The Official 2010 Pre- World Cup Thread

JC

[quote][size="5"][b]Kenny Cooper leaves Munich for England

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Mike Woitalla, Friday, Jan 29, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [color="#ff0000"][AMERICANS ABROAD][/color] U.S. forward [b]Kenny Cooper[/b], who joined 1860 Munich last summer from FC Dallas, is leaving the German second division club to play on loan for English second division Plymouth Argyle for the remainder of the 2009-10 season. According to media reports out of the Germany, the move was prompted by a request from Cooper and his father, [b]Ken[/b], to be guaranteed more playing time in order to improve the 25-year-old's chances of making the U.S. World Cup squad.

Cooper scored in his 1860 Munich debut but struck just once more in his next 11 appearances before being sidelined with a knee injury in November.

In an article headlined, "Brazen -- Papa Cooper wanted starting spot guarantee," [url="http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/zweite-liga/2010/01/29/1860-muenchen/papa-cooper-wollte-stammplatz-garantie.html"]Bild[/url] newspaper quoted 1860 Munich coach [b]Ewald Lienen[/b] as saying:

"Kenny and his father came to me and wanted more playing time. They were clearly worried about Kenny's World Cup participation. But I couldn't promise that. Up to a couple of days we didn't even know whether he was fit to play. So they both asked for a move. We agreed, because an unhappy player doesn't help us."

The move comes at an inconvenient time for 1860 Munich, which faces a striker shortage.

"About Kenny I have absolutely nothing bad to say," Lienen said. "If there were difficult talks, it was with his father."

Kenny Cooper played one game (12 minutes) for the USA in the 10-game final round of 2010 World Cup qualifying -- a 2-2 tie with Costa Rica after the USA had already clinched a spot in South Africa. He has scored two goals in 10 games since debuting for the USA in 2007.Plymouth Argyle is third-from-last in the English League Championship (second division).

[/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36522&Nid=110550&p=493089

[quote]
[b][size="5"][b]The chance is with Wolves[/b][/size][/b]

[b][b]Attacking options give McCarthy's men hope, says Merse[/b][/b]
[size="1"]Last updated: 30th January 2010 [/size]

[b]Hull City 2-2 Wolves
Soccer Saturday Analysis[/b]

Paul Merson backed Wolves to beat Hull City to Premier League safety after watching them share the error-strewn spoils at the KC Stadium.

Mick McCarthy's side came from behind twice to claim a draw that keeps them one point ahead of the home side, still stuck in the drop zone in 19th place.

Defensive gaffes, not least from Anthony Gardner for Hull and Ronald Zubar for Wolves, may have dominated proceedings, but it is at the other end of the pitch where Merson believes the Midlanders have real hope.

"I fancy Wolves to stay up more than Hull, in my opinion," he told [i]Soccer Saturday[/i].

"They're out of the bottom three for another week, Hull have got Chelsea so they're not going to win that game, then Manchester City. Wolves can nick a result; they've got Birmingham coming up but you'd rather play them than Chelsea or Man City.

"Wolves have got Kevin Doyle, they had (Sylvain) Ebanks-Blake on the bench today, I just think they will get out of it. I know they've had some dodgy results at home, but I fancy them to get out of it.

"I have to say - and I've written it down - (Kevin) Doyle was outstanding. He held the ball up, he caused havoc; he played up front on his own and was the best player on the pitch by a million miles. But Mick will probably say he was crap today!"

[b]It didn't look like that early on as the impressive Jozy Altidore set up Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink for the first goal, only to see Gardner's comical own goal, "an absolute one-in-a-million according to Merson, level matters.[/b]

[b]Zubar's rush of blood and rash challenge on Hull's American import allowed Stephen Hunt to restore the lead from the penalty spot but again Wolves bounced back to level through Matt Jarvis.[/b]

[b]And while their frontmen impressed, Merson believes Phil Brown's decision to tinker with his own attacking options and bring on recent signing Amir Zaki, actually had an adverse affect on the home side.[/b]

[b]"Zaki did alright when he came on," he said.[/b]

[b]"I can't believe Phil Brown made the substitution but he knows better than me. Jozy Altidore was a threat, an absolute threat. [/b]

[b]"He set up the first, then won the penalty but he had a one-on-one and (Marcus) Hahnemann made the save - but Wolves were relieved to see him go off because he was a big, big threat.[/b]

[b]"Zaki came on and did alright but not as well as Altidore. I thought that substitution changed the game."[/b]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.skysports.com/tv_show/story/0"]http://www.skysports...tv_show/story/0[/url],20144,12383_5894064_12383,00.html

Some interesting notes:

John Terry boning his Bridges ex woman could be huge for us. Bridges is rumored to have already said he won't travel with Terry to the WC and Terry could be stripped of his armband today for England. Wow. Hopefully shit starts to hit the ceiling there.

Dolo gets injured and out for a month. Not good news for us, but Specs might have the RB locked down already in my mind. Hes a monster who is getting better.

Bob Bradley is still terrible.

That is all.

[quote][size="5"][b]Johnson and Adu team up on goal
[/b][/size]
[size="1"]Monday, Feb 1, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] Eddie Johnson scored his first goal with Greek club Aris thanks to an assist from Freddie Adu in his Aris debut, but it it was too littl, too late for Aris, which fell to Xanthi, 2-1, on Sunday.

