Week 1 vs. Denver

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='31 August 2009 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1251736161' post='796604']
Denver, along with CLE are my early favorites for the 2010 #1 pick. They suck big time. I know Carson is missing time and the OL still has some big ??s[b] but if we don't beat DEN by 10-14 points then this is another 4 win team.[/b]
[/quote]

I don't know that I go THAT far, but yes this team should be able to pound the ball on offense against a weak D and control the Denver Offense.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='31 August 2009 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1251737682' post='796615']
I don't know that I go THAT far, but yes this team should be able to pound the ball on offense against a weak D and control the Denver Offense.
[/quote]
Oh i went that far!

That team is a mess, trying to run an extremely complicated offensive system with a CFL QB. Their best player is suspended and doesn't want to play for them, their #1 pick might miss our game, the OL just lost their second best player, and their DEF is as bad as ours 06-07. I think at full strength and no problems they are 4 win team.

Obviously i'm being very optomistic, but with how our first team D has played I see their offense going 3 and out early and often and we embarrass the shit out of em.

We should beat the Broncos week 1 but they aren't in the running for the top pick. I think the defense holds them to 17 or less and our offense scores 24 or 27 with us running the ball down their throat in the 4th quarter. I'll guess Denver is a 5 or 6 win team on the season, remember they get to play the Raiders and Chiefs too.

Bottom line, Denver sucks. To add to their misery, Orton sliced his index finger open on his throwing hand last night against the Bears. Not sure how long that will take to heal, but still doesn't help. The Broncos are in disarray and we should be able to crush them. Already got my money down.

[quote name='sparky151' date='31 August 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1251742899' post='796640']
We should beat the Broncos week 1 but they aren't in the running for the top pick. I think the defense holds them to 17 or less and our offense scores 24 or 27 with us running the ball down their throat in the 4th quarter. I'll guess Denver is a 5 or 6 win team on the season, remember they get to play the Raiders and Chiefs too.
[/quote]
I actually forgot that they get 4 games against the Raiders and Chiefs and 1 against the Browns...so there is the potential to grap a couple more wins than i want to give them credit for. I have no doubt they are pickin in the top 5 next season though.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='31 August 2009 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1251749444' post='796672']
I actually forgot that they get 4 games against the Raiders and Chiefs and 1 against the Browns...so there is the potential to grap a couple more wins than i want to give them credit for. I have no doubt they are pickin in the top 5 next season though.
[/quote]

The one thing that Denver does have going for them that most terrible teams don't is a very solid and experienced OL. Ryan Clady at LT looked great last year. I think they are going to be able to run the ball pretty well with either Moreno or Hillis. I see them as bad, but more like 6 win bad, not worst in the league bad. Oakland looks absolutely terrible and I think Denver has more going for them than KC as well.

[quote name='CO Bengal' date='31 August 2009 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1251745163' post='796648']
Bottom line, Denver sucks. To add to their misery, Orton sliced his index finger open on his throwing hand last night against the Bears. Not sure how long that will take to heal, but still doesn't help. The Broncos are in disarray and we should be able to crush them. Already got my money down.
[/quote]

I'm expecting a 2005 style shellacking like we laid on the Vikings.

If it's not like that or we lose, that's a sign of some serious problems...

[quote name='happyrid' date='31 August 2009 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1251752647' post='796690']
The one thing that Denver does have going for them that most terrible teams don't is a very solid and experienced OL. Ryan Clady at LT looked great last year. I think they are going to be able to run the ball pretty well with either Moreno or Hillis. I see them as bad, but more like 6 win bad, not worst in the league bad. Oakland looks absolutely terrible and I think Denver has more going for them than KC as well.
[/quote]
And that's why there's no overlooking those guys. The Bengals have made copious amounts of hay letting an inexperienced, unproven, rookie or journeyman QB look like Unitas behind a good offensive line.

Still, if we can generate the kind of pressure that's been lacking on our defense for so long, and we protect our own QB. we should win pretty handily.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='31 August 2009 - 01:29 PM' timestamp='1251736161' post='796604']
Denver, along with CLE are my early favorites for the 2010 #1 pick. They suck big time. I know Carson is missing time and the OL still has some big ??s but if we don't beat DEN by 10-14 points then this is another 4 win team.
[/quote]

The worst thing is that Denver's pick goes to Seattle next year. Sucks to be a Bronco fan right now.

