The Official Ohio State Football Thread

Jason

If any Buckeye fans are planning to make the short trip to Bloomington in October, let's hear about it. The last time the Bucks played here was also IU's last home sellout - which was 3 or 4 years ago. Memorial Stadium was awash with red - a few Crimson and Cream home fans, but literally tens of thousands of Scarlet and Gray guests from Ohio. The resounding cheers of "O-H!" "I-O!" reverberated round, and round, and round our humble little stadium, and it felt like Bloomington had become a suburb of Columbus for a day.

This year, we've expanded our stadium so we can fit more of you guys in here! :)

The Navy base I work at has been taking ticket orders - $55 a pop for seats that include a 2-hour pregame Subway and Hot Dog party - BYOB (it's the Navy). Not a bad deal.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' date='02 September 2009 - 10:18 PM' timestamp='1251951520' post='797492']
If they can't beat USC this year, at home, they might as well never try again.
[/quote]

Pretty much.

Unless they can get Cooper to recruit for them again...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='03 September 2009 - 12:43 AM' timestamp='1251953038' post='797496']
Pretty much.

Unless they can get Cooper to recruit for them again...
[/quote]

Cooper never had two top 5 classes in a row.

OSU need a new O-line coach.

[quote name='Jason' date='03 September 2009 - 05:36 AM' timestamp='1251977792' post='797528']
Cooper never had two top 5 classes in a row.

OSU need a new O-line coach.
[/quote]

Tressel won that championship with Cooper's players.

Until he wins one with his own I'll still consider Cooper the better recruiter.

Not coach mind you, just recruiter...

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='02 September 2009 - 09:38 PM' timestamp='1251945506' post='797419']
If any Buckeye fans are planning to make the short trip to Bloomington in October, let's hear about it. The last time the Bucks played here was also IU's last home sellout - which was 3 or 4 years ago. Memorial Stadium was awash with red - a few Crimson and Cream home fans, but literally tens of thousands of Scarlet and Gray guests from Ohio. The resounding cheers of "O-H!" "I-O!" reverberated round, and round, and round our humble little stadium, and it felt like Bloomington had become a suburb of Columbus for a day.

This year, we've expanded our stadium so we can fit more of you guys in here! :)

The Navy base I work at has been taking ticket orders - $55 a pop for seats that include a 2-hour pregame Subway and Hot Dog party - BYOB (it's the Navy). Not a bad deal.
[/quote]

I'm going. Flying into IND on Thursday. I've always been an OSU fan, not die hard or anything, but my brother plays football at IU so I'll be rooting for IU this time around.

[quote name='Elflocko' date='03 September 2009 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1251985008' post='797557']
Tressel won that championship with Cooper's players.

Until he wins one with his own I'll still consider Cooper the better recruiter.

Not coach mind you, just recruiter...
[/quote]

Unless Im mistaken, Maurice Clarrett was recruited by Jim Tressel. Without him they probably dont make/win the national championship.

Also Tressel recruited enough good players to make 2 more national championship games.

Not saying Cooper wasnt a good recruiter, but better? Its debatable.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='04 September 2009 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1252090738' post='798239']
Unless Im mistaken, Maurice Clarrett was recruited by Jim Tressel. Without him they probably dont make/win the national championship.

Also Tressel recruited enough good players to make 2 more national championship games.

Not saying Cooper wasnt a good recruiter, but better? Its debatable.
[/quote]

Cooper's flaw was being unable to beat Michigan (or any team [b]from[/b] Michigan for that matter) when the chips were down.

He might have played in\possibly won 5 NC's had he been able to do that.

Oh well, I still love Tressel and the NC he did bring. Just food for thought...

[quote name='oldschooler' date='05 September 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1252187145' post='798695']
Wow, today's game was way too close for comfort.

They better play a lot better than that next week or
unfortunately it will look a lot like last year's game.
[/quote]

too close, but never in doubt. Navy's no slouch and the triple option is very tough to defend.

I expected the defense to struggle, but not the offensive line (as much as they did). The defense is young and inexperienced, and again the triple option is tough to defend. Announcers mentioned they were playing a completely different defense than their base D. Next week should be easier for them (scheme wise), but the talent level will obviously pick up.

[quote name='Elflocko' date='04 September 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1252090915' post='798242']
Cooper's flaw was being unable to beat Michigan (or any team [b]from[/b] Michigan for that matter) when the chips were down.

He might have played in\possibly won 5 NC's had he been able to do that.

Oh well, I still love Tressel and the NC he did bring. Just food for thought...
[/quote]
Nothing truer has ever been said. Ya know Flock, if the boys don't choke away that 23-7 lead late in the game against Mich. St. in 98', the Rose Bowl against ASU would have been for the National Championship. As they would have been ranked OSU#1, ASU#2 going into the game. Cooper's teams were definitely Championship caliber but, sadly, weren't deal closers.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='05 September 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1252187145' post='798695']
Wow, today's game was way too close for comfort.

They better play a lot better than that next week or
unfortunately it will look a lot like last year's game.
[/quote]
Man, that got real ugly late, didn't it. I hope they clean it up in a hurry and come out with a determination that was lacking today. BTW, Oklahoma just tanked to BYU, so at least we were on the winning side of this one.

