TE Darius Hill
DT Ventrell Jenkins
CB Rico Murray
OT Augustus Parrish
FB Chris Pressley
LB Dan Skuta
K Sam Swank
FB Fui Vakapuna

edit: Ctrent left out mcdonald and he did get cut.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='05 September 2009 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1252177233' post='798605']
Injured reserve
WR Antonio Chatman

Three veterans not subeject to waivers, releasing them to free agency:
LB Darryl Blackstock
LB Jim Maxwell
DT Langston Moore

Waived 18
S Marvin White
G Andrew Crummey
S Corey Lynch
G Jason Shirley
DE Chris Harrington
HB James Johnson
TE Kolomona Kapanui
WR Maurice Purify
WR Freddie Brown
TE Darius Hill
DT Ventrell Jenkins
CB Rico Murray
OT Augustus Parrish
FB Chris Pressley
LB Dan Skuta
K Sam Swank
FB Fui Vakapuna.
[/quote]

Suprised that Shirley got cut---hope he makes practice squad---along with a FB

sad to see white go.

kinda surprised to see blackstock go cuz he was good on STs.

would have preferred to have kept purify > cosby.

i figure the PS is:
G Jason Shirley
DE Chris Harrington
HB James Johnson
DT Clinton Mcdonald
WR Maurice Purify or WR Freddie Brown
CB Rico Murray
FB Chris Pressley or FB Fui Vakapuna
LB Dan Skuta

personally i wouldnt keep harrington though and i would keep both WRs.

[quote name='Jungle1' date='05 September 2009 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1252177341' post='798608']
Suprised that Shirley got cut---hope he makes practice squad---along with a FB
[/quote]

Not a ton of surprises here. I think Marvin may have known all along Shirley wasn't making this team but starting to convert him to a G may open up the chance for the practice squad.

Both DDD and Leonard pretty much made it impossible to cut one of them. I'll admit to being more than a bit nervous with one fullback on the roster and that is the same guy who ate himself out of this league.

Quan may be the biggest surprise for not being on this list. I feel bad for Chatman, he was never truly healthy as a Bengal.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='05 September 2009 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1252178044' post='798616']
there is no reason to keep 2 FBs and JJ is one of the best FBs in the NFL. why do people question that? JJ has never been a liability in the regular season EVER.

edit: Ctrent left out mcdonald and he did get cut.
[/quote]

No one questions JJ's ability WHEN he is in shape. The guy can't carry all that extra weight and play at a high level. I think going w/ 1 FB signals that JJ should be ready to handle the load. I sure hope so.

would have kept white and shirley over Lynch/Hebert and Rucker, but other than that not too surprising. Kinda surprised Foschi made it, but I could see him getting replaced here in the next few days.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='05 September 2009 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1252178116' post='798617']
im shocked we kept pope and trent.
[/quote]

IMO Trent was in no danger.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1252178266' post='798619']
would have kept white and shirley over Lynch/Hebert and Rucker, but other than that not too surprising. Kinda surprised Foschi made it, but I could see him getting replaced here in the next few days.

IMO Trent was in no danger.
[/quote]

Pope probably goes once Jones can play again - which will probably coincide with end of Andre's roster exemption...

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='05 September 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1252178842' post='798624']
X2

Rumor has it Ben Watson is going to be cut. If I was MB I would have a plane already in NE waiting for him.
[/quote]
That makes no sense to me, why cut a guy who is on the team to be a blocking TE who has been here a month to sign a guy who will be nothing more than a blocking TE who has no idea what they run

Herbert was a no brainer to me. Lead the team in special teams tackles and actually got pro bowl votes last year, dont think anyone else on the roster did

With Jones hurt they had to keep 4 CB's, theres no telling how long he will be out and with GB week two I dont think you can go 3 CB's and Crock against there offense

[quote name='bengalsdave985' date='05 September 2009 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1252179231' post='798626']
That makes no sense to me, why cut a guy who is on the team to be a blocking TE who has been here a month to sign a guy who will be nothing more than a blocking TE who has no idea what they run
[/quote]
Umm, because Ben Watson is not just a blocking TE. He had about 800 yds receiving one year, which is probably at least double the most we've ever had here. Unfortunately, I think Philly or New Orleans will outbid us...

[quote name='bengalsdave985' date='05 September 2009 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1252179231' post='798626']

Herbert was a no brainer to me. Lead the team in special teams tackles and actually got pro bowl votes last year, dont think anyone else on the roster did

With Jones hurt they had to keep 4 CB's, theres no telling how long he will be out and with GB week two I dont think you can go 3 CB's and Crock against there offense
[/quote]

Because Watson has more talent. He is in a numbers game with two other really good TE's.

