Are there funky ads on the site or is it on my end?

mongo

For the last could days, and on both my laptop and desktop, I have been on the forums, left the keyboard for a few minutes, and returned to find that something has initiated my browser to go to a new site (the one that prompted this thread took me to some video at spike.com).

Are there new, and annoying ads on the server?

Is there some OSX adware that has crept onto both of my computers? (unlikely considering this only happens at GB.com)

Anyone notice this?

hmmm.. i havent seen it on my macbook or this grimey windows machine at work... i can look at the "recent ads" but thats typically useless...

there shouldnt be any self launching ads, they are all blocked.. there are some expanding flash ones.. but thats the worst of them typically..

ill see what I can find..

anyone else seeing this?

if you notice anything in the link like RMXADS or CONTEXTWEB i can narrow down which ad agency is issueing it if it is an ad from here...

I've googled "asklots redirect" and found some interesting links. It's way over my head though. Apparently something has gotten into your site and rewritten (or added) some javascript. With the one site in question, the redirects only happened at certain times of day....

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1443503

That's the thread I flipped through. Maybe the Java-monkeys of this site can understand it better.

Not happening to me, either.

Are you running FF? Do you have adblock plus installed?

If not, install and turn it on and see if it continues to happen. That'll help find out if the issue is on the server, a bad adserver, or something on your Mac...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='06 October 2009 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1254857941' post='812389']
Sounds like Go might have a tainted ad server...
[/quote]
It's not happening now, only earlier this morning. I simply clicked "View New Content" (which is still showing up with a dark black background, btw), and while the page was loading, the browser was redirected to that site Mongo lists above.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='06 October 2009 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1254858093' post='812390']
It's not happening now, only earlier this morning. I simply clicked "View New Content" (which is still showing up with a dark black background, btw), and while the page was loading, the browser was redirected to that site Mongo lists above.
[/quote]

When you click "View New Content" that includes Ads, and if there is a compromised ad server or one with a poisoned DNS cache it would initiate the redirection on page load.

If it stopped happening, hopefully the ad host found the problem and fixed it.

It's also possible the advertiser in question is just sleazy...

It has been happening to me without refreshing anything, or clicking any links, so I suspect one of the ad-banners that load different content. It's also happened several times, but at random times. I'm not putting any faith into the problem being fixed.

I don't think it's anything too malicious though. I ran a Malwarebytes scan immediately after it happened and it found nothing, and I had Avast running at the time and it didn't alert me to anything either. I think it's just a simple redirect. It was annoying though, because you can't back arrow out of it back to this website.

[b]How do I stop this board from trying to add all this sh it on my computer? I blocked popups, but my virus protection continues to catch all types of crap trying to dowload.

Anyone else having this problem? Videos opening and playing,adobe trying to open, something asking permission to change my system bios and registry..crazy!
Thanks.

Posted this wrong place before....and no this only happens on this board. I have both FF and IE and it happens on both. I also get redirected, the adobe thing and asking to download is the worse. Because Its timed and I almost missed it not paying attention. There is an ad playing-audio but no video and I don't know how to stop it, lol. I will try to do a print screen and capture the system bios and registry request if it happens again.

No prior viruses on this computer, thanks.[/b]

[quote name='KoKaine7777' date='06 October 2009 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1254880203' post='812495']
[b]How do I stop this board from trying to add all this sh it on my computer? I blocked popups, but my virus protection continues to catch all types of crap trying to dowload.

Anyone else having this problem? Videos opening and playing,adobe trying to open, something asking permission to change my system bios and registry..crazy!
Thanks.

Posted this wrong place before....and no this only happens on this board. I have both FF and IE and it happens on both. I also get redirected, the adobe thing and asking to download is the worse. Because Its timed and I almost missed it not paying attention. There is an ad playing-audio but no video and I don't know how to stop it, lol. I will try to do a print screen and capture the system bios and registry request if it happens again.

No prior viruses on this computer, thanks.[/b]
[/quote]
the adobe is probably because your adobe is out of date, and when a flash ad comes, it wants you to upgrade to the latest version of flash. all download ads are blocked, from all companies i use, and ahve never heard of this before, from anyone, and i have a windows machine at work with both IE and firefox, and one my kids use with ie and firefox and have never ever seen such a thing arise. seems like some updated are due all around? browser versions and flash plugins and stuff?

a few audio/video ads squeek by, as they are categorized generally in the blocking scheme, so my revenue would drop about 85% without them allowed in a little....

but back to the original issue, i would go to mizilla.com and microsoft.com/ie and upgrade to the latest versions perhaps? and go to adobe.com and click on the flash download and make sure its all up to date and see if that stops it..

Archived