Larry Johnson is a Bengal

ESPN's Michael Smith reporting (32 mins ago):
Linky: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4660283
[quote][b]Bengals-Johnson union imminent?[/b]
November 16, 2009, 1:24 PM ET

Former Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson was en route to Cincinnati on Monday and, barring a last-minute breakdown, he expects to sign with the AFC North-leading Bengals, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN's Michael Smith.

A deal, if consummated, is expected to be for the prorated league minimum.

The Bengals, along with several other teams, first expressed interest in Johnson last week as depth behind Cedric Benson, who suffered a hip injury in Sunday's 18-12 victory at Pittsburgh.

If Johnson learns the offense quickly, it stands to reason he could be active for the Bengals on Sunday against the Raiders.

The Chiefs released Johnson last Monday, the day he was due back from his second (two-week) suspension in the past 12 months. His last brush with controversy came two weeks ago when he posted on his Twitter account a gay slur, insulted followers and questioned the competence of head coach Todd Haley.

Since rushing for a team-record 1,789 yards on an NFL-record 416 carries in 2006, Johnson was never quite the same in Kansas City.

In 2008, then-coach Herm Edwards benched him for three straight games for violating team rules and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him a fourth game for violating the league's player conduct policy.

Johnson was later sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace. One woman accused him of throwing a drink on her and another said he had pushed her head at a Kansas City night spot.

After his huge year in '06, Johnson stayed away from training camp, demanding more money and he got it, a six-year deal worth $45 million, including $19 million guaranteed.

But hampered by a foot injury, he wound up with only 559 yards and three touchdowns. In 2008, he ran for 874 yards as the Chiefs sank to 2-14. Still, Johnson was only 75 yards away from breaking Priest Holmes' team rushing record when the team let him go.

[i]Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.[/i][/quote]

The article addresses Johnson's problems, and answers questions posed in the last few posts here to this thread.

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' date='16 November 2009 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1258396850' post='828848']
I don't understand though, if Ced is healthy who is deactivated sundays? We need Scott cause he has the speed and moves that Benson and Johnson do not have, and he returns kicks. Leonard is Mr. Clutch on 3rd and 4th down. So wtf are we supposed to do?

I don't really see the point in this especially since Benson's injury is not very serious at all.
[/quote]

Johnson will be inactive for some time i think. I don't think he comes right in and contributes. I hope he can, but not likely. He will sit back on learn the playbook. I remember reading that MB was interested in Johnson before Benson got hurt. This was a playoff move. Listening to ESPN, they call this a genius move and said the same thing, that he will come in and learn and be ready for a strong push at the end of the season and in the playoffs! WHO-DEY this gets me excited, also some are now saying this has the making of the deepest and best backfield in NFL.

[quote name='thejungle05' date='16 November 2009 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1258398015' post='828869']
Johnson will be inactive for some time i think. I don't think he comes right in and contributes. I hope he can, but not likely. He will sit back on learn the playbook. I remember reading that MB was interested in Johnson before Benson got hurt. This was a playoff move. Listening to ESPN, they call this a genius move and said the same thing, that he will come in and learn and be ready for a strong push at the end of the season and in the playoffs! WHO-DEY this gets me excited, also some are now saying this has the making of the deepest and best backfield in NFL.
[/quote]

I suppose another point in his favor is we may not need for him to have 5 yards a carry to have him be worth it to us, just be a threat to pick up 3 or 4 and keep the D honest so we can open up the passing lanes. And if he runs hard, he may be fine for that or more.

I can't believe people think Larry Johnson would be a distraction.

He's signing with a 7-2 football team, and getting damn near his last chance to prove he can be a probowl RB again. We all know damn good and well he's going to play his ass off and be a solid citizen. I bet he can't wait to come play for us and tear it up.

I honestly think of him as Randy Moss/Corey Dillon.

He will be a monster. It's not going to be fun come January going vs Gandmama and Benson.

I like the move. All the dominant running games in the league have two+ starting-quality backs. With LJ we will have two plus either B. Scott or Leonard active on gameday, depending on the game plan. I love Scott returning kicks but not at the cost of a bolstered run game and a durable back to spell Ced.

