A Postmortem

Well nothing new here, but its nice to vent all in one place.

Didn't expect much goin in, how could you...the only things that were really disappointing was the inability to score a TD when we were inside the 5 and turning the ball over in the last minute of the first half giving them another TD.

Stacy Andrews should be in jail for robbery. 7+ million dollars? If they re-sign him in the offseason they really have no idea what they are doing in the front office.

Collins did OK, actually got beat with more bull-rushes than speed rushes by Freeney. If the other side of the line didn't suck so much too they could probably give him help against guys like Freeney and he wouldn't be a problem. At this point I have no problem if they don't get one of the top LTs as long as they get a defensive playmaker 1st and a Right Tackle with the next pick.

Benson runs hard and always falls foward when he's got a full head of steam. Would like to see what he could do with Palmer in the pocket.

Chris Henry brings nothing to the table. Whoever thinks otherwise needs to stop living in 2005.

They can't possibly let CJ AND TJ go. We have absolutley no idea what the other WRs can do.

We need pass rushers more than we need LBs. I know Go has been preaching about LBs who have to be accounted for and can blitz and confuse the OL leaving DLs on an island...we need to draft a DE who commands a double team. No matter how much time a healthy Palmer gets, no matter how well we tackle around the LOS, no matter how well we cover, we won't beat good teams if we don't have a guy who can run around the OT and get a sack on 3rd and 6. Geathers and Odom aren't there yet and really showed no signs of being dominant. Serviceable, yes...dominant, no.

Orakpo, Johnson, Selvie, Curry, when all the combine and workouts are said and done, who ever grades out as the best pass rusher has to be our pick. No matter how powerful the offense is we can't win if we can't get sacks or can't force the ball out early.

I would love to have a stud LB who can do it all, but with this basic 4-3 front everything else fails if you can't rountinely...fuck, once or twice, get to the QB without a blitz.

I think Collins did a good job for a rook. He got completely destroyed by Freeney on the one sack, and followed that up with a hold. You can't really tell how good of a run blocker is because they always run it straight up the middle. All in all I would be ok with him starting next season. He will no doubt improve and will look a lot better with Whitworth next to him.

Oh forgot to add...

Kyle Larson should be cut...seriously, this week. The Steelers punter (who was already a replacement for their original punter) was hurt a few weeks back and they signed some guy off the street who is better than Larson. Two of my best friends have played soccer all their lives, I've seen them punt footballs, they can do a better job than Larson.

At this point, you sacrifice his "talent" at being a good placeholder for someone who does the other 80% of their job well.

I guess now in week 14, you might as well just leave it...but they should rip his name plate off the locker so its clear that when the clock strikes 0:00 in week 17 he's officially looking for a job.

I'm really starting to warm to the idea of drafting a defensive player with the first pick. Collins has more than held his own, despite playing with 2 guys who may not be in the NFL next season and 1 guy who is an overrated piece of garbage (Andrews). Levi gets cut, period, and Andrews steals someone elses money next season.

So in round one I really like Curry as the long term solution at strong side linebacker. He is a freak athlete and can literally do everything, rush the passer, stop the run, defend the pass, etc etc. Him and Rivers would be a fucking sick combo. Curry or Rivers could possibly switch to the middle, but I think Dhani is playing well enough with garbage on either side of him.

In round two we draft the most versatile offensive lineman in the draft, Max Unger. Left tackle, left guard, center, right guard or right tackle, he has and can play them all. He is extremely intelligent and beast run blocker. He can either start at right tackle or center, depending on which is not filled through free agency.

This draft is going to be absolutely stacked with running backs, so we should be able to get a good back in round three. I like Rashad Jennings from Liberty. He's the Chris Wells on I-AA, minus the injuries. 6'1 230 with reported 4.4 speed. He transfered to Liberty from Pittsburgh when his father became ill.

I got the new plasma and watched the game in HD 720p.

That said it hurt to watch them.

But I will agree that our problems are mostly based on the O line. Stacey is terrible I was watching him and my fater and I both talked about how he got beat bad many times.

My draft would be,
1) tackle
2) center (or get one in FA if available )
3) DE
4) LB
5) another guard or tackle
6) LB
7) another tackle or guard

point is, IMO if we fix the line we can be like miami. Go from 1-15 to a winning team next year. Benson isnt the best Rb in the world, but give him a 3 year deal at a modest price. I would love to see what he would do behind a nice line and with a healthy palmer. That could fix a lot of our problems.

Oh well, lets hope for 09

[quote name='VonBlade' post='730630' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:17 PM']I'm delighted we pulled it out. Some ballsy play calls, great pressure, hard players, magnificent QB decisions. Really superb stuff today.

This is GoColts isn't it?

Oh.[/quote]
You're rapidly becoming one of my favorite posters VB.

