UC Football Thread

Jason

[quote]No. 17 Cincinnati stifles Oregon St. comeback
Associated Press
add this RSS email print
Updated: September 20, 2009, 1:20 AM EDT
2 comments
CORVALLIS, Ore. (AP) - Tony Pike threw for 332 yards and hit Mardy Gilyard with an 18-yard scoring pass in the fourth quarter as No. 17 Cincinnati stopped a second-half Oregon State comeback bid for a 28-18 victory on Saturday.

The Bearcats (3-0) snapped Oregon State's streak of 26 straight nonconference victories at Reser Stadium, dating back to a 67-28 win over Northern Illinois on Nov. 16, 1996.

Tony Pike completed 31 of 49 passes and two touchdowns and Gilyard had nine catches for 65 yards.

Sean Canfield completed 29 of 45 passes for 240 yards and an interception for the Beavers (2-1). Jacquizz Rodgers' 9-yard scoring run to open the second half was Oregon State's lone touchdown.

Cincinnati built up a 21-8 halftime lead but didn't score again until Gilyard's TD catch.

Last week Gilyard scored four touchdowns in a 70-3 victory over Southeast Missouri State, becoming the first Bowl Subdivision player to score on a punt return, a run and a catch in the same game since UCLA's Maurice Drew (now Jones-Drew) did it in 2005.

Oregon State's Rodgers appeared bothered by a sore ankle that lingered from last weekend's 23-21 victory over UNLV last weekend. Quizz, as he is known, insisted all week his ankle was fine.

But his 31 yards rushing in the first half raised questions. Then he came out in the second half with his usual elusiveness for a 9-yard touchdown run that narrowed Cincinnati's lead to 21-15,

Quizz was the Pac-10's offensive player of the year last season as a freshman. He and big brother James Rodgers, a flanker, had scored six of Oregon State's seven touchdowns through two games this season, and accounted for 597 yards in total offense.

Against Cincinnati Quizz had 73 for the game. James Rodgers ran for 67 yards and caught 11 passes for 90 yards.

While propelled by its offense, Cincinnati's defense passed its first major test.

Playing under new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco, the Bearcats returned only one starter on defense. But they shut down Rutgers in a 47-15 season-opening victory and allowed only a field goal to Southeast Missouri State.

Oregon State appeared to find weaknesses in the second half. Senior linebacker Keaton Kristick's first career interception shifted the momentum until Gilyard's reception snuffed it.

Oregon State went up 6-0 in the first quarter on a pair of field goals by Justin Kahut from 46 and 39 yards.

The Bearcats went ahead 7-6 on Pike's 7-yard run, but Oregon State responded with a safety and regained the lead.

Cincinnati went ahead 21-8 before the half on Isaiah Pead's 1-yard scoring run and Pike's 45-yard touchdown pass to DJ Woods.

Rodgers' scoring run opened the second half and Kahut's 23-yeard field goal to open the fourth quarter narrowed it further for Oregon State.[/quote]
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10097110/No.-17-Cincinnati-stifles-Oregon-St.-comeback

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 September 2009 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1253549402' post='805867']
lol its hilarious how many UC fans are so uptight about OSU and desperate to share their opinion of them, when most OSU fans don't make a peep about UC. Hell, a number of the OSU fans on this board root for UC.
[/quote]

I've got nothing against OSU. They have interesting games to watch now and again but no love or hate here with me.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 September 2009 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1253549402' post='805867']
lol its hilarious how many UC fans are so uptight about OSU and desperate to share their opinion of them, when most OSU fans don't make a peep about UC. Hell, a number of the OSU fans on this board root for UC.
[/quote]

i really don't hate them, just don't care for them. when i travel and anyone that asks me where you from they automatically say your an OSU fan ? and im always like no, im a Bearcat fan. their always shocked lol. but i tell them, that i would root for them if their in a big game and as long as it's not against my team lol.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='21 September 2009 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1253550480' post='805885']
i really don't hate them, just don't care for them. when i travel and anyone that asks me where you from they automatically say your an OSU fan ? and im always like no, im a Bearcat fan. their always shocked lol. but i tell them, that i would root for them if their in a big game and as long as it's not against my team lol.
[/quote]

That is where I stand as well.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='21 September 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1253549402' post='805867']
[/quote]

i just cannot stand OSU fans they act just like stealers fans. i dont dislike OSU players or the team itself i just cannot fucking stand the large douchebaggery of the majority of their fans.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='21 September 2009 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1253571167' post='806044']
i just cannot stand OSU fans they act just like stealers fans. i dont dislike OSU players or the team itself i just cannot fucking stand the large douchebaggery of the majority of their fans.
[/quote]

from what I can tell, you seem to have an inferiority complex.

