Sean Miller ditches Xavier for Arizona job

Jay Lenos Chin

Miller follows in the long line of Xavier's head coaches using their job as a stepping-stone to a bigger program. Gillen, Prosser, and Matta all did the same thing after having success at Xavier. On the one hand, it's sad to see him go, but on the other, you realize Xavier is more than just the head coach and that the program will go on. The next coach will probably find himself in the position of jumping to another school soon enough.

Shit, they doubled the guy's pay and he inherits a more storied program. I'd leave X too. I also don't think that Miller could have taken Xavier any farther than he has. A small school like X tends to run into a wall in the tournament from year to year against bigger, better recruited schools. Like Arizona.

If you're a program like Arizona (which isn't as storied as people think...they were nothing before Lute got there), hiring the Xavier guy is a pretty safe move. I'm a little bit suprised that he wasn't higher atop their list. Matta, Prosser, and Gillen all took the teams that stole them away to the Tourney very soon after, so there is a good precedent for it.

XU will just find the next up and coming coach to head their program.

[quote name='#22' post='761671' date='Apr 6 2009, 05:55 PM']If you're a program like Arizona ([b]which isn't as storied as people think...they were nothing before Lute got there[/b]), hiring the Xavier guy is a pretty safe move. I'm a little bit suprised that he wasn't higher atop their list. Matta, Prosser, and Gillen all took the teams that stole them away to the Tourney very soon after, so there is a good precedent for it.

XU will just find the next up and coming coach to head their program.[/quote]
Well, yeah maybe, but Olson coached there for a quarter fucking century! And they won the title in (**sob**) 1997, too. I think the Arizona gig is a better job overall, money aside.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='761687' date='Apr 6 2009, 06:58 PM']Well, yeah maybe, but Olson coached there for a quarter fucking century! And they won the title in (**sob**) 1997, too. I think the Arizona gig is a better job overall, money aside.[/quote]
Yes...1997 was a very good year.

Also, I agree with 22 about the storied aspect of the U of A's history. The problem is that there isn't a whole lot to grasp on to down there and they're above average program, but they're not at Carolina, Duke, or (gasp) Kentucky's level.

And Bung, Miles Simon loves you.

As a Dayton fan, I hate Xavier almost the way I hate Pittsburgh. Except with much more (grudging) respect.

They're the perfect example of how success can breed success.

In college ball, the "mid-majors" fate can change for decades with just a handful of recruits that either over-achieve, or a great prospect chooses you over a bigger school for whatever reason. Teams like Xavier and Dayton are recruiting against each other.

Xavier started getting better in the early 80's and it snowballed. They were a little bit better than those in their "group", the old MCC, so they started making the tournament regularly by being the best in a below average conference. Tournament appearances will help you land that guy that Dayton's also going after (not just Dayton, but you get the point) and the occasional guy who could go to a bigger school. The big fish in a medium pond, so to speak. Basketball is kind of unique, in that one or two great players can carry a team.

Anyway, Xavier will continue to out recruit teams like Dayton no matter who their coach is. Until, or unless they have 2 or 3 bad years in a row, and a team like Dayton strings together some tourney appearances.

Archived