!!!OFFICIAL 2009 HARD KNOCKS EPISODE #1 THREAD!!!

[quote name='mongo' date='13 August 2009 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1250166541' post='790378']
[b]This thread is full of people who disliked Mike Brown running a meeting. [/b]Is the notion of 3 TEs and 2 FBs appalling to some people, or is it just who said it? Personally, I don't care about who says what. I only care about what is said. Mike Brown is a GM, and I don't care if he runs a meeting.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around 3 TEs and 2 FBs... Is that really all that different than last year? Last year we had 4 TEs (5 with St. Louis, but no one counts him), but I thought Coats was more FB last year than TE anyway. This year, we'll at least have Coats back at TE to block, Coffman should be able to outperform Utecht from 2008 (I like the guy and hope he's okay, but he didn't do anything last year), and I think Sherry can do more than Lawrie did last year. Additionally, I think Fui is important in case something goes wrong with Jeremi.

I think it's tough to go sign a big name TE when you're (potentially) staring at so much of your TE salary for the year on IR. I think if they sign a guy, it's going to be someone like Lawrie for league minimum. As such, I think you can hold off on that until you need to, and keep Fui.
[/quote]

Not just this thread but Bengal fans all over the internet are commenting on this about how scary it is. If you didn't know it before you should now know why they have had only one winning season in the past 15 plus years. The coaches clearly didn't have veto power. Go rewatch the scene again because you obviously weren't paying attention.

Ok, after reading the current posts and mulling over what the show meant, my thoughts are:

1. Roy Williams is not that interested in the practice and wants to jump directly into a game. "This is not a game" or something like that came from his mouth.

2. Andre and Jeremi need Jenny Craig to pay a personal visit. At the very least have Andre keep his shirt on or put a bra on hs man boobs.

3. Hayes had his head cocked to the side and almost heard an inaudible sigh from his lips when Mike Brown uttered Harrington's name. Heard a little backpedaling during this scene.

4. Where was Nancy Brown ? Sure do like her alot and wonder where she was. Did I miss something ?

5. Hi - wake up - Your cut. Wow. Brutal for Runnels.

6. "Child Please" ok we get it. Look at me I'm on TV. Show me on the field how good you are, don't tell me about it. In other words Chad... "Child Please..." until that day comes.

7. I saw Whodey24K scuffing balls in the one segment.... J/K. No, seriously though, were there any members on here that were on screen ? (I actually believe there is for certain one).

8. In one segment, Rey is walking down the road at Georgetown and says something to someone walking past. That person does not respond. Did Rey look surprised to know he might not be big man on campus ?

9. 180 something dollars for a TV, get the F*&# out of here. I'll haul some for them to watch. In regards to internet, Georgetown has enough wireless to surf without having a connection provided by whomever is running the rental scheme there. Yes, I'll even show them how to turn their internet on...

10. Why does this feel like Letterman's top ten list ? That little 4th grade ball boy looked like he wanted none of the conversation being delivered. or was it he received orders that if he talked to the players he was gone ? Yes, I though that was awkward the way that conversation played out.

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/13/thornton-first-episode-interesting-and-surprising/"][b][size="5"]Thornton: First episode interesting and surprising[/size][/b][/url][b][size="5"]
[/size][/b]Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]Joe Reedy[/email] August 13th, 2009, 8:04 am

Post a Comment Recommend [i]

After each episode of Hard Knocks, former Bengal John Thornton will give his opinions on the episode, lending a player's perspective. Thornton, who played for the Bengals from 2003-08, is the founder and co-CEO of JockBiz along with running Allproblogger.com. He also appears on Thursday nights on WLW-AM as part of the Bengals Roundtable. [/i]

Let me start off by saying that I think that NFL Films does the best job at covering the NFL. All of their shows are well put together and make you want to keep watching no matter what the show is about. I have to be honest, I didn't think that the Bengals should have agreed to allow Hard Knocks to film their training camp. I felt it would be too much of a distraction and it would focus on negative stories about the Bengals. But to my surprise, I found myself hanging onto every word of Hard Knocks and I think the show was great and I was entertained.

