Lance McAlister thinks the Bengals will go 10-6

[b]I'll say 10-6

[/b]As a lifelong fan of the Bengals I have grown to understand you'd better embrace moments of optimism when presented with this team. I've never understood the idea of predicting gloom and doom from the start of a season. What fun is that? We are at one of the stages you'd better be able to find hope and faith. Those stages include draft day, the start of free agency, the schedule announcement, camp opening and the season opener.

If you can't find optimsim at those stages why even be a fan? The deck has been stacked against fans for a while. History shows things are likely going to go south and come off the tracks for this team.

So why not enjoy the feeling of optimism while you can?

If you wait for good times they may never come.
If you wait for a winning record it could be a while.
If you wait for December games that matter you probably don't want to hold your breath.

And if you wait, and success happens, then you have missed the enjoyment of the process. I just don't get it.

I get a kick out of fans that insist they can't get excited about this team because they know Lucy will pull the football from Charlie Brown.
Bypassing optimism because you know they are going to lose would be like choosing not to enjoy life because you know you are eventually going to die. How sad does that sound?

From standing along the ropes of Wilmington, to painting my face for the Freezer Bowl, to wearing my Boomer Esiason jersey in my Butler dorm room as I watched the 2nd Super Bowl, I've got an unbreakable emotional investment in this team. For better or for worse, in good times and bad, this is my team. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not filing for free agency and seeking another team. So can I get a "Who Dey?!" It's time for football.

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

I've hit critical mass with Lance. I'm happy he's saying 10-6, but the guy drives me nuts. He's sports bipolar and just loves to take things totally out of context. Once he getson a rant, there's no reasoning with him (not that you can truly reason with him anyway).

In truth, I think this town has had better talkshow guys. And while I may sound like a dick for saying it, I think what has cemented him in as the voice of the common man is all of the medical issues of his son. He's not a great talk radio guy, but he was a compelling story for so many years.

As clarification: I'd like it known I certainly don't think Lance used his son's condition to further his own career. I just think it kind of worked out that way. You wanted good things for Casey, and therefor wanted good things for Lance.

[quote name='mongo' date='12 September 2009 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1252768307' post='800924']
I've hit critical mass with Lance. I'm happy he's saying 10-6, but the guy drives me nuts. He's sports bipolar and just loves to take things totally out of context. Once he getson a rant, there's no reasoning with him (not that you can truly reason with him anyway).

In truth, I think this town has had better talkshow guys. And while I may sound like a dick for saying it, I think what has cemented him in as the voice of the common man is all of the medical issues of his son. He's not a great talk radio guy, but he was a compelling story for so many years.
[/quote]

quoted for truth.

Sadly, Lance is probably the best sports talk guy in SW Ohio (If you think Cincy sportstalk is bad, come to Dayton), but that's really saying very very little.

It's hard to hate Lance, but he is a big goofball. I prefer Mo Egger (or C Trent, when he was around).

I'm actually enjoying the Steve Czaban show in the mornings, it's quite funny. Thank God no more Alan Cutler. Now [i]that[/i] guy was easy to hate. What a d-bag he was. Just like Andy Furman.

[quote name='Nukem41' date='12 September 2009 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1252792900' post='800979']
Lance is bad... Mo is even worse. Mo is 3 hours of him talking.
[/quote]

which I tend to prefer. I'd rather listen to someone who has actually studied to speak for a living than to hear people who are painful to listen to. I think that's why I prefer Dan Patrick to Jim Rome. Callers looking for ten seconds of fame give me gas.

[quote name='Nukem41' date='12 September 2009 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1252792900' post='800979']
Lance is bad... Mo is even worse. Mo is 3 hours of him talking.
[/quote]

That's because nobody calls.
There was a famous episode of WKRP with Sparky Anderson as a guest and that
was the plot of the show. He was taking call ins and no one called and he just had to pull
stuff out of the air- which he did poorly.

I will start by being negative but I could not stand Greg Cook, if anyone remembers when he was
around. I called it "Sports Listen" rather than Sports Talk.
I don't think Cutler every really got it that he was being a tool.
Not exactly sports specifically but I cannot stand Tracy Jones and never could. What an arrogant ass clown.

Not counting Collinsworth when he did it or Trumpy on occasion, unlike everyone else
I always liked Andy Fuhrman and especially when he was teamed with Tom Dinkel.
Fuhrman was all pot boiler and schtick but he kept things moving, And the nicest guy in town
off the air. Adopting war orphan brothers is way over the top as far as being a wonderful, compassionate man.
They (Andy and Tom) used to do the show outside live at sports bar on Third Street on game days then outside the
stadium. Steeler games were grim, Andy was scared witless with good reason with those knuckle dragging
incestuous baby rapers.
Moe is about the best now, imho.
Lance is pretty vanilla.

[quote name='High School Harry' date='12 September 2009 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1252800027' post='800985']
That's because nobody calls.
There was a famous episode of WKRP with Sparky Anderson as a guest and that
was the plot of the show. He was taking call ins and no one called and he just had to pull
stuff out of the air- which he did poorly.

I will start by being negative but I could not stand Greg Cook, if anyone remembers when he was
around. I called it "Sports Listen" rather than Sports Talk.
I don't think Cutler every really got it that he was being a tool.
Not exactly sports specifically but I cannot stand Tracy Jones and never could. What an arrogant ass clown.

Not counting Collinsworth when he did it or Trumpy on occasion, unlike everyone else
I always liked Andy Fuhrman and especially when he was teamed with Tom Dinkel.
Fuhrman was all pot boiler and schtick but he kept things moving, And the nicest guy in town
off the air. Adopting war orphan brothers is way over the top as far as being a wonderful, compassionate man.
They (Andy and Tom) used to do the show outside live at sports bar on Third Street on game days then outside the
stadium. Steeler games were grim, Andy was scared witless with good reason with those knuckle dragging
incestuous baby rapers.
Moe is about the best now, imho.
Lance is pretty vanilla.
[/quote]
Lap and Fish ruled, too. I don't particularly like Johanssen. "TOUCHDOWN.......HOUSHMANZADEH!!!!!!!!!". It's grating, even if it is honestly enthusiastic. It must be his voice or something.

[quote name='mongo' date='12 September 2009 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1252799328' post='800983']
which I tend to prefer. I'd rather listen to someone who has actually studied to speak for a living than to hear people who are painful to listen to. I think that's why I prefer Dan Patrick to Jim Rome. Callers looking for ten seconds of fame give me gas.
[/quote]

That's fine but repeating the same ish over and over again for three hours is not good radio.

Love the DP show. I enjoy Rome's show too but I think his show fails when he leaves the callers out of it.

[quote name='High School Harry' date='12 September 2009 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1252800027' post='800985']
I always liked Andy Fuhrman
[/quote]

I'd rather use a grater on my spine while getting a root canal without novacaine while having all my toenails removed simultaneously than hear Andy Furmans voice on the radio.

Other than him talking, or trying to use logic, I guess he was ok.

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='12 September 2009 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1252809495' post='801012']
I'd rather use a grater on my spine while getting a root canal without novacaine while having all my toenails removed simultaneously than hear Andy Furmans voice on the radio.

Other than him talking, or trying to use logic, I guess he was ok.
[/quote]
Oh, yes. A man after mine own heart. Furball was awful, followed closely by Alan Cutler. May they remain jobless forever. Jesus, Furman was a dick.

[quote name='mongo' date='12 September 2009 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1252799328' post='800983']
[/quote]

ive never listened to DP but heard he is good. i used to hate jim rome, but when i got into college i listened to him a lot and really enjoy his show.

Archived