!!!Official 2009 Bengals Intra Squad Scrimmage Thread!!!

Jordan Palmer time

Another pre snap penalty (False Start).

Palmer to Brown - Tackle by Rico Murray from Moeller. 6 yards

Palmer hand off to Marlin Lucky (out of Nebraska)3rd and 2

Hand off to Lucky, close to First Down - FIRST DOWN

Palmer drops, quick hit to Freddie Brown inside 48. Tackle by Rico Murray (from Moeller)

2nd 4, Cosby in motion, Reverse to Cosby nice run plus late hit by Hebert. (Lap recap Cosby Texas career, he kicked ass)

Palmer hand off to Lucky, pick up of 4.

Luigs doing a good job according to Lap, just lacks experience.

2nd and 6, Palmer hand off to Lucky (Lucky not so Lucky dropped quickly).

3rd and 6, Shotgun Palmer throws out of bounds tight coverage. Big Blitz Zimmer brings the house.

[quote name='scharm' date='07 August 2009 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1249687970' post='789039']

(Lap says every RB brings something different)
[/quote]

I wonder if perhaps we'd keep an extra RB since we're so thin at TE. I had hoped they'd give James Johnson a chance earlier than he got last year.

Goal line situations -

Carson hand off to Vakapuna to the 1.

Pat Sims having good camp according to Lap.

From the 3, playaction Carson to Coffman complete but out of bounds (nice athletic effort)

From the 3, behind Vakapuna, De De dropped quickly by Peko.

Lap says Peko solid season last year unsung hero, hell of a year.

JT in, From the 3. JT calls timeout.

1st and Goal from 3, hand off Leonard - Defense Swarming, Offense gettin nothing

From the 3, Playaction, Roll, JT throws away Coffman double covered no where to go with the ball. (Defense kickin ass)

Jordan Palmer in - Lucky in gets the ball and goes to the HOUSE -TD!

Everyone coming in on the field sounds over. Lap says he didn't notice any dings or injuries.

What it sounded it like to me:

Offense Sloppy. O-line got some push at times. Defense well ahead of the offense at this point.

Michael Johnson had back to back sacks. Crocker got his name called often. Don't remember hearing about injuries. Jerami Johnson at the very least has worked his way into the fight for starting FB.

Sounds like they want to run the ball. Running sound like it was a focus to work on today. Carson didn't throw a bunch.

[quote name='T-Dub' date='07 August 2009 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1249689231' post='789050']
Nobody expects the shovel pass!

:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:
[/quote]

Defense is far easier to play than offense especially when you can't "hit" the QB. Take a bunch of guys who have never played the game against another group of guys who have never played... guarantee you the defense will win most the time. The offense needs time to gel - it's easy to fly around and make defensive plays. Doing it on a consistent basis is what they (the defense) need to work on.

[quote name='Tigris' date='07 August 2009 - 09:20 PM' timestamp='1249690825' post='789053']
Defense is far easier to play than offense especially when you can't "hit" the QB. Take a bunch of guys who have never played the game against another group of guys who have never played... guarantee you the defense will win most the time. The offense needs time to gel - it's easy to fly around and make defensive plays. Doing it on a consistent basis is what they (the defense) need to work on.
[/quote]

I think sarcasm was the aim... I imagine the bunny with a pancake on it's head represents his feelings on the shovel pass.

[quote name='Lucid' date='07 August 2009 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1249693433' post='789059']
I think sarcasm was the aim... I imagine the bunny with a pancake on it's head represents his feelings on the shovel pass.
[/quote]

Indeed it was. I considered the "suicide" smiley but I decided I would save that for when Brat calls it on 3rd & short out of the shotgun during the regular season.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='07 August 2009 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1249686147' post='789009']
Crocker with the pick!!! :headbang:

[b]Oh wait, is that a good thing?[/b]
[/quote]

I had mixed emotions on just about every play...early on, after a good play, I'd say "yeah, offense; boo defense" or vice versa.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='07 August 2009 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1249686293' post='789012']
By Josh Katzowitz
[email="RR-Bengals@cbssports.com"]Email a question to Josh Katzowitz[/email]

6:55:06 pm David in Overland Park, Kansas asks about TE [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1675595"]Darius Hill[/url]. This quote from coach [url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/tag/Marvin%20Lewis"]Marvin Lewis[/url] from a few days ago should answer the question. "He's really in need of a good redshirt year or maybe a season on the practice squad. We're not going into the season where we'll count on him."

[/quote]

Darius Hill looks more like a wide receiver than a tight end. Perhaps the "redshirt year" could be for adding mass...???

[quote name='scharm' date='07 August 2009 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1249686699' post='789018']
Punt Time.

Huber's family bought about 10K worth of jerseys. Breaking records.

Basically his UC career kicks ass (Lap recaps)
[/quote]

I'm not sure what they did with the jerseys; I saw Kevin's parents at the game, with his brother (who looks just like Kevin) and two girls who may have been his sisters (I've never met them)...and NONE OF THEM was wearing a Bengal's jersey.

Kevin's punts seemed to be outstanding...great hang time and distance. We were a little concerned that it [b]seemed[/b] like he was slow getting the punt off...not sure how close to 100% pressure the defense was applying.