Even though I was a Bengal for the last six years, it was still interesting for me to see this team practicing and going about everyday life in training camp. I liked how they started the show off by showing the team in minicamp. Marvin Lewis and the team had a skills competition that brought the team together and had some fun. The team did this in years past, but this one looked like the players liked it. The party at Marvin's house showed all of the staff getting together for drinks before the grind of training camp. ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY [img]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The behind the scenes stories are the ones that interested me the most. The practice clips are the same in every camp, but what the Bengals do behind the scenes were the best part of the show. As a player, we only know what happens in our own room. The defensive line doesn't know what the other positions are talking about, and vice versa. So when the cameras went into the tight ends meeting room, it was something new for me. I think Jon Hayes is a great coach. He probably works his players harder than any other coach on the field. So to hear him coaching in meetings was an eye opener. He is very direct. He holds his guys accountable. He swears at them. And they respect it. That shows fans how rough it is. When that practice or game film comes on, there is no hiding. Either you did it right or wrong. No grey area.

Also the HBO Team showing the staff meetings was a good thing. I never even knew what room they met in before HBO showed me. But to see that Mike Brown runs all the meetings and how the coaches were sitting there like students was a shock. Weird seeing the coaches in different roles. And the all had their notebooks out taking notes from Mr Brown. All in all I thought that the show was good. They focused on football and not the Bengals' recent history. I would think that most fans would enjoy this rare inside look of the Bengals.

[b]Most real moment[/b]
When TE Reggie Kelly tore his achiles tendon. The show did a good job of talking Reggie up and showing what he meant to the team before they went to the shot of him getting hurt. Then to see him there on the training room table getting the news that his season was over was really tough. Reggie is in his 11th season and in the last year of his contract, and to hear that you have a long recovery ahead of you has to be tough. That showed the other side of sports.

[b]Most real moment II[/b]
The releasing of fullback J.D. Runnels. I've seen guys get cut before but the way that this was done was kinda classless. This guy was the same guy that was doing a good job a few days before, and not only does he get released, but you do it a 5:30 a.m., and you tell the guy he has no ability. The person who told him was Jim Lipincott. I like Jim and I think he is a good guy, but that was just way too cold for me. Show the guy some respect. He didn't even give J.D. time to realize he just got cut before he was asking him where he was flying to. I know Jim has a hard job, and having to tell guys that their dream of playing in the NFL may be over is tough, but there has to be a better way to do it. This was one of the few dark spots of the show for me. I've watched Hard Knocks before and each team at least gave the guy being released better treatment than this. Maybe this part was edited to make it look harsh, but wow, it doesn't have to be so "wham bam, thank you…"

[b]Andre Smith Mess[/b]
Andre Smith should have declined the offer to have the cameras film him working out back home. I know that they showed him out in the sun working, but he did not do himself any favors. The longer he holds out, the higher the chance of someone getting hurt. And then the Bengals talk about how much money they are offering him, just not a good situation. I blame both parties, hopefully they meet each other halfway and get the deal done.

[b]Comedy[/b]
The funniest part of the show to me may have been missed by most. Assistant strength coach Ray Oliver is in charge of waking guys up and blowing that horn every morning at 6:45 a.m. Anyone who knows Ray will know that he probably hates having to blow that horn. I could just picture him cursing under his breath as he gets dressed in the morning to go do this. Once he gets outside, he gives a countdown to 6:45 a.m. And after each countdown, he takes a sip of coffee. Then before he blows the horn, he lets off this big smile, like he is making everyone else pay for him having to get up early. You have to look carefully to see the smile, but I saw it. Classic Ray Oliver. Funniest man on the team.