The goal came in the first minute of stoppage time when Adu, a second-half sub, lofted a long ball from the left wing, just inside the Xanthi half, over the opposing defense to Johnson, who controlled the ball and then slipped it underneath the Xanthi goalie before slotting the ball into the empty net,[/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36552&Nid=110603&p=493089

[quote][size="5"][b]A winning weekend for Yanks abroad

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Monday, Feb 1, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] Nine Americans started in England, France, Germany and Mexico on Saturday, and none lost. Everton remained unbeaten in EPL play since Landon Donovan joined the Toffees with a 1-0 win at Wigan. Carlos Bocanegra is back in grace at Rennes, a 4-0 winner over Grenoble, while Michael Bradley's Borussia Moenchengladbach held on for a 4-3 victory over Werder Bremen. [b]Jose Francisco Torres[/b] has already regained his starting job at Pachuca, a 5-1 winner over Atlante.

ENGLAND (Premier League)
Jozy Altidore, 67 minutes (Hull City, 2-2, vs. Wolves)
Landon Donovan, 74 minutes (Everton, 1-0, at Wigan)
Brad Friedel, 90 minutes (Aston Villa, 2-0, at Fulham)
Marcus Hahnemann, 90 minutes (Wolves, 2-2, at Hull City)
Tim Howard, 90 minutes (Everton, 1-0, at Wigan)
Jonathan Spector, 90 minutes (West Ham, 0-0, vs. Blackburn)

ENGLAND (League Championship)
Frank Simek, sub: 24 minutes (Sheffield Wednesday, 2-1, vs. Plymouth)

FRANCE (Ligue 1)
Carlos Bocanegra, 90 minutes (Rennes, 4-0, vs. Grenoble)

GERMANY (Bundesliga 1)
Michael Bradley, 90 minutes (Bor. M'Gladbach, 4-3, vs. Werder Bremen)

GREECE (Super League)
Freddy Adu, sub: 24 minutes (Aris, 1-2, at Xanthi)
Eddie Johnson, 90 minutes, 1 goal (Aris, 1-2, at Xanthi)

MEXICO (Primera, Torneo Bicentenario 2010)
Herculez Gomez, sub: 20 minutes (Puebla, 1-2, vs. Queretaro)
Marco Antonio Vidal, 90 minutes (Indios, 0-1, at Club America)
Jose Francisco Torres, 66 minutes (Pachuca, 5-1, vs. Atlante)[/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36544&Nid=110603&p=493089

[quote name='JC' date='01 February 2010 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1265036662' post='861018']
Dolo gets injured and out for a month. Not good news for us, but Specs might have the RB locked down already in my mind. Hes a monster who is getting better.
[/quote]

[quote][size="5"][b]Cherundolo sidelined with shoulder injury

[/b][/size] [size="1"]Monday, Feb 1, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] Another possible starter for the U.S. World Cup team has been injured. Right back Steve Cherundolo hurt his shoulder in training on Sunday and will be out of action for four weeks.

Cherundolo, who has 57 caps for the USA, did not play for Hannover in its 3-1 loss at home to Nuremberg on Saturday. [/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36553&Nid=110603&p=493089

[quote][size="5"][b]USA to set up base at country lodge

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Tuesday, Feb 2, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [img]http://m.socceramerica.com/publications/82/WC-Irene-Lodge.jpg[/img]

[WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN] The United States will be based in Irene, located between Johannesburg and Pretoria, during the 2010 World Cup. It has finalized plans to stay at the Irene Country Lodge and train at Pilditch Stadium in Pretoria, where it trained during last year's Confederations Cup.

According to Italian press reports, the USA and Italy, the defending World Cup champion, had both wanted to train at Southdowns College in Irene.

Italy will train at Southdowns College, while the Americans will stay at the [url="http://www.irenecountrylodge.co.za/"]Irene Country Lodge[/url], where the Azzurri stayed during the Confederations Cup.

No date has been announced for the USA's arrival in Irene.

The base is centrally located for the USA, which will play its three World Cup group games in Rustenburg, Johannesburg and Pretoria.

Irene is near two golf courses and a cricket ground.[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36575&Nid=110665&p=493089"]http://www.soccerame...110665&p=493089[/url]

[quote]
[b][size="5"][b]U.S. fans priced out of World Cup trip

[/b][/size][/b] Stacy Schwartz has tickets for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. She was going to go.

Was.

Accompanying her was her friend Matt Fried.

He's not going anymore, either.

"The biggest reason we can't go is money," explained Fried, a landscaper from Newburgh, N.Y. "It's too expensive to get over there right now."

"I'm disappointed. We were really looking forward to the trip," said Schwartz, a catering manager. "We'd been talking about it for a couple of years. I'd wanted to go to South Africa since I was a kid, and then the World Cup came along and that was the perfect opportunity."

The third phase of ticketing, which will culminate in a lottery Feb. 1, saw the United States lead every country but South Africa itself in ticket applications, with 50,217, according to FIFA, soccer's governing body.

Yet many of those who thought they had stumbled on a nice piece of luck are discovering that the tickets they shelled out anywhere from $80 to $900 apiece for will be hard to actually use. Travel to South Africa, as exotic as it may sound, has turned out to be prohibitively expensive. Flights from New York to Johannesburg -- where most games, including the final, will be played -- would normally cost about $1,000, but they will set you back at least $2,500 if travelling during the World Cup.

One 3-star Johannesburg hotel normally charges as little as $49 a night for a standard room, but will be bumping its price to up to $220 a night for the days leading up to the World Cup, with no availability remaining during the tournament. A 5-star accommodation that costs $237 a night in, say, February, will require you to pony up $659 for World Cup nights.

Many American soccer fans who were planning on going, and in many cases have tickets, can't afford those prices.

"We're finding that everything else is way too expensive," Schwartz said. "We had no idea what to expect of South Africa. None of us have been there. Before we considered getting into the lottery for the tickets just to find out how travel was we called some tour operators. They were telling us we needed to get tickets of our own. And then when we got them they said we had to buy packages from them, including tickets to follow a team."

