March Madness 2009

JC

With the major tourny championships starting (and on the way), plus the big dance on the way, i figured this could be a pretty heavy thread.

Who is your favorite to win? Who do you think will be this years cinderalla? Since the one seeds are pretty much a lock, who is filling in behind as two seeds? Does UK make the tourny? It's all coming on sunday and there really isn't a better time of the year. Your own final four?

I personally think UCONN is going to win it all. Solid PG play, a big guy, and some good players in the mix.

I think UNC is going to get upset in the sweet sixteen. Ty Lawson's toe is lingering and they really just aren't that good this year, i don't believe.

I also think that Michigan State will get upset early and Oklahoma won't get past the sweet 16.

Sleeper team this year will be Florida State.

My final four: UCONN PITT DUKE WAKE.

I do think that it will be an all ACC and Big East final four though.

[quote name='JC' post='755084' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:54 PM']With the major tourny championships starting (and on the way), plus the big dance on the way, i figured this could be a pretty heavy thread.

Who is your favorite to win? Who do you think will be this years cinderalla? Since the one seeds are pretty much a lock, who is filling in behind as two seeds? Does UK make the tourny? It's all coming on sunday and there really isn't a better time of the year. Your own final four?

I personally think UCONN is going to win it all. Solid PG play, a big guy, and some good players in the mix.

I think UNC is going to get upset in the sweet sixteen. Ty Lawson's toe is lingering and they really just aren't that good this year, i don't believe.

I also think that Michigan State will get upset early and Oklahoma won't get past the sweet 16.

Sleeper team this year will be Florida State.

My final four: UCONN PITT DUKE WAKE.

I do think that it will be an all ACC and Big East final four though.[/quote]

UK doesn't make it.

I like Uconn / UNC in the finals...

Duke... final four... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Duke will be lucky to see sweet 16...

You can be a Duke homer but come on... Ty Lawson's toe, yes, but UConn lost Jerome Dyson period. So...

Final Four - UCONN, PITT, UNC, WAKE (for lack of a better option here...)

I know i'm a bit optimistic with the Duke thing, but there just doesn't seem to be any other teams that seem that dominant. I see Carolina getting knocked off because they don't play that much defense. When they have an off night there not going to win. I don't see Oklahoma doing well. I think most of the two seeds are overrated and beatable. Maybe Louisville, but they weren't exactly great at the start of the season.

If Duke does put it together and Gerald takes over games and Singler isn't worn out we could be in good shape. Getting Nolan back and some big threes from Paulus off the bench we could easily be playing for a final four game.

They could get knocked out in the sweet sixteen as well, it's just all in the team that shows up. The one that played in Chapel Hell last week in the first half was a final four team. The one that showed up after halftime was a sweet sixteen team.

I think since the top teams in the top two conferences seem so dominant this year, that it's hard to see anyone else making it. If it's not a ACC-Big East Final Four, i would be very suprised.

[quote]Ty Lawson's toe, yes, but UConn lost Jerome Dyson period. So...[/quote]

Yeah, but Ty Lawson doesn't really have a backup. And he is the ACC player of the year. UCONN has Thabeet and Price. Not saying that can't win without Tywon, but they are a completely different team. They wouldn't have beat Duke without him.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='755142' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:51 AM']UK doesn't make it.

Duke... final four... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Duke will be lucky to see sweet 16...

You can be a Duke homer but come on... Ty Lawson's toe, yes, but UConn lost Jerome Dyson period. So...

Final Four - UCONN, PITT, UNC, WAKE (for lack of a better option here...)[/quote]

Duke makes the sweet 16. That is a REALLY asinine statement to say they are lucky. It is a fuckin given that they will get into the sweet 16.

UNC has no chance of making the final four. They are too inconsistent to do so and they have 1 off game and they get owned. Hansbrough gets all the calls in the ACC but he wont get them all in march madness.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='755142' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:51 AM']UK doesn't make it.

Final Four - UCONN, PITT, UNC, WAKE (for lack of a better option here...)[/quote]

Yeah, but don't forget UNC lost Ginyard in the beginning of the season and were hoping to get hm back. Now they have no guard depth behind Lawson and Ellington iirc. I'm nervous about my UConn team without Dyson, we weren't very deep before he went out... I'm not too concerned with the losses to Pitt because they're just a match-up nightmare for us, and they won't get away with half the stuff Big East refs let them do in the tournament. DeJuan Blair should foul out of every game he plays. He sets a moving pick or screen at least 5 times a half.

