Pittsburgh Steelers (Montecore) are on the clock

akiliMVP

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749636' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:37 PM']Didn't Brown come in a lot smaller than people expected?

I dunno, I'll vote for [u]Orakpo [/u]but as long as they are goin D they are goin in the right direction.[/quote]
Yes, like 6'1 and 254, something like that. Thats my only reservation, not sure he is a DE at that size

[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='749686' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:23 PM']Thats what I also think, if thats the case do you think he is worth the 6th pick?[/quote]
From what I've read I get the feeling that none of the DE/OLB guys (Orakpo, Maybin, Brown) are probably worth #6...but one or two of em may be gone by #10.

If this is who we are looking at...I'd hope we could move back a few spots and still grab one of em while using that extra pick for BPA in the 2nd.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749710' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:22 PM']From what I've read I get the feeling that none of the DE/OLB guys (Orakpo, Maybin, Brown) are probably worth #6...but one or two of em may be gone by #10.

If this is who we are looking at...I'd hope we could move back a few spots and still grab one of em while using that extra pick for BPA in the 2nd.[/quote]
I think if Smith and Monroe are gone (really starting to think they will be) we will be trying like crazy to move back, but I think its going to be hard this year b/c there are a lot of good players but not that group that causes people jump way up. You can get the same type player at 15 that you can at 6, why move up. Hopefully someone like Jax last year will be on drugs and really want someone bad

[quote name='msharp16' post='749723' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:06 PM']aarrrrgggghhhh... Crabtree... [b]I want OT, but not the left overs[/b] and I really don't see how any of those players fit a 4-3 scheme. If we went 3-4, is a good group to pick from...

and i do want to go 3-4 as soon as possible.[/quote]

it amazes me that two players, who 2 weeks ago many thought each might be the #1 overall pick, are now referred to as "leftovers".

Whoever ends up with either Oher or Smith are going to be pretty happy.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='749740' date='Feb 26 2009, 04:43 PM']it amazes me that two players, who 2 weeks ago many thought each might be the #1 overall pick, are not referred to as "leftovers".

Whoever ends up with either Oher or Smith are going to be pretty happy.[/quote]
Oher has been on a downward spiral all offseason. He is still a good prospect don't get me wrong, but he has shown to be extremely inconsistent during the Senior bowl practices and game. I also heard he seemed to have trouble with the drills at the combine, but I didn't watch the lineman so I can't say for sure.

Smith pretty much commited draft suicide by what he did at the combine. There were already issues with his dedication to keeping his weight down and ability to stay in shape, and he goes and shows up and admits that he is not in shape and has not been working out. I also heard that he completely tanked the interviews, likely because he wasn't coached up like all the other prospects. How do you not come fully prepared to basically [i]the[/i] job interview for a draft pick?

They are both immensely talented players with their own seperate issues that make them not worth the 6th pick. At this point I'd be happier with Oher because IMO his issues would be corrected easier and he could be a great right tackle day 1. Smith would be too but he may show up to training camp Jeremi Johnson style.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='749744' date='Feb 26 2009, 04:59 PM']It's a tough call between Orakpo and Brown. I think Orakpo would be the better DE, but Brown will be the better LB. I go with Brown.[/quote]
Brown with a narrow victory. Good job fellas.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='749741' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:53 PM']Oher has been on a downward spiral all offseason. He is still a good prospect don't get me wrong, but he has shown to be extremely inconsistent during the Senior bowl practices and game. I also heard he seemed to have trouble with the drills at the combine, but I didn't watch the lineman so I can't say for sure.

Smith pretty much commited draft suicide by what he did at the combine. There were already issues with his dedication to keeping his weight down and ability to stay in shape, and he goes and shows up and admits that he is not in shape and has not been working out. I also heard that he completely tanked the interviews, likely because he wasn't coached up like all the other prospects. How do you not come fully prepared to basically [i]the[/i] job interview for a draft pick?