They were quoted $4,800 for a package that included two U.S. group games, a 3-star hotel, transfers and breakfast, but not flights to South Africa.

"We started looking for flights, and the cheapest we can find right now is $2,800, and the transfer between Cape Town and Johannesburg is an additional $500," Schwartz said. "We'd all budgeted $5,000 to $6,000, and we figured that would be able to get us a safari."

"We looked up how much it would cost us and it would be seven to 10 grand right now," Fried added. "When we looked it up before we got the tickets it was going to be $4,000 or $5,000. I knew prices were going to jump, but I didn't realize by how much."

"I'd pay anything to get there, but you've got to have [the money] first," Fried said.

Sam's Army, the fanatical fan club of the U.S. national team, is encountering similarly frustrating financial obstacles. Previously expecting to travel to South Africa with several hundred members, it has had to lower its estimate to barely 100 -- all of them veterans of previous World Cups, not new fans.

Get exclusive insight into the U.S. national team and its players as they prepare for South Africa.

Many of those forced to abandon World Cup plans for monetary reasons are now stuck with the tickets they won in the lottery. Schwartz, Fried and two other friends had each applied for tickets for all four of them for three games, figuring they'd be lucky to get a few. They got almost all the tickets they had applied for, leaving them with 32 tickets for just four people and three games. Not to mention a bill for $640 each. What's worse, the tickets have their names on them and aren't transferable without FIFA's permission. When contacted, the United States Soccer Federation had no comment, citing a lack of statistical knowledge of the subject.

"I found out today that we are able to transfer the tickets, but now it's a matter of finding people that we know that can afford a $10,000 excursion," Schwartz said. "We can also put our tickets back into the pot, but they can't guarantee that they will be sold again."

A World Cup tourism organizing plan drawn up in November 2005 by South Africa's Department of Tourism projected that 445,000 foreign visitors would enter the country on account of the World Cup this summer, more than double the 210,000 tourists from abroad that a regular month would see. The World Cup goers are expected to leave behind a shade under 10 billion South African rand, equivalent to about $1.3 billion, not including the price of actual tickets.

There have been rumblings about the pace of ticket sales being disappointing because of cost, but FIFA officials maintain that they're satisfied.

Jay Singh, a spokesman for South Africa's Department of Tourism, contends that the jump in prices is not a product of World Cup profiteering but simply of the time of year. "This is peak season, and people do expect during the peak season that prices could vary," Singh said, neglecting to add that June and July are in the middle of winter in the Southern Hemisphere. "It's not as outrageous as some people are saying, that they have to reconsider traveling to South Africa. This hype that's being created is not really founded. The pricing is based on the supply and demand. Even without the 2010 [World Cup], South Africa experiences high prices because these are holiday periods."

"The minister [of tourism] has also stated that tourism in general should be responsible," Singh said. "Government right now is intending to investigate any collusion as to prices in the sector."

[b]Tweet, tweet[/b]
Don't miss a moment of the latest U.S. soccer and MLS coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed.

"What we do understand is that there will always be establishments that will try to take chances during events like the 2010 World Cup, and we have discouraged that," Singh said, before adding that "our government will not interfere in the functioning of the free market."

"I've given up hope for this World Cup," Fried said. "Hopefully I can get myself to another one. Hopefully I can get as lucky with tickets. I thought that was going to be the hard part. Now I have more than enough [tickets], but I just can't afford to go."

"We're hoping for a miracle," Schwartz said. "Maybe we'll hit the lottery."

[/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4872081/ce/us/us-fans-being-priced-world-cup-trip?cc=5901&ver=us"]http://soccernet.esp...?cc=5901&ver=us[/url]

Never knew anything about this, but 1998 predates me paying much attention to soccer. Wynalda had a teammate move in on his wife, that's cold Harkes!

Certainly Terry will no longer be captain of England but will they even keep him on the squad? My gut says England will keep him. Unfortunately I think the world has changed a lot in 12 years and the taboo factor will be less.

[quote][size="5"][b]Sampson ends silence on Harkes affair

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Ridge Mahoney, Wednesday, Feb 3, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [U.S. SOCCER] Like the decision itself 12 years ago, former U.S. head coach [b]Steve Sampson[/b] did not regard lightly his choice to publicly acknowledge his reasons for dropping midfielder and captain [b]John Harkes[/b] from the American squad just three months prior to the 1998 World Cup.

Informed by U.S. attacker [b]Roy Wegerle[/b] that Harkes and teammate [b]Eric Wynalda[/b]'s wife, [b]Amy[/b], were having an affair, Sampson discussed the issue privately with both players and consulted staff members and U.S. Soccer executives before making his decision to cut Harkes from the team.

Sampson did not publicly disclose knowledge of the affair, and came forth in a telephone interview Tuesday only because Wynalda had acknowledged it Monday night on a weekly TV show he co-hosts on Fox Soccer Channel.

"I wish that Eric had never said anything," said Sampson, who took over the national team in 1995 and led it to some historic victories before taking severe criticism for his tactical and personnel decisions at the 1998 competition in which the USA lost all three of its games.

"But you know what? The other side of it, is now, I'm not the only one that is aware of the reality. So for 12 years now I have kept this quiet, never dreaming that either one of them would ever make it public. But it's on the record now, so I feel I have the freedom to speak.

"I did not even tell the team. I felt it was a private matter, a private issue. I could not tell my own team, because of the potential impact it would have on those two families. My own team did not know the full story. So going into the World Cup, I made that decision about John. Certainly there were rumors and they were able to handle their own side of the story, but I never formally addressed it to the team.