[b]Mike Brown in charge[/b]
During the staff meetings, Mike Brown is clearly running things day to day. He meets with the coaches on a daily basis. He showed a nice side when he told the coaches to make sure that they called TE Reggie Kelly after he got hurt because Reggie would feel better knowing that the team and players were thinking about him. Then Mr Brown made the coaches squirm in their seats a little later on in the show when he asked the coaches if they thought DE Chris Harrington could move to TE after all over the injuries to the position. TE coach Jon Hayes scratched his head a little before answering the question then passed a little of the heat over to his brother DL coach Jay Hayes.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. I think this team can handle being on Hard Knocks. Players and coaches are having fun and are excited for the season and it shows on camera. After watching the Bengals practice four times during training camp, I think they have the right mental make up not to let the cameras be a distraction. The coaches and the owners haven't changed because of the increased publicity either.

Going forward I would like to see the show focus on the tradition of the Bengals and the great Paul Brown. Young Bengals fans and young NFL fans in general should know this teams past, not just its recent past. There have been some great teams, great coaches and great players that have come through Cincinnati over the years, they should be remembered for just a bit.

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/13/thornton-first-episode-interesting-and-surprising/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/13/thornton-first-episode-interesting-and-surprising/[/url]

[quote name='Jeb' date='13 August 2009 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1250135003' post='790328']
He's getting older and he's really got something to prove to the whole league not just this team.
[/quote]
Yeah your right but you don't back down from competiton in front of millions of people and probably other teams watching if you got something to prove to the whole league.

1) Loved it, loved it, loved it

2) Contrary to some, I got a favorable impression of Mikey. He IS the GM of this team. He showed he was trying to get creative. He showed the collaborative process of his decision making. And he showed he had a heart (reference to the Utecht injury). Didn't like his opening night speach (not exactly inspiring) - but overall, I did not hate I saw.

3) I hated the way Runnels was cut. This has nothing to do with who or when...but rather how. His question of "did they say why?" is a fair one. "We only cut based on ability" is a cold, non-descript answer. While I know "football is a business"...the Bengals should also know that they very well may be in the market for a cut player's services in the future (see Matt Sherry). It's not that hard to build bridges instead of walls. Based on what we saw, I have to believe a player cut by the Bengals is left with a sour taste in his mouth.

4) The Pressly angle was interesting...doesn't look like he is getting a lot of reps.

5) Just a guess...they chose Coffman as a representative rookie...makes sense with the other story lines of Kelly/Utecht injuries. Although I have to imagine most/all rookies go through a time when they have no idea what they are doing and are called out in team meetings.

6) I thought NFL Films did a great job of showing the area/region in a positive light. The town & college of Georgetown had to be happy

7) Did anyone else get the impression that the security chick wasn't simply doing her job...but that she genuinely had no idea who Carson or Chad were?

[quote name='Nukem41' date='13 August 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1250168483' post='790385']
Not just this thread but Bengal fans all over the internet are commenting on this about how scary it is. If you didn't know it before you should now know why they have had only one winning season in the past 15 plus years. The coaches clearly didn't have veto power. Go rewatch the scene again because you obviously weren't paying attention.
[/quote]

well considering harrington hasn't taken any snaps at TE, it would seem that Mike didn't get his way. Not to mention he was offering an opinion, not dictating that the coaches DO anything.

I'm quite confident that Mike Brown has learned more about the game of football than any fan on any message board. The sticking point with Mike, which causes his problems with the fans, is that most times he puts the business side of things ahead of the football side of things. His problem isn't a lack of knowledge. The problem is how he values that knowledge.

[quote name='whodey1971' date='13 August 2009 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1250169095' post='790391'] 7) Did anyone else get the impression that the security chick wasn't simply doing her job...but that she genuinely had no idea who Carson or Chad were? [/quote]

For a minute I thought the same thing. However, after thinking about it, she probably knew everyone (veterans) that was to come through. However, if I knew that my boss told me to check every ID regardless of who it was and I was being filmed doing my job, I would check them too. I don't believe everyone in the car was checked though... or were they ?

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/12/hard-knocks-episode-i-is-in-the-books/"][b][size="5"]Hard Knocks: Episode I is in the books[/size][/b][/url][size="5"] [/size]

Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]Joe Reedy[/email] August 12th, 2009, 11:06 pm

I hate to use the Dennis Green line here, but the episode ended up being what I thought it would be — a quick-paced wrapup of the first couple weeks. The Oklahoma Drill, Reggie Kelly and Ben Utecht's injuries and the fullback battle got lots of attention.