[quote name='alleycat' date='05 September 2009 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1252179326' post='798627']
Umm, because Ben Watson is not just a blocking TE. He had about 800 yds receiving one year, which is probably at least double the most we've ever had here. Unfortunately, I think Philly or New Orleans will outbid us...
[/quote]
Your making my point for me. If NE doesnt want him anymore why would we pick up a "pass catching" TE to add to our already not so great group of blocking TE's. I dont think it makes any sense to go after him when we are trying to run the ball more and need a TE who is basically another tackle

I hardly call Alex Smith who the Bucs cut and Dave Thomas with his 9 catches last year really good TE's. If they cut him its a money thing, not a talent thing

[quote name='bengalsdave985' date='05 September 2009 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1252179511' post='798629']
Your making my point for me. If NE doesnt want him anymore why would we pick up a "pass catching" TE to add to our already not so great group of blocking TE's. I dont think it makes any sense to go after him when we are trying to run the ball more and need a TE who is basically another tackle
[/quote]

I don't know...maybe because he is an upgrade for us...

No one wanted Tank Johnson.
No one wanted Chris Crocker.
No one wanted Roy Williams.
No one wanted Cedric Benson.

Many a player has been cut and then went on to have a good career for another team.

[/quote]

I'm gonna go with....talent?

That's like saying you'd pass on Ray Lewis for Abdul Hodge because Hodge has been in the system longer.

[b][size="5"]Bengals announce cuts[/size][/b]
Posted 29 minutes ago

Posted: 3 p.m.

For veteran running backs Brian Leonard and DeDe Dorsey, yes. For free-agent rookies Tom Nelson and Quan Cosby, also yes as the Bengals cut a 22-player swath through their roster Saturday to get to the maximum 53 players.

For veteran safeties Marvin White and Corey Lynch, no. And for rookie fullbacks Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley, also no.

At least for now, the Bengals opted to with four running backs and just one fullback (Jeremi Johnson) while also going with 10 defensive backs in a field that counts Nelson as well as special teams ace Kyries Hebert at safety.

Here are the 22 roster moves the Bengals made in in reaching the NFL limit of 53.

Placed one player on the Reserve/Injured list:
--WR Antonio Chatman (seventh-year player; ankle)

Terminated the contracts of three veterans not subject to waivers, releasing them to free agency:
--LB Darryl Blackstock
--LB Jim Maxwell
--DT Langston Moore

Waived the following 18 players:
--S Marvin White (third-year player; Texas Christian)
--G Andrew Crummey (second-year player; Maryland), injury settlement
--S Corey Lynch (second-year player; Appalachian State)
--G Jason Shirley (second-year player; Fresno State)
--DE Chris Harrington (first-year player; Texas A&M)
--RB James Johnson (first-year player; Kansas State)
--TE Kolomona Kapanui (first-year player; West Texas A&M)
--WR Maurice Purify (first-year player; Nebraska)
--WR Freddie Brown (rookie; Utah)
--TE Darius Hill (rookie; Ball State)
--DT Ventrell Jenkins (rookie; Kentucky)
--DT Clinton McDonald (rookie; Memphis)
--CB Rico Murray (rookie; Kent State)
--T Augustus Parrish (rookie; Kent State)
--FB Chris Pressley (rookie; Wisconsin)
--LB Dan Skuta (rookie; Grand Valley State)
--K Sam Swank (rookie; Wake Forest)
--FB Fui Vakapuna (rookie; Brigham Young)

Brown, McDonald and Vakapuna were seventh-round Bengals choices in the 2009 draft, and the other seven waived rookies entered the NFL this year as college free agents.

PRACTICE SQUAD: With the exception of Marvin White, all of the players waived today are eligible to be signed to an NFL practice squad if they clear waivers tomorrow. The Bengals plan to announce tomorrow a practice squad of up to eight players.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
--Rookie T Andre Smith of Alabama remains with the team on a roster exemption, not counting against the 53 limit. The exemption expires on Sept. 14.
--TE Matt Sherry cleared waivers and reverted to the Reserve/Injured list on Tuesday.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-announce-cuts/8a8f93f2-34db-4dee-bce0-8c2ed89c7473"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Bengals-announce-cuts/8a8f93f2-34db-4dee-bce0-8c2ed89c7473[/url]

Archived