20 Yard Shuttle : 4.01 seconds
60 Yard Shuttle : 11.07 seconds

Featured Prospects
Selected by: Cincinnati Bengals
Round: 6
Pick (Overall): 6 (179)
Discuss

Overview

Recruited as a wide receiver, Trent made a smooth adjustment to the defensive backfield, earning five starting assignments and Freshman All-American honors in his first year with the varsity in 2005. The talented defender used his blazing speed to excel in deep coverage as a regular in the starting lineup over the next four years.

The opposition attempted 250 passes vs. Trent, as he allowed 105 receptions for 1,036 yards and four touchdowns. He held his opponents to a 42.0 pass completion percentage, as his main pass coverage assignments averaged 9.87 yards per pass completion and 4.14 yards per pass attempt vs. the cornerback.

At St. Mary's High School Trent was a Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team choice. He was rated the third-best prospect in Michigan, the nation's 24th-best wide receiver in the nation and the 28th-best prospect in the Midwest by Rivals100.com. Max Emfinger rated him the fifth-best prep receiver in the country, while Super Prep ranked him 21st at that position.

Trent ranked second on The Detroit News Blue Chip list and was the third-best receiver by The Lansing State Journal. The two-time Oakland County Dream Team selection was also a Detroit Free Press All-North first-team, honorable mention All-State and honorable mention Best of the Midwest pick as a senior. He earned Eccentric All-Area and All-Catholic League accolades in his final year and was an All-State honorable mention by The Detroit News as a junior.

Trent started all four seasons for St. Mary's catching 84 passes for 1,533 yards and 16 touchdowns, along with 12 rushes for 250 yards and four scores. As a defensive back, he set the school record for career interceptions with 23, previously held by former Wolverine Grant Mason and recorded 117 career solo tackles. As a senior, he made 11catches for 270 yards and two touchdowns while posting 70 tackles (38 solo) and intercepted six passes.

During his junior campaign, he caught 26 passes for 400 yards and six touchdowns, while delivering seven interceptions. He added 29 receptions for 460 yards and seven scores, as he also intercepted 10 passes as a sophomore. In his first season, he made 18 grabs for 290 yards and five touchdowns.

Trent competed with the Maximum Output indoor track and field team, coached by former Wolverine Stan Edwards. He was timed in a 10.7 100 meters and has been timed in a 6.83 60-yard dash, an indoor state record and the sixth fastest time in the country. He holds the indoor state record in the 200 meter with a time of 21.79 and was a 200-meter All-American, capturing second place at the Nike Indoor Championships with a time of 21.74 seconds. His best prep time in the 200-meters was 21.61 seconds.

Trent spent the 2004 season on the Michigan scout team. He was moved to the secondary prior to the 2005 season, going on to start in five contests. The Sporting News' Freshman All-American second-team choice posted 22 tackles (20 solos) with six deflected passes and a pair of interceptions. Opponents completed just 35.14 percent of the passes targeted into his area, as he was in on a total of 14 third-down stops.

As a sophomore, Trent underwent midseason surgery to repair a broken bone in his left hand. He would start 11-of-12 games, collecting 45 tackles (40 solo) with two stops for losses. Because of his hand injury, he could only deflect three passes and pick off another. 21 of his plays involved third-down stops, as the opposition averaged 11.14 yards on 35 pass completions into his area.

Trent took over left cornerback duties from a departed Leon Hall as a junior. He was a second-team All-Big Ten Conference choice, as he limited the opponents to a 31.76 pass completion percentage and just 3.07 yards per attempt, on 85 passes targeted into his territory. He registered a career-high 10 pass deflections and picked off another throw. He also made 41 tackles (32 solo) with two stops behind the line of scrimmage, as he was involved in 23 third-down stops.

In 2008, Trent started all 12 games, but the entire team struggled, failing to make the bowl season. He recorded 41 tackles (28 solo) with three interceptions and a pair of pass deflections. He saw his main pass coverage assignments catch 30-of-52 balls thrown to them (57.69%) for 294 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

