UC Bearcats' Demetrius Jones moving to LB?

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Jones scrambles over to LB[/b][/size]
[size=4][b]UC FOOTBALL[/b][/size]
Enquirer staff reports • March 10, 2009

University of Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly told ESPN.com on Monday that Demetrius Jones, the former Notre Dame quarterback who transferred to UC in 2007, will move to outside linebacker for the Bearcats next season.

Jones started at quarterback in Notre Dame's 2007 season-opening loss at home to Georgia Tech. He left the team after losing his starting job the following week and soon joined the Bearcats. That October, Jones had surgery on his right shoulder to fix a torn labrum.

Jones, who is listed on UC's Web site at 6 feet 3 and 210 pounds, was one of several quarterbacks to see playing time for the Bearcats in 2008. But with Tony Pike expected to be the 2009 starter, Kelly on Monday told ESPN he didn't want to waste Jones' skills.

"He's just too good of an athlete," Kelly said. "We need to get him on the field. So we're going to use this spring to take a look at him at that outside linebacker position."

Last year, Kelly had success moving Connor Barwin from tight end to defensive end. Barwin is expected to be taken in April's NFL Draft.

Kelly told ESPN Jones was open to the move.

"He just wants to play," Kelly said. "He knew Tony was going to be the starter and he's running out of time. He likes the opportunity, so we'll see what happens."[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090310/SPT0101/903100351/1062/SPT"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009031...100351/1062/SPT[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='765042' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:56 AM']wow i dont like that move. i thought barnet was SICK at Wr.[/quote]

I agree. I wonder if you guys will see him on both sides of the ball next year, like Darius Butler did at UConn last year (although from the opposite way CB -> WR)

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='765045' date='Apr 18 2009, 03:01 AM']I agree. I wonder if you guys will see him on both sides of the ball next year, like Darius Butler did at UConn last year (although from the opposite way CB -> WR)[/quote]

There was an article on a recruiting site that said he will likely play both ways. It also said it looks like a very natural switch and he actually picked off a pass in his first practice and took it back for a TD. They have Vidal Hazelton coming in and like 6-7 freshman WR's as well, so it may just be a numbers thing. The spring game this next weekend will be really interesting. (I plan on being there, so I will post my observations when I get a chance.)

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='765042' date='Apr 18 2009, 02:56 AM']wow i dont like that move. i thought barnet was SICK at Wr.[/quote]

they are pretty stacked at WR though, especially with the USC kid expected to start. Barnett played CB in high school.

As I understand it, he's still going to be a WR. He's just being practiced at CB for depth purposes. They aren't looking for him to be a starter.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='765238' date='Apr 19 2009, 10:11 AM']they are pretty stacked at WR though, especially with the USC kid expected to start. Barnett played CB in high school.

As I understand it, he's still going to be a WR. He's just being practiced at CB for depth purposes. They aren't looking for him to be a starter.[/quote]

my point was seeing him his freshman year (he struggled this past year with gilyard and goodman dominating so much) he looks to me like he can play WR in the NFL. but if he is a better CB then go for it. he is a great deep threat though i know that.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='766195' date='Apr 22 2009, 02:59 PM']I stand corrected. I heard Kelly say yesterday that Barnett has currently "won" one of the starting CB spots. Apparently he's been pretty impressive in spring practices.[/quote]

It's simply getting your best athletes on the field......you can always find a position for someone. He'll also see time at WR, how much depends on how Hazelton's case is decided upon by the NCAA.

Archived