[quote name='scharm' date='07 August 2009 - 08:21 PM' timestamp='1249687305' post='789024']

Lap has big woody for ben-gals

[/quote]

I must say that there's been a great improvement in the appearance of this group over the past few years.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='07 August 2009 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1249687881' post='789037']

[b][url="http://twitter.com/joereedy"][color="#0084b4"]joereedy[/color][/url][/b]Estimated crowd at Georgetown 6,500 plus one airplane [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23bengals"][color="#0084b4"]#bengals[/color][/url]
[url="http://twitter.com/joereedy/status/3185232415"]3 minutes ago[/url] from [url="http://www.tweetdeck.com/"]TweetDeck[/url]

Chad threw a good block? :o
[/quote]

6500 fans, one airplane, and the normal Steeler assholes making a spectacle of themselves on the hillside to the southeast.

...and Chad threw a very effective block.

A couple more comments about the scrimmage:

Shayne's 52 yard FG would have been good from almost 60 yards.

After the scrimmage, the players came to the fence on either side of the field to sign autographs. Many had removed their jerseys, making it difficult for anyone but the most devout of Bengal fans to recognize some of the players. It was funny to hear fans asking other fans who some of the guys were while they were waiting to get autographs.

I'm not one for collecting autographs, or enduring the throngs of those doing so. My daughter and I had made our way to the home side of the field and were just watching the autograph session continue...even saw a guy who brought a little Bengals' scooter that he was getting the players to autograph.

While we're standing there, we noticed that three players had emerged from under the bleachers behind us. Bobby Williams, Andrew Crummey, Dennis Roland who is 6'9" tall...he made Crummey look short...and Crummey is 6'5".

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/07/scrimmage-roundup/"][b][size="5"]Scrimmage roundup[/size][/b][/url][size="5"] [/size]
Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]Joe Reedy[/email] August 7th, 2009, 9:42 pm

The Bengals have said repeatedly during the offseason that they were going to stress the run this year. During Friday's scrimmage at Georgetown College, it was on full display.

Of the 33 plays, all but 12 were runs as they averaged 5.7 yards per attempt (21 runs for 119 yards).

"It was good that we made some positive things in the run game," offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said. "Defensively they were a little short handed but I still would've expected us to have success."

Cedric Benson showed his potential to add to the run game with 24 yards on four carries. After being stopped for 1-yard gains on the first two attempts, Benson had runs of 10 and 12 yards on back-to-back plays on sweeps around the right side.

DeDe Dorsey had the longest run of the night (37 yards) while Brian Leonard (five carries for 22 yards) also looked good.

"I started to get in synch towards the end. It's good to know we're getting there and getting there early," Benson said.

Palmer had a decent night with one big mistake. He was 3 of 4 for 36 yards but had an interception as Chris Crocker read Chad Ochocinco's inside route and jumped it.

On the times that the quarterbacks did throw there was plenty of play action.

"We did OK. I mean, it is what it is," Palmer said. "We have some areas we need to clean up. I think we had too many penalties. My turnover didn't help us. We missed a couple blocks in a couple areas, which didn't help us."

And in the first test for the offensive line, it succeeded. There were plenty of open holes while only two sacks were allowed in 33 plays.

The offense did struggle in goal-line and some short-yardage situation, but overall offensive line coach Paul Alexander was pleased.

"Our backs are really understanding the courses and fitting together and working it out. I like the teamwork we have and our receivers are blocking better than ever," Alexander said.

One person who was not pleased was defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who will have plenty of things to show during position group meetings.

"We sucked. We didn't stop the runs well," Zimmer said. "We were aggressive but we missed a lot of tackles. We had some guys playing different positions but still that's no excuse. We had guys getting in wrong places."

[b]Injury report[/b]
LB Brandon Johnson (hamstring), CB David Jones (foot), TE Daniel Coats (ankle), TE Ben Utecht (concussion), C Dan Santucci (foot), LB Keith Rivers (leg), S Corey Lynch (leg) LB Rey Maualuga (leg), DE Frostee Rucker (hip), DT Pernell Phillips (ill), OG Evan Mathis (leg), RB Bernard Scott (shoulder), RB Kenny Watson (illness).

[b]Quote of the day[/b]
[indent]"He'll tell me how great of a play it was and I'll tell him how bad a play it was on my part and we'll keep talking next week," Carson Palmer on his interception by Chris Crocker.

[/indent]
[b]Hard Knocks moment[/b]
The crews were out in force for the scrimmage, filming fans and cars as they arrived to the complex. Three coaches were miked for the scrimmage.

[b]Four Downs[/b]
[list][*]Remembering Johnson: LB Dhani Jones was not at the complex as he attended the funeral of late Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson. Jones played in Philadelphia for three seasons (2004-06).[*]Something out of nothing: James Johnson did a bit of improvising on one play, taking a busted shovel pass for a 13-yard gain. Johnson is part of the logjam at halfback.[*]Sack master: Third-round pick Michael Johnson recorded sacks on back-to-back plays, getting the better of Augustus Parrish.[*]Kicking game: Rookie punter Kevin Huber averaged 48.8 yards on his six punts with a long of 56 with two inside the 20. Shayne Graham was 4 of 6 on field goals.[/list]

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/07/scrimmage-roundup/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/07/scrimmage-roundup/[/url]

Archived