Injury Report

Injury update
GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 7 minutes ago

aa
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said safety Roy Williams banged his forearm and during Sunday’s 17-14 victory in Baltimore, but Chinedum Ndukwe came off the bench to play well despite his nagging hamstring injury.

Lewis wouldn’t elaborate on Williams’ status for this week against the Texans, but Williams indicated Monday he’d be OK after only getting a couple of snaps in the second half.

Along with Ndukwe Lewis also praised SAM linebacker Rey Maualuga (knee) for playing through his injury and he said defensive tackle Tank Johnson (foot) could have played Sunday but he chose to make him inactive and give him another week to rest.

Defensive end Frostee Rucker sprained his ankle Sunday, so if he can’t go against the Texans then Johnson will. They’ll get a better idea on Rucker Wednesday, as they will with running back Brian
Leonard (groin).

Quarterback Carson Palmer’s left thumb is going to be sore but he showed with the 20-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Andre Caldwell with 22 seconds left that it’s not bothering his ability to throw.

“The rest of his body is good,” Lewis said. “He’s finally getting over the ankle injury and he seems less and less bothered by it.”

SNAPPY UPDATE: It sounds like the Bengals are kicking around what to do at long snapper this week, although Lewis used diplomacy on the Brad St. Louis situation at his Monday news conference.

“He’s got to relax. There has been a common thing in a lot of these bad snaps. And we can fix that. But it’s something we’ll address as we go through,” Lewis said.

Another high snap Sunday in the 17-14 victory over the Ravens that was fielded led to another blocked field goal for the second straight week and caused the third blown field goal of the season. St. Louis also let loose with a high snap several feet over holder Kevin Huber’s head on an extra point, but a penalty against Baltimore for an illegal formation allowed the Bengals to re-kick it.

Still, a bad snap had produced two other extra-point failures this season, meaning there are 11 points the Bengals desperately could have used since the average margin of victory for them this season is four points.

[quote name='Le Tigre' date='12 October 2009 - 05:38 PM' timestamp='1255379895' post='815383']
What is up with Collins? He didn't play the whole second half yesterday (Roland played RT during that stretch).

Hurt? What?
[/quote]

I think Rolland is outplaying him...especially in the running game.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 October 2009 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1255374775' post='815325']
I wonder if they've considered bringing in a psychiatrist (or hell a hypnotist) for St. Louis?
[/quote]

I wouldn't be opposed, but hypnosis mostly works on the gullible. I'm not sure how sharp the guy is (independent of his snapping issue, of course).

Leonard has a groin injury. Guess if he can't go, then Benson would probably take the third down snaps. We know he can catch out of the backfield, but can he pass block like Leonard? If Benson is on the field on third down, then I guess Bernard Scott might rotate in more to keep Benson fresh.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='12 October 2009 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1255379949' post='815385']
I think Rolland is outplaying him...especially in the running game.
[/quote]

I will agree that Dennis was absolute nails on Sunday--totally shut down whomever was across from him.

Still..I didn't see where AC was all that bad either in the first half.

No mention of injury by anybody...so it probably is a performance thing.

St Louis is a mystery. He either just snapped (pun intended) or there's something in the blocking scheme that makes him uncomfortable that he's rushing the snaps. His punt snaps are fine where he has more time and doesn't have as much blocking responsibiltity/pressure in the middle. I may be talking out my ass, but it doesn't make sense for him to be so solid all those years and now can't get through even a half without a fucked up snap.

[quote name='Hooky' date='13 October 2009 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1255435818' post='815638']
St Louis is a mystery. He either just snapped (pun intended) or there's something in the blocking scheme that makes him uncomfortable that he's rushing the snaps. His punt snaps are fine where he has more time and doesn't have as much blocking responsibiltity/pressure in the middle. I may be talking out my ass, but it doesn't make sense for him to be so solid all those years and now can't get through even a half without a fucked up snap.
[/quote]

It is all about confidence. Miss 1 3ft putt with cash on the line and the next one is tough. Miss the next one and a 3rd is so much in your head you may be shaking.

On the radio Hawkins believes it started in the Denver game. He believes playing Denver brought back the memories from the 06 gams and his stuck with him since. I don't know that I buy that but I guess it may be possible.

In a nut shell, the first miss is no big deal ---- stuff happens. The 2nd is a "Oh my, what's going on". From that point forward it is in your head. When it is in your head ----- nothing good will happen.

[quote name='cwing' date='13 October 2009 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1255438170' post='815650']
On the radio Hawkins believes it started in the Denver game. He believes playing Denver brought back the memories from the 06 gams and his stuck with him since. I don't know that I buy that but I guess it may be possible.
[/quote]
He was botching snaps last year, too, although his failure rate has certainly increased. This is an ongoing problem that is getting worse, not better. He's had his chance to redeem himself and fix whatever the issue is. It's time for him to go.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='13 October 2009 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1255438592' post='815655']
He was botching snaps last year, too, although his failure rate has certainly increased. This is an ongoing problem that is getting worse, not better. He's had his chance to redeem himself and fix whatever the issue is. It's time for him to go.
[/quote]

true, he had high snaps last year, but I don't recall any of them costing us extra points.

Archived