Bengals put aside character issues in pursuit of talent

[quote][i][size=1]Posted about 4 hours ago[/size][/i]
[size=3][b]
Bengals put aside character issues in pursuit of talent[/b][/size]

[size=2][i]By Thomas George [/i][/size]

NEW YORK -- Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis never dodges the "character question" when it is tossed his way about his football team.

After this Bengals draft, it is surfacing again.

Lewis, again, is not ducking.

Every NFL team has waded through troubles with players exhibiting questionable character. But Cincinnati's past woes with players -- highlighted but not limited to receiver Chris Henry's repeated foibles -- make the Bengals a marked team in the character chatter. Lewis does not like the labels. Neither does Bengals owner Mike Brown, who has said he has a "soft spot" for players and that he will continue to give "deserving" chances to players who have run afoul when he deems it merited.

The Bengals drafted 11 players. Most of them do not have a single pre-draft character "issue."

Three of them do:

Offensive tackle Andre Smith was Cincinnati's first-round pick at No. 6. Smith has been under fire after being suspended for his final game at Alabama. He reportedly was inappropriately dealing with an agent. Smith told several teams during his pre-draft interviews that it was a family member who had contact with an agent. After informing Alabama, he was suspended. He was also heavily criticized for leaving the combine early without letting officials know. A talent considered good enough to be the first or second pick in the draft, some teams stayed away, citing immaturity and laziness.

Lewis said of Smith and the pick: "I was low on him, too, at the start. But the more I and others spent time with him, the more excited we became. He is not the first person to leave the combine early. We spent a lot of time with Andre and got to know him.

"We went back to visit with him a couple of days before the draft to be even more comfortable with him before turning in that card. We had weighed him 10 days before. He came out just fine on his weight in that surprise visit. And as much as that, we wanted to know more about why he had changed his agent. We wanted to clear up that and other things. He did and we did. He is a fine kid. I look forward to coaching him."

Linebacker Rey Maualuga was considered a first-round pick but slid into the second round as teams began questioning his character. There were reported questions involving a domestic dispute and his alleged temper exhibited toward teammates.

Lewis said of the Bengals' selection of Maualuga as the 38th overall pick: "There has been some of that kind of stuff circulating on Rey and he is aware of it. People close to him know better. His coach (Pete Carroll) at USC knows better. Rey is going to come in here and put his best foot forward. We're lucky he fell to us. It was a surprise. A very pleasant one."

With a sixth-round choice, the 209th overall, the Bengals selected Abilene Christian running back Bernard Scott.

This was OURLADS Scouting Service's analysis of Scott before the draft: "Four-year starter. Talented but troubled back that may not get a chance to play because he's like a cat that has used up his nine lives. The abridged version is that he's had success and trouble everywhere he's been. Problems with authority including hitting a coach at one of his four college stops … Had the talent to play Division I but not the inclination to follow rules. … Talent warrants higher grade. Off-field problems say don't waste your time."

Lewis responds: "He had issues in the past. He has cleaned them up."

Lewis said the Bengals have always had a list of players who they will not draft due to character issues and that this draft was not any different.

"There are a lot of players in this entire draft from the top to bottom that have different issues," Lewis said. "Each team puts them through their own character test. But we are going to take some chances and take some fliers on some guys. Every team does in its own way. I think because we went through a tough stretch in the past with some of our players that this becomes a focus. But we believe in these players and each one of them will come to us with the chance to prove it and prove themselves."

Lewis coached a few of the players that the Bengals drafted at the Senior Bowl in January. He gained the chance to work with them first-hand, to watch them work and to communicate with them on personal levels. That helped guide some of Cincinnati's selections, he said. It helped the Bengals gain trust in their picks.

The bottom line here is that, like it or not, the Bengals' margin for error in this area is smaller than most teams. Many of their peers are comfortable pointing a finger at the Bengals and taking the heat away from themselves. Many critics are comfortable having a team to represent the character issue, a team to label as the one to watch in this regard. And the Bengals are the choice.

Just like he will not dodge the issue, Lewis will not accept that lot.

