Roster pickups

Want a punt returner?

Dexter Jackson (no not that one)

[quote]
Bucs Bail on Dexter Jackson
Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2009 9:46 AM ET
Some league observers think that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won't be cutting quarterback Josh Johnson because they don't want to bail on a fifth-round draft pick from a season ago.

That likely won't be a consideration, given that the Bucs have announced the release of 2008 second-round selection Dexter Jackson.

The undersized speedster (he ran a sub-4.3 at the Scouting Combine) from Appalachian State, who had a key role in the Mountaineers' miraculous 2007 upset of Michigan, had more fumbles (one) than catches (none) as a rookie, and he had zero receptions during the 2008 preseason, thanks to an ankle injury.

Per Pewter Report, Jackson was stripped of his return duties after only seven games last year.

The move comes despite the fact, as Pewter Report points out, that Jackson is due to receive a guaranteed base salary of $450,000 this year.

Jackson will be subject to waivers. If someone claims him, the new team will pick up his contract. If Jackson isn't claimed, he'll be a free agent -- and the Bucs will receive a credit for any base salary he gets from his new team.

UPDATE: A league source tells us that the guarantee actually comes in 2011, and that the money is due in the next 30 days. Per the source, there's no offset language applicable to any money Jackson earns in 2011 from another team. (Basically, the guarantee was aimed at backing up the one-time playing-time incentive.) So the Bucs will avoid the guarantee only if another team claims Jackson's contract on waivers.
[/quote]

many of you wanted him instead of Jerome Simpson.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjBlLyiOFJ0&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3X3g4AOws[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2STu_8l6Lk&feature=related[/media]

[quote name='mjm47' date='31 August 2009 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1251739154' post='796623']
The Browns released Rod Hood - that may mean that he's washed up, but our nickel back situation is not very comforting at the moment.
[/quote]

Hood was never a great player but he's a vet which is better than we have now at backup CB. He might have already collected a signing bonus from the Browns too. They overpaid him a couple months ago so he might be in Mike Brown's price range now.

[quote name='mjm47' date='31 August 2009 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1251739154' post='796623']
The Browns released Rod Hood
[/quote]

Chad wants us to sign him so that Rod can be the spokesman for Ocho's new line of condoms.

"Which rod hood does Rod Hood prefer?"

[quote name='fredtoast' date='31 August 2009 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1251742110' post='796636']
Chad wants us to sign him so that Rod can be the spokesman for Ocho's new line of condoms.

"Which rod hood does Rod Hood prefer?"
[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/24.gif[/img]

The Browns released Rod Hood - that may mean that he's washed up, but our nickel back situation is not very comforting at the moment.
[/quote]

well we did go after him a few months ago, so I bet we try again.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='01 September 2009 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1251776488' post='796788']
Let's hope they show interest again. He's only 27 and has starting experience, which is an improvement over our current backup CB's.
[/quote]
Bears signed him I heard

Wow, I wish the Bengals would have made this trade . . .

[url="http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer"][b][color="#0a0501"]Jay_Glazer[/color][/b][/url]i'm reporting the falcons have just traded 7th rd pick for Rams' former 1st rd CB Tye Hill. ATL looking to upgrade wherever they can on def
[url="http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/3690977247"]5 minutes ago[/url] from [url="http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75"]txt[/url]

I can't believe the Rams gave up on him so quickly
and a 7th rounder is all they got/wanted.

here's a realistic one (per pft):

[quote]
Getting the bad news in Denver Tuesday was center Blake Schlueter, punter Britton Colquitt, wide receiver C.J. Jones, and [b]tight end Jeb Putzier.[/b][/quote]

though he might be more of a catching TE than blocker.

[quote]
Jeb Putzier
#87 / Tight End / Denver Broncos

Height: 6-4

Weight: 256

Born: Jan 20, 1979

College: Boise State

Contract: 3/15/2009: Signed a one-year contract

Originally drafted by the Broncos with a 6th-round pick (191st overall) back in 2002, Jeb has returned to the Broncos on what appears to be the downside of a good career. At 6'4" and 256 lbs., Putzier was never a very strong blocker, but pulled in 36 and 37 passes respectively, in 2004 and 2005. However, over the past 3 seasons he's only garnered 19 total passes and since his blocking skills are not his strongest suit, it's likely that Putzier is only camp fodder this year. Broncos fans will wish him well - he was well liked by fans and teammates alike.
[/quote]

96 catches in 8 years. So maybe not that great.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/7/13/942699/2009-denver-broncos-breaking-down

The Falcons just released Ben Hartsock. He was a 3rd or 4th rounder out of Ohio St. about 5 years ago.

I think he'd fit pretty well what we are looking for. He's an okay pass catcher and very good run blocker. Just a real solid, experienced veteran guy who should be able to get up to speed pretty quickly.