[quote name='Orange 'n Black' date='16 November 2009 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1258398365' post='828874']
I like the move. All the dominant running games in the league have two+ starting-quality backs. With LJ we will have two plus either B. Scott or Leonard active on gameday, depending on the game plan. I love Scott returning kicks but not at the cost of a bolstered run game and a durable back to spell Ced.
[/quote]

Scott will dress. He's the starting KR.
We may sit a lineman to compensate.

I think with these type of athletes a guys attitude can change in a nano second. You take a guy from a team that is just terrible where he feels he is so much better than everyone else and put him on a winning team that is going toward the post season and surround him with guys like Carson, Chad, Coles, and Whit and I bet he will be just fine. He will have a good qb and line and for a back thats all you can ask for. I think he wil be fine.

[quote name='Oldcat' date='16 November 2009 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1258398486' post='828876']
Scott will dress. He's the starting KR.
We may sit a lineman to compensate.
[/quote]

more likely leonard (I can't see us going light on the oline). Honestly, I wouldn't expect him and Benson to dress together every game.

Also, one big thing I noticed Sunday is that many times Scott was in there on 3rd down instead of Leonard. Could he have passed Leonard on the depth chart?

[quote name='thejungle05' date='16 November 2009 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1258399013' post='828885']
I guess Chad is tweeting that the LJ signing might not happen. Can someone with a twitter account check chad's tweets and see exactly what he is saying. My buddy called me and told me this, not much faith in what he says because he is against the signing. I sure hope that he is wrong.
[/quote]
How do you know he's agains the signing? did he tell you?

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' date='16 November 2009 - 02:39 PM' timestamp='1258396760' post='828845']
Ehh I dislike it and don't see why they couldn't just give Leonard more carries. Also Larry Johnson hasn't been good since 2005.

Looks like practice fodder with the slight possibility of being a quality backup for the late stretch.
[/quote]

x2

hope im wrong about him, (and im not talking about the stupid twitter thing) but I doubt it

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' date='16 November 2009 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1258395720' post='828823']
Why? His twitter thing was blown way out of proportion and really the only thing he has done wrong his whole career.
[/quote]
hahahaha. Nope.

From WIKI:
Johnson has been arrested four times since 2003 on various assault charges against women. In 2003, he was arrested for felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor domestic battery for waving a gun at his then-girlfriend, during an argument at his home. The charges were dropped when Johnson agreed to participate in a domestic violence diversion program. In 2005, he was again arrested for assault when a woman accused Johnson of pushing her to the ground, but the case was dropped after the alleged victim failed to appear in court for three different hearings.

His third arrest for assault came on February 24, 2008, after allegedly pushing a woman's head at a nightclub that night. On October 10, 2008, Johnson was arrested for the fourth time and charged with one count of non-aggravated assault for allegedly spitting a drink in a woman's face at a Kansas City nightclub on October 11. The woman involved, Ashley Stewart, has since filed a civil suit against Johnson, accusing him of negligence, assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

It was announced on October 16, 2008 that Johnson would be deactivated for the October 19 game against the Tennessee Titans in response to violating an undisclosed team rule. The team said his suspension for this game was unrelated to the newest criminal investigation.

In March 2009 Johnson pleaded guilty to the two incidents in 2008 and was sentenced to two years probation.

He has also acted like a huge bitch, and he got Dick Vermeil fired and started the Chiefs current skid.

More updated info that clears up why the Bengals would bring him in:

CinBengalsNFL

But lewis says if he signs it would be only as a fourth back for insurance

LanceMcAlister

marin....i told lj we'd judge him on present not past. We have not agreed on a deal...ge would be insurance

CinBengalsNFL

Lewis says it has no affect on benson scott or leonard and that if do sign him he d be inactive 23 minutes ago from txt

CinBengalsNFL

Lewis says he has talked to benson and assured him his role won t change

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' date='09 November 2009 - 08:47 PM' timestamp='1257814027' post='825220']
He's not needed here.
[/quote]
Christ you're dumb. What a difference a week makes, huh?

Anyway, I agree with Who Dey Forever's original sentiments. Not his new ones.
This is a bad, bad move. The big differences with Ced are as follows:

1.) Ced was 25 when we signed him; Larry is 29 now.
2.) Ced had no history of violent crimes against women; Larry does.
3.) Ced never openly questioned the authority of coaches. Larry has done it twice now.
4.) We are 7-2 and bringing this douche in. Last year was much different.
5.) Why let the media tee off on us again for being a team of thugs? You just [i]know[/i] this is going to happen.

Archived