Chad Ochocinco got the right amount of minutes (judging by the HBO release earlier today I almost thought most of the show would be about him) and now at least I'll know how angry he is by the way he says "Child Please". The funniest moment of the show though was Rey Maualuga comparing Gus Parrish to Randy Jackson.

Among the surprises:

[list][*]The profile of FB Chris Pressley. He has a reputation of being a old-style fullback and has a workout on YouTube that still draws rave reviews. But it is good seeing the adversity he battled to get to Wisconsin and then a shot at an NFL roster.[/list]

[list][*]Seeing the early struggles of Chase Coffman. It's no wonder that offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said no one has made more gains than any player the first week. He made plenty of mistakes the first couple days.[/list]

[list][*]J.D. Runnels Jr. got a lot of footage, which was very surprising for someone who was released on Monday. It was also surprising to see the way he got released. Usually The Turk, who in this case is Jim Lippincott, says the coach wants to see you and then you bring the playbooks. In this case, The Turk did everything which also brings up the long discussion of who actually gets to decide the roster — Lewis or Mike Brown?[/list]

[list][*]The Andre Smith holdout was addressed and that there was footage of him working out in Alabama.[/list]

[list][*]Mike Brown got a little more film time then what I thought he would. The opening of camp speech I expected, the daily meetings wasn't. Brown talking about the number of players they would keep along with asking whether Chris Harrington could be made into a tight end was very telling.[/list]

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/12/hard-knocks-episode-i-is-in-the-books/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/08/12/hard-knocks-episode-i-is-in-the-books/[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='13 August 2009 - 09:59 AM' timestamp='1250168374' post='790384']

And [b]a star was bor[/b][b]n[/b] in the person of tight ends coach Jon Hayes, whose stewardship of rookie Chase Coffman ranged wildly from poignant to hilarious in between him making Coffman doing pushups in the meeting room after watching his mistakes on film.

"Do you have any moves?" Hayes asked him. When Coffman tentatively said, "Yes," Hayes said, "I'd wish you'd start incorporating some of them."

"The whole thing with Chase was pretty good," said linebacker Brandon Johnson. "I thought the whole thing was good. It's pretty real. It shows the game pretty well. The good and the bad."

[/quote]

I don't know about a "star", but I was definitely impressed with Jon Hayes after last night. The Hayes brothers take a lot of crap here for being close friends of Marvin (hence them being coaches on the team), but I thought it was refreshing to see Jon making players do pushups in meetings, and demanding the most out of his players.

Further, he wasn't letting the fact that he's known Coffman since the day he was born change the way he coached him.

[quote]J.D. Runnels Jr. got a lot of footage, which was very surprising for someone who was released on Monday. It was also surprising to see the way he got released. [b]Usually The Turk, who in this case is Jim Lippincott, says the coach wants to see you and then you bring the playbooks.[/b] In this case, The Turk did everything which also brings up the long discussion of who actually gets to decide the roster — Lewis or Mike Brown?[/quote]

I wonder why they did it differently this year?

[quote name='Numbers' date='13 August 2009 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1250169813' post='790395']
For a minute I thought the same thing. However, after thinking about it, she probably knew everyone (veterans) that was to come through. However, if I knew that my boss told me to check every ID regardless of who it was and I was being filmed doing my job, I would check them too. I don't believe everyone in the car was checked though... or were they ?
[/quote]

This isn't much different than military gates though. They check the driver, and they vouch for the others in the car.

