Trade that would make sense Bengals T Anthony Collins for Packers DE Aaron Kampman

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='14 October 2009 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1255566191' post='816447']
Can I share some vague info and not get jumped all over if it does not happen?

My source has told me that the Bengals are "In discussions to trade for a player with a prominent NFL name".....

That is all I know and he also said "It takes two to tango."

Anyways, if it is going to happen it has to be soon....the deadline is October 20th.
[/quote]

interesting. I can't imagine what they'd be going after. QB, RB and WR are surely out, along with FB. Same with LB as the only weak link is Dhani but they aren't going to take his leadership out of the lineup. CB is pretty solid.

Safety could be an option if there's something their not letting on about Roy (who injured his arm again). Michael Huff maybe? Oakland has announced to the league that they are entertaining offers for anyone except their "young and talented" guys.

OL I think we're pretty set at as Mathis is playing well enough to not move Whit back and bring in a LT. We could use LT depth, but that wouldn't be a prominent NFL name.

TE I suppose could make sense, but I don't really see it happening. Coates is a solid blocker and while Foschi isn't much, they don't seem to be down on him and they certainly aren't dumping Coffman.

Could they be trading Coles for someone?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='14 October 2009 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1255567086' post='816457']
how many years does Kampman have left on his contract? That would be a huge issue, as Collins has a ton of potential.

And why do we need help on the Dline? We're 4th in the league in sacks.
[/quote]

I think the way this feature article goes, the author looks at a team he likes and tries to fix its problems by a trade. He doesn't really look at what the Bengals' needs are, just tries to give them value that won't hurt the team he likes that much. See, Green Bay has a surplus DE. Also there's no thought of issues like contracts that I can see.

Its not as silly as saying "Brad St Louis for Peyton Manning" but its not the kind of trade that gets made.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='14 October 2009 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1255567294' post='816461']
Ed Reed? Seriously? You seriously thought our in division rival who is competing to win the division would trade us the best safety in the league?
[/quote]

Never hurts to ask.

Of course I wasn't serious on that one.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='14 October 2009 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1255567416' post='816463']
interesting. I can't imagine what they'd be going after. QB, RB and WR are surely out, along with FB. Same with LB as the only weak link is Dhani but they aren't going to take his leadership out of the lineup. CB is pretty solid.

Safety could be an option if there's something their not letting on about Roy (who injured his arm again). Michael Huff maybe? Oakland has announced to the league that they are entertaining offers for anyone except their "young and talented" guys.

OL I think we're pretty set at as Mathis is playing well enough to not move Whit back and bring in a LT. We could use LT depth, but that wouldn't be a prominent NFL name.

TE I suppose could make sense, but I don't really see it happening. Coates is a solid blocker and while Foschi isn't much, they don't seem to be down on him and they certainly aren't dumping Coffman.

Could they be trading Coles for someone?
[/quote]

I was assuming we would trade picks, not a player. Or picks and scrubs like in the Braylon trade.

There's no real reason to get rid of Coles, even though we might do it - just like Smith coming in might make Collins or another OL tradeable. I'm more wondering where we need a new player badly enough to give stuff up.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='14 October 2009 - 09:55 PM' timestamp='1255568125' post='816465']
I was assuming we would trade picks, not a player. Or picks and scrubs like in the Braylon trade.

There's no real reason to get rid of Coles, even though we might do it - just like Smith coming in might make Collins or another OL tradeable. I'm more wondering where we need a new player badly enough to give stuff up.
[/quote]

If we really are looking to trade for a player, it almost has to be a TE doesn't it?

The O Line is playing well and Andre is on the way. The WRs and RBs have played well and we have great depth. That leaves only TE where the offense has underperformed. Those 2 wide open TD drops by Coates could have cost us the game and Carson looked pretty frustrated with him.

On D, every position group is playing well and there is good depth to boot. Even if Roy Williams is injured, Ndukwe has a bunch of starting experience.

As far as big name tight ends that might be available on non-contending teams, Owen Daniels still seems to me to be the most logical option. He has had contract issues with the Titans and even heldout of some activities this summer in protest.

The only other "big name" TE I can think of who is on a non-contending team is Kellen Winslow, but Tampa just traded for him.

another TE that I was thinking about Sunday night is Alge Crumpler. He's basically a better pass catching Reggie Kelly, and is actually a good friend of Reggie's too from their Atlanta days. I'm sure Tenn is willing to dump him and he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th rounder at this point in his career.

