!!!OFFICIAL 2009 HARD KNOCKS EPISODE #1 THREAD!!!

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='13 August 2009 - 12:07 AM' timestamp='1250132871' post='790289']
Personally, I took the 5:30 notification as a way for JD not to have to walk out with his luggage in front of all the other players.
[/quote]

ditto

[quote name='Jeb' date='13 August 2009 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1250133388' post='790302']
...or he's worried about getting injured in pre-season.
[/quote]
You make a good point but for a guy who is known to be one of the most physical players in the game i just expected a different reaction. I think of Roy as more of an inforcer for this team not a guy who is scared to get hurt in practice.

That was spectacular. Weird seeing Mike Brown leading that meeting though...LOL at the facepalms. Roy Williams made himself look very very bad...Was glad to see it wasn't all ochocinco, but he was definitely entertaining. I want more of Carson. Was Chris Henry and Jerome Simpson among the 3 that were late?

[quote name='cp2024' date='13 August 2009 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1250134300' post='790320']
You make a good point but for a guy who is known to be one of the most physical players in the game i just expected a different reaction. I think of Roy as more of an inforcer for this team not a guy who is scared to get hurt in practice.
[/quote]

He's getting older and he's really got something to prove to the whole league not just this team.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 August 2009 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1250134060' post='790319']
maybe lippencott was hoping the film crew wasn't awake yet so he wouldn't get cut on camera. :shrug:
[/quote]

what the fuck was that thing around his waste??? a lupton? (the male equivalent to a FUPA.)

I loved it. Oddly enough, the only parts that made me cringe were Mike Brown making personal decisions at the end, and Katie not even being able to remember the name of our 1st round holdout.

I love Chase Coffman, but that had to of been brutal for him. Though thanks to him we got the best line of the night...

"You're straighter than a hard on"

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='13 August 2009 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1250134915' post='790327']
That was spectacular. Weird seeing Mike Brown leading that meeting though...LOL at the facepalms. Roy Williams made himself look very very bad...Was glad to see it wasn't all ochocinco, but he was definitely entertaining. I want more of Carson. Was Chris Henry and Jerome Simpson among the 3 that were late?
[/quote]

I think Henry, Caldwell, and Coles were at the front of the talk

ok, my thoughts:

1- Jim Lipencott was for sure out of shape and did no justice cutting someone at 5:30 in the freagin morning.
2- almost felt like crying seeing Kelly get the bad news that he's done for the year.
3- definitely loved Chris Crocker attitude for sure.
4- wish we can see the rest of the 790 hrs of footage that they didn't air <_< i could watch this all night

ok, my thoughts:

1. Jim Lippincot is oddly shaped. He has a fabulous Fupa.
2. Wake up your cut is not a cool way to cut someone. However, forcing the tv crews out of the room was a great move.
3. Chad Johnson is tolerated by the leaders of the team and not liked. It is obvious. The leaders of the team are dhani, Carson, Whitworth and probably more that I dont know of. Chad is a joke to all of them. A ticking timebomb of a diva who they have to treat differently then everyone else.
4. Roy Williams might not be going hard....that might be a good thing against our own players.
5. People are being too hard on Mike Brown. He is the GM so he leads the personnel meetings. He did not dictate anything to anyone...he asked a question. Could we try this. The coaches clearly had veto power or at the very least the power to sway MBs opinion by giving theirs.

I actually liked Andre Smith more after this, most of what i knew about him was from reading articles, listening to him talk I liked him a lot more then I thought I would

Also can't believe Katie saying, oh we are offering a lot of money, he should just take it even if its not a good offer, because its still a lot of money

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' date='13 August 2009 - 04:02 AM' timestamp='1250146937' post='790357']
I actually liked Andre Smith more after this, most of what i knew about him was from reading articles, listening to him talk I liked him a lot more then I thought I would

Also can't believe Katie saying, oh we are offering a lot of money, he should just take it even if its not a good offer, because its still a lot of money
[/quote]

I think she was speaking more in the general. Essentially, here we are offering this kid tens of millions and dollars and they still want more. More of a nature of the business kind of thing. I don't think she was saying "oh, we're offering him this amount and he should just take it."

Would rather have seen Marvin cut Runnels then Lippincott. That scene and Mike Brown leading the personnel meeting didn't completely sit right with me.

Andre Smith interviewed well. Agree that Lippincott looks weird. In past years at cutdown day, other teams do it with the coach in his office. I'd like to see something on the D-line to see how the competition there is shaking out. It's a good thing in the long run that Coffman is getting so many reps and they're getting on him to do things right. Will we end up with Vakapuna and Pressley as the two fullbacks? How did Jeremi gain weight during camp?