[b][size="5"]Hard Knocks Episode One: Fullbacks, Tight Ends and Pissitivity [/size][/b]
[img]http://cdn2.sbnation.com/profile_images/19467/atari_tiny.gif[/img] [b]by [/b][url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/users/Kirkendall"][b][color="#d8431a"]Kirkendall[/color][/b][/url] on [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/8/12/987475/hard-knocks-episode-one-fullbacks"][b][color="#d8431a"]Aug 12, 2009 11:30 PM EDT[/color][/b][/url] in [url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/section/Analysis"][b][color="#d8431a"]Analysis[/color][/b][/url] [img]http://cdn3.sbnation.com/images/icons/comment.v1599.png[/img] 19 comments

If you watched Hard Knocks on Wednesday night, you learned a new word. Pissitivity, which includes five levels of being pissed off, through the eyes of [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2580/Chad_Ochocinco"][b][color="#d8431a"]Chad Ochocinco[/color][/b][/url] Johnson. As a side note, we learned that level four is "losing your keys mad." You also learned that if you drop a pass, that [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2600/Carson_Palmer"][b][color="#d8431a"]Carson Palmer[/color][/b][/url] will kick you in the balls.

The first episode of Hard Knocks was fun. Through the first ten minutes, the show put things into gear, focusing on the team's OTAs where players were separated into two teams competing through a variety of competitions; such as bench press, three-point contest, punt catch, football toss, the sledge-push relay and tug of war. Fast forward to the day before training camp, which shows, what Marvin Lewis called a "tail gate" party of [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/CIN"][b][color="#d8431a"]Bengals[/color][/b][/url] personnel (front office, coaches, etc) playing cornhole, eating and drinking. We saw [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2621/Andrew_Whitworth"][b][color="#d8431a"]Andrew Whitworth[/color][/b][/url] eating (healthy foods?) with his wife, packing and getting ready. [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/72345/Chris_Pressley"][b][color="#d8431a"]Chris Pressley[/color][/b][/url] walked with his son on the field of Georgetown College. Carson Palmer and Chad were seen driving into Georgetown, stopped by the attendant asking for ID. Both were shocked. It was funny.

The second quarter of the show focused hard on the team's first week of Training Camp. Much of it was about the Tight Ends and Fullbacks. [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2588/Reggie_Kelly"][b][color="#d8431a"]Reggie Kelly[/color][/b][/url]'s injury was shown, as was his upsetting reaction when he learned that he would be out for the season. Mostly everyone shown after the injury shows a lot of levity; knowing that what he brought to the lockerroom can't be replicated. Kelly said he would stick with the team, mentoring the young guys. You expected anything differently from the guy that [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16855/Jordan_Palmer"][b][color="#d8431a"]Jordan Palmer[/color][/b][/url] called the "spiritual leader of the team"? [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71196/Chase_Coffman"][b][color="#d8431a"]Chase Coffman[/color][/b][/url] was hounded by tight ends coach Jonathan Hayes, forced to do pushups during films for one of many screw ups. However, he received the best compliment of the night when one of the coaches said he was making significant improvements everyday. [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2832/Ben_Utecht"][b][color="#d8431a"]Ben Utecht[/color][/b][/url]'s injury was shown soon after Kelly's, in which you saw the team completely collapse, worrying about him. This was minutes after it showed Utecht, Coffman, [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/19015/Daniel_Coats"][b][color="#d8431a"]Daniel Coats[/color][/b][/url] and Darius Hill together, working together after practice.

Several fights broke out. Mostly scrums that lasted until separated by teammates and all was [i]Pleasantville[/i] again. [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3098/Tank_Johnson"][b][color="#d8431a"]Tank Johnson[/color][/b][/url] struck up a conversation with a young water boy (or ball boy) asking the kid if he would fight if his team finished 4-11. After the kid said no, Tank told the kid that there's big kids in the fourth grade, so they're going to eat dinner together and talk.

The show shifted to fullbacks, detailing [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2582/Jeremi_Johnson"][b][color="#d8431a"]Jeremi Johnson[/color][/b][/url]'s history of weight issues and returning from an injury that wiped out his entire 2008 season. [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3119/J_D_Runnels"][b][color="#d8431a"]J.D. Runnels[/color][/b][/url], who running backs coach Jim Anderson called "bull dog", was showed being waived by the team towards the end of the show. Interestingly, he was waived at 5:30 AM by Director of Football Operations, Jim Lippincott, who immediately went into the process of a waiver -- while Runnels was still removing sleep from his eye. Lippincott took Runnel's playbook with him and set it outside a door. It was outside. Unsecured. A quick note. When we read that players are waived, you never see the emotion human factor. I started feeling bad for a guy that we rarely talked about. Chris Pressley was an interesting feature, talking about his childhood, growing up poor in New Jersey with a single mother. His son was born while he was still in high school and the opening feature of him walking with his kid, talking football, was neat. Another side note on Pressley, that dude is built like a train. Actually, trains say that they want to be built like that guy.

