New Gameday Thread

Bengals1181

If we can get him back on a 9 innings every day basis, that would be a huge boost to our sagging offense.

I am also seeing rumors that Bronson might be on the trade block (which wouldn't make my wife happy, he is one of her favorite players). Maybe they think Homer is close to being ready.

Be interesting to see what we could get for him. A right handed power hitting LF maybe?

[quote name='Jason' post='741401' date='Jun 23 2009, 09:42 AM']If we can get him back on a 9 innings every day basis, that would be a huge boost to our sagging offense.

I am also seeing rumors that Bronson might be on the trade block (which wouldn't make my wife happy, he is one of her favorite players). Maybe they think Homer is close to being ready.

Be interesting to see what we could get for him. A right handed power hitting LF maybe?[/quote]

I would definitely consider trading Arroyo at this point. That would still leave us with 6 pitchers that hopefully could start in the majors (Cueto, Volkie, Harang, Owings, Maloney, and Bailey). I think that Bailey is ready, we just have to give him more opportunities, instead of just sending him out there for one game then sending him back down. Next time we call him up it needs to be with the mindset that he stays up.

As for Votto, we really need him, but can we really expect him to hit like he did before his injury? Hopefully he can come back and put up decent numbers.

We also really need Edwin back as well.

One final thought....• OF Chris Dickerson(notes) has seven hits in his last nine at-bats, but manager Dusty Baker has persisted in playing OF Willy Taveras(notes), who has 11 hits in his last 103 at-bats.

SWEET

From John Fay...
[quote]Beat goes on for Bailey
Posted by JohnFay at 6/22/2009 11:33 PM EDT
Homer Bailey went seven innings and allowed one run on six hits in Louisville's 11-5 win over Gwinnett tonight. He struck out eight and walked one.

By the way, Edwin Encarnacion went 1-for-3 with a 3-run homer and a walk in the game.

Bailey's 4-0 with a 0.47 ERA over his last five starts. He's gone 38 1/3 innings, allowing 30 hits. He's walked seven and struck out 38.

You've got to think he'll get a start when the Reds need a fifth starter. I believe that's Saturday.[/quote]

[quote]Update: Votto is in Toronto
Posted by JohnFay at 6/22/2009 7:14 PM EDT
Update: Joey Votto is in Toronto. The Reds haven't announced anything. But you can bet your Tony Perez rookie card that he'll be in the lineup tonight.

I've been waiting for a call back from Walt Jocketty all day. I still haven't heard back. Votto is not in the lineup for any of the Reds' minor league teams. And a "Joey Votto" is registered at the team hotel in the Toronto.

Votto told Paul Daugherty yesterday that he was ready to go. I'll update if Jocketty gets back to me.[/quote]

Both sound encouraging to me. How great would it be if Homer comes back up Saturday and shows that he has his stuff and pitches dominant. Im still having dreams about a future rotation consisting of 3 dominant pitchers in Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='741431' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:20 AM']I would definitely consider trading Arroyo at this point. That would still leave us with 6 pitchers that hopefully could start in the majors (Cueto, Volkie, Harang, Owings, Maloney, and Bailey). I think that Bailey is ready, we just have to give him more opportunities, instead of just sending him out there for one game then sending him back down. Next time we call him up it needs to be with the mindset that he stays up.

As for Votto, we really need him, but [b]can we really expect him to hit like he did before his injury?[/b] Hopefully he can come back and put up decent numbers.

We also really need Edwin back as well.

One final thought....• OF Chris Dickerson(notes) has seven hits in his last nine at-bats, but manager Dusty Baker has persisted in playing OF Willy Taveras(notes), who has 11 hits in his last 103 at-bats.

SWEET[/quote]

I'm not worried about Joey's hitting. He is the best natural hitter to come through this organization in a LONG time. That is not to say he will keep the pace he was keeping before his "injury". He was putting up Ted Wiliams like numbers, and I don't think he's [b]THAT[/b] good.