"I'm for us getting great football players, that we let our eyes do the work and that we do our research," he said. "Not worry about these things but get good players and coach them up in production. I think we have hit areas of skill and need in this draft. We've gotten some competitive guys, some competitive young talent that we believe will do things right."[/quote]

[url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81003872&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true[/url]

okay.....the only problem andre smith has is that he made some dumb decisions. like he said himself, he's never been had been in trouble with the law. second, rey maualuga for all we know could be ares god of war, or whatever the god of war is in samoan culture, he's good to go........third........well yeah that RB will be wearing bright orange.......as in an orange jumpsuit.

I'm fine with the black cloud since it will never go away. Especially since there are several teams that have had more character and legal problems in the last couple years than the Bengals. But they still attack the Bengals.

Just take the hit, Marvin. Don't pass up a "character problem" player, just so the next team can pick him up and be heralded as a fantastic selection. And did anybody see Berman get Tank Johnson in the conversation that consisted of the Bengals doing a great job in the draft? Did he or any of the ESPN asshats say anything when Jerry Jones picked up Tank and Pacman at the same time? I was so glad when Berman was absent on Day 2.

[quote]The bottom line here is that, like it or not, the Bengals' margin for error in this area is smaller than most teams. [b]Many of their peers are comfortable pointing a finger at the Bengals and taking the heat away from themselves. Many critics are comfortable having a team to represent the character issue, a team to label as the one to watch in this regard. And the Bengals are the choice.[/b]

Just like he will not dodge the issue, Lewis will not accept that lot.

"I'm for us getting great football players, that we let our eyes do the work and that we do our research," he said. "Not worry about these things but get good players and coach them up in production. I think we have hit areas of skill and need in this draft. We've gotten some competitive guys, some competitive young talent that we believe will do things right."[/quote]

Pretty much sums it up.

Why is there never any mention of the Jaguars ?

Last year they had several players involved in serious crimes, not the petty stuff that Bengals players seem to get caught up in.

Isn't Britten, the offensive lineman drafted by the Jags, the guy who cracked in the bowl game, played poorly and undisciplined, then couldn't get back to form in the Senior Bowl ?

So this crackpot on a team with attempted murderers doesn't even get a mention, yet Andre Smith is a "character risk" with the Bengals because he might be a little bit immature ?

The double standards are such a joke.

It is bizarre that the Jaguars get off scot free on the character issues, despite way worse crimes than any Bengal.

[quote name='billyjeff' post='770499' date='Apr 27 2009, 09:13 AM']Seems like the media overlooked the sexual assault arrest on Sanchez for which he had to post a $200,000 bond.[/quote]

Had the Bengals drafted Sanchez, you would have heard nothing but his off field problems. It gets tiring. When we got our recent DUI arrest someone checked on other clubs arrest record and found that the Jaguars had suffered 7 arrests and the Giants 5 compared our one during the same time span, but the cloud still hangs over us.

I figure the Bengals drafted Bernard Scott just to give the sportswriters a gift. Hey, if he pans out we could have a terrific backup running back. If he doesn't, we squandered a compensatory sixth round pick-big deal.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='770535' date='Apr 27 2009, 12:26 PM']This all goes away if we win football games.[/quote]
Agreed.

And this draft reminds me a lot of 05. 2 solid prior drafts leading up to 05, grabbed top flight talent that fell for one reason or another in the first 3 rounds.

Now if by next year, all our first 5 round picks are on the team, haven't been arrested and haven't had any career threatening injuries...we should be money for 3-4 years.

This thread is appropriate for something I posted yesterday.

Here's the money quote:

[quote][b]

The Cincinnati Bengals are another of the NFL’s toxic teams. The Bengals’ first three draft picks were players who, at one time or another, were being pegged to go sooner than they did.

During the season tackle Andre Smith looked like a potential first overall pick. Cincinnati got him at No. 6. USC linebacker Rey Maualuga looked like a sure first-rounder. The Bengals got him early in the second. Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson was being touted as a potential first-rounder before his senior season; he went 70th overall.

If the New England Patriots had made those picks, they’d be praised for maximizing value. The Bengals make those picks and the focus is on Smith’s immaturity for ducking out of the combine early, Maualuga’s tendency to overrun plays and Johnson’s lack of effort.

