NFL extends 'Sunday Ticket' deal with DirecTV to 2014

[quote][size=5][b]NFL extends 'Sunday Ticket' deal with DirecTV to 2014[/b][/size]

Click below for the bombshell the NFL dropped on the sports media biz early Monday evening: It is extending its exclusive deal with DirecTV to carry the out-of-market "Sunday Ticket" package through 2014.

The major cable companies - including Cablevision, which owns Newsday - are not going to be amused by this.

Not having access to "Sunday Ticket" is a big reason why some cable giants still refuse to carry the NFL Network.

Here's the release:

The National Football League announced today an agreement to extend DIRECTV’s rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket. DIRECTV will continue to have exclusive television rights to air the package of Sunday afternoon games through the 2014 NFL season.

The agreement also significantly broadens the reach of NFL Sunday Ticket by enabling NFL fans that cannot receive DIRECTV satellite service to get NFL Sunday Ticket via broadband. This service will begin no later than 2012.

In addition, the NFL will offer fans (also no later than 2012) a new “Red Zone Channel” that shows crucial live action cut-ins of all Sunday afternoon games starting at 1 p.m. ET and continuing through the conclusion of the 4 p.m. ET games. The “Red Zone Channel” will be available to cable, telco and satellite systems, wireless devices, and the Internet.

“We are pleased to extend a partnership with DIRECTV that has complemented and supported our broadcast television packages for 15 years,” said NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL. “We are looking forward to having the Red Zone channel on cable and other media platforms as well as showing NFL Sunday Ticket via broadband to the homes that cannot get satellite. This new content enhances our tradition of being the most pro-consumer, widely available sport on television.”

“The NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ service has been a part of DIRECTV since our first year of operation and is one of the defining characteristics of our best-in- class positioning,” said Chase Carey, president and CEO of DIRECTV Group. “This latest extension allows us to retain and broaden our most popular sports subscription service. Through our wireless offering to NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ customers and the new broadband service to non-customers, we’re now able to expand the reach to even more NFL fans everywhere.”

Among the new features for fans are:

Red Zone Channel: subscribers who do not have DIRECTV will have access to the “Red Zone” channel through local cable systems or telco, satellite systems and Internet providers. This special channel has been part of NFL Sunday Ticket on DIRECTV the past four seasons and will continue for those subscribers. It provides live look-ins and real-time highlights from every Sunday afternoon game starting at 1 P.M. (ET) through the late afternoon games. The channel switches from game to game and airs live action when a team is in the Red Zone (inside the 20-yard line) and poised to score. A host also provides real-time scoring and fantasy updates.

NFL Sunday Ticket on Broadband: Fans who live in areas where DIRECTV’s service is not available, such as apartment buildings or in residences with poor sightlines to a satellite signal, will be able to purchase a new NFL Sunday Ticket broadband package.

DIRECTV customers who purchase NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and the SuperFan™ package receive all Sunday afternoon games in HD; a Game Mix channel with up to eight games on one screen; the Red Zone Channel; the SUPERCAST™ service that streams every live NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ broadcast to laptop computers; and the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Mobile service that delivers up-to-the-minute highlights, and soon full-length games, to cell phones, pda’s and other wireless devices.

DIRECTV also has extended its carriage agreement with NFL Network which airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the only network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. NFL Network will continue to be offered in DIRECTV’s CHOICE package.[/quote]

[url="http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2009/03/nfl_extends_sunday_ticket_deal.html"]http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog...icket_deal.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]League’s New DirecTV Deal Sets Stage For NFLN Breakthrough?[/b][/size]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 7:17 p.m. EDT

The National Football League unexpectedly announced on Monday an agreement to extend its contract with DirecTV through 2014.

And the new contract contains a provision that could help the league put NFL Network onto more of the major cable systems.

[b]The kicker is that the Red Zone Channel, an excellent series of live-game look-ins hosted by Andrew Siciliano of FOX, will be made available no later than 2012 to cable systems, other satellite providers, and the Internet.[/b]

Thus, though the league continues to reserve the exclusive package of Sunday afternoon games to DirecTV, which has hosted the package since its inception in 1994, cable providers like Comcast and Time Warner will be able to provide NFL fans with the ability to continuously tour the various league’s games from 1:00 p.m. ET until well after 7:00 p.m. ET.

With Comcast and NFLN poised to divorce completely in the near future (multiple readers have advised us that Comcast already is making noise to its subscribers about the possible departure of NFLN from the choice of channels), the availability of the Red Zone Channel could be the leverage that the league needs to get cable companies interested in finding a way to provide both NFLN and the Red Zone Channel to its subscribers.

