Bengals’ recent success too late for some fans

[b][size="5"]Bengals' recent success too late for some fans[/size][/b]

By [url="http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com/incoming/greg-billing-256676.html"][color="#0d5e96"]Greg Billing[/color][/url], Staff Writer 1:06 AM Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I've never rooted for the Cincinnati Bengals (I don't root against them; just never became a fan) so I'm not jumping on their bandwagon. But I'm more than happy to run alongside cheering it on.

After years of frustration and just two winning seasons since 1990, Bengals fans deserve a winner. I have to wonder, though, is it too late?

For some fans it is. I know a few Bengals fans who in recent seasons hopped off the bandwagon.

I have no problem with those fans, as one friend told me, why waste time and money rooting for an organization that doesn't seem to care? His new team: The Pittsburgh Steelers. He was rewarded with a Super Bowl victory his first season as a fan.

I have to wonder how many joined him. I walked into a store the other day and was greeted by a display of about 10 different hats for the same team. Bengals? Nope. Steelers? Yep.

I'm glad for him to finally experience a winner. Likewise, I'm glad for Bengals fans who are enjoying this ride. I enjoy seeing the Who-Dey!s on Facebook. I like that my daughter makes sure her pink Bengals jersey is clean every Monday to celebrate another win with her friends.

I just hope the Bengals don't let them down.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-recent-success-too-late-for-some-fans-405569.html?cxtype=twt_Bengals_DDN"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-recent-success-too-late-for-some-fans-405569.html?cxtype=twt_Bengals_DDN[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='17 November 2009 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1258464859' post='829283']

By [url="http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com/incoming/greg-billing-256676.html"][color="#0d5e96"]Greg Billing[/color][/url], Staff Writer 1:06 AM Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I've never rooted for the Cincinnati Bengals (I don't root against them; just never became a fan) so I'm not jumping on their bandwagon. But I'm more than happy to run alongside cheering it on.

After years of frustration and just two winning seasons since 1990, Bengals fans deserve a winner. I have to wonder, though, is it too late?

For some fans it is. I know a few Bengals fans who in recent seasons hopped off the bandwagon.

I have no problem with those fans, as one friend told me, why waste time and money rooting for an organization that doesn't seem to care? His new team: The Pittsburgh Steelers. He was rewarded with a Super Bowl victory his first season as a fan.

I have to wonder how many joined him. I walked into a store the other day and was greeted by a display of about 10 different hats for the same team. Bengals? Nope. Steelers? Yep.

I'm glad for him to finally experience a winner. Likewise, I'm glad for Bengals fans who are enjoying this ride. I enjoy seeing the Who-Dey!s on Facebook. I like that my daughter makes sure her pink Bengals jersey is clean every Monday to celebrate another win with her friends.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-recent-success-too-late-for-some-fans-405569.html?cxtype=twt_Bengals_DDN"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/bengals-recent-success-too-late-for-some-fans-405569.html?cxtype=twt_Bengals_DDN[/url]
[/quote]

True fans never stop being fans and would consider death over becoming a Steelers fan.

I have had to remove myself from the disaster a few seasons over the years....but I never stopped being a fan.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='17 November 2009 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1258464859' post='829283']

[/quote]

This was printed in a paper? Christ. His friend just woke up one day, burned his Bengals stuff and started wearing a Hines Ward jersey? Like others have said, he was never much of a fan to begin with.

I couldn't fathom ever rooting for another team, ever.

Awful article.

As far as the ones who jumped off, fuck em! The guy that started rooting for the stealers was rewarded with a SB? What's the reward worth when you just jump on to the team that's winning? You can't really brag because you just got there. I've started rooting for teams that were winning in the middle of the season that ended up winning it all, but I don't feel like I could hang out with the real fans and celebrate. There's a distance there. There's not the same pay-off if there's no history with the team. I don't feel as good when they win and it doesn't ruin my day when they lose. Like it does with my real team.

Once a Bengal...always a Bengal. For me, there is neither an option or a desire of an option.

And commenting as to ever considering becoming a Stealer fan, a paraphrase from Winston Churchill:

[b][i]"If the Stealers invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."[/i][/b]

No real fan could ever jump to a division rival. Now I have to admit, during our losing, there have been other teams I have rooted for while we were losing, but I wouldn't even root for them against the Bengals and most of the rooting had to do with Fantasy Football then it did actually liking the team. Another reason was because the team was entertaining (the greatest show on turf comes to mind). but yeah, I've never stopped liking the Bengals and have never claimed a team over them.

Anyone who would stop being a Bengals fan to become a Steelers fan is both a terrible football fan and a terrible person, and will be a terrible parent who will undoubtedly raise awful little kids who will grow up to be criminals. We can only pray these people do not breed.

