Why does Dusty Baker wear batting gloves?

GoBengals

He looks like an idiot. walking around in baseball batting gloves... holding a clip board or chucking seeds.

what the FUCK is the point of wearing batting gloves?

hell a manager wearing a uniform is QUITE a bit silly, but its remotely understandable. no other sport off the top of my head does a manager/HC wear the teams attire.. they wears proper grown up attire, suits, pants and polos, etc.

why do baseball managers wear uniforms

and why in the hell does he wear batting gloves?

he isnt going to bat... i promise.

[quote][b]Burning Question
WHY DO BASEBALL MANAGERS WEAR UNIFORMS? [/b]

Coaches in the NBA, NFL and NHL don't wear players' garb. (Good thing, too: Imagine George Karl in a tank top and shorts.) But big league skippers are different because they go onto the field during games. That is why major league baseball deems them subject to Rule 1.11 (a), which says, "All members of the team must wear a similar uniform." Says Mariners manager Lou Piniella, "It would be weird to walk to the mound in a suit. I'd feel like part of the security force."

Even before Rule 1.11 (a) went on the books in 1957, all but two big league managers dressed like their nines rather than to the nines. Connie Mack, who managed the Philadelphia Athletics from 1901 to '50, and Burt Shotton, who managed the Phillies and the Brooklyn Dodgers for eight seasons in the '40s, are the only skippers ever to work in civvies, but they sent uniformed coaches onto the field to make pitching changes and harangue the umps. "Could you imagine going out there in shiny dress shoes?" says Braves manager Bobby Cox. "How would you kick dirt on the umpire?"

Baseball managers (and players) receive an undisclosed sum of money for wearing their uniforms, as part of a licensing agreement with MLB Properties and individual uniform suppliers. Not that the managers wear playing threads for the compensation. "If we didn't have to go on the field," says the Cardinals' Tony La Russa, "I'd just as soon wear my stylish jeans."[/quote]

[url="http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1025725/index.htm"]http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...25725/index.htm[/url]

As far aw why Dusty wears batting gloves, I don't know.
I do remembering he had some player that played for him
in SF or Chicago, that didn't wear batting gloves at the plate.
Instead, he would piss on his hands to toughen the skin.

Maybe Dusty starting wearing them because they shook hands after wins?

I had a coach in football during high school that wore gloves to avoid sun rays. No joke. No racism or anything. He was just scared of skin cancer. He would wear a long sleeve shirt and sweatpants too.

That would be my best guess. But who knows?

Archived