Possible coaching candidates to replace Brian Kelly at Cincinnati

oldschooler

[quote name='STRAYCAT' date='12 December 2009 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1260674827' post='840624']
Kerry Combs....home grown and all the skyline he can eat. :clapping:
[/quote]

I take it you're from Colerain?

Kerry's a good guy and a good coach, but not nearly experienced enough. If UC's serious about being one of the big boys, he doesn't even sniff a realistic chance at the job.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 December 2009 - 07:52 AM' timestamp='1260705153' post='840669']
I take it you're from Colerain?

Kerry's a good guy and a good coach, but not nearly experienced enough. If UC's serious about being one of the big boys, he doesn't even sniff a realistic chance at the job.
[/quote]

no way is he ready to HC. He would be a good option at DC though. He has to get coordinator experience first.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 December 2009 - 07:52 AM' timestamp='1260705153' post='840669']
I take it you're from Colerain?..no not from colerain...just like to see a hometown guy get the job

[/quote]

I'm starting to think that this is Quinn's job. Can Cincinnati wait until AFTER the bowl game to name a coach? If they have a new coach in mind, wouldn't Cincinnati want him to coach the team in the bowl game?

Turner Gill took the Kansas job.

Al Golden says that Cincinnati hasn't contacted him.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='12 December 2009 - 01:20 AM' timestamp='1260589859' post='840471']
diaco is gone, THANK GOD.

if quinn gets offered the HC job he will stay. if he doesnt get offered it he will leave. as much as the media goes on about BK, quinn developed the playbook that Kelly uses. Kelly calls the plays but they are Quinns plays. Quinn has plays handy incase BK doesnt get a play in quick enough but for the most part Kelly calls the game. I would love to have quinn though.
[/quote]

That's not quite accurate........Kelly and Quinn developed the playbook together, with Kelly's stamp on it more so than Quinn's.....it's actually been developed for a while. Of course they add in new wrinkles here and there but fundamentally, the playbook was put together 6 or 7 yrs ago.

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='12 December 2009 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1260658505' post='840590']
Kevin Sumlin is out of the picture

From CFT
[/quote]

Damage Control by Sumlin's agent. He wouldn't have been a good fit here. I think Butch Jones is the frontrunner in this. Quinn is also a viable candidate whereas he wasn't up until about Friday of last week. The players like him and Coombs very much but Coombs hasnt even been a coordinator in college yet much less a head coach. That would be like an NFL team hiring a QB coach to be an NFL head coach.........only an idiotic owner would do something like that......oh wait, Daniel Snyder.

[quote name='CougarQuest' date='14 December 2009 - 12:47 AM' timestamp='1260760665' post='842136']
I'm starting to think that this is Quinn's job. Can Cincinnati wait until AFTER the bowl game to name a coach? If they have a new coach in mind, wouldn't Cincinnati want him to coach the team in the bowl game?

Turner Gill took the Kansas job.

Al Golden says that Cincinnati hasn't contacted him.
[/quote]

Mike Thomas has been quoted as saying that he'll move fast on this.......I wouldn't think it will be after the bowl, instead I would expect a coach to be named in the next week or so. The recruiting period has started and even a week lost is damaging.

Al Golden's done a fairly good job at Temple but I don't know much about him. Seems like a good coach.

Turner Gill was 20-30 or so at Buffalo........I don't see why he was a candidate for a major program's HC job. I feel bad for Kansas.

I don't understand UC going after these guys that are prototypically the same thing that Dantonio and Kelly were...

up and comers that are going to stay 2-3 years and move onto a bigger "football" conference school.

Tuberville had to recruit to Ole Miss and Auburn... if he can recruit to those places he can recruit to the city of Cincinnati... now, atmosphere is a different thing. But, he was an assistant at Miami for years so he has really good ties in the state of Florida which never hurts.

Fulmer had to recruit nationally as the state of Tennessee sucks for high school talent, as a whole. But, he can recruit with the best of them. The guy needs to swallow some pride and bring in good X's and O's OC and DC and he'd be extremely successful.

For UC... I think either of these two guys are a perfect fit. They could potentially stay there for 8-10 years and build a nice program with stability. While everyone else on that list is a 2-3 year guy that is going to move on.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='14 December 2009 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1260818526' post='842430']
I don't understand UC going after these guys that are prototypically the same thing that Dantonio and Kelly were...

up and comers that are going to stay 2-3 years and move onto a bigger "football" conference school.

Tuberville had to recruit to Ole Miss and Auburn... if he can recruit to those places he can recruit to the city of Cincinnati... now, atmosphere is a different thing. But, he was an assistant at Miami for years so he has really good ties in the state of Florida which never hurts.

Fulmer had to recruit nationally as the state of Tennessee sucks for high school talent, as a whole. But, he can recruit with the best of them. The guy needs to swallow some pride and bring in good X's and O's OC and DC and he'd be extremely successful.

For UC... I think either of these two guys are a perfect fit. They could potentially stay there for 8-10 years and build a nice program with stability. While everyone else on that list is a 2-3 year guy that is going to move on.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've had the same thought. If UC wants a coach to stay here for a while, then why not take a flier on one of those 2 coaches. UC's in the early stages of developing a national program so continuity would be a nice thing to have.

Butch Jones and Skip Holtz are being interviewed and supposedly, the Bearcats hope to name the new Head Coach by Friday.

Holtz is already making the kind of money that UC will offer. Of course, he would have a better conference. His dad has been greasing the skids for Skip to go to UC well before Kelly admitted he was going to interview for ND's job.

