Anyone know how to boost my wifi signal downstairs?

sois

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with boosting a wifi signal. I have my router and modem upstairs in the office and downstairs I have the XBOX360. Right now, the 360 is struggling to stay connected at a high level. It is also something that is intermittently working well, so I don't really know what the deal is.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

[quote name='sois' post='739381' date='Jan 12 2009, 02:33 PM']Crappy Linksys WRT54G. I will buy a new router if that permanently fixes the issue.[/quote]
It might. I had a D-Link a while ago, and had trouble with the signal between floors. When I got AT&T U-Verse, I switched to use their built-in router/gateway, and now I get excellent signal throughout the house and even in the backyard. Awesome.
Both routers are 802.11g.

i have a netgear, the black stand up one. like $129-149... it works across the parking lot from my apartment through 1 other building...

there are a few ways to extend you ignal but its all hassle and nearly as expensive as new good router.. youll be happiest if you get a good high end wireless router.

[quote name='sois' post='739381' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:33 PM']Crappy Linksys WRT54G. I will buy a new router if that permanently fixes the issue.[/quote]

Actually... I've used Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, and Netgear and I the only one I'd buy over is the Linksys... it has the Cisco routing engine in it and all you'll need is the Linksys WRE54G

Linksys' range extender. It'll amplify the signal quite nicely. I use one now to repeat signal so I have it from the router to over 200 ft away, at least.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='739446' date='Jan 12 2009, 09:24 PM']i have a netgear, the black stand up one. like $129-149... it works across the parking lot from my apartment through 1 other building...

there are a few ways to extend you ignal but its all hassle and nearly as expensive as new good router.. youll be happiest if you get a good high end wireless router.[/quote]

I got a $40 D-Link N router. Mine works a ways into the parking lot, and haven't test it further.

Microcenter is way cheap if 100+ isn't your cup of tea.

Course I suppose I don't have a fancy routing engine or a 1Gig plugged port. thingy.

[quote name='sois' post='739381' date='Jan 12 2009, 03:33 PM']Crappy Linksys WRT54G. I will buy a new router if that permanently fixes the issue.[/quote]

Before you go buying anything, try dd-wrt or tomato firmware.
It is a linux based firmware that can be used on WRT54G
[url="http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php"]Turn your $60 router into a $600 router[/url]

There has been an update to it since that article was written, but it should be helpful.

Key Section
[quote][b]Boost your wireless signal[/b]

The first thing I did after I finished the firmware upgrade was give my wireless signal a much needed boost ("needed" in the sense any signal boosting that can be done needs to be done, right?). Doing so is trivial.

Go to the Wireless tab, then to Advanced Settings. Find the entry labeled Xmit Power, which is set by default at a paltry 28mW, and can be set up to 251mW. To be honest, I don't know much about the science of the whole process, but I do know that 251 is WAY bigger than 28. However, you probably don't want to pump it up to 251mW right away.[/quote]

I have used it, and it works great. You can also do so much more with the router.

[quote name='bodah' post='739566' date='Jan 13 2009, 11:45 AM']Before you go buying anything, try dd-wrt or tomato firmware.
[url="http://lifehacker.com/software/router/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-router-178132.php"]Turn your $60 router into a $600 router[/url]

There has been an update to it since that article was written, but it should be helpful.

Key Section

I have used it, and it works great. You can also do so much more with the router.[/quote]

I might have to try this, thanks!

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='739536' date='Jan 13 2009, 09:32 AM']Why would wireless routers be junk. The days of homenetworking through cables are over.[/quote]

Because they die?

I'm not saying to not use wireless, I'm just saying that they're junky and need to be replaced sometimes.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='739744' date='Jan 14 2009, 01:32 AM']Because they die?

I'm not saying to not use wireless, I'm just saying that they're junky and need to be replaced sometimes.[/quote]

i was on the border of wanting all wired networking in my house, but turns out my 4 year old router just crapped out and was ..junk.. but i have no issues spending $150(max) every 4 years for a high end quality router (as far as using in a home is concerned).. i doubt most people would either...

wireless works great, and a good router lasts several years..

[quote name='bodah' post='739566' date='Jan 13 2009, 12:45 PM']Before you go buying anything, try dd-wrt or tomato firmware.

Key Section

I have used it, and it works great. You can also do so much more with the router.[/quote]

I just went and checked my router there isn't an Xmit Power setting so you must first have to do the firmware upgrades to actually have access to that setting.

As for wireless routers just "not working anymore"... The other routers I named... They still work - just not as well as the Linksys does. I've not known these things to just stop working. A rare instance, just like any other electronics device, sure.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='739784' date='Jan 14 2009, 08:24 AM']I just went and checked my router there isn't an Xmit Power setting so you must first have to do the firmware upgrades to actually have access to that setting.

As for wireless routers just "not working anymore"... The other routers I named... They still work - just not as well as the Linksys does. I've not known these things to just stop working. A rare instance, just like any other electronics device, sure.[/quote]

When I did it, I did have to install the firmware first, then you have the option to change that setting.

You have to play with it though. I read somewhere that if you go too high with it you can cause it to overheat.
When I set mine, I had to adjust it, if I went too high, I lost all signal, I had to find a "Sweet Spot" that was a vast improvement in signal, but not too high that caused it to lose all signal. Its best to have a wired computer while adjusting because if you lose the signal, you have get back into the router to set it back down.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='740527' date='Jan 16 2009, 05:40 PM']Saturation maybe? Like when you drive past the broadcast antenna of the radio station you're listening to?[/quote]

Yeah, that's a thought, I would tend to think it'd be quickly thereafter attenuated though down to a reasonable level just through the air and furniture. But it that is mic'ing up the noise level, then yeah, it'd be the culprit.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='741421' date='Jan 21 2009, 06:25 AM']I know you solved your problem, sois, but for the sake of discussion, I got [url="http://:%20<a%20href="http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessNRoutersandGateways/WNR834B.aspx"%20target="_blank">http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...ys/WNR834B.aspx</a>"]this Netgear wireless router[/url] when I moved to my current apartment, with the same ISP and modem as before, the connection was far better than a wired connection with that Linksys router, and it was relatively new. *shrug* It also worked great downstairs. Just a thought if you ever decide to get a new one. Netgear has won me over.[/quote]

Thanks CT, this will be the next step if my 360 starts acting laggy. Can't have slow gaming. That will ruin my K/D ratio.

Archived