[quote name='starkesn' date='31 August 2009 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1251754057' post='796701']
The worst thing is that Denver's pick goes to Seattle next year. Sucks to be a Bronco fan right now.
[/quote]
What a terrible trade that was. Next year's draft looks loaded too.

It's just to hard to say any game is a given for the Bengals.

You would think the favor is tilted towards the Bengals given the circumstances around Denver.

I do worry about Denvers OLB Elvis Dumervil. Seems like the kind of guy that could give Whit some trouble.

[quote name='Quaker' date='31 August 2009 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1251762868' post='796716']
It's just to hard to say any game is a given for the Bengals.

You would think the favor is tilted towards the Bengals given the circumstances around Denver.

I do worry about Denvers OLB Elvis Dumervil. Seems like the kind of guy that could give Whit some trouble.
[/quote]

True dat.

I seem to remember a game against this team...where they should have dominated, but lost to a record-setting RB and a QB who completed 2 passes for 14 yards.

Never, ever, count any NFL team as a gimmie.

if we come out aggressive on defense and kill their drives early, and can get some points on the board in the first qtr.. we should be able to hold on... we need deep big back breaking plays early to open up the run game.. and keep pressure off carson.. i love the first play of the game BOMB for a TD.. 2005 was great..

i think we should be able to protect carson enough to get the pass game going..

the line is better than last year no matter how you slice it, or what personnel you throw in..health allowing..

[quote name='whodey1971' date='31 August 2009 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1251737087' post='796607']
How would you like to be a fan of the Chargers right now?

Oakland is Oakland...
Denver is going the wrong direction...
KC put all of their eggs in the basket of an unproven back-up (Cassell) who is now injured, and then they fire their OC less than 2 weeks before the season starts

Seriously...is there another team that looks to have an easier road to their division title than the Chargers do right now?
[/quote]

Just wait. The Raiders will win that division this year and shock everyone.

[b][size="5"]Orton may have to sit out the Sept. 13 opener at Cincinnati because of his injured finger.
[/size][/b][email="mklis@denverpost.com?subject=The"][b]By Mike Klis [/b]
[i]The Denver Post[/i][/email]Posted: 09/01/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos have a serious quarterback problem that has nothing to do with the performances of Kyle Orton and Chris Simms. The health of Orton and Simms, however, is another matter.

Orton suffered a serious injury to the index finger of his right (throwing) hand Sunday during the Broncos' preseason game against Chicago and is in danger of missing the season opener Sept. 13 at Cincinnati. Simms has been out since suffering a severe left ankle sprain Aug. 22 at Seattle.

Two NFL sources said the finger was not fractured but that Orton suffered an open dislocation (penetration of skin) of the right knuckle. That would explain the blood dripping from Orton's finger and the excruciating pain the quarterback endured as the dislocated finger was popped back into place by Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos.

Orton injured his finger when his right hand collided with the left hand of Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye on the follow-through of a pass during the second quarter.

"I think maybe it was one of those things where his hand got caught bad as he was throwing it when I hit him," Ogunleye said after the game. "I hope he is OK. I pray he is OK."

A dislocation is not as serious as a fracture for a football player, so while Orton will not play Thursday during the Broncos' final preseason game against Arizona, he still may be able to suit up for the regular-season opener. Orton's biggest problem might be the stitches he needed to close the wound.

"I will be ready to go," Orton said after the game Sunday while trying to hide his heavily bandaged, but not casted, right finger. "I am going to work as hard as I can. I don't know how long I'll be out, but mentally I will be ready to go and I think physically I will be too."

Simms also isn't expected to play Thursday against Arizona, but there's a strong chance he will return next week.

With Orton and Simms down, the Broncos' QB options against Arizona would be rookie Tom Brandstater and journeyman Ingle Martin. Brandstater went from passing for 1 yard while taking four sacks during the fourth quarter of his preseason debut against Seattle to throwing for 110 yards and taking no sacks in the second half against Chicago.

