Magic Vs. Lakers - NBA FINALS THREAD

The series kicks off thursday. I cant wait to get this one underway. I hope the Magic can steal one in LA and come home with a chance to steal the series. It will be hard to win in LA, and hard to come back from being down 2-0 to a more experienced and just as talented Lakers team.

The officiating will be a HUGE factor. But given the media being almost as generous to Dwight as they are Kobe the last few days it may be a fair series.

I think whichever team comes out the hottest in game 1 will win that one, and I think the lakers win Game 2 no matter what, whether it be confidence off a game 1 win or bouncing back from a loss. Then back to Orlando.....

I will probably make the trip for all 3 games in Orlando, Job and Wife permitting.....

Cant fuckin wait.

This is going to be an incredible series. I heard last night that the Lakers will be using Andre Bynum less and Lamar Odom more, the thinking behind that is Odom will somehow neutralize Hedo Turkoglu. The only problem with that is, well, Pau Gasol will be guarding Dwight Howard which is a nightmare scenery. Hopefully it was just talking heads on the radio going over different scenarios and not an actual game plan because I think it would be the wrong move. But what the hell? I can't question Phil Jackson. I hope Orlando wins and I feel that Orlando will win, they are on a roll right now and have the perfect big man and the perfect perimeter game.

Magic in five :o

[quote name='BengalBrandon' post='779897' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:32 AM']This is going to be an incredible series. I heard last night that the Lakers will be using Andre Bynum less and Lamar Odom more, the thinking behind that is Odom will somehow neutralize Hedo Turkoglu. The only problem with that is, well, Pau Gasol will be guarding Dwight Howard which is a nightmare scenery. Hopefully it was just talking heads on the radio going over different scenarios and not an actual game plan because I think it would be the wrong move. But what the hell? I can't question Phil Jackson. I hope Orlando wins and I feel that Orlando will win, they are on a roll right now and have the perfect big man and the perfect perimeter game.

Magic in five :o[/quote]

Magic in 5 would be amazing... I'd be there for the 5thgame. shit would be nuts....

and that does seem like a bad plan.. and i dont think odom would stop turk on his own AND it leaves gasol overmatched.

throw Mickael in there and the lakers have matchup problems just about all over.

but the magic stillhave to cover Kobe.. which will be Lebron-like impossible and he is a better player.. and he creates better for his team than LeBron.. so kobe, as usual, is the biggest variable..

if the magic can get odom and gasol in foul trouble, and force it to be ONLY Kobe... they have a shot..

or if the 3 point shooting of lewis/turk/mickael is all on point the lakers will be hard pressed to keep up, unless of course Kobe drops 50+

[quote name='GoBengals' post='779905' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:59 AM']Magic in 5 would be amazing... I'd be there for the 5thgame. shit would be nuts....

and that does seem like a bad plan.. and i dont think odom would stop turk on his own AND it leaves gasol overmatched.

throw Mickael in there and the lakers have matchup problems just about all over.

but the magic stillhave to cover Kobe.. which will be Lebron-like impossible and he is a better player.. and he creates better for his team than LeBron.. so kobe, as usual, is the biggest variable..

if the magic can get odom and gasol in foul trouble, and force it to be ONLY Kobe... they have a shot..

or if the 3 point shooting of lewis/turk/mickael is all on point the lakers will be hard pressed to keep up, unless of course Kobe drops 50+[/quote]

For sure, the difference with the Lakers and the Cavs is that the Lakers have the better bench, when Cleveland went to their 6th, 7th and 8th man it was a substantial drop off. You go from LeBron to Wally Szczerbiak or Mo Williams to Daniel Gibson who was atrocious these playoffs. At least LA has some depth, Ariza to Walton or Fisher to Farmar. The only thing that worries me with Orlando is if their shooting is off they will be in trouble, you live and by the three in the NBA.

[quote name='sois' post='779924' date='Jun 2 2009, 12:55 PM']What's the over under on times Howard fouls out this series? 1.5?[/quote]

I haven't seen a betting line on that yet, but 1.5 does seem like a good number. I can't imagine Howard fouling out unless Gasol, Bynum and Odom start dominating the paint.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='779905' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:59 AM']Magic in 5 would be amazing... I'd be there for the 5thgame. shit would be nuts....

or if the 3 point shooting of lewis/turk/mickael is all on point the lakers will be hard pressed to keep up, unless of course Kobe drops 50+[/quote]

game 5 would be in LA. game 1 and 2 in LA, 3 and 4 in orlando, 5 in LA, 6 in orlando, 7 in LA correct?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='780035' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:24 PM']interesting. i didnt know they changed the format for the finals. imo that gives the advantage to the road team.[/quote]

Yeah, they've been doing it for a few years now I think. It does seem like an advantage for the road team, you steal one on the road and then you win three games in a row at home and you've won the title.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='780035' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:24 PM']interesting. i didnt know they changed the format for the finals. imo that gives the advantage to the road team.[/quote]
They started doing that in 1985, according to wiki. It puts a lot of pressure on the home team to hold court in games 1 & 2 for certain.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' post='780848' date='Jun 6 2009, 09:50 AM']Sure as hell hope not. They need to find a way to get Howard some help under
the boards too. They dont have a true "Power Forward". Lewis and Turkoglu
are both 6'10" small forwards.[/quote]

Odom, Ariza, and Kobe can switch off and play Turkoglu and Lewis on the perimeter. The Magic didn't get nearly as many open looks in Game 1 as compared to any of the games in the Cavs series. I expect them to make more shots, no question. They still have to find a way to deal with Kobe, though. Easier said than done.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='780871' date='Jun 6 2009, 12:13 PM']Odom, Ariza, and Kobe can switch off and play Turkoglu and Lewis on the perimeter. The Magic didn't get nearly as many open looks in Game 1 as compared to any of the games in the Cavs series. I expect them to make more shots, no question. They still have to find a way to deal with Kobe, though. Easier said than done.[/quote]

They couldnt really deal with LeBron either as he was getting 30+ every night it
seemed but they pretty much shut the rest of the team down. It seemed like
Pietrus did an okay job but LeBron was still going off. They need to approach
the Lakers the same way. Kobe is gonna get his regardless so concentrate on
shutting the others down!!

Turnovers killed them this time. Dont remember the total number but they had like
10 in the first quarter alone which I believe was more than they had in the entire
first game. The Magic are lucky this wasnt a blowout.

Cant figure out towards the end of the game what the hell Courtney Lee was doing
with the ball. Not the lob pass from out of bounds but the possession just before
that. He's sure as hell not Kobe and you dont put the ball in the hands of a rookie
there. Why it didnt go to Howard or Lewis is beyond me. Of course he almost
made up for it on the screen lob pass there at the buzzer but missed that one too.

Oh well.

If the Magic lose just one of these next 3 at home they're done.

Rookie or not , I don't question Courtney Lee having the ball. He has been pretty huge all post season. At least against the Celtics he was pretty good. Anyway, tough loss for the Magic last night ,but I still believe they can win this because they are a better team defensively,and we all know in any sport, defense wins championships. I expected the Magic to win in no more than 6. It can still happen! Crosses fingers!! :)

Archived