Kelly not coaching the Sugar Bowl....He has been hired by Notre Dame

bgwilly31

If he does this to the team He Could possibly be the biggest douchebag ever.

Biggest game in UC football history. And the Coach leaves em to fend for theirselves.

It's not official. But some of his quotes are leading to its a very good possibility.

It pisses me off even more that he was denying it to the players and the media but now he's changed it up.

For those that dont know. He's flying to NY and interviewing with the ND program on tuesday. We should know something tuesday afternoon or wed.

I understand the money for those of you that say he would be stupid to not go. But leaving before the sugar bowl is just dirty!

[quote][size="6"][b]ESPN: Kelly to interview with ND[/b][/size]

University of Cincinnati football coach Brian Kelly told Dan Patrick today that he is going to evaluate his future in the next few days and that there is no guarantee he'll be coaching in the Sugar Bowl.

And ESPN is reporting that Kelly will interview with Notre Dame on Tuesday in New York City.

Kelly told Patrick that he would know his future by Saturday. Kelly's comments came the day after UC learned it will play Florida in the Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl.

"There's a chance I could look at another job," Kelly said. "I haven't made that decision yet."

The opening Kelly has been most identified with is in South Bend, Indiana. The University of Notre Dame fired Charlie Weis last week and is expected to name Weis' replacement by the end of this week.[/quote]

from the cincinnati enquirer. to me, this sounds like he is going to take that job. that mother fucker would leave his kids hanging in the biggest bowl of their history. what a piece of shit. this now officially makes me hate ND :angry: i hope UC goes after an ex NFL coach like Gruden or someone.

Part of me gets mad, but then I wonder what I would do in the same situation. If the new job was mine to turn down, I'd finish up my tasks at the previous job, especially if it was the during the most important stretch in company history.

Maybe he feels if he doesn't take it now, someone else will jump ahead of him.

Why would any other school be allowed to demand that a coach leave his current team before the season is over? You would think that Notre Dame could wait a couple more weeks. I'm sure its recruiting related, but still. Fuck that. UC and any other school that has a coach under contract should be able to enact a clause that basically prohibits their coaches from leaving the school until the season is completely over.

He would still be able to interview, accept the job, etc...he could just keep it on the DL until after the Sugar Bowl. Its the only thing that's fair to the players. How screwed up is collegiate sports in this regard anyway? Anyone want to take a crack at making me understand how this benefits anyone other than the coach himself and the new school he's going to? Why does the NCAA allow this?

aside from salary the booster money and booster perks are 5000000x at notre dame. he will have use of "school" limos and luxury cars for him and his family there, probably housing and shit as well. plus more than double the pay.

he will be rebuilding the team, but its college, it takes, at MOST 2-3 years to build a team, its not like anyone can stick around longer than that...like he did at UC, etc..

easier to chear against notre dame,,... not that it was hard before..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='08 December 2009 - 01:05 AM' timestamp='1260252304' post='838564']
aside from salary the booster money and booster perks are 5000000x at notre dame. he will have use of "school" limos and luxury cars for him and his family there, probably housing and shit as well. plus more than double the pay.

he will be rebuilding the team, but its college, it takes, at MOST 2-3 years to build a team, its not like anyone can stick around longer than that...like he did at UC, etc..

[/quote]
I basically understand why coaches do what they do. I am wondering why there's a system in place by the NCAA that is so forgiving towards the whims of coaches and their contracts when they are so up-in-your-ass about rules regarding a player and what they may have earned working at a carwash.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='08 December 2009 - 03:55 AM' timestamp='1260253551' post='838569']
I basically understand why coaches do what they do. I am wondering why there's a system in place by the NCAA that is so forgiving towards the whims of coaches and their contracts when they are so up-in-your-ass about rules regarding a player and what they may have earned working at a carwash.
[/quote]

It's all about recruiting. A school can't afford to lose out on a month of recruiting.

If Kelly does leave, ...the next coach up will have a nice setup here with the QB's we have the next few seasons. Also, our AD is good and likely will pick out a real good replacement. After all, ...he found Dantonio and Kelly. I suggest we balance the team out a bit more by bringing in a defensive oriented HC like maybe our current DC.

Btw, ...I still believe this is posturing for a better contract. Kelly isn't the highest paid head coach in the Big East and it would be unforgivable if they didn't offer him a raise.

Also, ...Kelly needs to lose a few pounds. He's added more recently (maybe stress eating) and his light complexion shows a more reddish tint in some of his pictures. He better watch his blood pressure with that added weight. That's not a good thing.

(Note: If ND wants to turn around their football program then they need to lower their requirement for graduation.)