Bailey has been pitching really well since he started throwing a splitter that one of the other pitchers taught him.
I don't know if his success will continue at the majors but we are at least seeing some improvement.

June: 5 starts, 4 wins - 0 losses, 0.47 ERA, 38.1 Innings, 30 Hits, 2 Runs, 7 BB, 38 Ks

6/02: 8 Innings, 4 Hits, 0 Runs, 2 BB, 8 K
6/07: 6.2 Innings, 7 Hits, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 6 K
6/12: 8.2 Innings, 6 Hits, 1 Run, 2 BB, 9 K
6/17: 8 Innings, 7 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 7 K
6/22: 7 Innings, 6 Hits, 1 Run, 2 BB, 8 K

[b]Mod note:[/b]

I just deleted a bunch of posts that were from January and were about DT's from before the draft. I'm not sure how they got merged into this thread, but I got rid of them, just in case someone was wondering what happened to their posts from months ago.

And, Joey Votto returning demands a happy dance!

Votto is now officially off the DL!

Link: [url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090622/SPT04/306220053/1071/Votto+off+disabled+list"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009062...f+disabled+list[/url]

:dance: :dance:

[quote name='CTA513' post='773009' date='Jun 23 2009, 12:53 PM']Bailey has been pitching really well since he started throwing a splitter that one of the other pitchers taught him.
I don't know if his success will continue at the majors but we are at least seeing some improvement.

June: 5 starts, 4 wins - 0 losses, 0.47 ERA, 38.1 Innings, 30 Hits, 2 Runs, 7 BB, 38 Ks

6/02: 8 Innings, 4 Hits, 0 Runs, 2 BB, 8 K
6/07: 6.2 Innings, 7 Hits, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 6 K
6/12: 8.2 Innings, 6 Hits, 1 Run, 2 BB, 9 K
6/17: 8 Innings, 7 Hits, 0 Runs, 1 BB, 7 K
6/22: 7 Innings, 6 Hits, 1 Run, 2 BB, 8 K[/quote]

Damn, those are good numbers...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='782011' date='Jun 23 2009, 02:47 PM']Damn, those are good numbers...[/quote]
They are, and they are much better than the numbers he was posting in AAA before we brought him up the last time this year.

We need him to be good, especially if Votto's return fails to ignite the rest of the team's offense, because if that happens and we find ourselves only a few games back around the trade deadline, I think we move a guy like Arroyo (or maybe even Harang?) for a quality right-handed bat, and Homer would take his place in the rotation.

[quote]Votto: Father's death led to depression, panic attacks
Posted by JohnFay at 6/23/2009 4:33 PM EDT
Joey Votto said his father's death in August led to depression and severe anxiety attacks.

Votto said he suppressed his feelings for the rest of the 2008 season.

"I was severely depressed in the offseason," he said.

Baseball was a refuge. Votto said he was dealing with things pretty well until he got sick in May. He said an incident in Milwaukee was the worst of the three which happened on the field. "I was totally overwhelmed," he said.

He had one more bad incident while on the DL in early June. He ended up calling 911 at 3 or 4 in morning and going to the hospital. "I could not take it," he said. "I thought I was going to die."

I'm going to transcribe the tape now. What he said was pretty powerful. I'll post of all of it when I get it done.[/quote]

Im glad he's back, but who knows really if this will continue to affect him...kinda scary stuff.

[quote]Votto: It all relates to his father’s death
By Hal McCoy | Tuesday, June 23, 2009, 04:35 PM
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Be the first person to comment on Votto: It all relates to his father's death...
Post your comment
It was all about his father - nothing more, nothing less.

During an amazing 15 minutes of candid monologue, Joey Votto told the media how he bottled up his feelings about his dad’s death last August, “Put it on the back burner and played baseball,” is how he put it.

But it all come bursting out this season, to the point where Votto said he thought he might die on the field in Milwaukee and to the pint where he couldn’t make it through the night by himself and dialed 911 to take him to the hospital.