[quote name='Ogremeister' date='05 September 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1252203425' post='798776']
Nothing truer has ever been said. Ya know Flock, if the boys don't choke away that 23-7 lead late in the game against Mich. St. in 98', the Rose Bowl against ASU would have been for the National Championship. As they would have been ranked OSU#1, ASU#2 going into the game. Cooper's teams were definitely Championship caliber but, sadly, weren't deal closers.
[/quote]

The ASU Rose Bowl Game was in 1999.

You're thinking 1998 when they tanked to Michigan State, Pounded Michigan for once, then treated Texas A&M like a cheap crack whore in the "Who gives a shit?" Bowl.

Probably the best Cooper team ever... :glare:

[quote name='Ogremeister' date='05 September 2009 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1252203425' post='798776']
[/quote]

[quote name='Elflocko' date='05 September 2009 - 10:55 PM' timestamp='1252205719' post='798782']
You're thinking of 1999.

1998 is when they tanked to Michigan State, Pounded Michigan for once, then treated Texas A&M like a cheap crack whore in the "Who gives a shit?" Bowl.

Probably the best Cooper team ever... :glare:
[/quote]

Actually the ASU Rose Bowl was 1997, after the 1996 season. 1998 they lost to MSU and then beat aTm in the Sugar Bowl.

[quote name='Jason' date='05 September 2009 - 09:03 PM' timestamp='1252206197' post='798783']
Actually the ASU Rose Bowl was 1997, after the 1996 season. 1998 they lost to MSU and then beat aTm in the Sugar Bowl.
[/quote]

Could have just said Rose Bowl was '97 as everything else was correct...

[quote name='Jason' date='06 September 2009 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1252206197' post='798783']
[/quote]
:doh: Yeah...you're right. That's what I get for relying on memory before checking wiki.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1252187350' post='798696']
[b]too close, but never in doubt[/b]. Navy's no slouch and the triple option is very tough to defend.

I expected the defense to struggle, but not the offensive line (as much as they did). The defense is young and inexperienced, and again the triple option is tough to defend. Announcers mentioned they were playing a completely different defense than their base D. Next week should be easier for them (scheme wise), but the talent level will obviously pick up.
[/quote]

Navy was a 2 point attempt away from a tie game with 2 minutes and some change in the 4th...

And it was "never in doubt"... damn, you're starting to sound like a Phil Fulmer fan!!!

I'll agree the triple option is difficult to defend... but it is still a service academy... Tennessee pulled the same shit a couple years ago with Air Force. Was ugly then too.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='08 September 2009 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1252420845' post='799440']
Navy was a 2 point attempt away from a tie game with 2 minutes and some change in the 4th...

And it was "never in doubt"... damn, you're starting to sound like a Phil Fulmer fan!!!

I'll agree the triple option is difficult to defend... but it is still a service academy... Tennessee pulled the same shit a couple years ago with Air Force. Was ugly then too.
[/quote]

'eh, its what you come to expect from Tressel. They never trailed, and as soon as Navy scored to make it 23-14 they went down the field at will to make it 29-14. As usual, Tressel was playing conservative on offense. I hate that he won't play with a killer instinct, and you knew he wasn't going to do it against Navy. He had been pushing the sportsmanship angle all week, asking the fans to cheer for Navy pre-game and the teams running out onto the field together.

If Navy had tied it, I'm more than confident that with 2+ minutes (and I think all of their timeouts) that the OSU would have gone down and scored. Too much talent at the skill positions.

8 years though and Tressel still hasn't given in to killer instinct. Hopefully he realizes that the BCS is built on having "impressive wins". Tressel just cares about the W, not how you get it. That works as long as you go undefeated, but when you're 9-1 you need those impressive wins. With so much talent on offense, I wish he'd just abandon Tressel Ball (more than he has,he's gotten better). He did it Troy Smith's senior year, but not really since.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='08 September 2009 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1252422322' post='799450']
'eh, its what you come to expect from Tressel. They never trailed, and as soon as Navy scored to make it 23-14 they went down the field at will to make it 29-14. As usual, Tressel was playing conservative on offense. I hate that he won't play with a killer instinct, and you knew he wasn't going to do it against Navy. He had been pushing the sportsmanship angle all week, asking the fans to cheer for Navy pre-game and the teams running out onto the field together.

If Navy had tied it, I'm more than confident that with 2+ minutes (and I think all of their timeouts) that the OSU would have gone down and scored. Too much talent at the skill positions.

8 years though and Tressel still hasn't given in to killer instinct. Hopefully he realizes that the BCS is built on having "impressive wins". Tressel just cares about the W, not how you get it. That works as long as you go undefeated, but when you're 9-1 you need those impressive wins. With so much talent on offense, I wish he'd just abandon Tressel Ball (more than he has,he's gotten better). He did it Troy Smith's senior year, but not really since.
[/quote]

He's like Fulmer that way... let inferior teams hang around and it comes back to bite you in the ass. Phil is out of a job because of it.

The keys to the game will be the USC Oline and Pryor. Those are the xfactors for both teams.

Defenses are about even, Taylor Mays may tip the scale.

OSU has the big edge at QB (lesser if Barkley weren't a freshman making his first road start in a hostile environment).

USC is obviously deeper at RB.

If OSU can contain the run and Pryor makes plays, this will be a very tight game.

Archived