"If I regret one thing, it's probably that I didn't confide in the leadership of the team as to exactly what had transpired and why I made the decision. I felt that this was such a private issue that I couldn't take it to the leadership of the team."

Problems had been simmering between Harkes and Sampson before the coach learned of the affair and despite some impressive results under Sampson: the USA beat Argentina and Mexico at the 1995 Copa America in Uruguay en route to a fourth-place finish, and battled Mexico to a 0-0 tie in Azteca Stadium - the only time it has not lost in that venue -- in November, 1997, despite losing defender [b]Jeff Agoos[/b] to a red card in the opening minutes. Harkes took over at left back and led a courageous performance that stunned the huge Mexican crowd and eventually led to the dismissal of Coach [b]Bora Milutinovic[/b], who had preceded Sampson as the U.S. coach.

"I was a huge fan of John Harkes and to this day, on the field, he was one of the best captains the U.S. has ever had," says Sampson. "To say I was disappointed is an understatement."

After the USA had clinched qualification for the World Cup, Harkes objected to playing left back in a friendly against the Netherlands in February, 1998, and the two were seen arguing on the field after a training session. After a 2-0 defeat, the team headed to Brussels for a friendly against Belgium; two days before the game, Harkes and several players went out to celebrate teammate [b]Joe-Max Moore[/b]'s birthday, and came back to the team hotel in the wee hours very noisily drunk.

"I believe the first two instances we could have overcome and put them behind us, and John could have been the captain for us at the World Cup," says Sampson. "Unfortunately, what happened didn't help our performance, but I just couldn't justify the action.

"It's a matter of principle, not a matter of one's moral beliefs. You either stand behind your principles, or you don't, and I chose to stand behind this one."

After the Belgium match, and prior to a friendly against Paraguay in mid-March, Wegerle - who had played against and socialized with Harkes when they were playing club opponents in England -- informed Sampson he knew of the affair. Both Wynalda and Harkes refused to speak about the matter publicly, other than to deny the affair's existence. Harkes also denied it to Sampson, who nevertheless confirmed Wegerle's information and took several weeks to make his decision.

"I informed the team prior to the match against Paraguay in San Diego," says Sampson. "I addressed the team and told them that for a number of reasons, I'd decided to remove John from the team without being specific. You've got to understand how difficult that was. I didn't want this to impact Eric's ability to perform at his very best in the World Cup, but it did, and it was a huge distraction."

Three weeks later, on April 14, 1998, Sampson publicly confirmed rumors that had been circulating of Harkes' dismissal. Yet in making the announcement Sampson referred only to "leadership issues" and disputes regarding Harkes' role in the team. The following month, Harkes flew to Southern California to plead with Sampson for reinstatement, a very public embarrassment that may have further split apart the players, many of whom held their former captain in very high regard.

As does Sampson, at least as a player and a leader. "There were a number of [players] who were disappointed that John was not a member of the team," he says. "I don't even know today if they would have supported the decision I made if they had known. There were players who were very loyal to John, and rightfully so. John had paid his dues, he deserved to be there, he deserved to be on the national team, and I believe he deserved to be the captain.

"I would have loved to have gone to that World Cup with John Harkes; he would have made a difference on the field. But after this series of acts, one being incredibly severe, I didn't believe he still had the right to be there. It's really unfortunate.

"What people have to remember is the quality of play that team showed during those four years. There were some really exceptional displays that were overlooked because of our results in the World Cup. It demonstrated an incredible amount of growth and maturity in the U.S. team. For that, I was really proud, and continue to be really proud."[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36595&Nid=110726&p=493089"]http://www.soccerame...110726&p=493089[/url]

[quote][size="5"][b]Altidore's Hull stymies leader Chelsea

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Wednesday, Feb 3, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [img]http://m.socceramerica.com/publications/82/Intl-Hull-Altidore1.jpg[/img]

[AMERICANS ABROAD] For Jozy Altidore, his scoreless streak in English Premier League play is now 17 games. Hull City's winless string in all competitions is now 11 games. But the young American striker had an eventful game for the Tigers, who played giant-killers, denying leader Chelsea of two valuable points with a 1-1 tie in their makeup game on Tuesday.

Hull City fans spent the game jeering Chelsea's John Terry, playing his second away game since revelations about his private life.

Among the biggest boos were for Terry's foul on Altidore just after halftime that drew a yellow card, one of two Chelsea cautions for fouls in the American.

Later Serbian Branislav Ivanovic was booked for a foul on Altidore, who went off in the 85th minute.

Center back Steven Mouyokolo put Hull ahead in the 29th minute, but Didier Drogba equalized shortly before halftime on a free kick with his 20th goal of the season in his first appearance for the Blues in a month.

Feb. 2 in Hull
Hull City 1 Chelsea 1. Goals: Mouyokolo 29; Drogba 42.
Hull City -- Myhill, McShane (Zayatte, 90), Gardner, Mouyokolo, Dawson, Fagan, Boateng, Cairney, Hunt, Altidore (Kilbane, 85), Vennegoor of Hesselink (Zaki, 66).
Chelsea -- Cech, Ivanovic, Carvalho, Terry, Zhirkov (A.Cole, 81), Ballack (J.Cole, 71), Deco, Lampard, Anelka (Sturridge, 81), Malouda, Drogba.
Referee: Mark Clattenburg.
Att.: 24,957 [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36591&Nid=110726&p=493089"]http://www.soccerame...110726&p=493089[/url]

[quote][size="5"][b]DeMerit's Watford ends skid

[/b][/size] [size="1"]Wednesday, Feb 3, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] Jay DeMerit went the distance in the middle of the backline in Watford's 3-0 win over visiting Sheffield United in the League Championship. The win ended Watford's seven-game winless streak - and moved it five places up the standings to 12th place.