We learned that Roy Williams hates Oklahoma Drills and was buried by [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34605/Maurice_Purify"][b][color="#d8431a"]Maurice Purify[/color][/b][/url] -- it was kind of embarrassing. I would have liked if HBO expanded the feature on the Oklahoma Drills.

Chad Ochocinco Johnson had some moments -- if you didn't know that Chad can actually be a very funny person, you do now. Head coach Marvin Lewis grins that Chad's always on that computer, twittering and doing ustream. Carson Palmer was shown at one point talking Chad up, saying they can't take plays off. We also learned about "child, please", which is a nice way of saying "fuck you." [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71200/Rey_Maualuga"][b][color="#d8431a"]Rey Maualuga[/color][/b][/url] points out that Gus Parrish looks like American Idol's Randy Jackson with his glasses. He does. It's freaking scary. They momentarily featured [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71203/Andre_Smith"][b][color="#d8431a"]Andre Smith[/color][/b][/url] working out and losing weight in Alabama. Smith talks about wanting to move on about perceptions of him.

Oh, and did you see how much [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1125/Chris_Crocker"][b][color="#d8431a"]Chris Crocker[/color][/b][/url] got underneath Chad Ochocinco's skin? Classic.

You saw [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3073/Mike_Brown"][b][color="#d8431a"]Mike Brown[/color][/b][/url] and Katie Blackburn in several pieces. Katie was shown, looking bewildered at why they offer so much money ($33 million) and don't think that's enough. This is the person that has significant involvement with player negotiations. Brown made the suggestion that maybe they should give defensive end [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34660/Chris_Harrington"][b][color="#d8431a"]Chris Harrington[/color][/b][/url] a look at Tight End while the team was going through their rough patch of injuries. Jonathan Hayes shot that down, calling Harrington "stiff". Thank you Jon.

All in all, if you're a Bengals fan, it was everything we expected it to be. A look behind the scenes on the team. Did you guys see it? What did you think?

[url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/8/12/987475/hard-knocks-episode-one-fullbacks"]http://www.cincyjungle.com/2009/8/12/987475/hard-knocks-episode-one-fullbacks[/url]

[quote]8. In one segment, Rey is walking down the road at Georgetown and says something to someone walking past. That person does not respond. Did Rey look surprised to know he might not be big man on campus ?[/quote]

I don't think that was it at all. I took it as Rey walking past her, says hello, she says hello back and after she passes . He looks back like " Damn she was hot "

[quote name='Numbers' date='13 August 2009 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1250169813' post='790395']
[/quote]

judging by Carson and Chad's reactions, that seemed to be new this year. Maybe because of all the extra people being there with Hard Knocks?

[quote name='oldschooler' date='13 August 2009 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1250170595' post='790403']
We learned that Roy Williams hates Oklahoma Drills and was buried by [url="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34605/Maurice_Purify"][b][color="#d8431a"]Maurice Purify[/color][/b][/url] -- it was kind of embarrassing. I would have liked if HBO expanded the feature on the Oklahoma Drills.
[/quote]

In reference to Oklahoma's, I much prefer board drills. A board between the legs, and then just a gladiator match up from the whistle to put the other guy on his back. A board between the legs keeps you low, with a wide base. If you skinny your base up, you'll stand on the board and slip.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' date='13 August 2009 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1250170486' post='790402']
This isn't much different than military gates though. They check the driver, and they vouch for the others in the car.
[/quote]

Facial recongnition is/was valid at one time or another. Not so sure about the post 9/11 environment.

