Larry Johnson is a Bengal

[quote name='bgwilly31' date='17 November 2009 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1258474177' post='829375']
i would rather oakland be his first start. See how he does, and give Benson an extra week rest.
[/quote]

I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. He doesn't know the playbook yet and he has to block too.

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] [url=""] [/url] So Larry Johnson gets $4 million Chiefs owed him AND veteran minimum Bengals will pay him AND chance to play for contender. He did all right
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/5799363556"]less than a minute ago [/url]from web

[quote name='turningpoint' date='17 November 2009 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1258475198' post='829385']
John Clayton stated at espn.com that Marvin said Johnson has no chance of seeing the field vs the Raiders. He'll be one of the inactives.
[/quote]

I say 3 games before he's even close to being ready and Anderson will have his hands full coaching him up on our system. The good news is he's a vet so it won't take as long as a rookie.

[quote name='turningpoint' date='17 November 2009 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1258475198' post='829385']
John Clayton stated at espn.com that Marvin said Johnson has no chance of seeing the field vs the Raiders. He'll be one of the inactives.
[/quote]

I would say that depends on how bad Benson's injury really is.

[quote name='Jeb' date='17 November 2009 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1258475376' post='829387']
I say 3 games before he's even close to being ready and Anderson will have his hands full coaching him up on our system. The good news is he's a vet so it won't take as long as a rookie.
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Benson saw the field as
soon as he signed. And he never had a Training Camp or anything.
LJ did, and has played in NFL games this season.

Could it be that they are delaying the announcement because they do not want to yet announce the resulting roster move? Wait until later in the day when teams rosters are more or less set? (Monday/Tuesday are the days teams generally look at adding players).

Perhaps they are trying to sneak someone through waivers...and add them later to the PS?

I don't have a clue who...merely speculating.

[quote name='bgwilly31' date='17 November 2009 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1258474177' post='829375']
i would rather oakland be his first start. See how he does, and give Benson an extra week rest.
[/quote]

I think he'll dress against Oakland, but only get a few carries as Leonard and Scott do most of the dirty work.

[quote name='turningpoint' date='17 November 2009 - 12:38 PM' timestamp='1258475925' post='829393']
Yeah i think Simpson, purify or Vakpuna go.

i think the odds are vakpuna, because Leonard can apparently play FB if need be.
[/quote]

I think they let Orien Harris go. No one's going to pick him up, plus Jeremi's pretty banged up so I doubt they want to let Vakapuna go.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='17 November 2009 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1258475568' post='829389']
I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Benson saw the field as
soon as he signed. And he never had a Training Camp or anything.
LJ did, and has played in NFL games this season.
[/quote]

From what I take from what Marvin has said, ...they'll take their time and coach him up to our system, ...IMO (unless its a stone-cold emergency and benson is out).

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='17 November 2009 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1258476010' post='829395']
I think they let Orien Harris go. No one's going to pick him up, plus Jeremi's pretty banged up so I doubt they want to let Vakapuna go.
[/quote]

I guess that makes more sense, considering how healthy our D line is and has been playing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

[quote name='turningpoint' date='17 November 2009 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1258473781' post='829370']
I really hope they do, i think Benson will probably let him, or ask they let him too.
[/quote]
Not a chance UNLESS we somehow have the division and the 2 (or 1, I guess) seed wrapped up, which probably isn't going to be tha case going into the KC game. Ced is the starter, has a lot of pride, and will want his carries. Now, he may end up giving up some carries to L.J., but as far as starting I gotta think no way.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='17 November 2009 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1258476010' post='829395']
[/quote]

Jeremi is pretty banged up.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='17 November 2009 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1258476209' post='829400']
Not a chance UNLESS we somehow have the division and the 2 (or 1, I guess) seed wrapped up, which probably isn't going to be tha case going into the KC game. Ced is the starter, has a lot of pride, and will want his carries. Now, he may end up giving up some carries to L.J., but as far as starting I gotta think no way.
[/quote]

By week 16, ...Ced may be grateful for time to heal a bit. Its a long season.

[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter"][b][color="#0a0501"]Adam_Schefter[/color][/b][/url] [url=""] [/url] If Larry Johnson got the veteran minimum contract most think, he will be paid $36,470 per week and make another $255,290 from the Bengals.
[url="http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/5800224594"]7 minutes ago [/url]from web

[quote name='Jeb' date='17 November 2009 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1258477341' post='829407']
Also, do we really know Scott can't get it done against average teams? The yardage he put up last game was against the Stoolers D. Last I checked, ...they were a pretty good D.
[/quote]

I think it is too much to ask him to be a bell cow and Kick returner.