Mods - if you feel this is a seperate thread - go ahead and move it.

UConn and Syracuse played 6 OT's last night:
[url="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29670190/"]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29670190/[/url]

NEW YORK - Syracuse and Connecticut played a game for the ages Thursday night and into early Friday. When it was over, everybody in Madison Square Garden was exhausted and, except for the losing team, exhilarated.

Telling someone that No. 18 Syracuse beat No. 3 Connecticut 127-117 in six overtimes in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament is equivalent to saying there’s a star in the sky.

There’s more, so much more.

“I’ve got no words,” Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said when asked to describe the second-longest Division I game ever. “I’ve never been prouder of any team I’ve coached.”

There were the numbers, from the 3 hours, 46 minutes it took to play the game that ended at 1:22 a.m., to the combined 244 points, 102 of which came after the regulation buzzer, to the eight players who fouled out, to the six who registered double-doubles.

And that wasn’t nearly all. Just ask Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn, who had 34 points and 11 assists in a game-high 67 minutes, only 3 fewer than were played.

“I just wanted to get the game over with,” he said. “I was thinking, ‘Lord, just get this game over with. Whoever wins the game, let’s just get it over with.’ ”

Much earlier in the evening, West Virginia beat No. 2 Pittsburgh 74-60, meaning that instead of a much-anticipated third meeting between two teams that held the No. 1 ranking this season in the semifinals, it will be sixth-seeded and 18th-ranked Syracuse and the seventh-seeded Mountaineers.

“I can’t even feel my legs right now,” Flynn said. “It was a tough game, we battled it out, but we have to turn it around — today — and face a tough team in West Virginia.”

Top-seeded and fifth-ranked Louisville will meet fourth-seeded and 10th-ranked Villanova in the other semifinal.

Andy Rautins hit a 3-pointer 10 seconds into the sixth overtime, giving the Orange their first lead since regulation.

“We needed to get one tip and sure enough we had the set play and we had Andy coming off a set screen and boom, he made it,” Boeheim said. “That was pretty big.”

The game finished one overtime short of the record set in Cincinnati’s 75-73 victory over Bradley on Dec. 21, 1981.

Paul Harris had 29 points and 22 rebounds, while Eric Devendorf had 22 points and Rautins had 20, all but two on 3-pointers.

The Orange made 40 of 51 free throws, but Connecticut made just 24 of 42.

“We lost the game because we turned the ball over 27 times and couldn’t make a foul shot,” Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said.

A.J. Price had 33 points and 10 assists for the Huskies (27-4), while Stanley Robinson had 28 points and was one of three Connecticut players with 14 rebounds. Hasheem Thabeet had 19 points, 14 rebounds and six of the Huskies’ 16 blocked shots.

What will almost be forgotten as this game is recounted over the years was that it was nearly over before even one overtime was played.

Connecticut’s Kemba Walker, one of the smallest players on the court, grabbed a loose rebound and laid it in with 1.1 seconds left in regulation to tie the game at 71. After a Syracuse timeout, Harris ran the baseline and threw an inbounds pass past midcourt that was deflected by Connecticut’s Gavin Edwards to Devendorf, who let a shot go from about 28 feet just as the red lights around the backboard went off.

It went in, and Devendorf jumped up on the courtside press table, pounding his chest and screaming as his teammates reached up and pulled him down to the court.

The play was reviewed — as are all shots near the end of halves — and veteran officials John Cahill and Bob Donato watched replay after replay, finally stepping back and ruling the shot was late, sending the game into the first overtime 5-minute overtime.

It wouldn’t end until six of them were played.

“It would have been a lot better if they just counted Eric’s shot and we could have gone home 2 hours ago,” Boeheim said, “but that’s the way it goes.”

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='755329' date='Mar 11 2009, 05:47 PM']Duke makes the sweet 16. That is a REALLY asinine statement to say they are lucky. It is a fuckin given that they will get into the sweet 16.

