Don't tell me the Steelers don't get official help...

Tigris

[quote name='oftt4' post='744275' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:43 PM']Well, this is a new one.

Any others?[/quote]
Somebody else saw it here on the board....it's in the Off SB thread....would be nice to see it again.....take that 7 awy from pissburgh and Cards scoring.....game Cards <_<

Sort of OT...but maybe not.

I saw Bob Knight on an ESPN segment several weeks ago. He was watching film showing how, on any given play around the lane, certain teams/players are rarely if ever called for traveling. He showed like 5 different shots from high-profile NCAA games--usually those in the tournament or big-time telly games. It was amazing to see guys like Hansbrough get away with steps over and over again. The General was lamenting that calls that were always made years ago...rarely consistently get called today--especially in "big" games. All he could say was "not much you can do, it's all about the television dollars".

And this was with the NCAA.

This trend in the NFL towards rewarding the "star power" is not just limited to the Stealers (although they always seem to benefit the most for some reason)...I have been noticing this with all high-profile teams in recent years...especially in the "big" games. It's been going on for years in the NBA...so it doesn't surprise me that the NFL has followed suit.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='744285' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:11 PM']Sort of OT...but maybe not.

I saw Bob Knight on an ESPN segment several weeks ago. He was watching film showing how, on any given play around the lane, certain teams/players are rarely if ever called for traveling. He showed like 5 different shots from high-profile NCAA games--usually those in the tournament or big-time telly games. It was amazing to see guys like Hansbrough get away with steps over and over again. The General was lamenting that calls that were always made years ago...rarely consistently get called today--especially in "big" games. All he could say was "not much you can do, it's all about the television dollars".

And this was with the NCAA.

This trend in the NFL towards rewarding the "star power" is not just limited to the Stealers (although they always seem to benefit the most for some reason)...I have been noticing this with all high-profile teams in recent years...especially in the "big" games. It's been going on for years in the NBA...so it doesn't surprise me that the NFL has followed suit.[/quote]
This is a much more innocuous POV than my own, but I appreciate it greatly. Perhaps the NFL has "just" gone NBA, and not full-blown WWE.

But I'm still not certain... <_<

[quote name='T-Dub' post='744289' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:20 PM']More? Sure.

That one Stealers drive had about 35 yards on penalties. There was a defensive holding call on AZ that was completely bogus, I mean not even close.

Also pretty sure Ben was past the LOS on that TD.[/quote]

I'm all for anti stealer shit, but Ben was a good 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage on that TD.

[quote name='oftt4' post='744269' date='Feb 3 2009, 08:24 PM']Was that an attempt to be clever? Swing and a miss.

Anyhoo, if they believed the call was wrong then I believe they would have said so. [b]They have done exactly that in the past.[/b][/quote]

name once ever...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='744180' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:28 PM']It's their fucking [b]job[/b] to watch...[/quote]

Why? The play was over and the kicking team was coming onto the field. If Holmes had run back onto the field of play and did the salt thing then yes it would be their job to watch it. Again, I don't really know if they saw it or not. Also, I don't remember Holmes doing the salt thing on the field of play. I thought he made the catch and stayed on the sidelinw but I am going off memory, not DVR or Tivo. He also waited a bit before he did the salt thing so maybe the official turned his head and was getting into position for the point after.

It was still a very tame thing at best and who knows what was said to the officiating crew beforehand.

The roughing the passer call was pure nonsense as was the chop block call.

That defensive holding was total horseshit, too. I mean there wasn't even contact and besides that was probably within 5 yards anyway since it was a shallow crossing route.

I mean fuck it, I resigned myself to this bullshit when they won the last one. I try to remain objective and not let my overwhelming Stealers hate cloud my judgement but I notice shit like this for the "premier" teams I like, too, such as the Cowboys.

We're talking about a league founded by bookies and degenerate gamblers, after all.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='744330' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:34 PM']That defensive holding was total horseshit, too. I mean there wasn't even contact and besides that was probably within 5 yards anyway since it was a shallow crossing route.

I mean fuck it, I resigned myself to this bullshit when they won the last one. I try to remain objective and not let my overwhelming Stealers hate cloud my judgement but I notice shit like this for the "premier" teams I like, too, such as the Cowboys.

We're talking about a league founded by bookies and degenerate gamblers, after all.[/quote]

Yet they won't allow a commercial for Las Vegas to air during the * Bowl, even when it doesn't so much as allude to gambling.

Hypocrites, crooks, and thieves.

That's your NFL.

I'm damn near ready to give up...

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='744281' date='Feb 3 2009, 09:05 PM'][b]Somebody else saw it here on the board[/b]....it's in the Off SB thread....would be nice to see it again.....take that 7 awy from pissburgh and Cards scoring.....game Cards <_<[/quote]
Guilty as charged. It was Timmons jumping the snap count.

FWIW, there was another poster shortly thereafter that said he watched it again on slo-mo tivo and said it was not offsides. I don't have access to tape so I don't know for sure, but it looked way offsides to me at fullspeed.

