!!!OFFICIAL HARD KNOCKS EPISODE 4 THREAD!!!

[quote name='Phatcat' date='03 September 2009 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1251986924' post='797566']
I haven't watched this episode yet, but I am curious what others think. From the various accounts, specifically when it comes to Mike Brown and Katie, that Andre may have been a coaches pick at #6 overall. Obviously, I am reading between the lines and have no reference for comparison, but it feels like from the accounts above they were less than excited about getting this guy signed and into practice. And had some serious reservations about Andre.

I know, I know probably reading way too much into something that is edited for tv so keep the bashing to a minimal...... THANKS :shrug:
[/quote]

I think it's more that they didn't appreciate Keels, and that frustration has bled over to Andre.

[quote name='Lucid' date='03 September 2009 - 11:44 AM' timestamp='1251992640' post='797613']
I think it's more that they didn't appreciate Keels, and that frustration has bled over to Andre.
[/quote]

yea.. i think Mike's draft board was:

Curry, Andre, Crabtree(can u fucking imagine), and so on.

so he was mikes pick when we picked...

i think its Alvin they dislike and perhaps are now frustrated that he gained weight obviously NOT working out very much in the offseason..

its painful to "reward" a guy who hasnt been doing the right things.

i loved this episode and it was great. i really like what thorton wrote, great job JT. Mike did look like an Ass when Andre Smith decided to go and thank his new boss. not even really sure why is this guy a GM! Fix that freaking gate!

oh, oh, oh...my funniest moment in that episode is the look on Lavernous Coles face when Marvin was blowin up, that was a classic lol :24: his face was priceless :24:

I liked the piece on JB and the team history lesson.

I wonder if Chad's girlfriend's story is true about him getting in a wheelchair? She's hot but not close to Brody Croyle or Tony Gonzalez's wives from the season they did KC. They were ridiculous.

Does Marvin go to work at 5 AM every day? They should have showe Cosby's punt return and the early excitement in the Rams game.

Good work on the Smith negotiations and the aftermath. Mike Brown seemed pretty sour when meeting Andre.

We've seen a lot of Jordan Palmer, I'd like to see a bit about O'Sullivan. That dinner with the bubble guys seemed more comfortable than you'd expect.

I know QBs are the face of the team, but goddam I couldn't be happier to have Carson as ours. He [i]always[/i] fills me with confidence. He's the freaking man.

Andre Smith... hmmm. Was glad when we drafted him but dear god. What a lardy sack of... lard.

Still reckon 43 and 28 make the team. I'd like to see 40 instead of 27, but can't see it happening.

I'm actually quite worried that Fui wont make it. If anything I'd keep both the backups and drop Jeremi. But that's why I'm not a coach lol

[b][size="5"][color="#0d5e96"]Bengals' coach delivers 'Hard Knocks'[/color][/size][/b]
By [color="#0d5e96"]Ken Paxson [/color]| Thursday, September 3, 2009, 11:21 AM

Those who think Marvin Lewis isn't in command of his football team or no longer has the passion he once had needs to see episode IV of HBO's series "Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cincinnati Bengals."

The show opened with Lewis' tirade in the locker room following the Bengals' loss to the St.. Louis Rams in the third preseason game. Lewis dropped the F-bomb as he berated the team for its sloppy effort:

"This is your team. Find a way to fix it," Lewis screamed. "Reach down and be a (expletive) pro. I don't like this feeling. I can't stand it … we're going to go with or without you."

Players appeared captivated, quiet and some even a little shaken up.

He got their attention. That's for sure.

We also got to see a softer side of Lewis as he had a conversation with Pernell Phillips, a defensive lineman out of Central State University who was cut. This was the first time we got to see the coach talk with a player who had been let go. Previously, HBO made it appear as if Bengals Director of Pro/College Personnel Jim Lippincott did all the dirty work without a word to the player from Lewis.

He encouraged Phillips one-on-one in his office, as I'm sure he does with most — if not all — players who are cut.

You were also able to tell how much impact and influence Chad Ochocinco has on this team. He gathered the team in a huddle before kickoff, said a few inspirational words, then finished it off by getting a big "Kiss Da Baby" from the whole team as the huddle broke.

(We know from a previous episode that this phrase means the fat lady is about to sing on your opponent.)

Not "Who-Dey!." Not "Do your job."

"Kiss Da Baby." Only Chad could pull that off.

The more the cameras show of Carson Palmer, the more I like the guy. He seems focused despite the fact that he hasn't been able to play because of an ankle sprain. Palmer doesn't mope. He offers encouragement to other players, including younger brother Jordan, trying to make the team as the third-string QB.

One shot of Palmer had him on the sideline telling a teammate something like: "Just wait until the first game. This place will be all orange. It's awesome."

It's interesting to me to hear players comment on fans, stadium atmosphere, etc. I know what it's like as a fan in the stands, having missed maybe 6 home Bengal games in the last 18 years. How the players on the field view things intrigues me.

Finally let me say how impressed I am with HBO's ability to cover the Andre Smith signing and subsequent injury. As you know, the Bengals' top draft pick signed on Sunday and was out with a broken foot on Tuesday.

I wondered prior to the show if HBO would be able to turn that around. They did and did an excellent job of it. Smith is shown arriving, talking with team owner Mike Brown (who was obviously perturbed with the big fella's holdout), and taking part in his first practice.

