FA Centers

Great article on the possible available FA centers. I think we should drastically overpay for Saturday if he is available and if not... we should go after Birk, no questions asked.

[url="http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090214/?pg=31&pm=1&u1=friend"]http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnews...1&u1=friend[/url]

[img]http://sportingnewstoday-cdn.texterity.com/tcprojects/sportingnewstoday/sportingnewstoday/inbox/59352/imgpages/82/snt20090214_0031_fg.png[/img]

Title... Top 5 Free Agent Centers

There is a side box showing those that are "Missing the Cut"
numero uno on that list: our very own Eric Ghiaciuc...

I just thought that was hilarious - did it even need mentioning?!? He didn't make it past the first round of these cuts did he?!

It's like "No Shit"...

[quote name='Quaker' post='747246' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:21 PM']Saturday would be nice, but the Bengals only have $6.00 to spend in FA.

Saturday won't be coming here.[/quote]
:lol:

Wait until Hobnob starts his articles...it might be $6.00 now...but after $2.25 for the rookie pool and $1.00 for the injury buffer we end up with only $2.75 to spend in FA :winky:

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='747250' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:26 PM']:lol:

Wait until Hobnob starts his articles...it might be $6.00 now...but after $2.25 for the rookie pool and $1.00 for the injury buffer we end up with only $2.75 to spend in FA :winky:[/quote]

The sad thing is this has become as expected as the change of seasons......

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='747250' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:26 PM']:lol:

Wait until Hobnob starts his articles...it might be $6.00 now...but after $2.25 for the rookie pool and $1.00 for the injury buffer we end up with only $2.75 to spend in FA :winky:[/quote]

And don't forget the escalators...or elevators...or whatever the hell they are called.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='747253' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:39 PM']I'm just surprised that they didn't even mention him. As of now he's scheduled to be a free agent.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he's an RFA, so he'll be offered a good tender I bet and be forced to return.

Anyways it's kind of sad that we drafted guichic despite the division we play in and that's what is said about him....

[quote name='turningpoint' post='747265' date='Feb 17 2009, 04:13 PM']I'm pretty sure he's an RFA, so he'll be offered a good tender I bet and be forced to return.

Anyways it's kind of sad that we drafted guichic despite the division we play in and that's what is said about him....[/quote]

They spent a 4th rounder on him, not really a big deal. I'm sure someone could do the math on it, but I'd guess that 4th rounders flop more often then not. Best case, it is 50/50.

And before we get on the size discussion, Richie was undersized too, and did just fine. Gaycheck did okay his 1st year playing too. That being said:

Good Riddance to Gaycheck..........(of course now they will sign him). Our big FA signing...... A veteran Center.... :)

[quote name='sparky151' post='747281' date='Feb 17 2009, 05:03 PM']Brown will be a UFA if he doesn't sign before then. I doubt he signs early instead of testing the market. Usually teams have to overpay to get a player to do that and the Ravens aren't in position to overpay with Lewis, Suggs, and even Scott and Leonhard also becoming UFAs.[/quote]

ill be surprised if they sign 3 of the 4... they are in a bad spot there...

its amazing how much the AFCN could change in a single offseason.

I think the Bengals should try hard to sign Jason Brown. He'll be made the highest paid center in the NFL no doubt, but he would be worth it. He's only 25 and is one of the top 3 or 4 centers in the league already, so he will only continue to get better.

I don't think it will ever happen but I can dream.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='747329' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:19 PM']ill be surprised if they sign 3 of the 4... they are in a bad spot there...

its amazing how much the AFCN could change in a single offseason.[/quote]

and somehow the fucking stealers find a fucking way to keep wininng!

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='747345' date='Feb 17 2009, 10:45 PM']and somehow the fucking stealers find a fucking way to keep wininng![/quote]

The stealers don't have much at risk in FA this offseason but they'll probably lose a bunch of players before 2010. Even the uncapped year won't help as they'll get outbid for their players by some richer teams.

[quote name='sparky151' post='747350' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:26 AM']The stealers don't have much at risk in FA this offseason but they'll probably lose a bunch of players before 2010. Even the uncapped year won't help as they'll get outbid for their players by some richer teams.[/quote]

this is going to screw over all the small market team like us!

