Is there a God? Definitive answer about to be revealed

VonBlade

I agree with the stance that we have finally reached the point where science is usurping religion in many ways, and I most definetely agree with keeping our government of lo these United States of America as secular as possible. Zeus no longer tosses bolts from Mount Olympus, we now know that lightning is a natural occurence.

However, as a non-practicing somewhat Christian-oriented sort of fellow, I also believe that the anti-religious backlash against some innocuous traditions needs to stop, ala the ACLU and such.

It is certainly a fine balancing act between government respecting the religious beliefs of everyone yet not succumbing to religious-based decision making.

Certainly the Founding Fathers warned against the intertwining of religion and governance, hell, isn't that one of the primary factors of the foundation of our country, fleeing the oppression of the Church of England?

So, each situation must be approached on a case-by-case scenario. The Ten Commandments shouldn't be displayed outside of public courthouses. But people should be allowed to display Nativity scenes in their lawns, and if there's a public place (like Fountain Square) where one viewpoint is on display, other viewpoints need to be allowed, even if they are perceived by many to be hateful (The KKK's cross on Fountain Square comes to mind).

As for the pursuit of scientific research, as long as ethical and moral guidelines are respected, I don't care what religious people think about it. If stem cell research can truly be exploited to save human lives or make them irretrievably better, than please don't get all up in arms about freaking embryos being people. They're not. And even if they are by God's defenition, I'd like to believe that my vision of God would see the wisdom in our work, which would be trying to improve the human race.

The end.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='744775' date='Feb 5 2009, 07:38 PM']I agree with the stance that we have finally reached the point where science is usurping religion in many ways, and I most definetely agree with keeping our government of lo these United States of America as secular as possible. Zeus no longer tosses bolts from Mount Olympus, we now know that lightning is a natural occurence.

However, as a non-practicing somewhat Christian-oriented sort of fellow, I also believe that the anti-religious backlash against some innocuous traditions needs to stop, ala the ACLU and such.

It is certainly a fine balancing act between government respecting the religious beliefs of everyone yet not succumbing to religious-based decision making.

Certainly the Founding Fathers warned against the intertwining of religion and governance, hell, isn't that one of the primary factors of the foundation of our country, fleeing the oppression of the Church of England?

So, each situation must be approached on a case-by-case scenario. The Ten Commandments shouldn't be displayed outside of public courthouses. But people should be allowed to display Nativity scenes in their lawns, and if there's a public place (like Fountain Square) where one viewpoint is on display, other viewpoints need to be allowed, even if they are perceived by many to be hateful (The KKK's cross on Fountain Square comes to mind).

As for the pursuit of scientific research, as long as ethical and moral guidelines are respected, I don't care what religious people think about it. If stem cell research can truly be exploited to save human lives or make them irretrievably better, than please don't get all up in arms about freaking embryos being people. They're not. And even if they are by God's defenition, I'd like to believe that my vision of God would see the wisdom in our work, which would be trying to improve the human race.

The end.[/quote]

nice post, Bung

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='744758' date='Feb 5 2009, 05:39 PM']:lol: Right. Al Qaeda isnt motivated by religion. Good call.[/quote]

You've never demonstrated the mental capacity with regard religion to understand my comment to begin with, so Ill just let it be, as your going to believe what you want to anyway.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='744775' date='Feb 5 2009, 07:38 PM']I agree with the stance that we have finally reached the point where science is usurping religion in many ways, and I most definetely agree with keeping our government of lo these United States of America as secular as possible. Zeus no longer tosses bolts from Mount Olympus, we now know that lightning is a natural occurence.

The end.[/quote]

Well said.

• 3 months later...
Bump for the atheist bus ads coming to America.

[url="http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090519/News01/905190308/1130"]http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs..../905190308/1130[/url]

[quote]Atheist ads get Transpo's OK
Bloomington bus line rejected signs, was sued.

By ED RONCO
Tribune Staff Writer

SOUTH BEND — Transpo will run ads from the Indiana Atheist Bus Campaign, the bus line's board announced at its meeting Monday.

The ads, which say "You can be good without God," were set to run before President Barack Obama's visit to South Bend.

But their installation on 20 city buses was delayed after Transpo asked to review the matter at its board meeting.

Bloomington's public bus service rejected the ads, which led to a lawsuit. The bus campaign's attorney had been in contact with Transpo, too, said Chip Lewis, chairman of the Transpo board of directors.

