Larry Johnson is a Bengal

[quote]L.J. to Bengals could actually work
November, 16, 2009

By James Walker

ESPN’s Michael Smith is reporting that former Kansas City Chiefs tailback Larry Johnson will sign with the first-place Cincinnati Bengals this week.

Are you surprised? Well, you shouldn’t be.

Despite Johnson's troubled past, here are several reasons this move could work for Cincinnati:

1. Little risk

This move has Bengals written all over it, because they are purchasing a stock at its lowest possible point. According to Smith, the deal is expected to be prorated for the rest of the season at the league minimum. With seven games left in the regular season, Cincinnati is getting a former Pro Bowler virtually for free. If it doesn’t work, the Bengals can cut ties with Johnson after the season as easily as they got him.

2. Benson factor

As evident by his recent hip injury, it was just a matter of time before wear and tear began to take hold with Bengals starting tailback Cedric Benson. He was on pace for more than 400 carries this year, and with Cincinnati (7-2) expected to get into the postseason, the team needs to make sure Benson doesn’t peak too early. Signing Johnson allows that to happen. A workhorse in his own right, he can take a lot of the pounding down the stretch that Benson otherwise would take. It’s unknown at this point if Benson will be ready for Sunday’s game against the Oakland Raiders. But having Johnson paired with rookie Bernard Scott next week might not be a bad move while resting Benson.

3. L.J. adds depth

Benson putting up Pro Bowl numbers through the first nine games masked one of Cincinnati’s few weaknesses this year. The Bengals were pretty thin at tailback. The aforementioned Scott broke out in a win against the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday on special teams but hadn’t shown much in the backfield during the first half of the season. Brian Leonard is a converted fullback who received some carries and did well with limited opportunities. But mostly it was all Benson all the time. Johnson is a proven commodity who adds experienced depth at the position.

4. Strong locker room

In the past, Cincinnati adding a troubled player would be a disaster. But this is as professional a Bengals team as you’re going to see. Cincinnati has very good chemistry this year and a strong enough foundation to take on Johnson. Winning also helps as the Bengals are one of the best teams in the AFC. Players are not worried about their contracts and all have a common goal in mind of finishing strong and doing well in the playoffs. As long as Johnson concentrates on playing hard for the team and reestablishing his own image individually, this experiment could work for the Bengals.[/quote]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 November 2009 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1258421815' post='829086']
Did you just make that up?
[/quote]

[quote name='Jason' date='16 November 2009 - 08:53 PM' timestamp='1258422834' post='829092']
You sure? Haven't seen that anywhere on the net.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='16 November 2009 - 08:54 PM' timestamp='1258422892' post='829093']
:rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:
[/quote]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 November 2009 - 08:55 PM' timestamp='1258422901' post='829094']
I think hes just making stuff up, but I dont know.
[/quote]

[quote name='TheLightWithin' date='16 November 2009 - 08:56 PM' timestamp='1258422983' post='829095']
That is nowhere on the net.
My anger is everywhere...watching.
[/quote]
Everyone recalibrate your sarcasm-o-meter...well, except for you, BengalMigration.
Does anyone really believe for a second that he'd resign with the [i]Chiefs[/i], after everything that's happened there?

[quote name='Bunghole' date='16 November 2009 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1258425166' post='829113']
Everyone recalibrate your sarcasm-o-meter...well, except for you, BengalMigration.
Does anyone really believe for a second that he'd resign with the [i]Chiefs[/i], after everything that's happened there?
[/quote]

:doh:

[quote name='Bunghole' date='16 November 2009 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1258425342' post='829117']
I didn't think I'd need the ninja for [i]you[/i], Jason...of all people!
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I think everyone was having Warren Sapp flashbacks!

[quote name='Bunghole' date='16 November 2009 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1258425342' post='829117']
:lol:
[/quote]

Brain cramp. I think I'm coming down with a cold and it must have affected my brain.

Why the FUCK would anybody be excited about this??? Why spoil something that is going good by bringing in ANOTHER fucking distraction.....wasn't this woman beater in the news recently for Twitter like a dumb fuck??? The FUCKING CHIEFS cut his ass. After finally building up the public perception of this team through Hardknocks, no arrests, Ocho being Ocho, Palmer finally healthy, Henry staying in his shoes, Benson going comeback, etc.....WHY bring in this loser????

I hate it, hate it, hate it....fucking hate it. Fuck Larry "Bitch Slap" Johnson.

[quote name='PalmerRocks25' date='16 November 2009 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1258425815' post='829128']
Why the FUCK would anybody be excited about this??? Why spoil something that is going good by bringing in ANOTHER fucking distraction.....wasn't this woman beater in the news recently for Twitter like a dumb fuck??? The FUCKING CHIEFS cut his ass. After finally building up the public perception of this team through Hardknocks, no arrests, Ocho being Ocho, Palmer finally healthy, Henry staying in his shoes, Benson going comeback, etc.....WHY bring in this loser????

I hate it, hate it, hate it....fucking hate it. Fuck Larry "Bitch Slap" Johnson.
[/quote]

We feed off the negative energy of bad press. We are like vampires.

[quote name='PalmerRocks25' date='16 November 2009 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1258425815' post='829128']

[/quote]

wait, do you not like this signing?

[quote name='PalmerRocks25' date='16 November 2009 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1258425815' post='829128']

[/quote]

Don't hold back--tell us what you REALLY think!

[quote name='PalmerRocks25' date='16 November 2009 - 11:43 PM' timestamp='1258425815' post='829128']

[/quote]

Benson fantasy football owner?

Yeah, me too. LJ handcuff time!!!

[quote name='TheLightWithin' date='16 November 2009 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1258426918' post='829143']
Bastard.
[/quote]
Oh come one. Live a little. I think you're being a bit too eager for him to sign. Either he will or he won't. How any of us feel about it doesn't mean shit.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 November 2009 - 06:59 PM' timestamp='1258412375' post='829014']
Did no one see how our offense played this week without Benson?

You guys that are saying you disagree with this move, would you honestly would feel comfortable with just Scott and Leonard in a playoff game against Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NE, or Indy?
Cause I sure as hell wouldnt. Nothing against those guys.
[/quote]

Yes i did watch the game, very closely. And i was pretty damn impressed on how well scott&leonard did vs the best RUN D in the freaking league. Did you not watch the game? Did you not watch us pound the ball down the field in a key final drive to waste a lot of clock>?

Im not saying i disagree with the Purchase. Read my previous posts before you say something stupid. But to say i wont feel confident in those two being a combo in the playoffs i wont. I think scott is a big up and comer.

:lol:
[/quote]

i cant believe people were actually believing that. LoL

Archived