The cameras were even there at the exact moment Smith got hurt. He could be heard saying "Ah, my foot" as he limped off the practice field.

The one thing I'm still waiting for, though, is the footage from Muhammad Ali's appearance at camp in Georgetown a couple weeks back, as well as an update on the tight end situation — but I guess that one's not coming.

One "Hard Knocks" episode left. I'm anxious to see how HBO wraps it all up.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/bengals/entries/2009/09/03/bengals_coach_delivers_hard_kn.html?cxtype=feedbot"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/bengals/entries/2009/09/03/bengals_coach_delivers_hard_kn.html?cxtype=feedbot[/url]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='03 September 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1251993673' post='797623']
i loved this episode and it was great. i really like what thorton wrote, great job JT. Mike did look like an Ass when Andre Smith decided to go and thank his new boss. not even really sure why is this guy a GM! Fix that freaking gate!

oh, oh, oh...my funniest moment in that episode is the look on Lavernous Coles face when Marvin was blowin up, that was a classic lol :24: his face was priceless :24:
[/quote]

I laugh whenever Marvin does his Barney Rubble laugh.

I was trying to read Coles' mind during that speech. Was it the naturally being uncomfortable when you're chewed out or "Damn, I've never had a coach go this ape shit over a pre-season game!"?

[size="5"][b]'Hard Knocks' recap: Episode 4[/b][/size]

September 3, 2009 10:00 AM

[i]
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker[/i]

HBO's "Hard Knocks" series continued Wednesday night with its fourth episode on the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin"][color="#666666"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url].

Here is a recap:

[b]Synopsis:[/b] This week's episode centered on Bengals coach Marvin Lewis. He is in his seventh year in Cincinnati and several of his own players admitted that this is a big season for "The Bossman," as receiver [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2584"][color="#000000"]Chad Ochocinco[/color][/url] refers to him. The show details Cincinnati's history and Lewis' various struggles, such as making sure the Bengals don't accept mediocrity and keeping in check all the different personalities. He even calls out Ochocinco for using Twitter, and then yells at the entire team following a preseason loss to the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=stl"][color="#000000"]St. Louis Rams[/color][/url].

[b]
All in the family:[/b] Finally, the show delved into the "family business" of the Bengals and how the team was once run by Paul Brown and passed onto current owner Mike Brown. Another interesting tidbit was that vice president Katie Blackburn worked for the team as early as high school. Blackburn, Mike Brown's daughter, now has a law degree and is the Bengals' chief negotiator.

[b]
Funny moment No. 1:[/b] The entrance for the coaches at Paul Brown Stadium doesn't work. "The gate is still broke?" Lewis wondered. "Why do I think the gate is still broke?" So Lewis backs up his truck, then drives it around the entrance gate and gets a good laugh out of it.

[b]
Funny moment No. 2:[/b] With his girlfriend in attendance, Ochocinco offers a tip on how to meet women. The trick, according to Ochocinco, is to tell a woman your cell phone is dead, borrow hers, and then dial your number from the woman's phone and call or text her later. "That may be some stalker-ish stuff but it helps with the rejection process." (Thanks, Ocho, but I think I'll pass on that approach.)

[b]
Fullback quandary:[/b] It looks like the fullback competition between 2009 draft pick [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12743"][color="#000000"]Fui Vakapuna[/color][/url] and relative unknown [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12930"][color="#000000"]Chris Pressley[/color][/url] is heating up. The coaches like Pressley's blocking ability more and appear to be considering him for a surprise roster spot. Vakapuna is more fluid catching passes out of the backfield, according to the team. Finals roster cuts are Saturday. Could an upset be brewing?

[b]
Smith in action:[/b] As expected, first-round pick Andre Smith's contract agreement made it into the most recent episode. Smith ended his 30-day holdout, and owner Mike Brown tells him right away that he's not in good shape. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported this week that Smith was overweight when he arrived, and your favorite [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4437525"][color="#000000"]AFC North blogger also reported[/color][/url] that Cincinnati inserted a 350-pound "weight clause" into his contract during the regular season. HBO showed the actual sequence where Smith fractured a bone in his foot, and it was really a non-descript play where he was holding his block on [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11419"][color="#000000"]Chris Harrington[/color][/url]. According to HBO, Smith will be out for at least three weeks.

[b]
Grade:[/b] B

[b]
Why:[/b] This was another good episode in what's been an impressive season of "Hard Knocks," but I felt this week's offering was a bit jumbled. The show tried to explain the Bengals' family-run operation, Lewis' plight, Smith's signing, a poor preseason performance, and while still getting in its weekly dose of Ochocinco all in one hour. It jumped back and forth from story to story so fast without going very in-depth on any one topic. But overall it's pretty clear that Lewis is not pleased with his football team. There are a lot of little things going on with the Bengals right now that Lewis doesn't like, such as players arriving late to practice and not taking care of the little things in games. Cleaning up the little things is what the preseason is for. But if the Bengals feel they've already arrived and carry that attitude into the regular season, it could be a long year.

[url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/2472/%E2%80%98hard-knocks%E2%80%99-recap-episode-4"]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/2472/%E2%80%98hard-knocks%E2%80%99-recap-episode-4[/url]

Archived