And the board met in closed session to discuss "threatened litigation" during its executive committee meeting Monday afternoon.

Lewis said Transpo has posted ads on buses from religious organizations, and so to deny the atheist ads would be inconsistent.

Charlie Sitzes, a spokesman for the Atheist Bus Campaign, declined to comment until the campaign's board meeting today.

He sounded glad at the news when told by a reporter, although the timing hasn't been perfect for the campaign.

Supporters had hoped to have the ads visible on city buses in time for President Barack Obama's visit to South Bend.

For a story last week on the issue, Sitzes told The Tribune that delaying the ads until Monday was as useful as "buying a 1972 Sears catalog."

Sitzes said the campaign wasn't aware that Transpo has the right to review ads that could be controversial.

Burkhart Advertising, the South Bend-based agency that contracts with Transpo for the ads, said its hands were tied — that its agreement with Transpo supersedes its agreement with advertisers.

And so, the delay.

Out of this, Lewis said Transpo is placing a moratorium on ads that aren't clearly commercial in nature until it can draft a specific policy.

Lewis said the bus authority didn't want to use this case to make "policy on the fly."

No word on when the ads will go up. [b]The contract does allow for other delays, including those caused by "an act of God." [/b][/quote]

Silly that a lawsuit was necessary...even funnier that the bolded last line is in the contract!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='777639' date='May 20 2009, 02:34 PM']You know as much as the RR is combative about things, folks on the other side of this are just as.

Whole thing makes me sick.[/quote]
Perhaps because many of us are sick of certain aspects of our life being controlled by ignorant superstition.

If it had never found its way into our political system and our public educational system it would be a non-issue.

Nobody protests the lift aerodynamics taught at flight schools, and yet when we want to apply the same methods (and their results) to the study of human origins in Kansas public schools, picketing materials at the local home depot sell out in minutes.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='777654' date='May 20 2009, 03:12 PM']Perhaps because many of us are sick of certain aspects of our life being controlled by ignorant superstition.

If it had never found its way into our political system and our public educational system it would be a non-issue.

Nobody protests the lift aerodynamics taught at flight schools, and yet when we want to apply the same methods (and their results) to the study of human origins in Kansas public schools, picketing materials at the local home depot sell out in minutes.[/quote]

Who's controlling your life? (despite what you think about it being ignorant superstition)

Its ALWAYS been in our political system (now I will grant you some wish to push that in areas that make even me uncomfortable), and until recently(in the span of history) our schools.

You fired the first shot good sir. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='777778' date='May 20 2009, 11:33 PM']Who's controlling your life? (despite what you think about it being ignorant superstition)

Its ALWAYS been in our political system (now I will grant you some wish to push that in areas that make even me uncomfortable), and until recently(in the span of history) our schools.

You fired the first shot good sir. ;)[/quote]

I forgot I posted here recently.

Ignorant politicians are controlling all of our lives. I say "controlling" meaning the people with the highest decision making power in our country, politicians.

[url="http://www.alternet.org/politics/140221/bush's_shocking_biblical_prophecy_emerges:_god_wants_to_%22%3Berase%22%3B_mid-east_enemies_%22%3Bbefore_a_new_age_begins%22%3B/"]This retard[/url] altered the course of all of our futures with his presidency.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='780185' date='Jun 3 2009, 03:27 PM']I forgot I posted here recently.

Ignorant politicians are controlling all of our lives. I say "controlling" meaning the people with the highest decision making power in our country, politicians.

[url="http://www.alternet.org/politics/140221/bush's_shocking_biblical_prophecy_emerges:_god_wants_to_%22%3Berase%22%3B_mid-east_enemies_%22%3Bbefore_a_new_age_begins%22%3B/"]This retard[/url] altered the course of all of our futures with his presidency.[/quote]

yeah he took it to a level that was pretty absurd.

i tend to fall more towards what obama was talking about in his call to renewal speech

part 1 starts here - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFOdOht5Ccs&feature=PlayList&p=7BD968F46BF675E3&index=4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFOdOht5Ccs...5E3&index=4[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='780198' date='Jun 3 2009, 03:55 PM'][b]yeah he took it to a level that was pretty absurd.[/b]

i tend to fall more towards what obama was talking about in his call to renewal speech

part 1 starts here - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFOdOht5Ccs&feature=PlayList&p=7BD968F46BF675E3&index=4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFOdOht5Ccs...5E3&index=4[/url][/quote]

Absurd, treasonous...