[quote name='globetrotter' date='13 August 2009 - 03:02 AM' timestamp='1250143343' post='790349']

3. Chad Johnson is tolerated by the leaders of the team and not liked. It is obvious. The leaders of the team are dhani, Carson, Whitworth and probably more that I dont know of. Chad is a joke to all of them. A ticking timebomb of a diva who they have to treat differently then everyone else.

[/quote]

since I know you have an agenda with this one, you're gonna need to back it up with examples, because none of it took place last night.

This thread is full of people who disliked Mike Brown running a meeting. Is the notion of 3 TEs and 2 FBs appalling to some people, or is it just who said it? Personally, I don't care about who says what. I only care about what is said. Mike Brown is a GM, and I don't care if he runs a meeting.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around 3 TEs and 2 FBs... Is that really all that different than last year? Last year we had 4 TEs (5 with St. Louis, but no one counts him), but I thought Coats was more FB last year than TE anyway. This year, we'll at least have Coats back at TE to block, Coffman should be able to outperform Utecht from 2008 (I like the guy and hope he's okay, but he didn't do anything last year), and I think Sherry can do more than Lawrie did last year. Additionally, I think Fui is important in case something goes wrong with Jeremi.

I think it's tough to go sign a big name TE when you're (potentially) staring at so much of your TE salary for the year on IR. I think if they sign a guy, it's going to be someone like Lawrie for league minimum. As such, I think you can hold off on that until you need to, and keep Fui.

Fuckin loved every second of it!!

My take on cutting Runnels is that they definitely did it at that time so it wouldn't be in front of his teammates.

Gotta love Crocker's attitude.

Chad was far less annoying than I imagined.

Can't wait to see the sideline and film session footage for the NO game next week!!!!!!

[quote name='cp2024' date='13 August 2009 - 12:35 AM' timestamp='1250134535' post='790322']
Jim Lipencott is one weird shaped dude.
[/quote]

HAHA! my wife was like "look at that dudes hips"!! LOL! dude got a lotta bass in that bottom and also junk in da trunk.
Shake dat monkey Jim!!!

[quote name='globetrotter' date='13 August 2009 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1250143343' post='790349']
3. Chad Johnson is tolerated by the leaders of the team and not liked. It is obvious. The leaders of the team are dhani, Carson, Whitworth and probably more that I dont know of. Chad is a joke to all of them. A ticking timebomb of a diva who they have to treat differently then everyone else. [/quote]

I disagree completely, and would like to know how you came to such a conclusion.

[quote]5. People are being too hard on Mike Brown. He is the GM so he leads the personnel meetings. He did not dictate anything to anyone...he asked a question. Could we try this. The coaches clearly had veto power or at the very least the power to sway MBs opinion by giving theirs.
[/quote]

I agree completely. I did not see him telling them something.
I saw him ask them something. And I haven't heard anything
about Harrington being moved to TE, and is still listed as the
3rd string LDE, so what the hell.

[b][size="5"]The Really Show
[/size][/b]GEOFF HOBSON

Posted Aug 12, 2009

Posted: 2 a.m.

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - As the [i]Hard Knocks[/i] cameras captured fullback J.D. Runnels Jr., getting cut near the end of its Bengals premiere Wednesday night, Chad Ochocinco wanted his uStream followers to take note.

"That's real life, people. Real life," The Ocho implored into his laptop as director of football operations Jim Lippincott delivered the hardest knock of all. "This is a business. You wonder why we fight and fuss."

Apparently NFL Films did its business well because the players that spoke to Bengals.com in the immediate aftermath of the show were real in their praise of the reality.

And a star was born in the person of tight ends coach Jon Hayes, whose stewardship of rookie Chase Coffman ranged wildly from poignant to hilarious in between him making Coffman doing pushups in the meeting room after watching his mistakes on film.

"Do you have any moves?" Hayes asked him. When Coffman tentatively said, "Yes," Hayes said, "I'd wish you'd start incorporating some of them."

"The whole thing with Chase was pretty good," said linebacker Brandon Johnson. "I thought the whole thing was good. It's pretty real. It shows the game pretty well. The good and the bad."

More business?

As they talked about first-round pick Andre Smith's holdout, the show noted the Bengals gave away his bed when they signed free-agent tackle Gus Parrish.

"You hear that?" The Ocho squealed. "They gave away the man's bed."

As The Ocho twittered and streamed in his room while watching, Antonio Chatman gave Anthony Collins a haircut as Laveranues Coles, Chris Henry and Antwan Odom watched in the next room.