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='747351' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:30 PM']this is going to screw over all the small market team like us![/quote]

uncapped football will be the end of football.. itl ltake 2-3 years totally go don the shitter, but itll be yankees style baseball in no time. and uncapped football means the bengals are the reds forever.. unable to pend a quarter billion on payroll so hope of a wild cardis always fun..

there is awlays a good mix of teams in the nfl playoffs, with a cap at least..

that will end ..

especially with the economy, small city thats already fucked up, and inability to make competitive payroll... = disaster.

and the steelers arent always in the playoffs, just recently, they were garbage for a while while the ravens reigned supreme.. for fucks sake jon kitna made a great comeback drive and td pass to matt schoebel against them.. in their house.. in 2003.

if they dont work out the cap.. the league is fucked...

Jeff Saturday might not be a good fit in out divison because he is a little smaller i would rather have Brown or Birk. I still dont think Brown is going to break the bank. Some team may try and pay him alot but I just dont see him being highest paid center in the league. I think he'll sign 5yrs 24 million...right around that range. Who knows though. I would be happy with either Birk or Brown but I do think we need to get one of them and 1 LB. Vilma, Crowder, Scott, Peterson any one of those and a 3rd corner maybe like a Bly, Buchanon, or a decent nickle corner. If we could get those 3 positions filled it will really open up the draft for us.

Also the squirrel just got released by NE. He has been a good speacial teamer there I honestly would not mind picking him back up. He has alot of talent and at worst he is still better than Holt and would be valuable on special teams. He will be available for probably the minimum or slightly more than the minimum.

[quote name='Mikey6866' post='747354' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:37 AM']Jeff Saturday might not be a good fit in out divison because he is a little smaller i would rather have Brown or Birk. I still dont think Brown is going to break the bank. Some team may try and pay him alot but I just dont see him being highest paid center in the league. I think he'll sign 5yrs 24 million...right around that range. Who knows though. I would be happy with either Birk or Brown but I do think we need to get one of them and 1 LB. Vilma, Crowder, Scott, Peterson any one of those and a 3rd corner maybe like a Bly, Buchanon, or a decent nickle corner. If we could get those 3 positions filled it will really open up the draft for us.

Also the squirrel just got released by NE. He has been a good speacial teamer there I honestly would not mind picking him back up. He has alot of talent and at worst he is still better than Holt and would be valuable on special teams. He will be available for probably the minimum or slightly more than the minimum.[/quote]
I have read multiple articles (don't feel like trying to find them) that said the Ravens have made numerous offers but he has refused them because he wants a contract similar (or more) to Jeff Faine's last season (6 years 37 million). No way he takes a deal worth less than 5 mill per season.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='747358' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:56 AM']I have read multiple articles (don't feel like trying to find them) that said the Ravens have made numerous offers but he has refused them because he wants a contract similar (or more) to Jeff Faine's last season (6 years 37 million). No way he takes a deal worth less than 5 mill per season.[/quote]

what palyers want and what they get are often different.. he will probably sign late.. and the team will likelt have to add a fake year to the end to mend the ego, turning a 4 yr 22 mil deal into a 5 year 36 mil deal, never seeing that magical end year..

with the competition at top talent FA centers, he wont likely get that much...

but who knows.. do any of the big stupid money spenders need a center? dallas? oakland?

i cant wait for something worth while to happen in the football world....

[quote name='GoBengals' post='747357' date='Feb 18 2009, 01:49 AM']with all the proposed depth at center in the draft, i cant imagine spending 35 mil a year on a center....

i just hope to unload chad now for some quality picks.[/quote]
Jason Brown would be a long term solution to what has been a very problematic spot. He's young but he has experience, so we won't have to suffer through a rookie playing an extremely integral part of the offense. One of the spots on the line (RT or C) HAS to be filled through free agency, so why not take a young extremely talented center?

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='747360' date='Feb 18 2009, 02:00 AM']Jason Brown would be a long term solution to what has been a very problematic spot. He's young but he has experience, so we won't have to suffer through a rookie playing an extremely integral part of the offense. One of the spots on the line (RT or C) HAS to be filled through free agency, so why not take a young extremely talented center?[/quote]

I'm with you 100% on this. He's the type of guy who would make our RBs and Carson look way better. And if the offense gets going, the D will start to look even better too. Basically, he would improve every area of the team in one fell swoop.

Also, Center is a tough spot to try to count on a rookie to step in because they usually make all the blocking calls on O.

Archived