[quote]Kelly Will Have More Questions For ND Than Vice Versa
Reported by: Dennis Janson
Email: djanson@wcpo.com
Last Update: 11:22 am

Despite his protestations to the contrary, there was something to reports that surfaced as early as last Tuesday that Brian Kelly was a candidate for the coaching vacancy at Notre Dame.

As recently as Saturday afternoon, in the wake of UC's stirring come from behind win over Pitt for the Big East Championship, Kelly bristled at questions about whether he was interested in succeeding Charlie Weis.

Monday morning, Kelly was a guest on Dan Patrick's show on ESPN radio and said he couldn't guarantee he would coach the Bearcats in their Sugar Bowl battle against Florida.

That was when the red flags soared. He couldn't guarantee that he'd be part of what he said was the team’s goal since the start of training camp! What followed next was to be expected: He told his team that he would indeed interview with Notre Dame officials, possibly as early as Tuesday.

That, however, should not be taken as the death knell for the Kelly era at UC. Brian Kelly is smart enough to ask his own questions when he meets with Irish brass bearing bags of swag.

First and foremost, he will be curious as to whether Notre Dame will promise some level of flexibility regarding their historically rigorous academic standards. Kelly doesn't want morons playing for him, but neither is it necessary they all be Rhodes Scholars.

Notre Dame calls for potential recruits to have three years of math, science, history and a foreign language. In addition to a high GPA, community involvement and letters of recommendation are allegedly required.

These rules eliminate great swaths of potential recruits from even being considered for admission. Another long-standing policy at Notre Dame is a prohibition against redshirting freshman, giving them time to put on muscle, get acclimated to the college atmosphere, etc..

If Notre Dame isn't willing to amend these policies, I fully expect a "Thanks, but no thanks" from Kelly.

It is more their call than his. [/quote]

http://www.wcpo.com/content/sports/bearcatfootball/story/Kelly-Will-Have-More-Questions-For-ND-Than-Vice/rBtFMKutsku7NTnjibQNpg.cspx

[quote name='GoBengals' date='08 December 2009 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1260252304' post='838564']

[/quote]

yes ND is a better job than UC, but he wont last more than 5 years before he is canned.

Kelly would do well to look long and hard at the situation he'll have to work in there. However, despite the Cheatriots scandal that has come to light since his hire, Weis wasn't exactly a slough as a coach, and was heralded as a genius NFL coach and a great hire when he arrived. The same guy is now truly loathed and universally mocked, a big fat laughingstock. I'm sure every good coach thinks he's better than the rest, and Kelly may think - perhaps rightfully - that things will be different when he's there because he's better. But the fact that a highly-regarded NFL coach was completely demolished in that environment should make him look twice before stepping into the same job.

I think its pretty obvious that Brian Kelly really wants this job. LOL i was watching Jim Rome and he was talking about how Brian Kelly would crawl on hands and knees and do anything for this job. Kelly is just the type of guy who ditches his crew when he sees a chance at self-improvement. Its gonna happen. He did it to CMU when he came here. He'll do it to us. Fuck him

[quote name='top6' date='07 December 2009 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1260218908' post='838375']
This is exactly what he did to Central Michigan when he went to UC. What goes around comes around.
[/quote]

Central Michigan was a top 3 team about to play in a BCS Bowl, and he left them for a 6-6 team?

If he does go, it is a douchebag move, and I will root even harder against Notre Dame then I did before.

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/12/08/brian-kelly-crossed-the-line/"][b][size="5"]Brian Kelly crossed the line[/size][/b][/url][size="5"]
[/size]Posted by [email="chickludwig@yahoo.com"]cludwig[/email] December 8th, 2009, 11:55 am [i][b]

==="Typing Away With Chick Ludwig" believes that if Brian Kelly accepts the Notre Dame job, he'll be no different than his predecessors, who used the University of Cincinnati as a stepping-stone — not a destination. He just so happened to build a national power along the way. ===[/b][/i]

Like many aficionados of the University of Cincinnati football program, I was too caught up in the euphoria of the Bearcats' 45-44 victory over Pitt to care about much of anything else.

Looking back on Saturday's triumph, coach Brian Kelly was at his best and his worst.

He was at his best on the sidelines and in the locker room, orchestrating and motivating the Bearcats' come-from-behind heroics.

But he was at his worst in the post-game news conference.

Kelly was doing just fine up until the Notre Dame questions started coming …

… and then he crossed the line when he chastised the media for spreading so much — what was it? — "misinformation."

It was widely reported by national news services that Kelly said he would "entertain" an interview with Notre Dame.

When pressed for more information, Mount Kellymanjaro came close to erupting.

It was not polite. What's more, it was totally off base. Kelly has been the one dancing around the subject since Charlie Weis' ouster in South Bend.

Kelly reportedly told his team he wasn't going anywhere. Then why not tell the world the same thing?