DeMerit failed to connect on several scoring opportunities for Watford, which dominated the game.

Tom Cleverley, Heidar Helguson and Don Cowie scored the goals.

Feb. 2 in Watford
Watford 3 Sheffield United 0. Goals: Cleverley 39, Helguson 55, Cowie 74.
Watford -- Loach, Mariappa, DeMerit, Taylor, Doyley, Cowie, Jenkins (Harley, 83), Eustace, Lansbury, Cleverley (Graham, 76), Helguson (Hoskins, 81).
Sheffield United -- Bun, Geary, Morgan (Fortune, 41), Nosworthy, Stewart, Ward (Yeates, 46), Harper, Montgomery, Quinn, Cresswell, Henderson (Evans, 69).
Referee: Keith Hill.
Att.: 13,076. [/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36594&Nid=110726&p=493089

[quote][size="5"][b]Beasley's car firebombed

[/b][/size] [size="1"]Wednesday, Feb 3, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [img]http://m.socceramerica.com/publications/82/Intl-Rangers-Beasley2.jpg[/img]

[AMERICANS ABROAD] Rangers midfielder DaMarcus Beasley had his BMW set ablaze on Monday night in an attack Glasgow police was treating as "willful fireraising."

The Sun [url="http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2836876/Rangers-footballer-DaMarcus-Beasleys-car-is-fire-bombed.html"]reported[/url] that Beasley was in his home when he heard screeching tires, then looked out his window to see his car in flames.

Police do not believe there was any racial or sectarian -- Rangers has strong ties to Glasgow's Protestant community -- motivation to the attack. Beasley's car was the only one on the street.

It isn't the first time Beasley, who is currently sidelined, had his car attacked.

In late 2008, his BMW was broken into and ransacked outside his home, the latest in a series of incidents in which Rangers players had their cars vandalized. [/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36598&Nid=110726&p=493089"]http://www.soccerame...110726&p=493089[/url]

[quote][size="5"][b]Beasley looks for humor following carbombing

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Thursday, Feb 4, 2010 6:45 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] DaMarcus Beasley tried to look on the positive side following a carbombing that destroyed the $80,000 BMW parked outside his home in the fashionable Dowanhill section on Glasgow Monday night.

"Thanks again for ALL the messages and kind words," he [url="http://twitter.com/damarcusBeasley"]wrote[/url] on Twitter. "But yea I'm doin ok and in the market for a new car! Lol..Gotta try to find some humor."

The incident was [url="http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2010/02/03/exclusive-rangers-star-damarcus-beasley-has-50k-car-firebombed-by-thugs-outside-his-home-86908-22015032/"]described[/url] by a Rangers spokesperson as "disturbing and deplorable," though police do not believe it was a sectarian attack.

A witness saw a hooded figure plant the bomb and run off. A car then sped past the fire.

"The guy put something under the car," the witness told the Glasgow Daily Record, "then walked backwards crouching down, making a line of petrol for about five meters. He lit it with what looked like a lighter and the car went up."

Beasley ran to his window after he heard the car's screeching tires and saw his car on fire.[/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36621&Nid=110786&p=493089

...and it continues...

[quote][size="5"][b]Clark out up to four weeks

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Thursday, Feb 4, 2010 6:45 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] It's a good thing the World Cup is still four months away. Otherwise, the USA would be in lots of trouble. Its injury problems grew on Wednesday when Ricardo Clark was sidelined with a muscle pull in his right calf before even playing a game with Germany's Eintracht Frankfurt. Clark is the third potential World Cup starter to be sidelined in the last three weeks following Clint Dempsey's knee injury on Jan. 19 and Steve Cherundolo's shoulder injury on Sunday.

Clark's recovery is expected to take up to four weeks. Before the injury, Eintracht Frankfurt coach [b]Michael Skibbe[/b] said Clark needed at least three weeks to get game fit be and make his Bundesliga debut.

Clark signed with Eintracht after becoming a free agent following the end of the 2009 MLS season. His injury means that he have not played a competitive game for more than three months. His last game was the MLS playoff semifinals with Houston in mid-November.

Cherundolo, who plays for Bundesliga club Hannover, is out for a month with a shoulder injury, while Dempsey is hopeful of returning to action with Fulham in the English Premier League before the end of the season.

AC Milan central defender Oguchi Onyewu (knee injury) and Sochaux forward Charlie Davies (multiple injuries suffered in car crash) have been sidelined since mid-October.

Clark's Dynamo teammate, [b]Stuart Holden[/b], has been out with a groin injury but he is set to resume light training at Bolton Wanderers, which which he also signed last month.

At Glasgow Rangers, Maurice Edu and DaMarcus Beasley were both hopeful of making comebacks to rejoin the national team for the World Cup, but they are again sidelined with injuries.

Edu and Beasley should be ready to play soon, though the injuries to the other players mean that they will all probably miss the March 3 friendly against the Netherlands -- the only match the USA will play before Coach Bob Bradley must name his World Cup team.

Bradley had counted upon having as many of his first-team players available for the Netherlands game to give the group a chance to be together one more time before the final push for the World Cup begins in late May.

[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36608&Nid=110786&p=493089"]http://www.soccerame...110786&p=493089[/url]

[quote][size="5"]USA steady at No. 14

[/size] [size="1"]Thursday, Feb 4, 2010 6:45 AM ET

[/size] [color="#ff0000"][FIFA] [/color]The U.S. men's national team remained at No. 14 -- the highest ranked Concacaf team -- and Mexico is still No. 17 in the latest FIFA's world rankings. 2008 European champion Spain held on to the No. 1 spot, followed by Brazil (2) and the Netherlands (3). Winning its third straight Africa Cup of Nations title last week lifted Egypt 14 places to No. 10 and as Croatia moved down to No. 11.