[quote name='happyrid' date='14 October 2009 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1255568725' post='816468']

The only other "big name" TE I can think of who is on a non-contending team is Kellen Winslow, but Tampa just traded for him.
[/quote]

no way they bring his personality into this locker room.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='14 October 2009 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1255568953' post='816469']
another TE that I was thinking about Sunday night is Alge Crumpler. He's basically a better pass catching Reggie Kelly, and is actually a good friend of Reggie's too from their Atlanta days. I'm sure Tenn is willing to dump him and he could probably be had for a 4th or 5th rounder at this point in his career.
[/quote]

Hmm..
Veteran leadership at a position we could use it
Likely to be pretty cheap to get (late draft picks)
Name like Alge goes well with Bengal names like Boomer, Ickey, Boobie...

[quote name='happyrid' date='14 October 2009 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1255568725' post='816468']
If we really are looking to trade for a player, it almost has to be a TE doesn't it?

As far as big name tight ends that might be available on non-contending teams, Owen Daniels still seems to me to be the most logical option. He has had contract issues with the Titans and even heldout of some activities this summer in protest.

[/quote]

The Texans are 2-3, tied for second. I'm not sure I'd be thinking of myself as non-contending quite yet in their shoes.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='14 October 2009 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1255569589' post='816476']
The Texans are 2-3, tied for second. I'm not sure I'd be thinking of myself as non-contending quite yet in their shoes.
[/quote]

True. I didn't know the deadline was next week. Still, if they lose and are 2-4, I guess there is a chance they'd make the trade.

Maybe we should be thinking of only the 1 or 2 loss teams.

I like the Alge Crumpler idea. I hadn't thought of him. He probably could be had cheap and Tennessee is done.

Randy McMichael is on St. Louis. I wouldn't really consider him a big name, but we could get him if we wanted.

I already mentioned Winslow. Doesn't make sense but Tampa is out of it.

Does Detroit have anyone other than Pettigrew?

[quote name='ccartman2' date='14 October 2009 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1255570911' post='816479']
In all seriousness, I am not for trading Coles. While he isn't catching a lot of balls yet, he has been a big improvement on the run blocking.
[/quote]

No kidding--on one of Benson's 10+ yard runs to the right, Coles blocked the corner back 20 yards. He's playing terribly at WR though.

[quote name='happyrid' date='14 October 2009 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1255568725' post='816468']
[b]If we really are looking to trade for a player, it almost has to be a TE doesn't it?[/b]

The O Line is playing well and Andre is on the way. The WRs and RBs have played well and we have great depth. That leaves only TE where the offense has underperformed. Those 2 wide open TD drops by Coates could have cost us the game and Carson looked pretty frustrated with him.

On D, every position group is playing well and there is good depth to boot. Even if Roy Williams is injured, Ndukwe has a bunch of starting experience.

[/quote]
I agree. And there's NO WAY IN HELL we are trading Coles. We just signed him and while he's underperformed in the eyes of some, he's also doing a lot of little things that make him invaluable. Plus, he's only going to get better. Carson hasn't looked all that great outside of late in games and we're not entertaining the idea of trading him, right? And isn't the supposition with him the same as with Coles...only going to improve as time goes on?

Anyway, I can maybe see some kind of trade for a TE, but I hope the Bengals don't offer too much in terms of picks. Alge Crumpler, Bubba Franks, Randy McMichael all sound good, but they are all also very OLD....and potentially injury prone.

I also agree with whomever said that the Texans aren't going to trade one of their primary weapons when they are 2-3. They are an improving team. I hope we don't take them lightly just because we are at home.

So the question becomes, if not a TE, then whom? My personal opinion is that we will stand pat with what we have, and work Chase into the games at some point. How bad can he really be? Can't he at least get in on some 4 WR sets? Surely his hands are as good as anyone's, his collegiate career is absolutely ridiculous. He's also a lot taller than our WR's except maybe Henry...can't we work him in somehow?

I vote no trade happens.

[quote name='SlantNGo' date='14 October 2009 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1255571187' post='816481']
No kidding--on one of Benson's 10+ yard runs to the right, Coles blocked the corner back 20 yards. He's playing terribly at WR though.
[/quote]
I wouldn't call it terrible, just inconsistent at this point. For as many drives as he's cost us dropping third down balls early on (especially in the Broncos game), he's made some clutch catches as well. And brings more to the table in terms of the intangibles. He'll come around. He's already better than TJ would have been in the same situation.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' date='14 October 2009 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1255563261' post='816429']
My 1st thought is, no team would trade a probowl DE who has racked up monster sacks in the prime of his career for a 2nd year average-ok tackle.
[/quote]

x2

[quote name='Bunghole' date='14 October 2009 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1255571391' post='816484']
He's already better than TJ would have been in the same situation.
[/quote]

Child Please! Coles might as well put on a ski mask and bring in a gun when he picks up his check every week because he is robbing Mike Brown.