Votto took a bereavement leave of absence after his father, Joseph, died at age 52 - “The guy who listened to every Reds game, the guy who taught me the game, the guy who played catch with me every day.”

After the bereavement, Votto came back to the Reds and he said today, “The first day back I put it all on the back burner and just played baseball from August all the way to the end of September. I don’t want to use the word suppress, because he was in my thoughts and I was dealing with it daily, but as powerful moment as it was to lose your father when he was so young, nevertheless, I did suppress it.

“From the end of the season until the beginning of spring training, I was severely depressed, dealing with the anxieties of sadness and fear and every emotion anybody goes through. I had a really difficult time with it. I was by myself in Florida and when baseball started back up in February I did the same thing I did last August - threw it all my emotions aside and just played baseball again.”

Then came the inner infection. No baseball. More time to think.

“Taking the time away from baseball and recovering from being sick was the first time all my emotions that I had been pushsing to the side, that I had been struggling with in the winter, nailed me and hit me, a hundred times more than I had been dealing with in the off-season,” he said.

“I came out of three separate games,” he said. “The first one (in Arizona) was a combination of me being ill, but I could tell something was going on because I couldn’t recover. I had this feeling of anxiety in my chest.”

Then the second time I came out (in San Diego) and it was similar, but the third time was in Milwaukee and I was just totally overwhelmed. Doctors told me I was dealing with being depressed with anxiety and panic attacks.

“It was overwhelming me where I had to go to the hosptial on two occasions, once in San Diego,” he said. “Nobody was told about it, but I went to the hospital when the team was on the road (Milwaukee-St. Louis) but it was very, very scary and crazy night. I had to call 911 at 3 or 4 in the morning - probably the scariest moment I’ve ever dealt with in my life.

“The days I was taken off the field were miniature versions of what I was dealing with by myself. Ever since late May I have been struggling with this in my private life. I’d go on the field and try to play well, but I couldn’t do it any more because I was overwhelmed physically with the stuff I was dealing with off the field finally seeped its way onto the field and I finally just had to put an end to it. I really couldn’t go out there. I physically couldn’t do my job.”

Vott has seen some doctors and is confident he is ready to return to the field and be productive. Speaking to people and letting them know what I’ve been dealing with, how difficult this grieving process has been, has helped.”

Votto talked the his Reds teammates last week and talked a couple of times with manager Dusty Baker in the last week.

“I’m the oldest of four brothers and I feel I’m the head of the family,” he said. “Maybe I have a proclivity for anxiety and depression, whatever it is, but I was dealt with some unusual circumstances - the combination of being a major-league ballplayer, a young ball player, and also dealing with my father and my family.”[/quote]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='782074' date='Jun 23 2009, 09:52 PM']i wish we would just trade arroyo.[/quote]
I'm on board with that trade. A good negotiator for the Reds can easily point to his wins and demand a certain player, or money, or both. Even if wins are a terrible way to evaluate starting pitching.

If we are still in contention (within 4-5 games out) at the deadline, I sure do hope we do [i]something[/i].

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='782169' date='Jun 24 2009, 04:29 PM'][b]Volquez looks like he is gonna be out till the allstar break...[/b]

Bailey should get the start Saturday, and might get 3 starts before the break.

Hopefully Bailey can stay up for good this time, then figure out what to do when Edison gets back.[/quote]
Noooooo! Where did you hear that?

Dammit!

:angry:

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='782177' date='Jun 24 2009, 06:21 PM'][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s...Category=blog07[/url][/quote]

No workee... :mellow:

[quote name='Jason' post='782194' date='Jun 24 2009, 09:54 PM']Note to Dusty: If we are in Toronto on June 24th next year, and Bronson is still on the team, [b]DO NOT START HIM UNDER [u][i]ANY[/i][/u] CIRCUMSTANCES!!!![/b]

That is all.[/quote]

Now that i think about it, it doesnt really matter when our offense can only muster up 3 hits...so bad right now.

Archived