"I like it any time the Bengals are on TV," Collins said. "It showed us working and grinding and that we want to win. My favorite part had to be Ray with the air gun."

One of the biggest laughs was reserved for associate strength coach Ray Oliver when the cameras caught his daily assignment of waking up camp at 6:45 a.m. Meticulously checking his watch in the middle of the courtyard, Oliver uttered "30 seconds," paused, then "10 seconds," and blasted away with a long screech that he ended with a simple, "Wow."

The Ocho got a lot of laughs, of course. Everybody got good treatment and he was no different as the film quickly showed brief clips of him working out during the summer boxing and sprinting on the beach. He gave an explanation of his new saying, "Child, please," in answer to somebody disrespecting him. He said it is basically a nice way tell somebody something you can't say in the morning and the afternoon on HBO.

But what made The Ocho laugh the loudest and send him heaving into the other room was a pre-practice conversation/challenge with safety Chris Crocker that began with Crocker calling him "Sugar or Honey or whatever you call your damn self."

Still, the show supplied balance. It also caught a serious moment with Ochocinco and quarterback Carson Palmer telling him they can't take any plays off because they can't afford not to make a big play when one affords itself this year.

But this wasn't the Chad Show. As the Bengals resident reality TV star, middle linebacker Dhani Jones, said, "It can't be about one guy. It's about us as a team and there have to be all kinds of storylines."

Yet the best film moment wasn't the funniest, it was the saddest. It came when Bengals trainer Paul Sparling quietly told tight end Reggie Kelly he was done for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon. Kelly's effort to fight back tears as he tugged to get his pads off is filmmaking at its best.

It looked like The Ocho had to fight back some tears himself as he watched himself comfort Kelly on the show.

"That's sad," he said. "It doesn't hit you at first until it settles after practice and you begin to think about it. Then you see it on TV just now and it hits home even more."

The players seemed to approve of the way they handled filming tight end Ben Utecht's concussion in which he lay prone on the field for a dozen minutes. The camera hovered on Utecht as he was lifted on to the stretcher and into the ambulance. But instead of following him to the hospital, they got a riveting shot of Bengals president Mike Brown walking back to his dorm room talking about how scary the game can be.

Brown, who likes his privacy, got two other calls in the show. In the first one they took an excerpt from his introductory speech in the first camp meeting in which he emphasized "We were embarrassed last year," and "Now is the time to fight back to show what we can do and have the kind of season we all want."

It also shows him in a personnel meeting with the coaches and trainers, mulling the possibility of now maybe keeping just two tight ends and an extra fullback or two, and even asking if the coaches think defensive end Chris Harrington is athletic enough to play tight end.

"That's the way it is. Somebody gets hurt and someone has to step up. Like Chase after Utecht got hurt," said left tackle Andrew Whitworth. "It was good. All the reality was definitely there."

Whitworth got a dose, too. It showed him and wife Melissa in their Louisiana home as he gets ready to leave for training camp. Her reaction to his explanation of the Oklahoma drill was funny enough that the Ocho repeated her "Hrrmph."

"That came out well; I was a little worried," said Whitworth of his wife, a TV newscaster in Monroe, La. "My wife is pretty blunt. She's a TV anchor so she doesn't care what she says. They miked her during the scrimmage, but they didn't use it so I guess everything was OK."

Jones, who starred in [i]Dhani Tackles The Globe [/i]for the Travel Channel, says you can never tell what is going to make it.

"You may think you know, but you can never tell because it's all about the stories. That's what the people want to see and they've got some pretty good ones," Jones said. "The tight ends. Jeremi (Johnson) and the fullbacks. Chad. I know what kind of season Chad is going to have on the field, so I like seeing the previews."

Head coach Marvin Lewis is also a story, which is how the documentary starts. They focus on his approach to building off a four-win season and start the show two months before training camp with the minicamp "Superstars" competition, a fun event in which linemen tried to shoot three-pointers and catch punts all the while Lewis emphasizing competition.

It turns out the cameras have been catching a little competition between Ocho and Whitworth as they discuss boxing and what they would do to each other. Wednesday's show showed The Ocho blocking Whitworth's elbow.

"We'll see if what happened today makes it," Whitworth said. "We like to slap box and let's just say he knows now why they have weight classes."

The Ocho might not mind that if they keep it real.

"I liked it, but there's so much more that I said," he said. "From what I hear."

As he left the room, Odom let out a "Child, please."

In less than eight hours, Oliver would blast the horn again.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/the-really-show/0e688088-ee56-459d-9b0c-662b2eca0060"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/the-really-show/0e688088-ee56-459d-9b0c-662b2eca0060[/url]

Archived