Would you call me a "bandwagon" fan?

MULLY

6 members have voted

1. 1. Am I bandwagon Reds fan?

Ok, someone accused me of being a "bandwagon" fan of the Reds. Here's my situation.

I have almost zero interest in baseball. It's slow and boring. I like to play it and I don't mind going to the stadium to watch, but you will almost never catch me watching a ball game on TV unless it's the only thing on at the time. I don't have any baseball fan gear, although I would like to have a couple of jersey's. The jersey's I would like to have are

1. Cincinnati Reds - because they're my hometown team
2. Cleveland Indians - because I like the Indian design on the shirts
3. Atlanta Braves - because, same as Cleveland, I like the design.

As far as the Reds go, meh, I couldn't give a shit less if they're winning or losing. Now, with that said, if they are doing good and headed for a World Series I WILL SUPPORT THEM AND HOPE THEY DO WELL. That doesn't mean that I'll be talking about the Reds at the water cooler or running out to outfit myself in Reds gear. Hell, I won't even watch the games, again, unless it's the only thing on TV.....and I'm sure I can find something else. But, since they are my hometown team I will hope they do well. Other than that though.....yeah, I don't really care.

Personally, I don't think I'm a bandwagoner.
MULLY

My thoughts on bandwagoning...

When a team wins something, a team you root for, you are going to get the happiness and excitement out of based how much you put into it. Not talking about money or time, im talking about how much heart you put into it.

If the reds win the world series it sounds like you would be a little happy and glad they did, but you wouldnt get nearly the excitement that I or some of the other reds die hard fans for life would get out of it. Ive been watching as many reds games as I can my whole life and if they won the world series I would go nuts and be probably the happiest Ive ever been in my whole life. However, when they lose year in and year out I also get upset and stuff whereas you probably couldnt care less.

For instance with the bengals, guys that have watched this team year in and year out be miserable, if we go on and win the Super Bowl this year we will all be estatic, and realize all the pains and suffering we had to go through as a bengals fan was worth it to get to that moment. However, people that just jump on the bandwagon this year or in 2005 or whenever, while they might pretend they are as happy as us, they really wont have the same sort of happiness and excitement that those of us that have been rooting for the bengals our whole life have.

So yeah, bandwagon fans can pretend all they want, but when your team wins the world series or superbowl you are gonna be as excited and happy as you were sad and upset when they lost year in and year out.

You get what you put in.

If the Reds won the World Series I don't think I'd be all that excited about them winning as much as I'd be "Look at what the team from my hometown did" type thing. I've been with the Reds as far back as the 70's. On more than one occasion my grandpa took me down to Riverfront Stadium and sat me over the dugout and I got to meet and get things signed by the likes of Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion, Ken Griffey, George Foster etc... I was there to see The Big Red Machine in action. I really liked baseball as a kid. I grew out of it though.

To me, a bandwagon fan is someone that disses the team when they're down and then rides the wave when they're hot. For me, I don't diss the Reds, I just don't care about baseball. I like the Reds just fine, I just don't follow them. I don't get emotional when they lose. Of course I would like for them to have all winning seasons, again, hometown pride, but honestly couldn't care less if they don't. With that said, I've never in my life said that the Reds suck or that I hate them. I mean c'mon, I grew up watching that team, they're my team......if I root for baseball that is.
MULLY
wish I had a George Foster jersey...............#15

[quote name='Fulcher_33' date='13 November 2009 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1258148921' post='826815']
If the Reds won the World Series I don't think I'd be all that excited about them winning as much as I'd be "Look at what the team from my hometown did" type thing. I've been with the Reds as far back as the 70's. On more than one occasion my grandpa took me down to Riverfront Stadium and sat me over the dugout and I got to meet and get things signed by the likes of Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Dave Concepcion, Ken Griffey, George Foster etc... I was there to see The Big Red Machine in action. I really liked baseball as a kid. I grew out of it though.

[b]To me, a bandwagon fan is someone that disses the team when they're down and then rides the wave when they're hot.[/b] For me, I don't diss the Reds, I just don't care about baseball. I like the Reds just fine, I just don't follow them. I don't get emotional when they lose. Of course I would like for them to have all winning seasons, again, hometown pride, but honestly couldn't care less if they don't. With that said, I've never in my life said that the Reds suck or that I hate them. I mean c'mon, I grew up watching that team, they're my team......if I root for baseball that is.
MULLY
wish I had a George Foster jersey...............#15
[/quote]

thats almost exactly my gauge as well.

everyone sucks and everyone needs fired when they lose a few, team sucks everyone sucks.... when they are good they are the best ever and everyone is the best ever..

thats a badnwagon fan..

im the same with the Reds.. i evn had a 20 game pack of season tickets a few years.. i enjoy the atmosphere.. but if they lose im not upset, hell there are 161 more games..

but it was mostly something to do with the wife and first son to get out and about..

15 minutes down the road.. pretty cheap overall.. cool to see a homerun or good play.. but if they went 1-161 or 162-0 i wouldnt really know the difference...

id probably go to playoff games, but i just like gameday atmospheres for almost any sport..

• 1 month later...
I consider myself a bandwagon Reds fan. I like them. I root for them. I can ignore them. I try to go to at least a couple games but I find myself only going when tickets are given to me.

I do love the ball park in the Summer. I own a Reds hat, but would love to have a Reds throwback.

Bandwagon fans dont exist. Its a term people throw around cause they think theyre a better fan than someone else because theyve been a fan longer. No one is gonna talk shit when their team blows, so its not a coincidence fans start talking and showing up when the team starts winning. Woooo Reds, .500 this year?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived