T.J. says Bengals offer was "very, very close"

[quote name='bgwilly31' date='21 October 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1256145796' post='819324']
Long term success was FAILED because of the carsons injury. Not egos. Our players had earned the right to have big ego's. imo they were the best team in the NFL that year if not for carsons injury we would have won the ship.
[/quote]

Explain please ------- the 06 Bengals started 3-0 with a win on the road at Pitt. Justin Smith was called for a roughing the passer penalty on a sack against TB. This penalty was on 3rd down and may have been one of the worst calls in history........ This lead to a scoring drive. I believe the one that won the game. If that call does not happen the 06 Bengals are in the playoffs.

If Brad St Louis does not mess up the snap in Denver ----- Graham likely makes kick and playoffs.

Next up Pitt ------- Graham misses kick that offically knocks this team out of playoffs and a 8-8 record. All 3 of these go our way and we were 11-5 and in the dance.

I fail to see how the Carson injury lead to the downfall. I'm not buying it without explantion. Attitude, and a lack of actively and agressively filling needs had more to do with the teams failures than Carsons injury.

Those that also believe the downfall of this team was the reported Chad blow up at half time. For the same reasons as above ------ hogwash.

Back to 05 ------- loved the team. They should have beaten Pitt but would have gone on the road to Indy. The chances of us beating them was not very good. Fairly equal offenses but the Indy D was far better than the Cincy D. Indy had beaten us in a shoot out late in the season. With tournovers anything could have happen ----- however, us beating Indy would have been a huge upset.

[quote name='scharm' date='21 October 2009 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1256152630' post='819356']
Marvin backed TJ publically. The Front Office tried to resign. Both are facts. Get over it.

Don't you remember Marvin dropping the bomb to a Philly media outlet prior to Free Agency that they wouldn't get a chance to sign TJ?

There's more evidence to suggest TJ makes this team better with him than without. Sorry.
[/quote]

And also ripped him at the Coles presser. Not by name but it was not hard to figure out whom he was refering to.

He also ripped him for his fake preseason injury.

[quote name='cwing' date='21 October 2009 - 10:28 PM' timestamp='1256174900' post='819437']
And also ripped him at the Coles presser. Not by name but it was not hard to figure out whom he was refering to.
[/quote]

Yeah after the contract offer didn't work. Fans would be licking TJ's butt right now if he had sign. We all know it. Why pretend it would be different?

He would be producing more than Coles, this offense would be better.

Get over it. He left. Doesn't make him an all time cancer.

[quote name='scharm' date='22 October 2009 - 09:24 AM' timestamp='1256214292' post='819504']
Yeah after the contract offer didn't work. Fans would be licking TJ's butt right now if he had sign. We all know it. Why pretend it would be different?

He would be producing more than Coles, [b]this offense would be better. [/b]

Get over it. He left. Doesn't make him an all time cancer.
[/quote]

slightly. Team chemistry would be worse and the team wouldn't be as mentally tough, and likely not be able to comeback in games like they have.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='22 October 2009 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1256216740' post='819517']
slightly. Team chemistry would be worse and the team wouldn't be as mentally tough, and likely not be able to comeback in games like they have.
[/quote]

Eh, I'm taking TJ over Coles. Will continue to do so until Coles produces consistently. The come backs have been necessary not because of faulty defense but because of missed opportunities caused by the offense. Penalties, drops, timing issues.

So who's to say the come backs would have been necessary? All subjective. Too many 3 and outs to not miss TJ right now. He was first down machine. Too many TE fuck up in the area of the field were TJ excelled not to miss him.

The Coles vs. was arguement within the first few weeks of the season. It's week 7 coming up, there's enough play to base a reasonable conclusion. At this point I wish TJ was back.

Everyone knows if he never left every fan claiming he's a cancer would be pimping him as "the best WR on this team". That was never true, but you know people would be saying it.

Forget TJ. Coles has been so far off the radar in the early going that 2003 Peter Warrick can be seen as an upgrade. How many consecutive 3 and outs and lost quarters from the offense do people need to see in order to realize what TJ brought?

[quote name='scharm' date='22 October 2009 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1256217384' post='819520']
Eh, I'm taking TJ over Coles. Will continue to do so until Coles produces consistently. The come backs have been necessary not because of faulty defense but because of missed opportunities caused by the offense. Penalties, drops, timing issues.

So who's to say the come backs would have been necessary? All subjective. Too many 3 and outs to not miss TJ right now. He was first down machine. Too many TE fuck up in the area of the field were TJ excelled not to miss him.

The Coles vs. was arguement within the first few weeks of the season. It's week 7 coming up, there's enough play to base a reasonable conclusion. At this point I wish TJ was back.

Everyone knows if he never left every fan claiming he's a cancer would be pimping him as "the best WR on this team". That was never true, but you know people would be saying it.

Forget TJ. Coles has been so far off the radar in the early going that 2003 Peter Warrick can be seen as an upgrade. How many consecutive 3 and outs and lost quarters from the offense do people need to see in order to realize what TJ brought?
[/quote]

Not me. I had enough of him back in 07 when he was benched against Pitt for not being able to control himself and again when Chad was getting critizied for sitting by himself on the bench in SF ----- Opps wait, everyone forget the guy sitting RIGHT NEXT to him was Tj. Let's not forget the fake injury in camp.

Coles has not yet produced much in the passing game. However, he has produced as a blocker and is a former pro bowler. I am not certain he is still not a pro bowler as this offense has changed. You may argue that the O would not have changed if Tj had resigned. However, I believe Marvin ahs wanted to change and would ahve changed the offense anyway as coming off last season was the time to do it. Our TE had averaged 35-40 catches a season. We threw to the TE something like 15X last week. This has more to do with the different offense we are running than Coles.

Those things said ----- I agree 100%. He's gone and it's time to move on.

• 8 years later...
On 10/21/2009 at 9:12 AM, Farbeyonddriven said:

He is definitely his biggest fan. Glad we got rid of him, he was/is becoming such a douchebag.

He always hated the Stealers, and he was always fired up to play them!

My point why I responded to this thread is to show the hate TJ had for the Stealers, and his willingness to confront the Stealers in their faces and not be intimidated during the game. That is what we need tonight, not only from the defense but the offense, too! We need everyone to become their own TJ. 

10 hours ago, Rick said:

My point why I responded to this thread is to show the hate TJ had for the Stealers, and his willingness to confront the Stealers in their faces and not be intimidated during the game. That is what we need tonight, not only from the defense but the offense, too! We need everyone to become their own TJ. 

Didn't TJ kneel during the anthem while wiping his bare ass with a terrible towel that one time? What a conundrum for you that must be.

Why would we be mad at a guy that wanted off the Bengals?  They know they aren't going to win as long as they are on this team.  Mike Brown.  Marvin.  Need I go on? 

I respect the years and effort a guy like TJ gives to Cincinnati, but I also understand why they want to go. 

I'm rooting for Whitworth and the Rams or Zimmer and the Vikes to win the Super Bowl.  Those guys deserve it.

Archived