In Marvin We Still Trust [by] Chick Ludwig

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marvin be given an extension ?

• Yes, give him one NOW !
    • Yes, at the end of this season regardless of what happens
    • Yes, only if we make the playoffs this year
    • Yes, but only if we WIN the Superbowl this season
    • Yes, but after next season and only if we make the playoffs in both years
    • No, regardless what happens
  2. 2. Do you hope Marvin coaches here for years to come ?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
  3. 3. Marvin Lewis =

• Great coach ... He's the BlackJesus
    • Good coach
    • Average coach
    • Below average coach
    • Bad coach
    • Black Shula

[quote][b][size="4"]In Marvin We Still Trust[/size]
by Chick Ludwig
October 28, 2009[/b]

There’s no better time than the Cincinnati Bengals’ bye week to examine an important issue.

This topic is lukewarm right now, holding steady on the club’s back burner, but it’s going to get hot-Hot-HOT at some point.

We’re talking about head coach Marvin Lewis’ future here in the Queen City.

[b]The Marvinator’s contract expires at the end of the 2010 season[/b], and I propose that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Plus One — Mike Brown, Pete Brown, Paul H. Brown,. Troy Blackburn and Katie Blackburn — get an extension done with The Marvelous One A.S.A.P.

That probably won’t happen, of course. They likely want to see how the remainder of the 2009 season unfolds before making any decision.

I’m asked all the time what I think will happen to Marvin, and this is my response.

If the Bengals make the playoffs this season or next, Lewis will get an extension.

Or at least he’ll be offered an extension. A “roll-over” may even be automatic if the club takes a ride on the playoff rainbow in 2009 or 2010.

However, if the Bengals don’t reach the postseason in ‘09 or ‘10, Marvin’s contract will simply expire and the Brown family will begin searching for a new king.

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer is a head coach in waiting, but we all know how Mike Brown loves offense. So don’t rule out University of Cincinnati head coach Brian Kelly.

The reason I bring the extension issue up now is because this season marks the best coaching job in Marvin’s seven seasons.

He has the Bengals going in the right direction and it’s always painful to change course.

[b]Marvin’s regular-season record is 51-51-1.[/b] He needs four victories to tie Paul Brown (55-59-1) and he’s 13 victories behind Sam Wyche (64-68).

Not everything has been smooth sailing. Fifteen arrests involving 10 players in a 19-month span from Dec. 2005 to June 2007 bloodied the franchise’s image. But that’s ancient history now, thank goodness (and knock on wood).

Let’s face it: [b]Marvin’s resume includes an AFC North championship (2005) and he coached five years without experiencing a losing season (2003-07)[/b] — the club’s longest streak since a six-year span from 1972-77.

[b]And we all know what life was like pre-Marvin. There was Dave Shula (19-52), Bruce Coslet (21-39) and Dick LeBeau.(12-33).[/b]

I say Marvin should stay. Sign him up. [b]Get the deal done.[/b] Move forward. Obviously and so forth. And that’s a good thing.[/quote]

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/10/28/in-marvin-we-still-trust/

[b]Everyone here already knows how I feel ...[/b]

[center][img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/Guerrilla/86.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j318/Tredcrow/Guerrilla/BlackJesusSIGSIG.gif[/img][/center]

[size="2"][quote][i]Since August, 2002, Marvin Lewis has also been affectionately referred to as "Black Jesus" by Bengals players and fans. "No sacrilege intended, but he is resurrecting this franchise," said former cornerback Artrell Hawkins in 2003. This name has garnered some national recognition and ESPN The Magazine in a January, 2005 article by writer Tom Friend even referred to him, not by his given name, but as "Black Jesus". In that same article, former Bengals running back Corey Dillon said, "You've got your Black Jesus, I'm your Judas, why hold me hostage? Set me free."[/i]
http://en.allexperts.com/e/m/ma/marvin_lewis.htm
[/quote][/size]

[quote name='GoBengals' date='28 October 2009 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1256791139' post='821522']
wasnt chick saying they should can marvin for the part few years....?
[/quote]

And why does that shitbag [b]continue[/b] to bring up the arrests from 3 fucking years ago?

Here is the regular season coaching records for all of the Bengals coaches according to the AP....

Paul Brown (1968-1975) 55-56-1

Bill "Tiger" Johnson (1976-1978) 18-15

Homer Rice (1978-1979) 8-19

Forrest Gregg (1980-1983) 32-25

Sam Wyche (1984-1991) 61-66

David Shula (1992-1996) 19-52

Bruce Coslet (1996-2000) 21-39

Dick LeBeau (2000-2002) 12-33

Marvin Lewis (2003-Present) 51-50-1

Archived