People in this thread seem to be using "religion" and "Christianity" interchangeably, which is simply ridiculous.

Now I cannot say I fully understand Christianity, so everything I say will be from the perspective of my own religion (Islam).

Anyone who claims that a religion such as Islam denies Science is simply ignorant on the matter. Islam gives no definitive point as to when the World was created, nor does it say how it was created, only that it was God's (Allah's) will for it to be created. Islam in no way denies evolution, big bang, or any similar theories. IMO, evolution is common sense and anyone who fails to see the logic behind it must be missing something. I'm not entirely sure about Big Bang, but I see no reason why it isn't a plausible theory.

Islam in general actually tends to embrace science, looking through history you can see that Muslims have been involved in a great deal of scientific and mathematical advancements. From Astronomy, to medicine, to algebra, etc. I read earlier in this thread someone saying that Islam denies or disallows the use of modern medicine or something along those lines. I don't recall exactly what was stated, but it was false at any rate.

I have plenty of "evidence" (of course there is no conclusive evidence for either side of the debate) that leads me to believe that Islam is the most logical belief to follow. Upon request I can outline why I do believe that Islam is the correct faith. I always try to keep an open mind about these things, because who doesn't want to know the truth about life and the earth in general? But some of the outlandish statements I've seen posted about religion here are just ridiculous.

Regarding terrorism from followers of Islam, anyone who has actually taken the time to read the Quran would know that suicide of any kind is strictly forbidden, as is murder, bigotry, and the like.

People who seemingly follow a religion should not be looked at as living manifestations of there beliefs. You have a number of terrorists who are Muslims, and you have over a billion more who wouldn't hurt a fly.

[quote name='BengalsRZ' post='780829' date='Jun 5 2009, 11:45 PM']. I'm not entirely sure about Big Bang, but I see no reason why it isn't a plausible theory.[/quote]

And, as much as those who would hate the merits of religious philosophy would be loathe to admit, the Big Bang Theory was originally offered by a Catholic priest/scientist and was disregarded by Einstein before Hubble made it more 'believable'...

Just sayin'...

[quote name='BengalsRZ' post='780829' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:45 PM'][b]People in this thread seem to be using "religion" and "Christianity" interchangeably, which is simply ridiculous. [/b]

Now I cannot say I fully understand Christianity, so everything I say will be from the perspective of my own religion (Islam).

Anyone who claims that a religion such as Islam denies Science is simply ignorant on the matter. Islam gives no definitive point as to when the World was created, nor does it say how it was created, only that it was God's (Allah's) will for it to be created. Islam in no way denies evolution, big bang, or any similar theories. IMO, evolution is common sense and anyone who fails to see the logic behind it must be missing something. I'm not entirely sure about Big Bang, but I see no reason why it isn't a plausible theory.

Islam in general actually tends to embrace science, looking through history you can see that Muslims have been involved in a great deal of scientific and mathematical advancements. From Astronomy, to medicine, to algebra, etc. I read earlier in this thread someone saying that Islam denies or disallows the use of modern medicine or something along those lines. I don't recall exactly what was stated, but it was false at any rate.

I have plenty of "evidence" (of course there is no conclusive evidence for either side of the debate) that leads me to believe that Islam is the most logical belief to follow. Upon request I can outline why I do believe that Islam is the correct faith. I always try to keep an open mind about these things, because who doesn't want to know the truth about life and the earth in general? But some of the outlandish statements I've seen posted about religion here are just ridiculous.

Regarding terrorism from followers of Islam, anyone who has actually taken the time to read the Quran would know that suicide of any kind is strictly forbidden, as is murder, bigotry, and the like.

People who seemingly follow a religion should not be looked at as living manifestations of there beliefs. You have a number of terrorists who are Muslims, and you have over a billion more who wouldn't hurt a fly.[/quote]

I think that's due to Christianity being the largest and most influential religion in this country at this time. It's probably safe to say that when "religion" is mentioned in reference to America, Christianity is usually the first thought for most as most people who consider themselves "religious" identify themselves with one of the branches of Christianity, statically speaking of course.

As for the other points you made regarding Islam, I disagree, but at this point can't make an intelligent, respectful rebuttal. I've been re-reading the Koran and various hadith canons recently, and may address this again at a later date.

**Edit**

And it's not the history of scientific and mathematical advancements that I disagree with; the existence of Algebra pretty much cinches up that argument...

Archived