High School

Attended St. Mary's (Orchard Lake, Mich.) High School, playing football for head coach George Porritt...Prep Star Top 100 Dream Team choice...Rated the third-best prospect in Michigan, the nation's 24th-best wide receiver in the nation and the 28th-best prospect in the Midwest by Rivals100.com...Max Emfinger rated him the fifth-best prep receiver in the country, while Super Prep ranked him 21st at that position...Ranked second on The Detroit News Blue Chip list and was the third-best receiver by The Lansing State Journal...The two-time Oakland County Dream Team selection was also a Detroit Free Press All-North first-team, honorable mention All-State and honorable mention Best of the Midwest pick as a senior...Earned Eccentric All-Area and All-Catholic League accolades in his final year and was an All-State honorable mention by The Detroit News as a junior...Started all four seasons for St. Mary's catching 84 passes for 1,533 yards and 16 touchdowns, along with 12 rushes for 250 yards and four scores...As a defensive back, he set the school-record for career interceptions with 23, previously held by former Wolverine Grant Mason and recorded 117 career solo tackles...As a senior, he made 11catches for 270 yards and two touchdowns while posting 70 tackles (38 solos) and intercepted six passes...During his junior campaign, he caught 26 passes for 400 yards and six touchdowns, while delivering seven interceptions...Added 29 receptions for 460 yards and seven scores, as he also intercepted ten passes as a sophomore...In his first season, he made 18 grabs for 290 yards and five touchdowns...Competed with the Maximum Output indoor track and field team, coached by former Wolverine Stan Edwards...Timed in a 10.7 100 meters and has been timed in a 6.83 60-yard dash, an indoor state record and the sixth fastest time in the country...Holds the indoor state record in the 200 meter with a time of 21.79 and was a 200-meter All-American, capturing second place at the Nike Indoor Championships with a time of 21.74 seconds...His best prep time in the 200-meters was 21.61 seconds.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.
Analysis

Positives: Good height for the position. Uses his long arms to break up passes in front of the receiver. Secure tackler in the open. Good cut tackler and can get off receiver blocks. Effective reading the quarterback in zone coverage to get involved in the play. Has the size and vertical to fight for balls in the air. Stays with receivers heading down the sideline, maintaining inside position.

Negatives: A bit thin in the hips. Lacks change-of-direction ability, struggling to stay with quicker receivers inside. Doesn't get his hands on the receiver at the line often enough. A bit choppy and upright in his backpedal, which can cause him problems transitioning on out routes. Lacks the strength to cause turnovers and has questionable hands.

Injury Report

2005: Sat out the Alamo Bowl clash vs. Nebraska (12/28) with a hamstring pull.

2006: Did not play vs. Minnesota (9/30) after suffering a broken bone in his left hand vs. Wisconsin (9/23), undergoing surgery to repair.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='769804' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:17 PM']Wonder if he can kick return like Tab Perry in '05?[/quote]

I don't think he ever did that at Michigan.

I have to be honest in saying that I hate this pick. He has decent size and is really, really fast. But, he has just gotten abused by WRs for the past few years. That's why a guy with his measurables was there this late.

I will give one caveat though, I hated the Chinny Ndukwe pick a couple years ago also because he too got pretty abused in the passing game while he was at Notre Dame and he has turned out to be pretty good, especially for a 7th rounder.

[quote name='mongo' post='769807' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:18 PM']So is this guy a special teamer, or will he see the field on defense? Never heard of him.[/quote]

well as a 6th round pick, if you don't find a home on teams you aren't long for the world...

[quote name='Oldcat' post='769813' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:20 PM']well as a 6th round pick, if you don't find a home on teams you aren't long for the world...[/quote]

Agreed. He will probably need to play well on special teams. We are really thin at CB though so he should have a really good shot at making the roster.

Looking back over the draft, the one thing I would have done differently would have been to grab a CB with that 3rd round comp instead of the TE. Then we could have used this current pick on a RB or TE.

[quote name='happyrid' post='769810' date='Apr 26 2009, 02:19 PM']I don't think he ever did that at Michigan.

I have to be honest in saying that I hate this pick. He has decent size and is really, really fast. But, he has just gotten abused by WRs for the past few years. That's why a guy with his measurables was there this late.

I will give one caveat though, I hated the Chinny Ndukwe pick a couple years ago also because he too got pretty abused in the passing game while he was at Notre Dame and he has turned out to be pretty good, especially for a 7th rounder.[/quote]

Hopefully its another deal where he looks bad cause the program is stinking it up.
Have to think Michigan could get a highly touted HS player 4 years ago when he signed up.

And if he can't find a home, well its the annual Round 5 - Round 6 flyer pick

[quote name='happyrid' post='769810' date='Apr 26 2009, 04:19 PM']I don't think he ever did that at Michigan.