Egypt is now the second African nation to crack the Top 10 after Nigeria 1994 and 2006.

The USA's 2010 World Cup opponets are ranked 9th (England), 31st (Algeria) and 33rd (Slovenia). [b]FIFA WORLD RANKINGS TOP 10 [/b]
1 Spain
2 Brazil
3 Netherlands
4 Italy
5 Portugal
6 Germany
7 France
8 Argentina
9 England
10 Egypt

[/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36619&Nid=110786&p=493089

[quote][size="5"][b]Ching and Orozco recalled for training camp

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Friday, Feb 5, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [USA] U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley called up 23 players for a training camp beginning Wednesday at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

The group is comprised entirely of domestic-based players and will form the core of players for the friendly against El Salvador on Feb. 24 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa (TV: ESPN Classic, TeleFutura, live, 7 p.m. ET).

"These are important opportunities for these players as we continue to formulate our plans for the roster for the World Cup," said Bradley. "This camp and the game against El Salvador provide a chance for the coaching staff to get one more long look at this group. El Salvador demonstrated during World Cup qualifying that they are a difficult team to beat, so we expect a good match."

Brian Ching and recent Philadelphia Union signee Michael Orozco are the only players who were not in the January camp that preceded the game against Honduras.

U.S. ROSTER:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Troy Perkins (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Zach Thornton (Chivas USA).
DEFENDERS (7): Kevin Alston (New England Revolution), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Michael Orozco (Philadelphia Union), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC).
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Chris Pontius (D.C. United), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew).
FORWARDS (4): Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake). [/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36634&Nid=110847&p=493089

Add this to the You've Got To Be Kidding Me file

[quote][size="5"][b]And now 'Gringo' Torres is sidelined ...

[/b][/size] [size="1"]by Paul Kennedy, Friday, Feb 5, 2010 7:00 AM ET

[/size] [AMERICANS ABROAD] And the U.S. injury list keeps on growing. Midfielder Jose Francisco Torres became the seventh U.S. national team player based abroad to be sidelined since Christmas when he injured his right hamstring playing for Pachuca in Mexico's First Division. Pachuca coach Guillermo Rivarola says the Texas-born Torres could be sidelined for a few weeks.

Torres picked up the injury in the second game of the Bicentenario 2010 against Queretaro and also played on Saturday against Atlanta but came off in the second half of the 5-1 Pachuca win.

The injury comes at an inopportune time for Torres, who has been playing well for Pachuca since regaining a spot in the starting lineup.

He impressed in his most recent outing for the USA, the final World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica, but is still on the bubble for the World Cup team.

He could have called up for the midweek friendly against El Salvador on Feb. 24 in Tampa, but the injury could jeopardize his chances of playing in that game.

Torres, known in Mexico as "El Gringo," is the seventh potential U.S. World Cup player to be sidelined this winter. The others are:

-- Dec. 26: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers) thigh;
-- Mid-January: Stuart Holden (Bolton Wanderers) thigh;
-- Jan. 19: Clint Dempsey (Fulham) knee;
-- Jan. 22: Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers) ankle;
-- Jan. 31 Steve Cherundolo (Hannover) shoulder;
-- Feb. 3: Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt) calf.

In addition, AC Milan central defender Oguchi Onyewu (knee injury) and Sochaux forward Charlie Davies (multiple injuries suffered in car crash) have been sidelined since mid-October. [/quote]

http://www.socceramerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Articles.san&s=36640&Nid=110847&p=493089

[quote]
[b][size="5"][b]Will Freddy ever be ready?[/b][/size][/b]

[size="1"]By [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/expertsarchive;_ylt=AuuJ6GihyuoMk6eMu5OzUoKdXYp4?author=Martin+Rogers"]Martin Rogers[/url], Yahoo! Sports [i]Feb 4, 5:07 pm EST[/i][/size]

[list][*][/list]
This was always supposed to be Freddy Adu’s year. And Freddy Adu’s World Cup.

From the surreal moment in May 2003 when Nike pulled out its pocketbook and slapped a cool million dollars on the back of a precociously talented ninth-grade soccer sensation, Adu was earmarked for success in 2010. Back then, it was not a case of if the Ghana-born, Maryland-raised 13-year-old would emerge as a superstar, but when. While the 2006 World Cup in Germany was seen as being too early, there was little doubt that by 2010 he would be happily ensconced at a major European club and be ready to spearhead the United States’ challenge in South Africa.

So now, with the World Cup just a few months away, why is Adu kicking his heels on loan in the Greek league, with fellow American Eddie Johnson for company? And why is he so far away from national team selection that his best chance of getting to the tournament is paying for his own airfare and buying a ticket as regular fan?

Adu is still only 20 but his career has hit roadblocks at virtually every turn with each new direction only seeming to lead to another dead end. As time ticks by, there is an increasing danger that he will go down as a footnote in American soccer history, a cautionary tale to be brought out when the hype machine flares up to herald the next generation’s boy wonder.

“When young players try to move their careers along, there are no givens, no guarantees, and that is the way the game works,” USA coach Bob Bradley said. “Whatever team you are in you need to establish yourself and what you are all about, show you are someone who helps, that you are a winner, someone that does things that count. That is the challenge.

“It is about the way you train, the way you act, your ability to perform under pressure, regardless of what is written or said or how good people think you are going to be. That is how the game works for everybody.”

To his credit, Adu has not given up hope. Within moments of the World Cup draw being made last December, he publicly revealed his desperation to be involved in the squad, comments which prompted some incredulous mirth in the studio of ESPN’s broadcast.

