Dave Lapham

What do you think of Lapham?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Dave Lapham as a commentator?

• The Worst.... George Grand could do a better job.
    • Lapham is kind of a jackass
    • Average Commentator, okay to listen to...
    • Good color man. He sees the plays well..
    • Lapham is the man! He tells it like it is and I love listening to him.

Dave is a good to great color man on the radio. When sticks to what's happening on the field, he can give insight etc.

Dave's ego has gotten to him when he tries to be a Bengal insider. My opinion is he used to have good insight when all his ex teamates were in the coaching staff (Anderson, Lebeau, Coslet, Krumrie etc.) I think that built is ego as the Bengal Nuxy however is information source seems to have been cut off and instead of being lovable he's kinda a hot air bag and what used to be info has been replaced with what plays good with the sports talk hosts (rumors, baseless comments) seems he wants to have that same sizzle he used to get.

Just my thoughts.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='21 August 2009 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1250856285' post='793748']
I used to watch the game on TV and turn the sound off and listen to the radio just to hear Lapham.
[/quote]

i still do. munoz is mike brown's pup and his broadcasts are all fluff. i loved him as a player...can't stand him as a color guy. lapham is more inclined to tell it like it is, tho even he bites his tongue as he knows where his bread is buttered.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='21 August 2009 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1250856285' post='793748']
Always loved Lapham!! I used to watch the game on TV and turn the sound off and listen to the radio just to hear Lapham.
[/quote]
That gets whacky because there is a delay of several seconds and the play is often over before you hear it. Or see it. Whatever.

What I do and have for years, is listen at the stadium with my super ear buds to try to drown out the noise around me.
One oddity I have noticed is that sometimes the delay is on for the AM station, but not the FM so the play and commentary are in
"real time".

Laph's insights and observations add a whole new dimension to the game and he points out stuff going on that you would
normally miss if you were there like someone going to the locker room with an injury or a coach ripping someone a new one
on the sideline. Not Marvmallow, of course. I said a coach.
His enthusiasm is great and catching.
Also love it when he drops stuff about old and former players, puts names to rumors, etc. like who the two Bengals were
that got into a fight in the locker room before the first Super Bowl waiting to get their ankles taped.
Or how the real leader of the great Bengal O-line was not Munoz, who rather kept to himself, but Max Montoya.
Stuff like that.

To talk out of the other side of my mouth, one thing never to forget about him is who signs his paycheck.
He will only go so far with the criticism and pull up short.

Still like the guy.

[quote name='scharm' date='21 August 2009 - 07:21 AM' timestamp='1250853660' post='793739']
Dave is a good to great color man on the radio. When sticks to what's happening on the field, he can give insight etc.

[size="4"][color="#ff0000"][b]Dave's ego has gotten to him when he tries to be a Bengal insider. My opinion is he used to have good insight when all his ex teamates were in the coaching staff (Anderson, Lebeau, Coslet, Krumrie etc.) I think that built is ego as the Bengal Nuxy however is information source seems to have been cut off and instead of being lovable he's kinda a hot air bag and what used to be info has been replaced with what plays good with the sports talk hosts (rumors, baseless comments) seems he wants to have that same sizzle he used to get.[/b][/color][/size]

Just my thoughts.
[/quote]

Ding motherfucking Ding..

i never knew he existed until a few years back.. thus i have no fond memory of his NOT being an empty windbag trying to be a good ol boy.... and its painful to hear and frustrating to tolerate.

you cant tell from post game interviews, aside from the PR friendly palyers who say please and thank you to everyone, that lap isnt known ot liked by many players, and most seem to dislike interacting with him in general.. he talks to every palyer like they play golf on thursdays together and gets responses like he pissed on their shoes...

he seems to play to the popular audience belief rather than pose any actual football knownledge in any situation.. which is what i expect from someone like him.. if someone says something idiotic, he says "hey yea we all feel the pain" instead of "that doesnt make sense, this and this need to happen, its not that palyer duty, etc"

i think hall appeared to have been roasted a few times maybe against dallas or someone.. and people were basically calling him garbage... and instead of explaining that both the LB's and Safeties left that man hanging non stop.. he just went with it and basically said hall played poorly and something needed to change..

it hurts my brain to be so fake in all aspects of ones life.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='22 August 2009 - 01:17 AM' timestamp='1250914657' post='794076']
Ding motherfucking Ding..

i never knew he existed until a few years back.. thus i have no fond memory of his NOT being an empty windbag trying to be a good ol boy.... and its painful to hear and frustrating to tolerate.

you cant tell from post game interviews, aside from the PR friendly palyers who say please and thank you to everyone, that lap isnt known ot liked by many players, and most seem to dislike interacting with him in general.. he talks to every palyer like they play golf on thursdays together and gets responses like he pissed on their shoes...

he seems to play to the popular audience belief rather than pose any actual football knownledge in any situation.. which is what i expect from someone like him.. if someone says something idiotic, he says "hey yea we all feel the pain" instead of "that doesnt make sense, this and this need to happen, its not that palyer duty, etc"

i think hall appeared to have been roasted a few times maybe against dallas or someone.. and people were basically calling him garbage... and instead of explaining that both the LB's and Safeties left that man hanging non stop.. he just went with it and basically said hall played poorly and something needed to change..

it hurts my brain to be so fake in all aspects of ones life.
[/quote]

I don't have any knowledge of the inner workings, but I have to agree with this. Lap has been more likely (because he had people giving info) to refute bad notions from fans or sports talk radio when Coslet etc were coaching. Now it seems like he goes with it.

I will say he does give good insight on guys that come from the Big 12. He does their college games and has good sources of info on guys coming from that conference. I believe I remember him being among the first to applaud the drafting of Andre Collins. If you remember at the time that was kinda a questionable pick now he's starting until Andre the Giant comes in.

Archived