[quote name='happyrid' date='01 September 2009 - 03:51 PM' timestamp='1251834716' post='796981']
The Falcons just released Ben Hartsock. He was a 3rd or 4th rounder out of Ohio St. about 5 years ago.

I think he'd fit pretty well what we are looking for. He's an okay pass catcher and [b]very good run blocker[/b]. Just a real solid, [b]experienced veteran[/b] guy who should be able to get up to speed pretty quickly.
[/quote]

sounds good to me

[quote name='mtrbur' date='01 September 2009 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1251834956' post='796984']
sounds good to me
[/quote]

Yeah, with 2 young guys, it would be nice to bring in a veteran. Plus, with Coffman definitely more of a pass catcher than blocker at this point, another blocking TE would be nice to have.

I'd be fine with Hartsock but it may make more sense to wait until the cutdowns to 53 to see if there is a better option.

We've pretty much always gone with 3 TEs though so it seems like we are almost definitely going to have to pickup someone.

[quote name='happyrid' date='01 September 2009 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1251834716' post='796981']

I think he'd fit pretty well what we are looking for. He's an okay pass catcher and very good run blocker. Just a real solid, experienced veteran guy who should be able to get up to speed pretty quickly.
[/quote]

X2. spent many years in Indy too, so you know he can block and you know he can grasp a complex playbook.

[quote name='happyrid' date='01 September 2009 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1251835555' post='796986']
Yeah, with 2 young guys, it would be nice to bring in a veteran. Plus, with Coffman definitely more of a pass catcher than blocker at this point, another blocking TE would be nice to have.

I'd be fine with Hartsock but it may make more sense to wait until the cutdowns to 53 to see if there is a better option.

We've pretty much always gone with 3 TEs though so it seems like we are almost definitely going to have to pickup someone.
[/quote]

as harsh as it sounds, you can sign Hartstock now and always cut him in a week if someone better becomes available. Not the nicest thing in the world, but not something any other team in the league wouldn't do. Plus, it keeps another team from stealing him in the mean time.

Not to sound like Mike Brown, but.......

When Marvin made the statement yesterday that the TE and FB positions are pretty interchangeable in their scheme, it made me wonder if Chris Pressley has received some looks at TE. He has a great reputation for blocking. He's already on the team. They aren't going to carry 3 FB's. And Johnson and Fui are ahead of him there.

I know it's not as drastic as converting a DE to TE. Or even for that matter, converting a DT to an OG. Yeah....probably not drastic enough to float.

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='01 September 2009 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1251844196' post='797072']
Not to sound like Mike Brown, but.......

When Marvin made the statement yesterday that the TE and FB positions are pretty interchangeable in their scheme, it made me wonder if Chris Pressley has received some looks at TE. He has a great reputation for blocking. He's already on the team. They aren't going to carry 3 FB's. And Johnson and Fui are ahead of him there.

I know it's not as drastic as converting a DE to TE. Or even for that matter, converting a DT to an OG. Yeah....probably not drastic enough to float.
[/quote]

I think the problem may be height/arm length. Pressley is listed as 6-0 and doesn't really even look like that tall. I would think that would be the shortest tight end in the NFL. I think there is a big difference between running, trying to get your pads low and hitting a LB in the hole vs. standing up on the line (no running head start) and trying to deal with a tall, long armed DE.

I do like Pressley though and wouldn't mind seeing him on the P.S. if we have room.

wow.. what an OSU suckfest over a below average journeyman TE....

would have liked rod hood months ago.. still would now.. how are the browns cutting anyone on DB side tho?

they arent too good there... seems like something might be wrong with rod hood... aside from not being that great, as we all knew.

CB and OL are my only real concerns..

Coates is a "good" blocker.. and coffman is a good receiver.. coates hands are ok, about the same as reggie,

and coates can be dropped back into the backfield to block and audible too..

i doubt a shitty TE comes in and does anything but supply depth behind the two we have now..

and frankly, someone that crappy will still be jobless if ever needed anyway...

[quote name='MaineBengal' date='02 September 2009 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1251868095' post='797197']
Klopfenstein is intriguing. IIRC, Cincy was interested in him in the draft, and were bummed when he wasn't available at their pick.
[/quote]
I'm thinking the same thing. Too lazy to go dig out the old draft guides but it seems he was listed as one of the top ones in
a rather decent crop that year and overshadowed by some others. Slid lower than expected.
Maybe a reason since he is being cut but could fit and stick here.

I really don't like Coates.
He isn't picking up the right blockers or something because I have seen two sacks in the last
two games that I thought were on him- and not Collins.

I also read somewhere and didn't cut and post because it was in the middle of a bunch of other crap
that most of the sacks we have given up so far are not the fault of the OLine. Just passing it along
and not the source, but food for thought.

Archived