Easy answer. Because he wanted to keep his options open, listen to Notre Dame's pitch — which comes today in New York — and see if there's enough mutual interest to move forward and make Kelly the Fighting Irish head coach.

Notre Dame used to be the nation's premier football program.

Notre Dame used to be a perennial national championship contender.

Notre Dame used to be the most prestigious coaching job in the country.

It's not that way anymore. Strip away the hype and the myth, and you'll find that Notre Dame is just another football program fighting to be a consistent winner.

Kelly is a great coach and a genius when it comes to the spread offense. He's a communicator, politician, salesman and psychologist, and you have to love his confidence, cockiness, swagger and arrogance.

But he still has a lot to learn, such as …

Don't kill the messenger. Don't bite the hand that helps feed you — and keeps driving your salary up.

In other words, don't mess with the media. That's a battle you'll never win.

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/ludwig/2009/12/08/brian-kelly-crossed-the-line/"]http://cincinnati.co...ossed-the-line/[/url]

While I agree it is shitty that a coach would leave before the bowl game to go to another school...

I've always thought it was awkward when the coach stayed and coached while also trying to put his staff together at the new school - especially when he's wanting to take 3/4 to all of his current staff from the current school. It is like you know they're only putting in about 10-15% of their time into game-planning for the bowl game because they could care less. Honestly, the players are the ones that get screwed...

I've always felt that when a coach leaves a school - those players really are very limited in what they can do. Transfer and sit out a year or transfer down... while the coach can just go off to the next great job.

Another thing, regarding the UC job - maybe you guys that follow it more closely can answer... my understanding is that there is a perception that UC wants a young coach... why? There is the perception that it is a stepping stone job and that will only feed on if you hire a young, up and coming coach again that'll take the big payday if he has some success. Why not go hire a Fulmer or Tommy Tuberville that are a little older, have had success in the toughest conference in college football, and would be more likely to stay 8+ years... Tuberville is only like 55 - he could easily coach another 10-12 years himself... and those guys, to me, are going to be more stable and much more likely to stay for the long haul.

Just my thoughts on it...

I think he's handled it pretty well with most of the sports media and guys posting on this thread stating it as fact that he's taking the ND job and ditching the Bearcats in the Bowl game. Was he supposed to be honest in the locker room before the Pitt game? "Circle up, guys! Before we run out the tunnel, I want to let everybody know that I'm probably leaving for Notre Dame. Now let's go out and win this game. Go Bearcats!!!". Then after the miraculous comeback, he was supposed to take all of the attention away from how great the kids played and feed the reporters by saying that he was probably going to ND. What was he supposed to do? He's not going after the ND job, their going after him. How much of the speculation is he responsible for?

Kelly confirmed to The Enquirer via text message that he would not have a formal interview with Notre Dame on Tuesday.

[b]“Keep in mind, I am talking with UC, too,” Kelly said in the text.[/b]

The UC coach did not respond to a text seeking additional comment.

Kelly and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick were in New York on Tuesday for the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame dinner amid reports that Kelly would be interviewed. According to the South Bend Tribune, that interview is expected to take place Wednesday.

The Chicago Tribune reported Tuesday that talks had progressed to the point where Kelly could be announced as the successor to Charlie Weis as early as Friday.

The UC football banquet is scheduled for Thursday night.

[b]According to The Tribune report, Kelly met with representatives of Notre Dame last week, within days of UC’s Big East championship game vs. Pittsburgh.

Kelly told The Enquirer on Dec. 2 – four days before the Pitt game – that he had had no contact with Notre Dame and that he would not talk to the Irish them until after the Pitt game even if they reached out to him.[/b]

“Even if they were reaching out to me, I’m finishing out the season just like I have every year,” Kelly said. “We’re going to focus on Pittsburgh this week. After the Pittsburgh game, we can talk about other things.”

He also criticized reporters for asking about the Notre Dame during the week leading up to the Pitt game.

“It’s irrelevant,” he said. “It’s absolutely irrelevant … All that stuff is going to have to wait for another time.”

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091208/SPT0101/312080060/1064/No+formal+interview+today"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091208/SPT0101/312080060/1064/No+formal+interview+today[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' date='09 December 2009 - 08:52 AM' timestamp='1260363137' post='839134']
Central Michigan was a top 3 team about to play in a BCS Bowl, and he left them for a 6-6 team?

If he does go, it is a douchebag move, and I will root even harder against Notre Dame then I did before.
[/quote]

Totally have to disagree. I kinda get the impression that you are not a Notre Dame fan. As it has already be mentioned, money-wise, how could you -not- pass up an opportunity like this? And, prestige-wise, a job like this only opens up maybe twice a career, and your resume has to be good enough to be in sync with the opportunity to secure such a job.