[quote name='bengalbutch' date='13 August 2009 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1250171330' post='790411']
Interesting to read what rivals think.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=4601067
[/quote]

'meh, pretty much what I expected. Browns and Stealers fans are going to hate on the shows regardless of the content.

[quote name='bengalbutch' date='13 August 2009 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1250170662' post='790405']
I don't think that was it at all. I took it as Rey walking past her, says hello, she says hello back and after she passes . He looks back like " Damn she was hot "
[/quote]

thats what happened.. kirkendall is a stupid jackass...

[quote name='bengalbutch' date='13 August 2009 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1250171330' post='790411']

[/quote]
Wow that is hilariously sad. It's no wonder the Brown's fans are portrayed as the most delusional and homeristic fans.

"Mangini would have cut their ass right away" when talking about players showing up late for practice. Yeah I could see him cutting Joe Thomas because he was late. Mangini is one of the most hated coaches by the players in the league so I guess it's possible.

Also, the Bengals are dysfunctional? Really? How many head coaches and GMs have they had in the 10 years they've back? Who's their quarterback again?

Loved the show!

Chris Crocker's attitude is great,even better if he carries it onto the field with him.

Chad wasn't annoying in the least, in my opinion he seemed to have a great view on things, looked more like the Chad of old days.

I don't get the feeling that Mike was trying be a dictator, seemed like he was just throwing an idea out there (people around here are critical of the guy, though that is somewhat warranted)

The Reggie Kelly segment was sad (to say the least) it always sucks when you lose a guy that loves the game as much as Reggie, you can tell that football is his life, if only every player had that same outlook.

Runnels being cut was sad as well, but that is part of the business, players get cut in the NFL. I really don't feel that Lipencott was rude in his way of going about it, very kind of him to tell the cameras to back down.

Overall, I see a team that seems happier, and more ready. If you were'nt excited for the season to start after watching this show, then you need to check your pulse.

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' date='13 August 2009 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1250172547' post='790420']

Runnels being cut was sad as well, but that is part of the business, players get cut in the NFL. I really don't feel that Lipencott was rude in his way of going about it, very kind of him to tell the cameras to back down.

[/quote]

Lipencott felt very uncomfortable on camera. I'd bet he'd like to do that scene differently. He seemed nervous and did it in a manner that he wasn't intending to (I'm like that, when you're nervous the words never come out right). Still don't get why they didn't have Marvin do it if that's how they've done it in the past.

[/quote]

They really seem to harp on the TV rentals. It takes the edge off all of the criticism there that they seem to think it's the Bengals renting that stuff out and not Georgetown College.

From Lance McAlister's blog . . .

[b]HBO Hard Knocks
[/b]What did you think? I thought it was tremendous. Very well done. Even better than I thought it would be.
I wanted the second episode to start. Can't wait til next week.

[b]Stuff I wrote down[/b]
*Loved the camera work, the natural sound used and the music used

*Opening: Bengals at PBS during OTA's...team bonding....Black Team vs Grey Team going through various competitions including weight lifting, 3pt basketball shooting, punt catching, QB toss, sled push relay, tug of war.

*Team party hosted by Marvin at his house. Marvin playing cornhole. Mike Brown with a beer in his hand.

*Andrew Whitworth and his wife prepare for him to go to camp. She's getting his stuff ready and gets a whiff of his shoes....."now that's love," she says.

*Free agent FB Chris Pressley featured with a look at his tough childhood. Neat shot of him walking and talking with his son in the stadium at Georgetown.

*Reporting day to Georgetown: Carson pulls up in his car and is asked for ID before he's allowed in ....he's followed by Chad who wonders, 'is this Fort Knox?"

*Players checking in to their rooms are told they can rent various size TV's for different prices.

*Mike Brown speaks to entire team..."last season was an embarrassment...we exposed ourselves to the media who mocked us.....this year we will answer back....and it will be loud and clear"

*Three players are late to practice. Marvin, "Don't be late....your hurting the group.....no bullsh--ing around.......you guys aren't getting it....the next stage you guys are gone"

*Oklahom Drill: Great footage and reaction

*Roy Williams gets taken down by Maurice Purify....."It's not football if you 'aint bleedin'," says Roy.