Collins didn't play well. However, he's a rookie in his 3rd start. Did you see how bad Tony Ugoh (now solid LT for the Colts, former 1st rd pick) looked in his first few starts? Now compare the play of Collins to Stacy, who flat out got destroyed. I see way more upside in Collins.

[quote name='SlantNGo' post='730650' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:01 PM']Collins didn't play well. However, he's a rookie in his 3rd start. Did you see how bad Tony Ugoh (now solid LT for the Colts, former 1st rd pick) looked in his first few starts? Now compare the play of Collins to Stacy, who flat out got destroyed. I see way more upside in Collins.[/quote]

agreed....for now....Alexander will have him drowning in mediocrity before long though

I don't care how good Collins has looked "for a rookie", I want the best LT available when we draft with our first pick. Slide Collins to RT if you must.

Andrews is a joke. Ghuichec has proven he is only mediocre. I would draft LT with our first pick, then go defense, defense, C/G, defense, defense, WR/RB.

I actually think Benson could be exactly the kind of back we need to run with our offense. We just need to open some holes for the guy.

And fuck Larson, he's a punter, and an inconsistent one. He can be easily replaced.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='730662' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:28 PM']I don't care how good Collins has looked "for a rookie", I want the best LT available when we draft with our first pick. Slide Collins to RT if you must.

Andrews is a joke. Ghuichec has proven he is only mediocre. I would draft LT with our first pick, then go defense, defense, C/G, defense, defense, WR/RB.

I actually think Benson could be exactly the kind of back we need to run with our offense. We just need to open some holes for the guy.

And fuck Larson, he's a punter, and an inconsistent one. He can be easily replaced.[/quote]

LT first to be sure....Mack at center in round two if he's as good as advertised...They simply cannot continue the Bluto experiment any longer...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='730676' date='Dec 7 2008, 05:51 PM']Collins was damn good in the first half. not very good in the second half. the colts also pinned their ears back and just went at the QB non stop in the 2nd half too. and most LTs dont stop dwight freeney for a whole game.[/quote]
"damn good" and "not very good" ....
how about average and horrrendous as your adjectives/

Besides the 2 play sequence where Freeney bullied him for the sack and he got a hold on the next play Collins played great.

The whole first half the Colts overloaded his side of the field. DTs looped and stunted to his side, and LBs blitzed to his side...and even with Cook...or Livings or whoever the dude was playing next to him Collins held up and we moved the ball well early.

By the time the game was out of hand, and the colts were giving us 6 and 7 yards up the middle by going full-on-balls-out pass rush he started getting beat. But even then, the bigger problem was it was coming from both sides.

Take a moment, put the passion/anger/rage aside and think about something. If there were no pressure from the right side all game long, and Collins had a TE or a RB chipping on his side of the field 6 out of 10 plays...does anyone think Freeney would have had 3 sacks?

My point is, with our 2nd pick (be it round 2 or late in round one via trade) its entirley possible to get a 10 year starter at RT who can come in and play from day 1. This + a healthy Whitworth + a new Center (who I think everyone agrees isn't coming with one of our 1st two picks) will be enough to improve the line to where our Offense can move the ball again. That allows the team to get an instant impact defender with the #2, 3 , 4 or whatever pick.

Getting an impact guy in the front 7 who gets the D off the field on 3rd down is better for the team in the long run then not getting one and upgrading the LT spot. Cause even if we upgrade the LT spot, we still have to upgrade the RT spot and best case scenerio we have the 06 and 07 Bengals whose offense is impressive, but they can't beat good teams because they can't get off the field on third down.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='730704' date='Dec 7 2008, 06:43 PM']because you obviously dont know a fucking thing about football or u didnt watch.[/quote]

You obviously are still watching games thru those rose colored glasses of yours or
your still the same ignorant fan youve allways been.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='730636' date='Dec 7 2008, 04:31 PM']This draft is going to be absolutely stacked with running backs, so we should be able to get a good back in round three.[b] I like Rashad Jennings from Liberty. [/b]He's the Chris Wells on I-AA, minus the injuries. 6'1 230 with reported 4.4 speed. He transfered to Liberty from Pittsburgh when his father became ill.[/quote]

kind of reminds me of Michael Turner.

How many times has it been proven that a late round running back can produce as long as there is a good offensive line in front of him. This team needs to fix the OL,DL, and LB before they even think about a RB. I know SOP likes skill players so it wouldnt suprise me if the took a RB in round 2 but that would be the dumbest thing they could do. So knowing the Bengals that is what will happen. Fix the OL and many of the Bengals problems on the offensive side would be taken care of.

Let Andrews walk unless he will sign for backup money because that is all he is worth. The guy may be athletic as any big man but he cant play. Take a first round tackle try him at either LT or RT depending on how Levi and Collins are doing. Leave Whitworth at guard I just dont think that he is suited to play RT. Oh and for the love of God find a center that doesnt get blown up all the time. The Colts had a backup center in today and he didnt get driven off the line every play.

Archived