"Life goes on sometimes in this league and you play with who you have," coach Josh McDaniels said. "Tom Brandstater has done a nice job of learning our offense. He knows what to do. If needed, he will go in there and play."

[i]Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com[/i]

[url="http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13242787"]http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13242787[/url]

[quote]Orton expected to be ready for opener
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 31, 2009 10:03 PM ET
It's unclear what exactly happened to Kyle Orton's finger Sunday night, but the injury isn't expected to keep him out of Denver's season opener, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Cameras showed Orton's finger bleeding and teammates could hear Orton scream in pain as it appeared his finger was yanked into place.

If Orton misses Thursday's preseason game, the Broncos will start rookie Tom Brandstater, since backup quarterback Chris Simms is out with an ankle injury.

That means Orton should play next on September 13 to face off against another gimpy quarterback: Carson Palmer. We'll have to wait and see if Brandon Marshall is also on the plane to Cincinnati. [/quote]

PFT

PFT can't make up their mind.

[quote]
[b]"Open dislocation" for Kyle Orton[/b]
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2009 10:29 AM ET
On the surface, the outcome made no sense. Barring some of the equipment manipulation advocated in the original version of The Longest Yard, how could Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye slash the finger of Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton with a gloved hand?

As it turns out, Ogunleye didn't have a razor blade in his glove. (And that's definitely a comforting thought.) Instead, Orton had a bone in his finger that was sufficiently dislocated that it sliced through the flesh, from the inside.

Per the Denver Post, it's an "open dislocation." Thus, the damage is akin to a bone-deep cut that will require extensive stitching to heal.

[b]So Orton's status for Week One is in doubt[/b], and this means that the roster of opening-day rookie starting quarterbacks could include not only Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford, but also a sixth-round pick from Fresno State named Tom Brandstater.
[/quote]

The pass protection has looked fantastic from what i've seen...compared to last year. There is still a ways to go and i'm bankin on CP to get the calls right on those big miscues we've seen with someone running free. But on every play (that didn't have a blitz without adjustment) the QB has had enough time for his 1st read and thats far better than last year. The center of the pocket looks much more stout as well.

I think that the D will stifle these guys and even if the running game doesn't get going early our O will be able to move the ball consistently (far better than last year) and wear them down. We will be picking up 6 yards a carry by the 4th qtr.

[size="5"][b]Who starts Week 1 vs. Bengals?[/b]
[/size]The Associated Press • September 1, 2009

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said he remained hopeful that his top two quarterbacks will be able to return to practice next week and be available for the Broncos' Sept. 13 opener at Cincinnati.

But he also left open the possibility that one or both could miss the first regular season game.

Starter Kyle Orton gashed and apparently dislocated his right index finger when he struck a defender's helmet with his passing hand during a follow-through during Denver's 27-17 loss to Chicago on Sunday.

The Broncos were already without Chris Simms, who suffered a left high ankle sprain during an exhibition game the week before at Seattle.

"We're hopeful we'll have all our players ready to go on opening day, but again the timetable for that, I would be totally guessing and probably wrong if I started guessing about that stuff right now," McDaniels said.

That leaves rookie Tom Brandstater, who will start the team's preseason finale Thursday night against Arizona.

Brandstater, a sixth-round pick out of Fresno State, played more than a half against Chicago, leading the Broncos to two touchdowns after coming on for the injured Orton.

Neither Brandstater nor fourth-stringer Ingle Martin has had a meaningful snap during the regular season.

McDaniels said Brandstater had a strong practice Tuesday — the team's only major workout prior to the preseason finale — and his grasp of the offense has improved significantly.

"He's a mature kid and he's really picked up on some of the things that sometimes take quarterbacks longer to do, run the huddle, get the formations lined up and that kind of stuff," McDaniels said. "He's getting better every day and that's what we like to see out of our young guys."

Rookie running back Knowshon Moreno took some practice repetitions on Tuesday for the first time since spraining his knee in the Aug. 14 preseason opener at San Francisco, but McDaniels said he's unsure whether he'll play Thursday.

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090901/SPT02/309010060/1066/Who+starts+Week+1+vs.+Bengals"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090901/SPT02/309010060/1066/Who+starts+Week+1+vs.+Bengals[/url]?

Archived