BCS talk for UC legit

Jeb

[quote]BCS talk for UC legit
By Paul Daugherty • pdaugherty@enquirer.com • September 22, 2009

[i]“Cincinnati will end up playing Florida for the national championship in football.’’[/i]

-- Pete Fiutak, College Football News

It’s hard to type while falling out of a chair, so I’m sending this one via smoke signal. It’ll be my last one for awhile. I’m heading for the cave in Idaho, because having read that, I suspect the world will be ending very soon and I want a safe place to ride things out.

If UC is in the national title picture, it’s in the fourth row, behind the really tall kid. Meantime, someone fit Fiutak for the Lecter suit.

Some kidding aside, it really doesn’t matter that it’d be easier for a rock to talk than for the ’09 Bearcats to make Fiutak look prophetic. What matters is that the thought even occurred.

Five years ago, UC football wasn’t household unless the household belonged to the head coach. Now, a guy who writes a national college football column suggests the Bearcats should enter the title conversation.

As UC linebacker J.K. Schaffer put it, “To be in this situation is beyond anything I’d thought would happen.’’

Schaffer graduated from La Salle and spent many Saturdays at Nippert Stadium as a fan. Season tickets? “No,’’ he said. “You didn’t really have to have season tickets.’’

On Tuesday at noon, students lined up 10-deep at a Lindner Center ticket window, spending $10 apiece for standing-room seats to Saturday’s game against arch-rival Fresno State.

Fiutak suggests UC’s schedule will keep the ‘Cats at the title table. Other than a roadie at Pitt, they get West Virginia and UConn at home. They play at South Florida, but the Bulls’ prolific QB Matt Grothe is done with a knee injury. Further, title hopefuls such as USC and Ohio State already have lost.

“Penn State doesn’t appear to be good enough on the offensive line and in the running game to (beat) Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State,’’ writes Fiutak. “Oklahoma could certainly beat Texas. The Longhorns also have to play at Missouri, at Oklahoma State and at Texas A&M. California will brain-cramp, the stars of the ACC will start picking each other off soon, and the SEC won’t get two teams into the BCS Championship.

“It’s time to think long view,’’ Fiutak concludes.

Hey, I’m breaking out the personal Hubble telescope. Might as well roll with it. As UC running back Isaiah Pead put it, “We’re living the high life now. Growing up, you see Florida and Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State. All the top ranked people. Now, we’re one of them.’’

It’s all part of the genius king’s plan. King Brian Kelly took his team on the road Saturday, to stop a good Pac-10 team that had won 26 non-conference home games in a row and had beaten then-No. 1 USC last season. The Bearcats won by 10.

“I said from day one we came here to compete for a national championship,’’ King Kelly said Tuesday. “You can now say that with a straight face. We can put a product together here that has national relevance.’’

Not even Kelly would bite on the suggestion that UC is in the title photo. “We’re not ready for that, we’re not there yet. It’s nice people would talk about it. I’m hopeful that before you retire that we get to that level,’’ Kelly said.

It would be helpful if the Bearcats did the expected Saturday against Fresno. The Bulldogs are dangerous, but they’re not Oregon State. They throw the ball deep and often. Teams that rely on the longball usually strike out against good competition.

Meantime, enjoy the ride. “You get a mentality that you’re not going to lose,’’ Isaiah Pead said.

Well, what if they don’t lose? What if the Bearcats are 12-0 on Dec. 6? It’s not impossible. It’s not even crazy. What then?

We’ll buy Pete Fiutak a three-way and an even bigger crystal ball. And then we’ll head for the hills. World with end, amen.

“It’s just wild how far this program has come,’’ Schaffer said.

Isn’t it, though?
[/quote]
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009309220053

Archived