The first thing I would look at is re-signing our free agents.

Roy Williams and Tank Johnson top the list. Shayne and Bobbie are also on the list.

I would also try to extend Cedric.

Right now I don't see any glaring needs. I think the offensive line will get better as they continue to play together and Andre gets on the field.

Positions I would look to draft would be G, LS, CB and S. None of them I would consider a first round [b]need[/b].

If things continue as they are now, my first round pick would be BPA.

Things I would "like" would be a big WR and another DT. And you can never have too many CBs.

Players I would love in 1 (assuming we are drafting 22 or later) include Spikes, Kindle, Brandon LaFell, or Trevard Lindley.

[quote name='Jason' date='06 October 2009 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1254854700' post='812362']
The first thing I would look at is re-signing our free agents.

Roy Williams and Tank Johnson top the list. Shayne and Bobbie are also on the list.

I would also try to extend Cedric.

Right now I don't see any glaring needs. I think the offensive line will get better as they continue to play together and Andre gets on the field.

Positions I would look to draft would be G, LS, CB and S. None of them I would consider a first round [b]need[/b].

If things continue as they are now, my first round pick would be BPA.

Things I would "like" would be a big WR and another DT. And you can never have too many CBs.

Players I would love in 1 (assuming we are drafting 22 or later) include Spikes, Kindle, Brandon LaFell, or Trevard Lindley.
[/quote]

Man,there are still many needs . In order:

CB,S,DT,OG ,MLB, OT,C,DE

My two wishes are:

A good 3 down TE. A guy that can block but also be more of a threat in the passing game.

I'd like to have another LB. Either Rey inside then look for SLB or keep Rey where he is at and find MLB.

Then a luxury pick but not to far off of the need list is CB unless they get extensions for the current guys.

[b]MLB[/b] (SLB if Rey moves inside)
[b]DE[/b] depth (I like Fanene, but he's not irreplaceable, time to let Rucker go)
[b]Safety[/b] (we have good ones, but no studs. Ndukwe seems to have peaked)
[b]OG[/b] depth (need a replacement for Bobbie, hopefully that ends up being Shirley)
[b]DT[/b] depth (not first round, and probably not if tank is resigned)

[quote name='Patmo' date='06 October 2009 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1254855520' post='812368']
Man,there are still many needs . In order:

CB,S,DT,OG ,MLB, OT,C,DE
[/quote]

I mentioned G, CB, and S.

I don't see center as a need at all.

I also listed a few LBs on my wish list.

I don't see DE as a need, but I wouldn't object to drafting one at some point.

I'm not sure OT is a big need either. We have 3 good young OTs and a couple more adequate backups. I certainly wouldn't take one in the first 2 rounds.

[quote name='Jason' date='06 October 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1254857240' post='812380']
I mentioned G, CB, and S.

I don't see center as a need at all.

I also listed a few LBs on my wish list.

I don't see DE as a need, but I wouldn't object to drafting one at some point.

I'm not sure OT is a big need either. We have 3 good young OTs and a couple more adequate backups. I certainly wouldn't take one in the first 2 rounds.
[/quote]

I think if a good LT prospect fell to them where they end up drafting, Whit would get moved back in and G becomes less of a need (other than replacing bobbie)

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 October 2009 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1254857467' post='812383']
I think if a good LT prospect fell to them where they end up drafting, Whit would get moved back in and G becomes less of a need (other than replacing bobbie)
[/quote]

I don't see that happening. I think Whit, and the line as a whole, will improve as the season progresses.

LB...I am not bashing Dhani, but he won't last forever. Move Rey to the middle and find a stud SOLB.

OG...If we don't re-sign Bobbie then we need [b]TWO[/b] OGs for next year. Guard is actually a bigger need than LB, but we can still get one of th best OGs in the draft in the second round. So I'd rather use the first rounder on a LB.

S...We have some good ones, but I still see this as an area where we could upgrade.

CB...We have two solid starters, but with so many teams running 3 WRs in their base offense the #3 CB often plays more snaps than one of the starting LBs. Plus Joseph's foot problems just won't go away. I am really concerned about his ability to hold up in the NFL.