The downside? FOX and CBS might be more than a bit uncomfortable about the possibility that folks who would be watching the games offered in their local markets on the traditional Sunday afternoon networks might flock to the potpourri of action provided by the Red Zone Channel.

It’s an issue that the league will have to confront when the deals with FOX and CBS expire after the 2011 season — or sooner if the league opts to launch the Red Zone Channel before then.

[b]The new arrangement with DirecTV also will allow customers who can’t get the Sunday Ticket package via satellite to purchase it for viewing over the Internet. This could unleash a flood of purchases from Americans living overseas, and/or from fans in other countries.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/23/leagues-new-directv-deal-sets-stage-for-nfln-breakthrough/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/23/...n-breakthrough/[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]NFL, DirecTV extend deal through 2014[/b][/size]
By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
12 hours, 30 minutes ago

Buzz up!4 votes PrintDANA POINT, Calif. (AP)—DirecTV has extended its deal with the NFL for Sunday afternoon games through 2014, [b]an agreement worth $4 billion to the league.

A person familiar with the contract, who spoke anonymously because no one has been authorized to reveal the figures, told The Associated Press on Monday the deal was for $1 billion a year for four years, up from an average of $700 million per season in the previous deal.[/b]

That’s very good news for the NFL during the current dreary economic climate.

“We are pleased to extend a partnership with DirecTV that has complemented and supported our broadcast television packages for 15 years,” commissioner Roger Goodell said. “We are looking forward to having the `Red Zone’ channel on cable and other media platforms, as well as showing NFL Sunday Ticket via broadband to the homes that cannot get satellite (beginning in 2012).”

Under terms of the deal with the satellite carrier, the “Red Zone” channel that shows live cut-ins from all Sunday afternoon games will be available to cable TV, wireless devices and the Internet.

The broadband portion of the new contract is significant because many areas, particularly apartment buildings or residences surrounded by trees, can’t get a satellite signal.

Also extended was DirecTV’s agreement to carry NFL Network.

[b]COMPENSATORY PICKS[/b]

The Tennessee Titans and Cincinnati Bengals each were awarded four compensatory picks in April’s draft for free agents they lost in 2008.

In all, half of the 32 teams received compensatory selections, which are given from the third through seventh rounds of the draft.

Tennessee, which merely had the best record in the NFL last season (13-3), got picks in the fourth (135 overall), fifth (173), sixth (206) and seventh (242) after losing Jacob Bell, Chris Brown, Ben Hartsock, Travis LaBoy, Antwan Odom and Randy Starks.

Cincinnati (4-11-1) was given choices in the third (98th), sixth (209) and seventh (249 and 252). The Bengals lost Landon Johnson, Bryan Robinson, Justin Smith, Alex Stepanovich and Madieu Williams, while signing Odom away from the Titans.

New England, Chicago and Seattle each got three compensatories, with the Patriots receiving the highest such pick, No. 97 overall, in the third round. Getting two spots were Dallas, Jacksonville, San Diego and San Francisco.

One compensatory pick was given to Arizona, Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, the New York Giants, Pittsburgh and Washington.

Since such picks first were awarded in 1994, 491 have been given, with Baltimore (29) receiving the most, and Cleveland (one) the fewest.

[b]NO NAME YET[/b]

When the Dallas Cowboys open their $1.1 billion stadium this summer, it might not have a corporate name on it.

Considering the Cowboys’ value atop the NFL list and their popularity, selling naming rights would seem an easy chore. Not in this economy, though.

“We’re not naive to what’s going on in the country and the economic crisis,” Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones said Monday. “We’re very respectful of that now. Obviously, there are some factors when you’re opening a new building in this economy.”

The Cowboys reportedly had AT&T lined up for naming rights last year, but that deal has been put on hold.

While Jones didn’t want to paint the situation with a broad brush, he noted that many companies are wary of spending millions of dollars for naming rights, especially if they have been trimming staff and seeking government bailouts.

“Obviously there is some sensitivity out there,” he said. “I don’t know if that holds for every company.”

Commissioner Roger Goodell acknowledged that a lack of companies able to purchase stadium naming rights “will have an effect on how our business model is changing.”

[b]NFL NETWORK[/b]

Commissioner Roger Goodell insisted Monday that the NFL Network is not losing money.