I will give one caveat though, I hated the Chinny Ndukwe pick a couple years ago also because he too got pretty abused in the passing game while he was at Notre Dame and he has turned out to be pretty good, especially for a 7th rounder.[/quote]

seems the downsides to the players we have selected are all coachable. all of his downsides listed i have found seem to be footwork related... we have a good DB coaching staff, so i could see him being a productive Nickel back. and obviously contribute here and there on teams..

you dont start 41 of 48 games at michigan cause your garbage.. but your dont drop to the 6th cause your great either..

depth where we needed depth, and measurables to potentially be useful on the defense at some point.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='769815' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:23 PM']Hopefully its another deal where he looks bad cause the program is stinking it up.
Have to think Michigan could get a highly touted HS player 4 years ago when he signed up.

And if he can't find a home, well its the annual Round 5 - Round 6 flyer pick[/quote]

Yeah, you would hope. He's been a starter there for the past 2 or 3 years. Other than Leon Hall, they've really struggled producing DBs in recent years despite getting great recruits.

I know Trent has really great speed though. He was a sprinter in high school and has had some impressive plays over the years where he ran down some really fast players from behind.

In the bowl game his junior year he ran down somebody really fast from Florida. I think it was Percy Harvin. It was one of those plays that I still remember 2 years later.

I'm not sure how to embed, but here is a link to the play I was talking about in the previous post. It was Harvin.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JybFWy9_-Pk&feature=PlayList&p=12D75B9467989EAC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JybFWy9_-Pk...=PL&index=9[/url]

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='769830' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:30 PM']he started the year pretty green and he got much better as the year went on. [b]i LOVE david jones as the # 3 CB. he is damn good as a # 3.[/b][/quote]
I agree and Jones is only going to get better imo

Has Michigan had any sort of pass rush the past few seasons? I know Leon Hall had Gabe Watson and Alan Branch help... also had that linebacker whose name escapes me. Woodley? Might of had another backer too...

Can't cover anyone for 6+ seconds. They're eventually going to get free.

[quote name='Tigris' post='769841' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:40 PM']Has Michigan had any sort of pass rush the past few seasons? I know Leon Hall had Gabe Watson and Alan Branch help... also had that linebacker whose name escapes me. Woodley? Might of had another backer too...

Can't cover anyone for 6+ seconds. They're eventually going to get free.[/quote]

Michigan's produced some decent front 7 guys lately. David Harris was a really good LB for them and is doing great for the Jets. Woodley played DE there and moved to OLB for Pitt.

I am a Buckeye fan but know a lot of Michigan fans. They pretty much universally disliked Trent. Teams picked on him. He started because they just didn't have anyone else. I mean he was disliked by many of their fans to the level that we hated Ohalete or Ghiachuc.

Anyway, I don't really like the pick but not a huge deal. It's just a 6th rounder. He's fast so he could be okay covering kicks for us. Maybe with better coaching he can become a good nickle for us.

ctrent

[quote]6th round (179): CB Morgan Trent
Sunday 04-26-2009 4:11pm ET
Comments

When Bengals defensive back coach Kevin Coyle was at Leon Hall's Pro Day at Michigan in 2007, he stopped and talked to the other corner, Morgan Trent.

"When we were evaluating Leon Hall, there was this No. 14 on the other side of the field that kept showing up on the tape," Coyle said. "I remember at the workout at Michigan, meeting him and we were talking and told him in a couple of years I may be back talking to him. It's funny that it ended up panning out."

Trent said he remembers meeting Coyle and the conversation.

"I didn't take it too serious then," Trent said.

He does now.

Trent entered Michigan as a wide receiver, but was converted to defense after his redshirt year.

"I like it better," Trent said. "It's you on an island. It's much harder."

Trent is another player the Bengals saw at the Senior Bowl.[/quote]

[quote name='happyrid' post='769845' date='Apr 26 2009, 05:45 PM']Michigan's produced some decent front 7 guys lately. David Harris was a really good LB for them and is doing great for the Jets. Woodley played DE there and moved to OLB for Pitt.

I am a Buckeye fan but know a lot of Michigan fans. They pretty much universally disliked Trent. Teams picked on him. He started because they just didn't have anyone else. I mean he was disliked by many of their fans to the level that we hated Ohalete or Ghiachuc.

Anyway, I don't really like the pick but not a huge deal. It's just a 6th rounder. He's fast so he could be okay covering kicks for us. Maybe with better coaching he can become a good nickle for us.[/quote]
I kow a few Notre Dame fans and that's what they told me about Ndukwe. Said he got burnt ever single game.

Then the Bengals drafted him and he started making plays... one of the same guys who told me this went out and bought a jersey.

Archived