UNC has no chance of making the final four. They are too inconsistent to do so and they have 1 off game and they get owned. Hansbrough gets all the calls in the ACC but he wont get them all in march madness.[/quote]
Wait a minute...you are calling someone's opinion of Duke not making the sweet 16 "asinine", and then go on to [i]guarantee[/i] that Duke makes the 16 and say that UNC has "no chance" of making the Final Four?

Have you been watching the conference tournaments? Upsets galore.

There is so much parity in college basketball anymore that there are [i]no[/i] guarantees. None.

I [i]can[/i] guarantee one thing though....my beloved UK Wildcats will not be in the NCAA tournament this year for the first time in 18 years....damn.

I'm not sure whom I will root for. Maybe Louisville, FSU, Syracuse, MSU...ah hell.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='756100' date='Mar 14 2009, 05:33 PM']Wait a minute...you are calling someone's opinion of Duke not making the sweet 16 "asinine", and then go on to [i]guarantee[/i] that Duke makes the 16 and say that UNC has "no chance" of making the Final Four?

Have you been watching the conference tournaments? Upsets galore.

There is so much parity in college basketball anymore that there are [i]no[/i] guarantees. None.

I [i]can[/i] guarantee one thing though....my beloved UK Wildcats will not be in the NCAA tournament this year for the first time in 18 years....damn.

I'm not sure whom I will root for. Maybe Louisville, FSU, Syracuse, MSU...ah hell.[/quote]

i saw 95% of duke games this year and about 75% of UNC games. the only team i know better than UNC is Duke, Xavier and UC. UNC doesnt have what it takes to go deep. You have to be able to play D to go far in the tourney and UNC plays some of the worst D in the country.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='756481' date='Mar 16 2009, 11:37 PM']i saw 95% of duke games this year and about 75% of UNC games. the only team i know better than UNC is Duke, Xavier and UC. UNC doesnt have what it takes to go deep. You have to be able to play D to go far in the tourney and UNC plays some of the worst D in the country.[/quote]
It only gets worse if Ty doesn't play.

UNC could be in some major trouble.

Louisville is certainly peaking at the right time, but they got to go through the Big East playing UConn and Pitt once each, both at home (beating Pitt and losing to UConn by 17), they got through the Big East Tournament without having to play either team, and they faced a Syracuse team that was clearly worn out. They lost most of their games early, to a mediocre group of teams (Western Kentucky, Minnesota, UNLV), and they also lost to Notre Dame by 33 a little over a month ago.

This tournament is such a tough read. Just give your bracket to your kid and have them fill it out. It's all up in the air.

[quote name='JC' post='757157' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:25 PM']I've only missed Mississippi state so far. I really thought they would pull the upset. Oh well.

Anyone got Maryland beating memphis saturday?[/quote]
nah but i have mizzou beating them

i am an eric maynor game winning shot away from being 16/16 right now :(

heres my upset for today: North Dakota State over Kansas

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='755329' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:47 PM']Duke makes the sweet 16. That is a REALLY asinine statement to say they are lucky. It is a fuckin given that they will get into the sweet 16.

[b]UNC has no chance of making the final four. They are too inconsistent to do so and they have 1 off game and they get owned. Hansbrough gets all the calls in the ACC but he wont get them all in march madness.[/quote][/b]
;)

Oh, and fuck UNC

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='755142' date='Mar 11 2009, 08:51 AM']UK doesn't make it.

Well, I came a Uconn beating Michigan St. away from winning 5 bones... will have to settle for second and 2...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='755329' date='Mar 11 2009, 06:47 PM']Duke makes the sweet 16. That is a REALLY asinine statement to say they are lucky. It is a fuckin given that they will get into the sweet 16.

[b]UNC has no chance of making the final four. They are too inconsistent to do so and they have 1 off game and they get owned. Hansbrough gets all the calls in the ACC but he wont get them all in march madness.[/b][/quote]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='756481' date='Mar 16 2009, 11:37 PM']i saw 95% of duke games this year and about 75% of UNC games. the only team i know better than UNC is Duke, Xavier and UC. [b]UNC doesnt have what it takes to go deep. You have to be able to play D to go far in the tourney and UNC plays some of the worst D in the country.[/b][/quote]

Good call... :rolleyes:

Archived