And he has been banged up a couple times already this season.
Leonard had to come in for a little bit against the Stealers even.

[quote name='Mu Shu' date='16 November 2009 - 10:57 PM' timestamp='1258430279' post='829167']
I guess it's about official...

(playing the role of OldSchooler)

[url="http://twitter.com/kb_kcstar"]Kansas City reporter's twitter:[/url]

[b]Looks like LJ is fired up. From his Facebook page: "Gonna gallop all over the Chiefs. Cleat prints on the chests. Mud in the face masks."[/b]

and Larry Johnson tweeted...

[b]RT @ToonIcon: Me and Ocho Cinco!?!? " Come on Son!!!!"[/b]

Well it's nice to see that he's humble...

ninja?
[/quote]

hey, at least he didn't call Marvin a slur. half-:ninja:

[b][size="5"]Running back Larry Johnson inks deal to join the Cincinnati Bengals[/size][/b]
By Joe Reedy • [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy@enquirer.com[/email] • November 17, 2009

Larry Johnson is a Bengal after agreeing to terms on a one-year contract with the team this morning. The Bengals still have not made an official announcement since they still have to make a roster move to put Johnson on the 53-man roster.

Johnson arrived on Monday night in Cincinnati and met with the coach Marvin Lewis and his staff. Since being released by the Chiefs last Monday, Johnson had talked but the Bengals will be the one to take a chance on the oft-troubled seven-year running back. Lewis spoke with Johnson last Thursday about possibly coming to the team.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Johnson will receive the $4 million still owed by the Chiefs, who had to pick up the salary when he wasn't claimed off waivers, plus the veteran's minimum, which would be $306764.43 for the remaining seven games.

Lewis also said on Monday that Johnson would be the fourth running back and that the role of the three backs on the roster would not change.

"It would have zero affect on Cedric Benson, Bernard Scott or Brian Leonard," Lewis said. "I'm very happy right now with what they're doing and their roles and I want to see Bernard's role continue to expand as it did yesterday."

The rumors about Johnson coming to Cincinnati really intensified following Sunday's 18-12 win over Pittsburgh when Benson left during the second quarter with a hip flexor strain.

But both Lewis and Benson said that the injury, which is officially an abductor strain, was not serious and that he could be available for this week's game at Oakland. But Benson is expected to be limited in practices with the final decision being made close to game time.

"I had an opportunity to visit with Cedric, and it (Johnson's signing) doesn't affect him zero," Lewis said. "Obviously this was already underway last week, so Ced in the game had no affect on this thing."

Benson said this morning on Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio morning show that he is feeling pretty good, calling it "just a minor speed bump in the road" and also supported the signing.

"It's good for him. I was once in that position and he's getting his opportunity again," Benson said. "In all aspects we definitely plan on it to be a contribution to the team. If he can help the team in a positive way then I'm all for that."

Lewis said that Johnson would do scout team work along with special teams. It would also mean that he would be a game day inactive since the Bengals suit up only three running backs.

But if Benson's injury was more serious than thought or chronic, Johnson would be in line for bigger role.

"His role would be a fourth running back and as a backup player on this football team, doing all the things backup players do," Lewis said. "That's work their tails off. In the kicking game and showing looks and so forth.

"He would be an insurance policy if something would happen to our guys where he would have a chance to be active. I can't foresee him being active when he was initially there if this happens. That's what I told him."

Johnson, who turns 30 on Thursday, was 75 yards short of passing Priest Holmes as the franchise's all-time leading rusher. In seven games, he had 377 yards on 132 carries and a 2.9 yards per carry average.

Since setting an NFL record with 416 carries and a team-record 1,789 yards (which was his second straight 1,700-yard season), Johnson's career has been on a steady decline.

He sat out most of training camp in 2007 and then missed eight games with a foot injury. Last year, he was benched by then-coach Herm Edwards for three straight games for violating team rules and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him for a fourth game for violating the league's player-conduct policy.

Earlier this year, Johnson was sentenced to two years' probation after pleading guilty to two counts of disturbing the peace. In two separate incidents, one woman accused him of throwing a drink on her and another said he had pushed her head at a Kansas City night spot.