*Tank Johnson explains to a fourth grader that players are fighting because they're mad about going 4-11.
"I wasn't even here, and I'm made about it,"

*TE meetings. Coach Johnathan Hayes was all over rooke Chase Coffman: "Stop running running straight up and down like a hard on". Chase had to do pushups in the room in front of the other tight ends for each mistake seen on tape. "Do you have any moves?", asked Hayes. "Chase, you've gotta man up". They did a good job of bookending this with Brat's comments later in the show about how far Coffman has come.

*Reggie Kelly's injury: Great setup on his importance to the team..."He's the heart of the team", said Jordan Palmer. "These (the other TE's) are my little brothers," said Kelly. Then Kelly is injured. He's shown on the trainers table, still in pads. Trainer Paul Sparling explains he will need surgery and miss the season. Tremendous scene. Sparling consoles him...and as the news sinks in Reggie has tears in his eyes. In a team meeting Mike Brown encourages players and coaches to call Reggie and wish him well. Later Hayes holds up the phone during the TE meeting and all the TE's yell, "Reg!"

*Jeremi Johnson's battle with weight featured. Showed up to camp at 276....should have been 260-265.

*Ben Utecht's injury: Scary. Down and out....not moving. Camera pans to Carson...."Who is that...Utecht?.......is his wife here?". Chad and Whit knell to pray. Later Marvin calls the team together on the field to give them the report from the hospital.

*Morning call: 6:45 a coach (was it Marvin?) walks outside to the middle of the dorms and waits til exactly 6:45AM and then sounds the air horn. Time to get up

*Negotiations with Andre Smith: Katie Blackburn, "it's extremely frustrating....you want to give someone all this money...and they want more". Smith is shown working out in Alabama. He's interviewed.
Paul Alexander jokes in OL meeting. He's given the players a quiz. "Question 18........in what situation do you not want to run the 40-yard dash with your shirt of?.............answer.....if you are Andre Smith". Players laugh.

*Bengals make one call to find an OL to take Smith's roster spot. They sign undrafted free agent Gus Parrish. He gets Smith's roster spot and bed. Maualuga and others make fun of him....saying he looks like Randy Jackson of American Idol.

*Chad was really featured til 10:37....and then it was about a four minute piece. Carson is talking to him during practice...."We can't take plays off". Later Chad explains his favorite phrase...."child, please". He says it's a nice way of saying "F--- you".

*Jim Lippincot, Bengals Director of Football Operations (speaking about an unidentified player)......"This kid here does not have NFL qualities"

*Carson joking with a WR....."You drop one ball and I'll kick you square in the balls"

*Chad and Chris Crocker jaw back and forth during the scrimmage. Crocker says, "Look Sugar, or what ever you are calling yourself....if you want some....get some". Chad responds with, "Child, please." Crocker then goes out and picks off a pass and gets the best of Chad. Crocker laughs on the sidelines. Chad says, "I'm pissed off to the highest level of pisstivity".

*Mike Zimmer on his defense during the scrimmage: "You guys are too damn soft...your going to get run out of the god damn stadium".

*Scary scene: Mike Brown running the staff meeting going over the roster. He asked coaches if DE Chris Harrington can be moved to TE to help. Hayes says it would be tough (Did Hayes roll his eyes or was he simply stunned?). Mike lays out the plan to carry two FB's and 3 TE's.

*Your'e Fired: Day 11....5:30 AM. The camera follows Lippincott as he walks to the room of FB JD Runnels. Jim knocks on the door. JD opens. Immediately Lippincott says, "we've put you on waivers". "Why?", asked Runnels. "It's a numbers thing....numbers and ability....that's the only reason we cut people", says Lippincott. Runnels is emotional. Lippincot asked the camera crew to give them some space. Lippincott tells him that he will need JD's playbooks and discusses his flight out of town. Lip walks out....and stops to leave Runnel's playbook outside Marvin's room. Marvin couldn't tell the kid?

*Nothing about the banners from Who Dey Revolution.

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

Archived