Zoomtown blows

mongo

So I've just about had it with Zoomtown. I've had stability issues with them for almost the entire time I've been with them (about 2 years now). I've also noticed that for me, their "Up to 5Mbps download rates" usually meant somewhere between 3 and 4Mbps. Yesterday, I reached a breaking point when I was trying to blow off some steam with a little Team Fortress 2 (nothing makes you feel better than Pyro-ing everything that moves). Unfortunately, the internet connection would reset itself every 40 seconds to 4 minutes. As you may have guessed, that does not help anyone blow off steam...

I called Zoomtown, navigated the system tree, sat on hold for 20 minutes, and got the tech support guy. He walked me through all of the fixes I'd already tried before calling (and had retried while on hold), and eventually came to the conclusion that there was some connection instability (shocker). He "adjusted some frequencies" and my connection stopped crapping out (although it did crap out a few more times when lightning would strike nearby). I thanked him, and went on my merry way.

This morning, I woke with the "adjusted some frequencies" stuck in my head. I fired up the computer, navigated to the zoomtown speed test (which is far more generous than any other speed tests, but what the hell), and ran a test. Sure enough, "adjusted some frequencies" translates to "cut your download rate in half." Now I find myself paying $45 a month for 2Mbps download rates (or, I guess I could pay $45 a month for unstable 4Mbps download rates).

Time to call Roadrunner?

Last time I used them, their post-deal rates were somewhere in the $45-$50 range per month. As I recall, their "Up to 7Mbps download rates" were pretty accurate.

Anyone know the rate for Roadrunner after their 12 month special rates goes away?

Thoughts?

Pitchforks, torches, and march on Cincinnati Bell?

i guess the fiber service isnt available from cinbell?

its off the hook.. 30mb up and down.. translates to about 20mb down and about 12mb up..

its like f'n christmas everyday here...

$40month for the net.. paying like $160 total adding 3 HD dvr's cable web and hbo/mac/tmc/show etc..

roadrunner is cool, upload speeds suck donkey ass compared to cinbell tho..

I have the Zoomtown. I do notice that the modem's connection resets frequently whenever there's lightning - a minor annoyance in the scheme of things, so I haven't done anything about it. Incidentally, I believe they assigned me a new IP address yesterday (though I could be mistaken, that's not exactly the kind of thing I memorize).

[quote name='GoBengals' date='11 August 2009 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1250006998' post='789771']
i guess the fiber service isnt available from cinbell?

its off the hook.. 30mb up and down.. translates to about 20mb down and about 12mb up..

its like f'n christmas everyday here...

$40month for the net.. paying like $160 total adding 3 HD dvr's cable web and hbo/mac/tmc/show etc..

roadrunner is cool, upload speeds suck donkey ass compared to cinbell tho..
[/quote]

I'm not familiar with that service, nor can I find anything about it... Guess that's not offered here.

With Roadrunner, I can get the 7Mbps download speed for $35, or the 15Mbps download for $45. Uploads do blow, but I just don't do much uploading other than to my site, or the occasional zip of photos.

When I worked at Zoomtown, that was exactly what we did. If the connection was unstable, we stepped the speed down on the connection until it was stable. If you got anything over 768 Kbps, they wouldn't do a damn thing.

Apparently its in the user agreement somewhere that 768 was the minimum speed provided, and anything over was a bonus.

I havent worked there in 3 years, so I don't know what their minimum is now, I had heard that they were outsourcing the help desk, but that was from other people that used to work there.

The best thing that I can do is say to ask for a supervisor right away and then work with them, they will get you to a level "2.5" technician with more authority to do something, including sending a technician out.

Archived