But Johnson's tenure in Kansas City finally reached a breaking point last month when he was suspended for two weeks for tweets that included criticism of Todd Haley's coaching background and anti-gay slurs. After returning to the team, he was released.

"It wasn't any one thing," Haley said at the time of the release. "It was the totality of the situation, even before I was around here."
The Chiefs had to pay him the rest of Johnson's salary, about $2.1 million, since he wasn't claimed off waivers.
"One of the things I told Larry was we would judge him on his future and not on his past. We would judge him from that way forward," Lewis said. "I told Ced that I think you can help him with that. You could validate with that."
A bigger question is what effect Johnson's signing might have on the overall chemistry of this team. While people were lauding Lewis and the Bengals after Sunday's win in Pittsburgh for having one of the more mentally tough locker rooms in the league, signing someone with a track record like Johnson's could put that to the test.

Those close to Johnson say that he is ready to move forward after the past couple years in Kansas City. The Bengals are also hoping that giving him in a second chance works out well like last year's signing of Benson and the re-signing of wide receiver Chris Henry. Both were known for their off-the-field problems but both have turned things around and been positive influences in the locker room.

And in a bit of coincidence, the Bengals will be hosting the Chiefs on Dec. 27. In his four career games against the Bengals, Johnson has two 100-yard games (averaging 101.5 yards per game) and four touchdowns.

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091117/SPT02/311170053/1062/SPT/Johnson+officially+a+Bengal"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091117/SPT02/311170053/1062/SPT/Johnson+officially+a+Bengal[/url]

[quote name='Hooky' date='17 November 2009 - 07:48 AM' timestamp='1258469329' post='829328']
I think most people thought that the Bengals didn't need him and didn't think that he would be cheap enough to have as a utility back.

And people seem to be really concerned with the inevitable media shitstorm. And the silly idea that he would destroy the chemistry of the locker room single-handedly. Basically they had the same reaction as they did with Cedric Benson last season before he signed.

I'm kind of para-phrasing my last post here, but I think those are the reasons and I think very few people think that he's washed up and can't contribute on the field.
[/quote]

I was worried that we would cut Leonard or Scott. Marvin says it won't affect them.

I still think its pretty likely he's on the edge of washed up. On the other hand, we don't necessarily need him to be Cedric, just be, say Rudi Johnson. If he can spot the hole and hit it, he can be a threat to gain five yards rather than 10. This would be enough to keep defenses honest if our line gets some push.

I didn't have a bad reaction to CB last year, and I don't care about the Media.

[quote name='ValleyBengal' date='17 November 2009 - 03:23 AM' timestamp='1258453416' post='829258']
Just for that Polamalu hair pull he gets my vote.

I think LJ's woes in KC have more to do with a shitty O-line than his talents. He always was a gamer, just not very smart off the field. Look at Matt Cassel there this year. After his great year in NE, he's stinking it up this year. And I don't think it's because his skills have regressed...
[/quote]

Isn't interesting to note that KC's offense disappeared when Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired?

It's official.

#bengals officially announce the signing of Larry Johnson and the release of DT Orien Harris

From Reedy's Twitter

**EDIT**

Hobs has it too now, presser at 3pm.

Bengals cut Harris to add Johnson
Posted 29 minutes ago

a a In order to make room for former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson on their roster, the Bengals Tuesday waived second-year defensive tackle Orien Harris. Harris, traded for running back Brian Leonard in May, was re-signed Oct. 20 and played in one game.

Johnson makes his first official appearance as a Bengal in 3 p.m. news conference Tuesday at Paul Brown Stadium.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='17 November 2009 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1258483192' post='829474']
It's official.

#bengals officially announce the signing of Larry Johnson and the release of DT Orien Harris

From Reedy's Twitter

**EDIT**

Hobs has it too now, presser at 3pm.

Bengals cut Harris to add Johnson
Posted 29 minutes ago

a a In order to make room for former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson on their roster, the Bengals Tuesday waived second-year defensive tackle Orien Harris. Harris, traded for running back Brian Leonard in May, was re-signed Oct. 20 and played in one game.

Johnson makes his first official appearance as a Bengal in 3 p.m. news conference Tuesday at Paul Brown Stadium.
[/quote]

So Orien is exchanged for another RB from Missouri. If it works half as well as the other move, I'll be happy.

Welcome to the family Larry Johnson. Always good to have more Johnsons, it confuses the other team.

Archived