[quote name='kdubdub' date='14 October 2009 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1255576776' post='816502']
Child Please! Coles might as well put on a ski mask and bring in a gun when he picks up his check every week because he is robbing Mike Brown.
[/quote]
I'd rather have Coles and his inferior stats at this point than ever have TJ back on this team. It's nice to be relieved of all that bitching and moaning. And he signed a Waaaaaaay overpaid contract with a team that's going nowhere and HE'S STILL BITCHING. I got real tired of his fucking mouth last season. That guy cries to the refs and anyone else whom will listen about how goddamn good he thinks he is until the cows come home. Fuck that guy. I used to think he was some kind of emotional leader, and now I think he's just a bitch.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='15 October 2009 - 12:27 AM' timestamp='1255577230' post='816507']
I'd rather have Coles and his inferior stats at this point than ever have TJ back on this team. It's nice to be relieved of all that bitching and moaning. And he signed a Waaaaaaay overpaid contract with a team that's going nowhere and HE'S STILL BITCHING. I got real tired of his fucking mouth last season. That guy cries to the refs and anyone else whom will listen about how goddamn good he thinks he is until the cows come home. Fuck that guy. I used to think he was some kind of emotional leader, and now I think he's just a bitch.
[/quote]

Now, I feel you onthe whining. TJ's attitude was not productive. Really we don't need either of them because Henry and Caldwell arebetter.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='15 October 2009 - 08:50 AM' timestamp='1255607428' post='816530']
What about Chris Cooley from the Redskins?

Dan Snyder is always ready to make deals and I would not mind raping him again in a trade.
[/quote]

His wife is also extremely attractive. A big plus... :thumbsup:

[quote name='kdubdub' date='14 October 2009 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1255578427' post='816511']
Now, I feel you on the whining. TJ's attitude was not productive. Really we don't need either of them because Henry and Caldwell are better.
[/quote]

And even worse than TJ's attitude alone, I feel he formed a clique of grumbling with Chad. Without TJ, Chad's natural gregariousness helps bring him into the team, instead of pulling him away. With TJ they could socialize with each other and leave the team out.

There was a announcer thing in some game where they said some time Chad said to Coles that he wanted more touches...Coles said hey, don't complain I only have 1 you have 4! This defused the situation instead of amplified it.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='15 October 2009 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1255629777' post='816684']
And even worse than TJ's attitude alone, I feel he formed a clique of grumbling with Chad. Without TJ, Chad's natural gregariousness helps bring him into the team, instead of pulling him away. With TJ they could socialize with each other and leave the team out.

There was a announcer thing in some game where they said some time Chad said to Coles that he wanted more touches...Coles said hey, don't complain I only have 1 you have 4! This defused the situation instead of amplified it.
[/quote]

I heard from the inside that is exactly what happened.

I heard that TJ was worse then Chad behind closed doors. He was just better at hiding it from the media.

There are a lot of people inside the organization that are glad TJ is gone, and they believe it has helped team chemistry a ton.

I just had a thought in terms of a potential "big name" TE. What about Antonio Gates? Apparently, AJ Smith in San Diego is listening to offers. I'm not sure if it was just on the defensive side of the ball, but if they go down to Denver this weekend, don't be surprised if they start moving some merchandise.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that nothing happens, but it's fun to speculate.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='15 October 2009 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1255630668' post='816694']
I just had a thought in terms of a potential "big name" TE. What about Antonio Gates? Apparently, AJ Smith in San Diego is listening to offers. I'm not sure if it was just on the defensive side of the ball, but if they go down to Denver this weekend, don't be surprised if they start moving some merchandise.

For the record, I'm of the opinion that nothing happens, but it's fun to speculate.
[/quote]
Yeah I doubt anything will happen either...but holy shit, I'd give our first rounder for Gates provided he's not a FA next year.

As mentioned above ------ we already shipped one Dlineman to the OL. Geathers isn't going to the bench and neither is Odoms. Johnson will continue to get snaps. JFan is also in the rotation and Rucker at times has been their best dlineman. At least for a stretch last season he was.

Smith is a 350+lber with an issue with one of his wheels. Guys that big can have issues with legs/feet linger. He also has NEVER/EVER played an NFL snap. Although he may be rotating ---- Collins is the starting RT on this team and not Roland at this time and you can NEVER have enough depth of the oline.

Having Collins not only provides depth at T, he also provides depth at G --------- I do not know if Collins can play G but he can play LT and Whit could be moved to G. Honestly, if a guard goes down -------- are you really sold on Livings?

Collins struggles at run blocking. Collins excels in pass blocking --------- isn't this the MO for a LT?

Archived