Larry Johnson is a Bengal

[quote name='StrengthOfFates' date='16 November 2009 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1258400349' post='828906']
Here's why I am concerned about this: We all know that Ced has been awesome here - however, there's no denying that Ced also has a bit of an ego. I am worried that this is going to put a bad taste in Ced's mouth and it could cause problems between the two. We all know LJ has ego issues too....

Just sayin....
[/quote]

Its clear that Marvin spoke with Ced. Ced was given his chance thanks to this org. You know he is greatful for that. I just find it silly that bringing in LJ would make him feel replaced. No-one ever said that was the case. Why are people trying to make this assumption? This is a great move in prep for the playoffs. Marvin has stated that if signed he will remain inactive. Its a insurance move for the playoffs. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

As for the past... Please. Every player on the team has a past. Cut Rucker... He has shown violence towards women. No need to mention Chris Henry. We aren't hiring for the ministry.

Cincinnati Bengals
Johnson to visit Bengals, hasn't signed

By C. Trent Rosecrans, CNATI.com Posted November 16, 2009 2:38 PM ET

Marvin Lewis said the Bengals have not signed free agent running back Larry Johnson, despite reports to the contrary. However, Johnson is scheduled for a visit this week, Lewis said.

Lewis said he spoke to Johnson last week.

"I wanted to visit with him about his future and made things pretty clear to him about if there were an opportunity here, what it would be," Lewis said. "It would have zero effect on Cedric Benson, Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard. I'm very happy with what they're doing and their roles and would like to see Bernard's role continue to expand as it did yesterday.

"But if we did indeed choose to bring Larry here to visit and spend some time with him, and me to judge him both on the field here with us and see what he can do that way, and we did decide to go forward, that that's what his role would be, to be a fourth running back and as an opportunity as a back-up player on this football team doing all the things that backup players do - and that's working their tail off in the kicking game and giving looks. And then he'd be an insurance policy if something would happen down the line to one of our guys, where he'd have a chance to be active, but I couldn't foresee him being active when he first got here if this does happen. That's what I told him."

Lewis said he's talked to Benson about the possibility of signing Johnson, the former All-Pro with the Chiefs. Benson left Sunday's game with a hip injury.

"Obviously, this (with Johnson) was already underway last week," Lewis said. "So Cedric's (injury) on this had no effect on this."

Lewis said Benson has a chance to play this week.

"He'll have an opportunity to play this week, he's got an abductor strain, what he had last week a little bit," Lewis said. "He obviously aggravated it early in the football game and we were able to get him shut down. He really doesn't feel much worse for the wear. I think he has an opportunity this week. We'll be real cautious this week with him and as we approach the game, if he's not healthy, he'd probably not go. We'll see how he is as we go through the week and we'll see if he can make a comeback."

As for Johnson, he'd join a backfield with Benson, who has been one of the league's top running backs this season, the promising rookie Scott and Leonard, who has made several big third down plays this season in his role as the team's third-down back.

Johnson has a reputation as a malcontent and an unpopular figure in his own locker room. That's a similar situation as Benson carried when the Bengals signed him as a free agent last season.

"We would judge him on his future, not his past," Lewis said. "We judge him from that way forward. I told him and I told Ced, I think you could help him with that, you could validate that."

Scott said he had heard rumors of a Johnson signing and would be fine with it if it happened.

"I think it's all part of the business, if they feel like they need to bring someone else it, I'm not going to let it affect the way I prepare for games," Scott said.

Scott said he didn't think it would bother the balance in the locker room if Johnson joined the team.

"I think it'd be fine," Scott said. "We're winning, we're happy. Personally, I don't know him, so I don't want to say anything."

I just don't understand this unless Benson is going to be out longer than they are saying. Leonard is the 3rd down guy and Scott is returning kickoffs now. I dont see how you can activate Johnson over either one of them unless Benson doesnt play. And all this for a guy who has averaged less than 3 yards a carry and has had all kinds of problems off the field. This whole thing worries me especially at a time when everything seemed to be clicking

[quote name='NateDawg' date='16 November 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1258401673' post='828918']
I just don't understand this unless Benson is going to be out longer than they are saying. Leonard is the 3rd down guy and Scott is returning kickoffs now. I dont see how you can activate Johnson over either one of them unless Benson doesnt play. And all this for a guy who has averaged less than 3 yards a carry and has had all kinds of problems off the field. This whole thing worries me especially at a time when everything seemed to be clicking
[/quote]

Marvin is saying he won't do that. Johnson plays only if Cedric can't for other reasons.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='16 November 2009 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1258401042' post='828914']
I don't hate it, but I'm not loving it either. I hope that they've talked to Ced about this. If he's cool with it, than viewing the signing as a depth stabilizer for a deep playoff push, I'm cool with it.
[/quote]

I love the avatar.

:headbang:

[quote name='NateDawg' date='16 November 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1258401673' post='828918']
[/quote]

Look up Bensons YPC before he came here, thx.

[quote name='#22' date='16 November 2009 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1258400198' post='828905']
Christ you're dumb. What a difference a week makes, huh?

Anyway, I agree with Who Dey Forever's original sentiments. Not his new ones.
This is a bad, bad move. The big differences with Ced are as follows:

1.) Ced was 25 when we signed him; Larry is 29 now.
2.) Ced had no history of violent crimes against women; Larry does.
3.) Ced never openly questioned the authority of coaches. Larry has done it twice now.
4.) We are 7-2 and bringing this douche in. Last year was much different.
5.) Why let the media tee off on us again for being a team of thugs? You just [i]know[/i] this is going to happen.
[/quote]

I made that post before Cedric got hurt. Who's the dumb one?

[quote name='gatorclaws' date='16 November 2009 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1258403487' post='828933']
Marvin just said if we do sign LJ, he will be inactive whenever the others are healthy. That makes me like the idea more.
[/quote]

I'd imagine until he beats Leonard or Scott out, which would make it an even better move if he does.

Interesting situation. As long as Larry doesn't make a stink, I'm okay with this. If Cedric needs to rest the hip, Larry will come in handy. Otherwise, having Larry doing scout team duties with 3 AFC West teams (including his Chiefs) still on the schedule should be a good thing.

[quote name='turningpoint' date='16 November 2009 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1258404291' post='828944']
Look at Corey Dillon's age when he went to New England, and Curtis Martin's when he was with the jets, thx.
[/quote]

Corey was 29
Curtis Martin was 27

Larry Jonson will be 30 next week

Curtis Martin was a better comparison as he went to the Jets in '98 when he was 27 much in the way Cedric did here.

Corey had one good year with them, I highly doubt Johnson does here.

Hope I'm wrong.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='16 November 2009 - 04:57 PM' timestamp='1258405027' post='828951']
I must admit when I first heard of this I wasnt too thrilled, but after reading the article below it makes me feel a lot better about it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bengals-larryjohnson&prov=ap&type=lgns
[/quote]

God I love Marvin.

Archived