Having ground to a halt at Benfica (the Portuguese club that acquired him from Major League Soccer’s [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/teams/rea/;_ylt=AsDUciiWwUFyxOSMAzscn0KdXYp4"]Real Salt Lake[/url] in 2007), Adu was loaned to Greek side Aris this month in search of some playing time. It is there in Thessaloniki, Greece’s second-largest city, that he and Johnson – who looked destined for big things with the USA himself after a flying start to his international career only to flounder in England with Fulham – share a common goal that is likely to prove impossible.

At least in Greece, the pair is likely to see action and cling to the desperate hope of forcing their way into coach Bob Bradley’s thoughts before the final U.S. World Cup squad is announced.

Johnson is five years older than his new teammate, yet it is Adu whose name in more recognizable to the general sports public in America. Adu has operated under scrutiny ever since that $1 million deal was announced the same week as Nike penned a certain high school basketball star to a big contract.

Seven years later, LeBron James is an international icon. Adu would be happy just to get a game every week.

“Freddy is still young and he will tell you there are things along the way he did right and things he did wrong,” Bradley said. “Now he has to take all those things to the situation he is in and show he is continuing to grow.

“Just like any other player we watch and see how it goes. There is no other way around it.”

Both Adu and Johnson accepted the challenge of playing in Greece with the idea that it may be their best shot at World Cup selection. It is unlikely to be anything other than a forlorn hope. The Greek league has some strong teams, with Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK Athens and PAOK Salonika all boasting deep rosters and dominating the top spots every year. After that, though, the level drops off significantly, meaning there are relatively few chances to produce something genuinely eye-catching against top-class opposition.

Last week, Adu produced a nice pass to set up Johnson for what was a consolation goal in a 2-1 defeat to Xanthi. Was it better than sitting on the bench? Yes. Is it enough to put them in Bradley’s considerations?

Not even close.

[b]Group C watch[/b]

England – The Football Association has left the decision on [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=ApO8lEekvdnJ9YEhbMt.EeqdXYp4?slug=ap-england-terry&prov=ap&type=lgns"]whether John Terry remains as captain[/url] solely up to head coach Fabio Capello.

Algeria – Racing Santander’s Mehdi Lacen is likely to make his first international appearance in a friendly against Serbia on March 3.

Slovenia – Captain Robert Koren remained with West Bromwich Albion during the January transfer window after assurances of extra playing time from boss Roberto Di Matteo.

[b]Smiles[/b]

DaMarcus Beasley was trying to put a brave face on the sickening attack which saw his car blown up at his Glasgow home. “I’m doing OK and I’m in the market for a new car,” he joked. “Just glad no one got hurt.”

[b]Tears[/b]

It took 12 years, but finally the long-rumored saga involving John Harkes’ alleged affair with Eric Wynalda’s wife ahead of the 1998 World Cup was finally made public this week. Wynalda referenced the issue during his “Fox Football Fone-In” show on Monday, and 1998 head coach Steve Sampson [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=AhFvPSGustH1AXTLSGck5lKdXYp4?slug=ap-us-1998scandal&prov=ap&type=lgns"]broke his long silence[/url] the following day.

[b]World Cup numerology[/b]

126 – The number of goals scored at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden where a 17-year-old Pele helped Brazil claim the trophy.

[b]The walking wounded (Gooch, Charlie and Deuce)[/b]

Oguchi Onyewu – Gooch’s knee tendon is on the mend and AC Milan head coach Leonardo admitted last week that the big American will be back in Italy within the next few weeks. Likelihood of World Cup selection: 85 percent.

Charlie Davies – The speedy striker underwent elbow surgery this week as he continues rehab from a car crash last October. Likelihood of World Cup selection: 15 percent.

Clint Dempsey – Our Fulham “mole” tells us that Deuce is progressing “slowly but surely” as he recovers from right knee ligament damage. Likelihood of World Cup selection: 95 percent.

[b]Put it on your calendar[/b]

February 9 – A fresh batch of World Cup tickets will be [url="http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Aq8Sdw7keO0.ZxSq_Pq2G4GdXYp4/SIG=14imus9j3/**http%3A//www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/02/Additional-Tickets-for-2010-FIFA-World-Cup-Games-Involving-US-Mens-National-Team.aspx"]made available to United States residents[/url] on a first-come, first-served basis.

[/quote]

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ro-worldcupwindow020410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

[font="Arial"][size="-2"][/size][/font]
[left][img]http://speed.pointroll.com/PointRoll/Media/banners/trans.gif?PRAd=1303425&PRCID=1303425&PRplcmt=955903&PRPID=955903[/img][/left]

Jozy gets his first EPL goal, finally!

[quote]
Hull followed up Tuesday's draw with Premier League leaders Chelsea by defeating Manchester City at the KC Stadium to climb out of the relegation zone.Phil Brown's side had not won since November but were buoyed by their performance against the Blues and deservedly took a 31st-minute lead through the impressive Jozy Altidore...

...The USA striker had looked lively from the start but his set-piece was deflected behind by the visitors' wall.

Boyata looked nervy and he became the second City defender to be booked inside 20 minutes when he pulled back Altidore after the striker had out-muscled him.

Stephen Hunt's free-kick from the left was headed away but, when it was launched back in, Steven Mouyokolo headed on for Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, who fired wide of the far post from 10 yards.

City simply could not get into their rhythm and it was Hull who deservedly took the lead in the 31st minute.

Boateng played the ball into Vennegoor of Hesselink just inside the area and his lay-off was expertly curled round Shay Given by Altidore for his first Premier League goal.