[/b][/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjmHtoxHfKHTmx.0Io_2XZyB2bYF?slug=ap-onfootball-draftanalysis&prov=ap&type=lgns"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjmH...p&type=lgns[/url]

[quote]Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:00 pm EDT

[size=5][b]Character is still not a huge concern for the Bengals[/b][/size]
By MJD

I want to be careful about this, because I don't want to paint the individuals listed below as bad people, because I certainly don't think that's true. Everyone's got their flaws, and the fact that these guys have overcome them to accomplish as much as they have in football says a lot of them, too. But from the standpoint of the [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/cin/"][color="#0069aa"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url], with all the issues with character that they've had on their football team ... wouldn't you like to see more quotes in here like, "great motor, loves playing football, works hard on and off the field, never takes a play off, a tremendous natural leader, and stays out of trouble off the field"?

Instead, here's what they have so far:

[b]1st round: [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9270/"][color="#0069aa"]Andre Smith[/color][/url], OT, Alabama[/b]

[b][url="http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=63682&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport#scouting"][color="#0069aa"]National Football Post[/color][/url][/b]: "Maturity is a concern, showed up at the NFL Combine overweight and left without warning; there are big red flags in that area." [url="http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=63682&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport#scouting"][b][color="#0069aa"]Pro Football Weekly[/color][/b][/url]: "Too soft-bodied and soft-minded. Does not play hard every down and effort is too inconsistent. Makes little effort after the initial block and too often gives up after taking one shot. Does not like to work and relies too much on his natural ability. Loves to eat, and his weight has fluctuated throughout his career. Lacks discipline and does not play smart." ... "Has not proven he can handle the trappings of success. Very immature. Questionable character. Turned off teams in interviews at the Combine with his lack of energy and soft temperament." [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4099731"][b][color="#0069aa"]ESPN[/color][/b][/url]: "We also have questions about whether the Bengals' locker room is a good fit for Smith -- a team with more leadership would have probably been a better fit."

[b]2nd round: [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9302/"][color="#0069aa"]Rey Maualuga[/color][/url], LB, USC[/b]

[b][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rey_Maualuga"][color="#0069aa"]Wikipedia[/color][/url][/b]: "Off the field his career started with occasional spirited and reckless partying that led to an October 2005 incident where he got into a fight at a Halloween party and was arrested for misdemeanor battery. He agreed in an arraignment diversion program that included counseling, Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and community service resulting in the charges being dismissed."

[b]3rd round: [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8478/"][color="#0069aa"]Michael Johnson[/color][/url], DE, Georgia Tech[/b]:

[url="http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=52752&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport#scouting"][b][color="#0069aa"]National Football Post[/color][/b][/url]: "His production has never come close to matching his amazing athletic skill set. Takes too many plays off and lacks power and strength in his lower half." [b][url="http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=52752&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport#scouting"][color="#0069aa"]Pro Football Weekly[/color][/url][/b]: "Does not show a desire to play the run and can be blown off the line. Packed it in against better competition. Not a finisher." [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/news/story?id=4101875"][b][color="#0069aa"]ESPN[/color][/b][/url]: "More importantly, there are concerns about his work ethic and dedication to improving his game." ... "There are some that question his physical and mental toughness."

And again, I stress, I'm not saying these are bad people. I'd invite any of them over for Christmas dinner, and if you only listed the negative qualities about [i]anyone[/i], you could paint a bleak picture of them. Obviously, they're all very talented, too.

My point is about the Cincinnati Bengals, the character problems that have plagued the team, and how they might occasionally want to think about that during the NFL draft.[/quote]

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Character-is-still-not-a-huge-concern-for-the-Be;_ylt=Am.kjBlq_Y5Sb2uigtcyuOpDubYF?urn=nfl,159008"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,159008[/url]

there not a damn thing the matter with Andre Smith aside of him being a bit immature and listening to his family about certain issues they really had no clue about..
He'll be the type of kid that visits childrens hospitals and keeps his nose clean..
the staff will get him in better shape for NFL rigors.. he didnt work hard in the weigtroom at Alabama cuz he didnt have to.. He still dominated from the time he was
a freshman... He's a good kid..

Maualuga has emotional issues about his father passing....He's growing out of it and maturing as well.... He takes it out on opposing players ..
I believe the coaches can harness is athleticism and intensity and he'll become a great player in time...

Bernard Scott is a problem waiting to happen.....BUT he can be productive on the field... if the team signs him for one year and gets one year out of him its a win win for all.. he's might be the bridge to next years runnning back in the draft........