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1253621692' post='806167']
Wow, check out this bowl projection:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/901289.html
[/quote]

it sort of makes sense. if WVU doesnt lose to pitt a few years ago they were gonna be in the NC. UC wins satuday and they SHOULD run the table. many of the teams currently in the top 10 will be likely to lose a game in their conference play. i could see the U running the table and playing Florida as the most likely matchup though.

lol, i would die if we went to the National Championship game and beat Florida where OSU couldn't do it :24:
as big of a homer that i am, i just don't see us going to the National Championship game. but if we did, i aint complaining. and if that does happen, good bye OSU, all the recruits will start coming here.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='22 September 2009 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1253671357' post='806411']
lol, i would die if we went to the National Championship game and beat Florida where OSU couldn't do it :24:
as big of a homer that i am, i just don't see us going to the National Championship game. but if we did, i aint complaining. and if that does happen, good bye OSU, all the recruits will start coming here.
[/quote]
Hate to say it, but Florida would destroy UC.

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1253671462' post='806412']
Hate to say it, but Florida would destroy UC.
[/quote]

as of now, i will agree with you. but i'd like to see it happen though. not the destroyed part, but getting there and see how they do against the best.

I think UC has a very good chance to go undefeated until theior bowl game. They will almost certainly be favorites in every game left. Would an undefeated UC team get in over a 1 loss Big Ten, Big 12, or Pac 10 team? I doubt it.

Honestly, I think Miami in the Orange Bowl would probably beat them too. But it would be nice.

Now, if they are playing OSU, I'm rooting for the Bucks even though I went to UC.

[quote name='Jason' date='22 September 2009 - 10:40 PM' timestamp='1253673601' post='806435']
I think UC has a very good chance to go undefeated until theior bowl game. They will almost certainly be favorites in every game left. Would an undefeated UC team get in over a 1 loss Big Ten, Big 12, or Pac 10 team? I doubt it.

Honestly, I think Miami in the Orange Bowl would probably beat them too. But it would be nice.

Now, if they are playing OSU, I'm rooting for the Bucks even though I went to UC.
[/quote]

an undefeated big east school will get in over a 1 loss team imo. WVU had it sealed up a few years ago and then lost to Pitt. Also the U is probably a top 3 team in the nation so saying UC would lose to them is supposed to be shocking? I can see the U winning the NC because if they win this week they should go undefeated up to the bowl game and they can beat Florida.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='23 September 2009 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1253743208' post='806649']
an undefeated big east school will get in over a 1 loss team imo. WVU had it sealed up a few years ago and then lost to Pitt. [b]Also the U is probably a top 3 team in the nation so saying UC would lose to them is supposed to be shocking?[/b] I can see the U winning the NC because if they win this week they should go undefeated up to the bowl game and they can beat Florida.
[/quote]

Where did I say, or even imply, that it would be shocking?

I think that is the most likely matchup for UC (in the Orange Bowl) even if UC does run the table.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='22 September 2009 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1253671357' post='806411']
and if that does happen, good bye OSU, all the recruits will start coming here.
[/quote]

Actually, all the recruits will try to follow Brian Kelly, but they won't be able to once he ascends to heaven on a chariot of fire after the postgame press conference.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='23 September 2009 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1253743208' post='806649']
an undefeated big east school will get in over a 1 loss team imo. WVU had it sealed up a few years ago and then lost to Pitt. Also the U is probably a top 3 team in the nation so saying UC would lose to them is supposed to be shocking? I can see the U winning the NC because if they win this week they should go undefeated up to the bowl game and they can beat Florida.
[/quote]

A big difference, though, is that WVU was highly regarded in preseason polls whereas UC wasn't even in the top 25 - much longer to climb. Still, though, I do believe they will have moved up to the top 5 after most of the teams in front of them lose, and the computers obviously have no bias based on preseason recognizability.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='22 September 2009 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1253671357' post='806411']
[/quote]

Doesn't Florida have the flu going around, ...they might not remain undefeated. They might not make it to the NC.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' date='23 September 2009 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1253753063' post='806691']
Actually, all the recruits will try to follow Brian Kelly, but they won't be able to once he ascends to heaven on a chariot of fire after the postgame press conference.

A big difference, though, is that WVU was highly regarded in preseason polls whereas UC wasn't even in the top 25 - much longer to climb. Still, though, I do believe they will have moved up to the top 5 after most of the teams in front of them lose, and the computers obviously have no bias based on preseason recognizability.
[/quote]

They are already rated 14th and BCS isnt actually used until what week 5?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='23 September 2009 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1253743208' post='806649']
an undefeated big east school will get in over a 1 loss team imo. WVU had it sealed up a few years ago and then lost to Pitt. [b] Also the U is probably a top 3 team in the nation so saying UC would lose to them is supposed to be shocking? I can see the U winning the NC[/b] because if they win this week they should go undefeated up to the bowl game and they can beat Florida.
[/quote]

another Thurman bandwagon team going down. Who's bandwagon are you going to jump on next week? I'll bet some money against them.

Archived