Now, as a Notre Dame fan myself, I really do not want them to sign Kelly. I would much rather have them find someone of the coaching philosophy akin to AFC North football; stout defense, a grinding, soulbreaking running game, and a passing game that has potential to gouge defenses, but doesn't necessarily have to on every possession. As much as I know it would never happen, I would be thrilled to see Bill Cowher coach there.

[quote name='Hooky' date='09 December 2009 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1260367071' post='839155']
I think he's handled it pretty well with most of the sports media and guys posting on this thread stating it as fact that he's taking the ND job and ditching the Bearcats in the Bowl game. Was he supposed to be honest in the locker room before the Pitt game? "Circle up, guys! Before we run out the tunnel, I want to let everybody know that I'm probably leaving for Notre Dame. Now let's go out and win this game. Go Bearcats!!!". Then after the miraculous comeback, he was supposed to take all of the attention away from how great the kids played and feed the reporters by saying that he was probably going to ND. What was he supposed to do? He's not going after the ND job, their going after him. How much of the speculation is he responsible for?
[/quote]
:41: Totally agree. The press conference immediately after the game was not the place to hammer the ND rumors home. Reporters who disregard the first couple responses of "I am not going to be answering these questions, please keep the questions to..." deserve the backlash that they get. Reminds me of the 'Dead Cat Bounce' douchebag from last season in the Bengals post game interviews.

[quote][size="7"]Source: Irish interested in Edsall[/size]
Comment Email Print Share
By Joe Schad
ESPN

One day after a source familiar with the Notre Dame coaching search said things were "heating up" with Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly, another coach has emerged.

[b]There is mutual interest between Notre Dame and Connecticut coach Randy Edsall, another source said Wednesday.[/b]

Edsall is a solid defensive mind who showed great leadership on the Connecticut campus in the wake of the tragic death of player Jasper Howard.

The Huskies also beat Notre Dame this season.

On Tuesday, Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh reiterated that he had no scheduled meetings with Notre Dame. And Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, also mentioned as a possible candidate, said he had not had any discussions with representatives for the Irish.[/quote]

I may never say this again in my entire lifetime, but go UCONN!

[quote name='Xombie' date='09 December 2009 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1260398514' post='839453']
Totally have to disagree. I kinda get the impression that you are not a Notre Dame fan. As it has already be mentioned, money-wise, how could you -not- pass up an opportunity like this? And, prestige-wise, a job like this only opens up maybe twice a career, and your resume has to be good enough to be in sync with the opportunity to secure such a job.

Now, as a Notre Dame fan myself, I really do not want them to sign Kelly. I would much rather have them find someone of the coaching philosophy akin to AFC North football; stout defense, a grinding, soulbreaking running game, and a passing game that has potential to gouge defenses, but doesn't necessarily have to on every possession. As much as I know it would never happen, I would be thrilled to see Bill Cowher coach there.
[/quote]

Xombie... I grew up a Notre Dame fan, went to private school through 12th grade (Moeller), etc., etc., etc. followed Notre Dame through and through - back in the Tony Rice / Chris Zorich / Jerome Bettis days...

brother - you need to step back and look at the "prestige" of the Notre Dame job now... it isn't like it was back then when Holtz had it. It is no longer a "opens up maybe twice in your lifetime" type of position... if it was Urban Meyer would have taken it twice by now... He cut his teeth at Notre Dame - it is the only job that he has always kept open with his Florida contract to where there'd be no buyout if he went there. Yet, he turned it down going from Utah to Florida, and he's turned it down this year while he's at Florida. Stoops turned it down...

It isn't quite as prestigious as you still believe it to be... and that comes from a fellow Notre Dame fan.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='10 December 2009 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1260450998' post='839622']
Xombie... I grew up a Notre Dame fan, went to private school through 12th grade (Moeller), etc., etc., etc. followed Notre Dame through and through - back in the Tony Rice / Chris Zorich / Jerome Bettis days...

brother - you need to step back and look at the "prestige" of the Notre Dame job now... it isn't like it was back then when Holtz had it. It is no longer a "opens up maybe twice in your lifetime" type of position... if it was Urban Meyer would have taken it twice by now... He cut his teeth at Notre Dame - it is the only job that he has always kept open with his Florida contract to where there'd be no buyout if he went there. Yet, he turned it down going from Utah to Florida, and he's turned it down this year while he's at Florida. Stoops turned it down...

It isn't quite as prestigious as you still believe it to be... and that comes from a fellow Notre Dame fan.
[/quote]
Maybe Tennessee could just let Notre Dame have Lane Kiffin. I hear he's a [i]hell of a recruiter[/i], and a much, [i]much[/i] more honorable and trustworthy coach than say, a dirtbag like John Calipari.

:ninja:

Archived