[/quote]

[url="http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=269894&cc=5901&league=ENG.1"]http://soccernet.esp...01&league=ENG.1[/url]

More players getting hot, more players getting injured. Should I be excited..or should I be worried?

Gotta think though, CD9's chances at the WC should be wayyyyy above 15%. I'd be shocked not to see him recovered.

[quote name='JC' date='08 February 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1265655023' post='862130']
More players getting hot, more players getting injured. Should I be excited..or should I be worried?

Gotta think though, CD9's chances at the WC should be wayyyyy above 15%. I'd be shocked not to see him recovered.
[/quote]

At this moment my state of mind "needle" is pointing slightly towards worry. Just a ton of injuries to players we will need. If everyone gets healthy and get scoring from a few different people we'll be OK. (And figure out a real solution to left back...ugh)

If Davies makes it back and is fit to play, it will be nothing short of incredible.

[quote][size="5"][b]Altidore dedicates goal to Haitians

[/b] [/size] [size="1"]by [url="http://www.socceramerica.com/author/45/paul-kennedy/"]Paul Kennedy[/url], February 8th, 2010 12:59AM

[/size]
[AMERICANS ABROAD] It took 18 games, but 20-year-old [b]Jozy Altidore[/b] finally got his first English Premier League goal, and what a goal it was. Altidore teamed up with [b]George Boateng[/b] and [b]Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink[/b] for a well-taken opening goal in Hull City's 2-1 win over Manchester City on Saturday that moved the Tigers out of the relegation zone into a tie for 14th place. Altidore, who has proven to be quite a handful for English defenses in recent weeks, celebrated by kissing the wristband he's been wearing with the flags of the United States and Haiti.

"I wear it [the wristband] every game, it has the Haitian flag on it and the American flag," he said afterwards. "It was really emotional for me because of what's going on in Haiti. I dedicate the goal to them and hope they can smile to see one of their own doing well."

Following the earthquake that struck Haiti last month, Altidore was granted compassion leave while he and his parents waited for word on the fate of their many relatives on the Caribbean island.

Since his return to action, Altidore has put together perhaps his best three games of the season. Against Wolves, he had an assist and was taken down for the penalty that led to Hull's second goal in its 2-2 tie with Wolves.

On Tuesday, fouls on Altidore led to two yellow cards on Chelsea defenders in Hull's 1-1 tie with the EPL leader, and the same thing happened to Man. City defenders on Saturday.

"It felt good," Altidore said of his first goal slotted inside the far post, "but I think the best thing about it was we got three points today, and I think was well deserved." It was a good move from the whole team, the whole play was brilliant and I think we've shown signs of improving and creating more quality opportunities for each other, so that was good."

[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/36672/altidore-dedicates-goal-to-haitians.html"]http://www.soccerame...o-haitians.html[/url]

[quote][size="5"][b]Friedel shines, Cooper back in action [/b][/size]

[AMERICANS ABROAD] Goalkeeper [b]Brad Friedel[/b] made keys saves in Aston Villa's scoreless tie with Tottenham and striker [b]Kenny Cooper [/b]debuted for Plymouth Argyle after recovering from a knee injury and leaving 1860 Munich on loan.

[b]ENGLAND, PREMIER LEAGUE
Jozy Altidore[/b] (Hull City) 66 minutes, 2-1 win over Manchester City.
Altidore scored his first EPL goal in 18 games since joining Hull.

[b]Landon Donovan[/b] (Everton) 90 minutes, 1-0 loss to Liverpool.
Everton suffered its first loss since Donovan's arrival on loan.

[b]Brad Friedel[/b] (Aston Villa) 90 minutes 0-0 tie with Tottenham Hotspur.
The 38-year-old keeper made ESPN's EPL team of the week for making spectacular saves.

[b]Marcus Hahnemann [/b](Wolves), 90 minutes 2-1 loss to Birmingham.
Wolves is second-to-last, one point inside the relegation zone.

[b]Tim Howard[/b] (Everton) 90 minutes, 1-0 loss to Liverpool.
Beaten by a Dirk Kuyt header.

[b]Jonathan Spector [/b](West Ham), 90 minutes, 2-1 loss to Burnley.
West Ham is in the relegation, third-to-last, ahead of Wolverhampton thanks to goal difference.

[b]ENGLAND, SECOND DIVISION
Jay DeMerit[/b] (Watford) 90 minutes in 1-0 loss to Barnsley.

[b]Frank Simek[/b] (Sheffield Wednesday) 90 minutes in 2-1 loss to Nottingham Forest.

[b]Kenny Cooper[/b] (Plymouth Argyle) sub, 32 minutes in 1-0 loss to West Bromwich Albion.
First appearance since arriving on loan from German second division 1860 Munich.

[b]FRANCE
Carlos Bocanegra[/b] (Rennes) 90 minutes in 4-2 win over Bordeaux.
Win over Ligue 1 leader opened up the title race but Rennes is in 8th place, 11 points from the top, although just four points from the Champions League zone.

[b]GERMANY
Michael Bradley[/b] (Borussia Moenchengladbach) 90 minutes in 1-0 loss to Mainz.
Gladbach dominated but squandered chances.
[b]
MEXICO
Edgar Castillo[/b] (Tigres) 90 minutes in 2-2 tie with Pumas UNAM.

[b]Marco Vidal[/b] (Indios) 90 minutes in 1-0 loss to Morelia.

[b]Herculez Gomez [/b](Puebla) 61 minutes in 1-1 tie with Atlante.
Scored and got a yellow card in his fourth game since arriving from MLS.

[/quote]

[url="http://www.socceramerica.com/article/36678/friedel-shines-cooper-back-in-action.html"]http://www.soccerame...-in-action.html[/url]

Archived