They are both immensely talented players with their own seperate issues that make them not worth the 6th pick. At this point I'd be happier with Oher because IMO his issues would be corrected easier and he could be a great right tackle day 1. Smith would be too but he may show up to training camp Jeremi Johnson style.[/quote]

I agree with your comments on Smith's weight, but in the grand scheme of things does giving a crappy interview amount to much when you step on the field?.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='749791' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:25 PM']Brown with a narrow victory. Good job fellas.[/quote]

If we actually take him in the draft I will be very surprised. We don't play a 3-4 system and he can't play DE. The pick would make no sense at.

[quote name='Jason' post='749619' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:06 AM']Had we not taken Pat Sims last year I would agree. But Sims and Peko played well enough together last year that DT is no longer a 6th overall pick in the draft need. We have too many other bigger holes to fill.[/quote]
Raji is a big guy. I think he could plug any hole you find for him

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='749839' date='Feb 26 2009, 08:50 PM']Raji is a big guy. I think he could plug any hole you find for him[/quote]

If you had Raji, you would either have a terrific rotation for the 4-3 defense OR you could put Raji in the middle with Sims and Peko on the outside and play 3-4. Not only would Raji solidify the running game up the middle, but he would also give you the flexibility to play more 3-4 since he is a better option at Nose Tackle than either Peko or Sims. If the top two tackles are taken, I Raji over any of the DE's since none of them are sure fire picks. Each has a certain amount of risk involved where Raji does not. When they double teamed Raji from the start of the Senior Bowl that tells you something about the respect coaches already have for his ability.

[quote name='starkesn' post='749828' date='Feb 26 2009, 07:27 PM']If we actually take him in the draft I will be very surprised. We don't play a 3-4 system and he can't play DE. The pick would make no sense at.[/quote]

while I don't want us to draft Brown, the whole "so and so isn't big enough to play DE in the pros" is the biggest BS line in the NFL today.

if this "bengal S ed guy is supposed to be me, which i'm assuming here, i'll proceed.

the oakland raiders select "mr flypaper hands" michael crabtree. al davis rarely drafts WRs this high and has always loved speed guys at this position, but crabtree's upside is too high to pass up. getting russell a solid go to reciever will also go a long way to improving his maturation process.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='749900' date='Feb 26 2009, 09:59 PM']while I don't want us to draft Brown, the whole "so and so isn't big enough to play DE in the pros" is the biggest BS line in the NFL today.[/quote]
couldn't agree more. i think he'll end up the best pass rusher out of this draft.

Akili... not to be a stickler... but you posted this at 1:45 am yesterday morning

[quote]We are going with 5 votes BTW. Here's the tally thus far:
Raji - 4 (seriously WTF we aren't a 3-4 team people)
Everette Brown - 3
Orakpo - 2
Crabtree - 1[/quote]

And, at 4:45 am eva4ben-gal posted

[quote]I vote for Raji - will do for the D what Sam Adams was supposed to[/quote]

Wouldn't that give Raji 5 votes... no big deal just thought it was funny.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='750207' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:39 PM']Akili... not to be a stickler... but you posted this at 1:45 am yesterday morning

And, at 4:45 am eva4ben-gal posted

Wouldn't that give Raji 5 votes... no big deal just thought it was funny.[/quote]
That was an updated post ;)

I updated that morning when I checked it from 3 to 4 votes for Raji

[quote name='bengaled' post='750191' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:24 PM']if this "bengal S ed guy is supposed to be me, which i'm assuming here, i'll proceed.

the oakland raiders select "mr flypaper hands" michael crabtree. al davis rarely drafts WRs this high and has always loved speed guys at this position, but crabtree's upside is too high to pass up. getting russell a solid go to reciever will also go a long way to improving his maturation process.[/quote]
Yeah I obviously can't read all that well. I removed the S.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='749710' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:22 PM']From what I've read I get the feeling that none of the DE/OLB guys (Orakpo, Maybin, Brown) are probably worth #6...but one or two of em may be gone by #10.

If this is who we are looking at...I'd hope we could move back a few spots and still grab one of em while using that extra pick for BPA in the 2nd.[/quote]

i'm of the opinion you can nearly always make a trade. that's why you always see them on the phones prior to a selection. afterall, who else would we be calling? it's a matter of are you willing to take less than market value for what you want, but trades are available.

i think in this case, we might be better served to take a less than perfect trade value and get what we can, as long as it's reasonable. god i'd love the eagles two 1sts!

Archived