Cuts announced

[quote name='Oldcat' date='05 September 2009 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1252196096' post='798734']
It seemed pretty clear that since he was playing later in the games than Leonard, if they only kept one it probably would not have been DDD. I'm glad he made it, lets run the ball down their throats all year.
[/quote]

injury waiting to happen soon.....some guys are like that...

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1252181027' post='798647']
I'm not so confident Shirley sticks on the PS. As for White vs. Hebert, Hebert gives you absolutely nothing on defense and White could at least be good at both defense and special teams.
[/quote]

White was awful. I am so glad he is gone. Herbert is at least a pretty good special teamer. Who is gonna pluck Shirley being that he is transitioning to Oline? Nobody would be looking at him as a DT at this point really. Cuts were perfect this year.

[quote name='Mikey6866' date='05 September 2009 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1252196934' post='798739']
White was awful. I am so glad he is gone. Herbert is at least a pretty good special teamer. Who is gonna pluck Shirley being that he is transitioning to Oline? Nobody would be looking at him as a DT at this point really. Cuts were perfect this year.
[/quote]

true dat Mikey....

White was a pee brain in an athletes body....
Shirley was a pee brain in some sort of body....

[quote name='Mikey6866' date='05 September 2009 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1252196934' post='798739']
[/quote]
no way white wasn't good but is far better than herbert - kh is a beast on st but sucks as a safety i'm guessing his knee was still messed up

with roy working on only a one year contract i'd rather of kept white just in case

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='05 September 2009 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1252191235' post='798710']
What 7 guys do we not dress come next sunday?

1 CB (Trent? maybe 2 with pope as well?) 1 WR (simpson) 1 OL maybe 2? (mathis or roland) 1 TE? (Foschi?) Rucker or Fanene?

What do you do?
[/quote]

My guess for the 1st week is:

1 Froste Rucker
2 J.P. Foschi
3 David Jones (Injured)
4 Jerome Simpson
5 Dennis Roland
6 Geoff Pope / Morgan Trent (pick one)
7 Jordan Palmer

After that, injuries will probably help make the decisions.

[quote name='BBR' date='05 September 2009 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1252198956' post='798749']
My guess for the 1st week is:

1 Froste Rucker
2 J.P. Foschi
3 David Jones (Injured)
4 Jerome Simpson
5 Dennis Roland
6 Geoff Pope / Morgan Trent (pick one)
7 Jordan Palmer

After that, injuries will probably help make the decisions.
[/quote]

Jordan doesnt count...you can dress 45 guys plus an emergency qb that can only play if both the first two get hurt. So you can dress 46 with JP, leaving 7 other spots...

[quote name='bubba' date='05 September 2009 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1252198436' post='798745']
no way white wasn't good but is far better than herbert - kh is a beast on st but sucks as a safety i'm guessing his knee was still messed up

with roy working on only a one year contract i'd rather of kept white just in case
[/quote]

I am guessing that if Williams is good, we will definitely try to re-sign him. Otherwise, I would bet Lynch will be on the PS. With Ndukwe, Nelson, Lynch and Crocker, we should be ok at safety (even w/o the draft) if Williams leaves.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1252181180' post='798649']
why bother IR'ing Chatman? Isn't he in the last year of his contract anyway?
[/quote]

You get hurt on the job and you can not be fired. Chatman if hurt while playing/practicing or during any drill or team function is protected. He goes to Ir and he can negotate an injury settlement and then be released or he can stay on IR and get paid.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1252181180' post='798649']
[/quote]

Likely has to do with the rules about injury settlements. IF not, then it was pretty stupid because he obviously wouldn't be resigned next season.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='05 September 2009 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1252199111' post='798750']
Jordan doesnt count...you can dress 45 guys plus an emergency qb that can only play if both the first two get hurt. So you can dress 46 with JP, leaving 7 other spots...
[/quote]

Whoops... I forgot about that. Plus I was being a retard and added 45 + 7 and got 53 (sad that I have a BS in Comp. Sci and it's a mostly theoretical / math based CS degree).

That's tough then, not sure who the last spot will be. Would they actually deactivate DDD on game days or just go short on CBs and sit both Trent and Pope?

I thought I had it figured out, but now I'm not so sure.

[quote name='DontPushMe' date='05 September 2009 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1252199865' post='798757']
i cant envision a scenario, other than IR, where foschi finishes the season on this roster

the only guys that we kept that i wouldnt have kept were hodge and hebert... outside of that, nothing major
[/quote]

why not Hodge?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1252199989' post='798758']
why not Hodge?
[/quote]

Must have likely Blackstock. Personally, I thought Hodge was the right choice of the two, but did like that Blackstock could put his hands down too.

