Trade that would make sense Bengals T Anthony Collins for Packers DE Aaron Kampman

[b]Bengals T Anthony Collins for Packers DE Aaron Kampman[/b]

Talk about a trade that makes sense. This would solve some severe issues on both sides of the deal.

The popular Packers end, Kampman, is miscast in [b]Dom Capers[/b]' 3-4 defense. When he played end in a 4-3 -- which the Bengals play -- Kampman was a Pro Bowl player who racked up huge sack numbers. Since switching to linebacker in the 3-4, he has just one sack.

Meanwhile, the Bengals obviously find themselves in a unique position of being able to make a big run. They need help on the defensive line, pressuring the quarterback, and Kampman would bring great professionalism and class to the club. It could be a big-time, fate-changing type move for the Bengals.

As for the Packers, they are having big issues protecting quarterback [b]Aaron Rodgers[/b]. He simply does not have the time to get the ball to game-breaking receiver [b]Greg Jennings[/b], who has just 11 catches.

Jennings normally is not one to bark and howl like a T.O.[b] [/b]or [b]Chad Ochocinco[/b], but said this week, "When I'm in the meeting and I'm looking at myself running wide open and I'm not getting the opportunity, yes, I am [mad]."

Collins would be a loss to the Bengals' line, but just how big of one? The Bengals already were showing a preference to versatile second-year lineman [b]Dennis Roland[/b], rotating him with Collins. Also, underachieving first-round draft pick [b]Andre Smith[/b] is improving rapidly from the broken foot that sidelined him and apparently Bengals coaches are getting favorable reports on his conditioning.

Read more: [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/john_lopez/10/14/trades/#ixzz0Tx9BPRLj"]http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz0Tx9BPRLj[/url]

[quote name='#22' date='14 October 2009 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1255560895' post='816376']
As [i]awesome[/i] as that deal would be, one for one trades are very rare, the Packers wouldn't do it, and depth at O-line is better than depth at end.
[/quote]
Yeah I agree, I'd rather keep our depth. It's a long season yet and someone is bound to get hurt.

And since when is Andre Smith an underachiever? Don't you have to play in the games and play poorly in them against your hype in order to underachieve? He's a holdout, and injured. How does that make him an underachiever? Maybe he's a little lazy and fat, who knows?...but we haven't seen what he can do at the NFL level yet. What a dumb comment.

[quote name='#22' date='14 October 2009 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1255560895' post='816376']
As [i]awesome[/i] as that deal would be, one for one trades are very rare, the Packers wouldn't do it, and depth at O-line is better than depth at end.
[/quote]

Agree that the Packers wouldn't do it. Kampmann has close to 40 sacks over the last 3 seasons.

Disagree about the depth thing though. When Andre is ready, he will start and Roland would be a very good backup. You don't really need two backup OTs. With DEs though, you rotate guys through and I don't think you can ever have too many. Especially because no one on the Bengals has nearly the type of resume Kampmann has.

This is pretty off topic but I'll throw it out there anyway since we are talking about trades that will probably never happen.

If the Bengals beat Houston and they lose another game or two and are sitting at 2-6 or something, they may be open to trading Owen Daniels. Similar to Braylon Edwards, he is in the last year of his contract, unhappy with the team and looking for a big contract. Houston may decide that they are likely to lose him after the season and want to at least get something for him. The Bengals need a TE pretty bad and it would be awesome to get a guy who has averaged over 800 yards a season the last couple and is on pace for 1000 yards so far this year.

If they don't think they can resign him and don't see themselves in the playoff race (like the Browns), they may consider a Braylon Edwards type package. A 3rd and a 5th. Maybe throw in Anthony Collins or Chase Coffman.

[quote name='happyrid' date='14 October 2009 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1255561318' post='816388']
This is pretty off topic but I'll throw it out there anyway since we are talking about trades that will probably never happen.

If the Bengals beat Houston and they lose another game or two and are sitting at 2-6 or something, they may be open to trading Owen Daniels. Similar to Braylon Edwards, he is in the last year of his contract, unhappy with the team and looking for a big contract. Houston may decide that they are likely to lose him after the season and want to at least get something for him. The Bengals need a TE pretty bad and it would be awesome to get a guy who has averaged over 800 yards a season the last couple and is on pace for 1000 yards so far this year.

If they don't think they can resign him and don't see themselves in the playoff race (like the Browns), they may consider a Braylon Edwards type package. A 3rd and a 5th. Maybe throw in Anthony Collins or Chase Coffman.
[/quote]

Is Owen Daniels a blocker? If not, we'd be better off just playing Coffmann.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='14 October 2009 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1255561392' post='816395']
Is Owen Daniels a blocker? If not, we'd be better off just playing Coffmann.
[/quote]

I don't understand. Owen Daniels is a top 5-10 TE in the NFL. He is very good and is only 26.

Coffman can't beat out a struggling undrafted free agent (Coates) or an undrafted street free agent who showed up to camp late after being cut by another team. What makes you think Coffman would be a better option than one of the league's best guys?

[quote name='happyrid' date='14 October 2009 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1255564211' post='816436']
I don't understand. Owen Daniels is a top 5-10 TE in the NFL. He is very good and is only 26.

Coffman can't beat out a struggling undrafted free agent (Coates) or an undrafted street free agent who showed up to camp late after being cut by another team. What makes you think Coffman would be a better option than one of the league's best guys?
[/quote]

We don't play Coffman because he can't block, not because he can't catch nearly as well as Coats.
If Owen D isn't able to block, then he's not worth as much to us, because we will be telegraphing the pass
or leaving Coffman vulnerable.

We have lots of fellows who can catch a pass better than Owen Daniels already, like Chad. He can't block, tho.
We have OL who can outblock any TE out there already. For TE we someone who is a double threat.

I know little about Daniels, so I don't know his blocking skills. If he's a superb blocker, it might be worth it. If he is suspect there like a lot of pass catching TEs are, the team has historically been pretty uninterested.

The only thing we'd have working in our favor in this scenario would be the Packers desperation at oline, and to save their season. I'm sorry though, I like having depth along the line on offense, you never know when injuries can happen to more than one person (look no further than the Packers themselves) and we have plenty of depth at DE. Yeah, nobody on Kampman's level, but so what?

Can I share some vague info and not get jumped all over if it does not happen?

My source has told me that the Bengals are "In discussions to trade for a player with a prominent NFL name".....

That is all I know and he also said "It takes two to tango."

Anyways, if it is going to happen it has to be soon....the deadline is October 20th.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='14 October 2009 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1255566191' post='816447']
Can I share some vague info and not get jumped all over if it does not happen?

My source has told me that the Bengals are "In discussions to trade for a player with a prominent NFL name".....

That is all I know and he also said "It takes two to tango."

Anyways, if it is going to happen it has to be soon....the deadline is October 20th.
[/quote]

Ed Reed?

Richard Seymour?

Archived