Corner, free safety, linebacker, and guard in that order. While neither is a first round "need", corner is our biggest need. Yes we have two young former 1st rounders in JJoe and Hall. We still have no #3. Why spend a high pick on a #3 CB? Hall and JJoe will have their contracts expire around the same time. Corners often command huge contracts and it is unlikely that the team can afford to keep both. Furthermore, JJoe has had injury issues that have hindered his last two seasons. It seems that injury has been nagging him even now. That is likely why his play is so up and down. So if we need to replace either JJoe or Hall once their contracts expire, the corner we take in 2010 will be ready to step in and start without missing a beat. It will also give us a talented #3 in the mean time that will benefit us if we make the playoffs and have to meet up with the likes of Indy or NE.

As for Safety, I think we are OK with the status quo, especially if we re-sign Roy (which I hope we do). Even if we don't, I would be OK with Duke as our starting SS. Crocker has been solid, but we can be better there. If we have a chance at a a Berry or Mays, then lets go for it.

Our LB corp is solid, but Dhani will have to be replaced. Do we move Rey to MIKE or leave him at SAM? Either way, there are two prospects that will give us flexibility to go either way. Brandon Spikes UF and Rolando McClain Bama (if he declares) would be nice picks. Both could be talented franchise middle linebackers. Both could also be excellent rush linebackers. Spikes gave Andre Smith fits in the SEC championship game last year, plus he would allow fans to dust off their old Takeo jersies (assuming Brandon donnes #51). McClain due to his height, 6'4" may be better suited outside. He is a junior, who started as a true freshman at Bama. He is the heart of their D. He is a force against the run and very solid against the pass. His size and athleticism would be a perfect match against TEs.

Like someone said earlier, our OL will settle down once Smith gets healthy and they play together more. Once Smith returns, either he, Collins, or Whit will be available to move inside. The emergence of Roland as a solid OT backup will allow for the move. That will solidify one guard spots. As for the other, Williams contract will be up soon and it is uncertain the team will keep him because of his age. While Livings and Mathis have been solid, we should look to find more talent to challenge them. If we use a first day pick on a guard prospect, I like Ciron Black out of LSU. Currently many scouts have him as a mid to late first round OT. I think once his play is scrutinized, we will see that he lacks the footwork to be a first round OT. While he may end up a solid NFL tackle, he could be an excellent guard. Another option would be Mike Johnson of Bama. He played next to Smith for much of last season and was able to fill in nicely at LT when Smith was out. He is currently Bama's RT ans is doing a fine job. His best spot is guard. Assuming Smith is our RT, Johnson would be able to work in and eventually settle at RG. That would give Smith a talent guy to work next to as well as a guy whom he already had chemistry with. Johnson should be available in round 3.

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' date='06 October 2009 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1254860442' post='812405']
Corner, free safety, linebacker, and guard in that order. While neither is a first round "need", corner is our biggest need. Yes we have two young former 1st rounders in JJoe and Hall. We still have no #3. Why spend a high pick on a #3 CB? Hall and JJoe will have their contracts expire around the same time. Corners often command huge contracts and it is unlikely that the team can afford to keep both. Furthermore, JJoe has had injury issues that have hindered his last two seasons. It seems that injury has been nagging him even now. That is likely why his play is so up and down. So if we need to replace either JJoe or Hall once their contracts expire, the corner we take in 2010 will be ready to step in and start without missing a beat. It will also give us a talented #3 in the mean time that will benefit us if we make the playoffs and have to meet up with the likes of Indy or NE.

[b]As for Safety, I think we are OK with the status quo, especially if we re-sign Roy (which I hope we do). Even if we don't, I would be OK with Duke as our starting SS. Crocker has been solid, but we can be better there. If we have a chance at a a Berry or Mays, then lets go for it.[/b]

Our LB corp is solid, but Dhani will have to be replaced. Do we move Rey to MIKE or leave him at SAM? Either way, there are two prospects that will give us flexibility to go either way. Brandon Spikes UF and Rolando McClain Bama (if he declares) would be nice picks. Both could be talented franchise middle linebackers. Both could also be excellent rush linebackers. Spikes gave Andre Smith fits in the SEC championship game last year, plus he would allow fans to dust off their old Takeo jersies (assuming Brandon donnes #51). McClain due to his height, 6'4" may be better suited outside. He is a junior, who started as a true freshman at Bama. He is the heart of their D. He is a force against the run and very solid against the pass. His size and athleticism would be a perfect match against TEs.