[quote name='BBR' date='05 September 2009 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1252199516' post='798756']
Whoops... I forgot about that. Plus I was being a retard and added 45 + 7 and got 53 (sad that I have a BS in Comp. Sci and it's a mostly theoretical / math based CS degree).

That's tough then, not sure who the last spot will be. W[b]ould they actually deactivate DDD on game days[/b] or just go short on CBs and sit both Trent and Pope?

I thought I had it figured out, but now I'm not so sure.
[/quote]

Eh, whats the point of keeping him if they arent gonna dress him? I guess things will be different once people start getting hurt which is inevitable.

[quote name='ccartman2' date='05 September 2009 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1252200068' post='798759']
Must have likely Blackstock. Personally, I thought Hodge was the right choice of the two, but did like that Blackstock could put his hands down too.
[/quote]
Hodge earned his post with his preseason play

[quote name='Jungle1' date='05 September 2009 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1252199132' post='798751']
I am guessing that if Williams is good, we will definitely try to re-sign him. Otherwise, I would bet Lynch will be on the PS. With Ndukwe, Nelson, Lynch and Crocker, we should be ok at safety (even w/o the draft) if Williams leaves.
[/quote]

If he plays good he'll want big bucks and other teams will want him too. i agree we should be ok at safety and lynch will make ps

I guess I was wondering if they'd keep DDD on the 53 but not the 45 as Scott's replacement should he get injured. Normally you wouldn't keep the backup to your change-of-pace back on the roster and just stash him on the PS. That wasn't likely with DDD and I'm not sure James Johnson will make it to the PS. Not even sure how much they like him since they don't say all that much about him. Once the injuries start piling up, they could activate him - especially if a RB gets hurt. Sort of the same reasons they keep Simpson on the 53 but not the 45.

It seems to me like Foschi is just keeping a roster spot filled with a warm body for now. Assuming there aren't any injuries the first week, he'll probably be released when Andre Smith's exemption expires. They could also cut him tomorrow in favor of another cut player.

I doubt Corey Lynch will be a hot commodity on the FA market, so he should make it to the PS.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' date='05 September 2009 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1252200101' post='798760']
So they cut Corey Lynch, but kept Tom Nelson...

I guess the Bengals must have a strict 'only-one-white-guy-defensive-back' policy.
[/quote]

:D and we have a white RB too

[quote name='DontPushMe' date='05 September 2009 - 09:17 PM' timestamp='1252199865' post='798757']
i cant envision a scenario, other than IR, where foschi finishes the season on this roster

the only guys that we kept that i wouldnt have kept were hodge and hebert... outside of that, nothing major
[/quote]

hodge was AMAZING this offseason. no way in hell does he get cut. i think he can get snaps on defense this year.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' date='05 September 2009 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1252200101' post='798760']
So they cut Corey Lynch, but kept Tom Nelson...

I guess the Bengals must have a strict 'only-one-white-guy-defensive-back' policy.
[/quote]

Tom Nelson is a good football player....fundementally sound ..
the type that grows on coaches the more they see him play..
a direct contrast to Marvin white

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='05 September 2009 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1252202722' post='798771']
hodge was AMAZING this offseason. no way in hell does he get cut. i think he can get snaps on defense this year.
[/quote]

agree 100% i would take him all day over blackstock. but really sad that they cut Shirley <_<

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='05 September 2009 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1252181180' post='798649']
[/quote]

Yeah I don't get that either. For all the MB is cheap folks, he could have just cut him. Or would he have to pay him either way? Putting him on IR guarantees the contract correct? I wish I knew rules of stuff.

So, assuming I've been following along at home, here's what the roster looks like AT THIS MOMENT (after cuts, but before Practice Squad is named and/or any players picked up off waivers):

(alphabetically by position)

QB: O'Sullivan, Palmer/C, Palmer/J
RB: Benson, Dorsey, Leonard, *Scott
FB: Johnson/J
WR: Caldwell, Coles, *Cosby(PR), Henry, Ochocinco, Simpson
TE: Coats, *Coffman, Foschi
OT: Collins, Roland, Whitworth, Williams/B
C: Cook, *Luigs
G: Kooistra, Livings, Mathis

DE: Fanene, Geathers, *Johnson/M, Odom, Rucker
TD: Johnson/T, Peko, Sims
ILB: Hodge, Jones/Dahani