He’s also hopeful the league will come to agreements with several cable distributors who have fought placing the network on basic levels. Included among those is Comcast, the nation’s largest cable operator, whose deal with the NFL expires April 30.

“We are going to be patient and determined,” Goodell said, “and we’re going to make sure it gets the broadest possible exposure. We will not do sports tiers; that’s not something in the best interest of the NFL. We want to make a deal.”[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings-notebook&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-n...p&type=lgns[/url]

On a side note, I just switched to DirecTV a month ago....was a Dish Network customer previously...I like the fact that I get NFL Network HD and my locals in HD but Dish Networks's HD picture blows away DirecTV ..........no comparison. I couldn't believe the difference I saw in the quality of picture.

There was already an overseas solution that didn't involve piggybacking on someone else's direcTV. [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nflgamepass"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nflgamepass[/url]

I had gamepass and I had a friend's login for Sunday Ticket, and the gamepass feed had better quality and more importantly was reliable.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='758501' date='Mar 25 2009, 03:40 AM']Damn I wonder how much they're going to jack up the price now for NFL Sunday Ticket...it was $340 last year if you wanted it in Hi Def.[/quote]

I just have the basic, non hi-def Sunday Ticket and it's gone up to about $260. Up from $129 when I first got it in 1998 ... <_<

Doubt seriously they get NFLN on to Cable now unless they go with the sports tier. Cable wanted the Sunday Ticket and it would have been a huge revenue stream for all involved. Oh well, one can only hope that the league wakes up and gets it onto Cable sometime soon.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='758582' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:16 AM']Doubt seriously they get NFLN on to Cable now unless they go with the sports tier. Cable wanted the Sunday Ticket and it would have been a huge revenue stream for all involved. Oh well, one can only hope that the league wakes up and gets it onto Cable sometime soon.[/quote]

nfln is on cable in many many areas... just not this area.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='758583' date='Mar 25 2009, 01:20 PM']nfln is on cable in many many areas... just not this area.[/quote]

Exactly. Comcast had it in it's lineup when I lived in Naples, Florida.

Ironically now that I live in New Brunswick Canada, I can get Sunday Ticket as part of a sports package for 20 bucks a month. That includes Extra Innings, the College Basketball deal, Hockey of course and Nascar.

Sadly this is the only thing I can find in Canada that is cheaper than in the US...except for a trip to the doc's ;)

[quote name='GoBengals' post='758583' date='Mar 25 2009, 12:20 PM']nfln is on cable in many many areas... just not this area.[/quote]

Well after Comcast dumps it, how many cable networks will be carrying it? I guess i should have just said Time Waner, as that is my only option unless I want to swtich to DirectTV or Dish. obviously I'd go direct TV if I did do the switch.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='758588' date='Mar 25 2009, 11:40 AM']Well after Comcast dumps it, how many cable networks will be carrying it? I guess i should have just said Time Waner, as that is my only option unless I want to swtich to DirectTV or Dish. obviously I'd go direct TV if I did do the switch.[/quote]

yea.. warner blows..

im quite happy withmy cinbell digital cable currently.. finally, since its all actually working, its amazing quality HD..

A free tip..............

[b]DIRECTV customers who purchase NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ and the SuperFan™ package receive all Sunday afternoon games in HD; a Game Mix channel with up to eight games on one screen; the Red Zone Channel; the SUPERCAST™ service that streams every live NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ broadcast to laptop computers; and the NFL SUNDAY TICKET™ Mobile service that delivers up-to-the-minute highlights, and soon full-length games, to cell phones, pda’s and other wireless devices.[/b]

I've had DirecTV for over 10 years and let me tell you, don't let these Bastards get over on you, if you are all ready paying for the HD package with all of your channels for $10 a month than give them a call when your Sunday Ticket Renewal comes up and complain that you are not going to pay an extra $100 to get the Super Fan package to see the games in HD because you all ready pay $10 a month for the service for all the channels. If you complain once and it does not work, keep calling back to get another person. Sooner or later you will find someone in Bangladesh or China that will give you the Super Fan package for free. :) You need to tell them you do not want all the other bells and whistles on the stupid SuperFan package, you only want the games in HD and are all ready paying for this service. Good Luck!

NOOOOOOOOO! I am a direct tv and NFL ticket subscriber for 8 years and I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Direct TV.

I won't waiste time telling my horror stories, but I HATE direct tv and the only reason I use them is NFL Sunday Ticket.

I was hoping for options. f- the NFL and DIRECT TV.

:sadd: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Archived