[quote name='bigfeet4real' post='770409' date='Apr 27 2009, 02:07 AM']okay.....the only problem andre smith has is that he made some dumb decisions. like he said himself, he's never been had been in trouble with the law. second, rey maualuga for all we know could be ares god of war, or whatever the god of war is in samoan culture, he's good to go........third........[b]well yeah that RB will be wearing bright orange.......as in an orange jumpsuit.[/b][/quote]

hasnt been in any real trouble in a long while... kids a star.

[quote name='Hooky' post='770416' date='Apr 27 2009, 06:41 AM']I'm fine with the black cloud since it will never go away. Especially since there are several teams that have had more character and legal problems in the last couple years than the Bengals. But they still attack the Bengals.[/quote]

The bengals had what, 15 arrests in a single offseason? Yes, there's been several teams with more arrests since then, but that one offseason will label your franchise for a long, long time.

Remember the Portland Jailblazers of the late 90's, early 2000's? They were still the "Jailblazers" for several years after they unloaded the likes of JR Rider, Damon Stoudamire, and Qyntel Woods. I consider myself a very, very casual NBA fan and, to be honest, I still have trouble looking at a Blazers logo without first thinking of the "Jailblazers". There's millions upon millions of casual NFL fans who look at the Bengals the same way I look at the Trailblazers.

It's a stigma that's going to stick with your team for years, no matter what you do. They say perception is reality, and every time the Bengals select anyone with any blemish on his past whatsoever, it'll extend that perception for another year. It may or may not be right, and you guys may or may not even care (you really shouldn't), but that's not going to change soon.

[quote]Quote of the day

Broadcaster Marty Brennaman: “I’ve always maintained that if Ted Bundy was a good college football player the Cincinnati Bengals would have drafted him.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/votto-shouldnt-be-expecting-a-rest-97944.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-spor...rest-97944.html[/url]

[quote]Chargers OLB Shaun Phillips cited for battery

Chargers OLB Shaun Phillips was cited for misdemeanor battery after allegedly hitting a security guard in the face at a San Diego bar Saturday.
The incident, reported at 1AM, reportedly happened after a bar brawl. Police claim this was Phillips' second run-in with the law this month. He allegedly "choked and punched" another security guard on April 11. It sounds like he only got a ticket this time, but Phillips needs to be on his toes after San Diego drafted conversion end Larry English 16th overall Saturday. Apr. 27 - 5:08 pm et
Source: San Diego Union-Tribune[/quote]

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' post='770952' date='Apr 28 2009, 01:36 AM']The bengals had what, 15 arrests in a single offseason? Yes, there's been several teams with more arrests since then, but that one offseason will label your franchise for a long, long time.

Remember the Portland Jailblazers of the late 90's, early 2000's? They were still the "Jailblazers" for several years after they unloaded the likes of JR Rider, Damon Stoudamire, and Qyntel Woods. I consider myself a very, very casual NBA fan and, to be honest, I still have trouble looking at a Blazers logo without first thinking of the "Jailblazers". There's millions upon millions of casual NFL fans who look at the Bengals the same way I look at the Trailblazers.

It's a stigma that's going to stick with your team for years, no matter what you do. They say perception is reality, and every time the Bengals select anyone with any blemish on his past whatsoever, it'll extend that perception for another year. It may or may not be right, and you guys may or may not even care (you really shouldn't), but that's not going to change soon.[/quote]

I agree with your overall point that the Bengals have been branded with the same stigma as the Blazers. I think it was unfair to place so much focus on the Bengals and Pacman. Several teams were able to slide hardly noticed. For example, you never see the national media throw in comments about character (or lack thereof) EVERY single time the Jaguars or Chargers get mentioned. Read just about any column about the Bengals and that is all that is discussed. It's pathetic.

Since 2006, the Stealers have had 9 players arrested.

Since 2006, the Jags have had 15 players arrested.

Since 2006, the Colts have had 8 players arrested.

Since 2006, the Broncos have had 9 players arrested.

Since 2006, the Chargers have had 10 players arrested.

Since 2006, the Bengals have had 11 players arrested.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='771366' date='Apr 28 2009, 08:35 PM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-reds/votto-shouldnt-be-expecting-a-rest-97944.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-spor...rest-97944.html[/url][/quote]

"I would would draft Charles Manson if he ran a 4.4" - Jimmy Johnson

Archived