[quote name='top6' date='17 November 2009 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1258471219' post='829345']
Anyone who would stop being a Bengals fan to become a Steelers fan is both a terrible football fan and a terrible person, and will be a terrible parent who will undoubtedly raise awful little kids who will grow up to be criminals. We can only pray these people do not breed.
[/quote]

It's the trailer park peer pressure!! Plus, it's unlawful in Dayton to take off a Bengals Jersey before fucking your sister, but it's not if you're taking off a black and piss, especially if it's a threesome with you dog included!!

I live in southern Kentucky, so when the Titans opened their new stadium in 1999, I was a beaten-down, disheartened Bengals fan who wondered if it was worth it anymore. I decided that, hey, there was another NFL team in my back door, so why not start following them instead. I managed to pretend that I liked my new local team for a while, but when they came within a foot of a Super Bowl championship and I found that I was still spending as much time reading about the Bengals as I was the Titans, I knew that I was what I had always been: a Cincinnati Bengals fan. I'm okay with the Titans today, and will root for them against the Stealers, Cowboys, Patriots, every time. But overall I'm just indifferent about them when it comes down to it.

I honestly don't know how people just up and switch allegiances with their teams, and how they get any sense of fulfillment or enjoyment when those new teams win something. If the Bengals remain successful and play in a Super Bowl, the only drawback I can foresee is the bandwagon fans that will come out of the woodwork. I may have to slap the crisp new Bengals caps off some of the bastards' heads.

Hey guys. Newbie here. Glad to be aboard.

Not only do I think the story written is bogus, but I think the writer is just being a prick for even writing something like this while things are going so well. He's trying to stir a pot and sell some extra copies of a worthless paper.

Screw him.

[quote name='bengallaw' date='17 November 2009 - 10:46 AM' timestamp='1258472800' post='829363']
Hey guys. Newbie here. Glad to be aboard.

Not only do I think the story written is bogus, but I think the writer is just being a prick for even writing something like this while things are going so well. He's trying to stir a pot and sell some extra copies of a worthless paper.

Screw him.
[/quote]

Welcome to the Best Bengals Site on the Net! :headbang: (c)

[quote]For some fans it is. I know a few Bengals fans who in recent seasons hopped off the bandwagon.

[/quote]

A. You weren't a fan.

B. Please douse yourself in gasoline and go have a smoke.

I would stop watching the NFL entirely before rooting for another team...

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='17 November 2009 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1258465910' post='829289']
This was printed in a paper? Christ. His friend just woke up one day, burned his Bengals stuff and started wearing a Hines Ward jersey? Like others have said, he was never much of a fan to begin with.

[/quote]

Well, they do say homosexuality is genetic and not a lifestyle, so he could only fight nature for so long and came out of the closet.

How can one just 'pick' another team? Just throw all your Bengals gear in the garbage and buy new stuff? I can understand if you are from Houston / Baltimore / St. Louis, etc since the team left.

I didn't pick this team, this team must have picked me... I was just an oddball little kid who liked the color orange. And since we got to see the orange helmets at least twice a year in Houston on TV, I decided I liked the helmets with the writing on the side better than the plain one (that's how close I was to being a Brown's fan!) I was about 4 years old.

I can't even have a college football team that I get as jacked up excited over... I am an Aggie, family who are LSU alum, and I tried to get excited about their programs, but it just doesn't do it for me. Cincinnati Bengals football is all it ever has been, and all it ever will be for me. If the team ever left Cincinnati, I don't know what I would do as far as watching sports as a hobby. Weird thing is, I have only set foot in Cincy one time in my 35 years. Pretty weird, eh?

[quote name='oldschooler' date='17 November 2009 - 09:44 AM' timestamp='1258465467' post='829287']
By the way, if you were a Bengals fan and were able to
quit and become a Stealers fan, you never much of a
Bengals fan to begin with. So good riddance and fuck you.
[/quote]

Exactly. You never stop being a fan. You root for them when they are good or bad. We don't need bandwagon fans and we don't need the hating media either.

True fans can never change. Supporting the Bengals is a part of who I am. It is impossible to turn that off. I love the Buckeyes, but I have never had the passion for them that I do for Bengals football.

This "Stealers" fan is like so many other douche bag casual fans that changes teams based on who their friends root for. And of course they were here all along when the Bengals are winning. Fuck them.

[quote name='Le Tigre' date='17 November 2009 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1258466697' post='829299']
And commenting as to ever considering becoming a Stealer fan, a paraphrase from Winston Churchill:

[b][i]"If the Stealers invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."[/i][/b]
[/quote]

Incidentally, the Stealers of the 1970's [i]have[/i] been invading Hell lately. I guess greenies aren't good for you after all - LuLz!!!!!!

Archived