Like someone said earlier, our OL will settle down once Smith gets healthy and they play together more. Once Smith returns, either he, Collins, or Whit will be available to move inside. The emergence of Roland as a solid OT backup will allow for the move. That will solidify one guard spots. As for the other, Williams contract will be up soon and it is uncertain the team will keep him because of his age. While Livings and Mathis have been solid, we should look to find more talent to challenge them. If we use a first day pick on a guard prospect, I like Ciron Black out of LSU. Currently many scouts have him as a mid to late first round OT. I think once his play is scrutinized, we will see that he lacks the footwork to be a first round OT. While he may end up a solid NFL tackle, he could be an excellent guard. Another option would be Mike Johnson of Bama. He played next to Smith for much of last season and was able to fill in nicely at LT when Smith was out. He is currently Bama's RT ans is doing a fine job. His best spot is guard. Assuming Smith is our RT, Johnson would be able to work in and eventually settle at RG. That would give Smith a talent guy to work next to as well as a guy whom he already had chemistry with. Johnson should be available in round 3.
[/quote]

Barring a monumental draft slide, if either Mays or Berry are available when we pick we will have a serious need somewhere. Plus the Bengals don't typically place first round value on the position. Now, Kurt Coleman in 2 or 3 I could deal with.

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' date='06 October 2009 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1254861494' post='812410']
I'd love to have Kurt. I know his family, but would you all want him knowing that he wants to be a Steeler?
[/quote]

Makes no difference at all.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PTEr78pcs[/media]
Coleman already plays like a cheap POS Steeler, so I guess that makes sense. He's about the 10th best safety, anyway.

I still want:
Brandon Spikes (if he drops that far)
Trevard Lindley (he will drop that far)
Mike Johnson (Guard from 'Bama) or a good kicker
Javier Arenas

[quote name='Spinylumpsucker' date='06 October 2009 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1254861995' post='812413']
OK then. So how about this for shits and giggles:
1. Rolando Mclain LB
2. Travard Lindley CB
3. Kurt Coleman S
[/quote]

I'll take that right now.

But the sites I'm seeing have Lindley a first round pick. But I know it's early, a lot could change.

I'll be surprised if we go 3 rounds without drafting an offensive player though,

[quote name='#22' date='06 October 2009 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1254871604' post='812442']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-PTEr78pcs[/media]
[b]Coleman already plays like a cheap POS Steeler[/b], so I guess that makes sense. He's about the 10th best safety, anyway.

I still want:
Brandon Spikes (if he drops that far)
Trevard Lindley (he will drop that far)
Mike Johnson (Guard from 'Bama) or a good kicker
Javier Arenas
[/quote]

That is the ONLY time Coleman has ever done anything like that, and I don't think it was intentionally cheap.

[quote name='Jason' date='06 October 2009 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1254871738' post='812444']
I'll take that right now.

But the sites I'm seeing have Lindley a first round pick. But I know it's early, a lot could change.

I'll be surprised if we go 3 rounds without drafting an offensive player though,
[/quote]

Lindley, last I checked was about 177. That is a little on the scrawney side. It probably doesn't matter. He was able to handle the much larger and much athletic Julio Jones this past weekend. Still, little things like size can knock a player down a round or two.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='06 October 2009 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1254872837' post='812463']
our opponents are 8-8 currently, we account for 3 of those losses and one of the wins..
[/quote]

How is that relevant to the topic of discussion? :)

In my mock for next year, the biggest moves I have are resigning:

Roy Williams
Chris Henry
Bobbie Williams

I think Tank Johnson and Brian Leonard walk. I just see them as the ones who feel like they want to make the most money they can.

Then, I've got us trying to do the David Pollack thing over again.

So a guy like:

Eric Norwood, as a SLB. So a hybrid type.

Then WR and a RB. With a DE and TE thrown in as well.

I'm still leary of Chad, and Carson needs weapons (right now we're only 4 deep, Coles is looking old, and Simpson is looking bust-ish right now)
As to RB, you don't want to get burned by not being deep at this position.

If I'm playing GM, I extend Benson and Hall right now. Then I offer Henry a decent deal. I don't think they will redo a 33 year old Bobbie Williams deal after this season. Time to get younger at G in the draft, or find another backup guy that can step into the role like Bobbie did, I wouldn't be surprised to see us do that and still take a LT or LG depending on what falls to us. And as much as I like Joseph, the guy cant stay healthy, time to look for a replacement in the next year or two.

Archived