If they'd called the block in the back on Harrison's return, the Steelers would have had the ball with about 4 seconds left on the Arizona 41. That's beyond Reed's range so they would have had a hail Mary chance (with Fitz probably lining up as the deep safety) and that's about it. Take away those points and Cards win.

[quote name='SF2' post='744326' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:18 AM']Why? The play was over and the kicking team was coming onto the field. [b]If Holmes had run back onto the field of play and did the salt thing then yes it would be their job to watch it[/b]. Again, I don't really know if they saw it or not. Also, I don't remember Holmes doing the salt thing on the field of play. I thought he made the catch and stayed on the sidelinw but I am going off memory, not DVR or Tivo. He also waited a bit before he did the salt thing so maybe the official turned his head and was getting into position for the point after.

It was still a very tame thing at best and who knows what was said to the officiating crew beforehand.

The roughing the passer call was pure nonsense as was the chop block call.[/quote]

He was STILL on the field... in the end zone... he'd never left. Unless of course you don't deem the end zone on the "field of play"...

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='744348' date='Feb 4 2009, 01:28 AM']

No offsides. That block in the back is 0:26 in, it looks to me like his left hand is in the middle of his back.[/quote]

Agreed. I'd heard the offsides stuff and went and looked at it but he timed it up right. It was just a good play by the safety and Harrison.

[quote name='sparky151' post='744360' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:17 AM']If they'd called the block in the back on Harrison's return, the Steelers would have had the ball with about 4 seconds left on the Arizona 41. That's beyond Reed's range so they would have had a hail Mary chance (with Fitz probably lining up as the deep safety) and that's about it. Take away those points and Cards win.[/quote]

That's not really how it works since the entire 2nd half would've unfolded differently based on the point margin. But it would've made it easier on the Cards without the ref bias.

Fumble or not, the Cards final play should've been reviewed. If only to prevent all of the flak that they caught over not reviewing it. The last play of the Super Bowl is ruled a fumble that moved forward out of the QB's hand and they won't even officially review it? That's amazing.

Is it just mere coincidence that both recent stealers Super Bowls were full of sketchy calls?

[size=5][b]SANTONIO LOSING NO SLEEP OVER LEBRON ROUTINE[/b][/size]
Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2009, 7:55 a.m.

One of the most overlooked aspects of the closing moments of Super Bowl XLIII is that Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes used the ball as a prop after his game-winning touchdown reception.

Using the football as a make-believe can of talcum powder, Santonio held the ball in his right hand and pretended to shake the powder onto his left palm.

He then threw the ball into the air, like the white cloud that LeBron James has become known for sending skyward.

Good stuff. [b]But the move should have resulted in a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.

For reasons still not known or apparent, the officials didn’t throw the flag.[/b]

“I wasn’t even thinking about it,” Holmes told me during Tuesday night’s “exclusive” (i.e., no other reporters were on the phone at the time) interview. “I wouldn’t have even cared about it if I did. It definitely wasn’t on my mind.”

But Holmes then pointed out that, if the move had drawn a flag, he “probably” would have cared later.

The chances of caring later “probably” would have increased dramatically, if the Steelers had been forced to kick off from their own 15 — and if the Cardinals had found a way in the final 35 seconds to score a touchdown.

[b]So it’s likely that Holmes’ only consequence will be a $10,000 fine.[/b] I asked him whether he’d happily pay it.

“What do you think I’m going to do?” he said. “Fight the league?”

He was laughing when he said that. But if that flag had been thrown and if the Cardinals had scored a touchdown to win the game, Holmes might have never laughed again.

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/04/santonio-losing-no-sleep-over-lebron-routine/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/04/...lebron-routine/[/url]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='744384' date='Feb 4 2009, 10:36 AM']He was STILL on the field... in the end zone... he'd never left. Unless of course you don't deem the end zone on the "field of play"...[/quote]

Look, I already said I wasn't sure if he was still on the field. Again, I don't know if a ref was watching him. He didn't do the Lebron thing immediately. He waited a bit and did it in the back of the endzone. My guess is the ref never expected to get that ball back so he turned his back and prepared for the point after.

Everyone is assuming that the refs saw this. The play had been over for at least 10 seconds and it is not their job to stare at a player who had just scored a touchdown 10 seconds earlier. They make the call and prepare for the next play. If Holmes had run out onto the field (not the corner of the endzone) drawn attention to himself and had done it he most likely would have been flagged.

Again you are assuming the refs saw it, I am saying I don't know if they saw it and I don't blame them if they didn't. There are 20 cameras in the stadium following every move, not so with the refs. The refs don't have the luxury of watching the entire field of play, they get into position for the next play which was the PAT. The ref would not be looking into the corner of the endone for a PAT.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='744419' date='Feb 4 2009, 11:41 AM']Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt part of the ref's job to get the ball back so they can move onto the EP attempt? If so wouldnt it have stood to reason that they did see it?[/quote]

more than reason, its the way it goes. [b]S[/b]tealer [b]F[/b]an [b]2[/b] is just finally confirming what we've all suspected since he joined.

Archived