Butch Jones has been getting a lot of recommendations for the job. Marshall reportedly has a contract offer to him. And Central Michigan has a new contract ready for him also.

Quinn has reportedly already interviewed for the job.

Pat Hill signed a contract extension with Fresno State yesterday.

The Buffalo News is saying that Jeff Quinn is up for Buffalo's job, vacated by Turner Gill.

[quote name='IKOTA' date='14 December 2009 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1260809051' post='842342']
Mike Thomas has been quoted as saying that he'll move fast on this.......I wouldn't think it will be after the bowl, instead I would expect a coach to be named in the next week or so. The recruiting period has started and even a week lost is damaging.

[/quote]
I guess what I was really getting at is that I was kind of surprised that they named Quinn as the coach for the Sugar Bowl (Jan. 1st), when they are looking for a head coach and hoped to name the new coach before the Sugar Bowl. If Quinn is not selected as the new head coach, wouldn't UC suspect that he might likely go to ND with Kelly? Or... he could be named the new Head Coach somewhere else that recently has an opening. And the last time they had a situation like this, they let Kelly, the newly named head coach, coach the team in the Bowl game.

If it's Butch Jones, Central Michigan is in the GMAC Bowl that is on Jan. 6th. Is CMU going to want him coaching their team if he is UC's new coach?

If it's Skip Holtz, East Carolina is in the Liberty Bowl, that is on Jan. 2nd. Is ECU going to want him coaching their team if he is UC's new coach?

And the new coach is going to want to bring in some of "his" people. Most likely those people are going to come from the new coach's previous school.

I dont' remember, did the Bearcat's name an interim coach before the bowl game last time, and then let Kelly coach it when they named him?

From the Cincinnati Enquirer

[quote]
[b]CINCINNATI - [/b] ESPN reported Tuesday night that Central Michigan coach Butch Jones will be the next football coach at the University of Cincinnati. The network cited three sources.

Jones and East Carolina coach Skip Holtz both interviewed at Cincinnati, with Jones ultimately emerging as the leading candidate.

• [b][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=AB&Dato=20091215&Kategori=SPT0101&Lopenr=912150803&Ref=PH"]Photos: Butch Jones[/url][/b]
• [b][url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=spt010101"]UC vs. Florida: Sugar Bowl coverage[/url][/b]

If Jones is named, it would be the second time in three years that UC has gone to Central Michigan to find a football coach.

Jones coached for one year under Kelly at Central before moving on as an assistant under Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia. He then took over at CMU after Kelly left for UC and has gone 26-13 in three years.

He's preparing his team to play Troy in the GMAC Bowl on Jan. 6.

He's believed to be an attractive candidate because his teams run a wide-open offense similar to the spread offense that Kelly ran at UC.

Jones has three years left on his Central Michigan contract with a buyout clause of $450,000. That buyout clause goes up to $700,000 if he leaves before the Chippewas play in the their bowl game.

Jones, 41, was the running backs coach at Central Michigan from 1999 to 2001 and the offensive coordinator from 2002-04.

He left to become the wide receivers coach at West Virginia in 2005 and 2006 then returned to Central to replace Kelly after Kelly was hired at UC.

He's 26-13 at Central Michigan, with Mid-American Conference championships in 2007 and 2009.[/quote]

Wonder who is going to coach UC in their Bowl game? The players report tomorrow.

BTW, I like the pick.

If Mike Bajakian isn't hired as the coach at CMU, I'd like to see him come to UC.

Steve Stripling is another one I'd like to see join UC

[b][size="5"]Sources: Jones to coach Bearcats[/size][/b]
ESPN.com news services

Cincinnati is tapping into the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=2117"]Central Michigan[/url] pipeline again.

Chippewas coach Butch Jones will be named the next Cincinnati coach, three people briefed on the decision told ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Tuesday. Jones will succeed Brian Kelly, who was hired by [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=87"]Notre Dame[/url] after leading the Bearcats to a 12-0 record this season.

Kelly coached Central Michigan from 2004-06 before being hired by Cincinnati.

Jones is 26-13 in three seasons with Central Michigan. He led the Chippewas to an 11-2 mark and a berth in the GMAC Bowl this season.

Bearcats offensive coordinator Jeff Quinn has been preparing Cincinnati for the Allstate Sugar Bowl appearance against [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=57"]Florida[/url]. Quinn, who was an assistant at Central Michigan with Kelly, had expressed interest in retaining the top job.

It's unclear whether Jones would coach Cincinnati in its bowl game Jan. 1. The Chippewas will play Troy in the GMAC Bowl on Jan. 6.

Jones' offensive philosophy -- he kept Kelly's spread offense at Central Michigan -- and his familiarity with the Big East worked in his favor. He was an offensive coordinator at Central Michigan before moving to West Virginia as an assistant to Rich Rodriguez in 2005-06. When Kelly left for Cincinnati, he got his job at Central Michigan.

While Jones was at West Virginia, the Mountaineers had one of the nation's top offenses. That worked in his favor -- next season, Cincinnati will return the nucleus of an offense that is one of the nation's best. Cincinnati is looking to keep its wide-open offensive philosophy.

Quinn coached Central Michigan to a 31-14 win over Middle Tennessee State in the Motor City Bowl in 2006 after Kelly left for Cincinnati.

Whoever coaches the Bearcats in the Sugar Bowl has a tough challenge. Players were angry and stunned when Kelly told them last Thursday -- after their annual awards banquet -- that he was leaving for Notre Dame. A week earlier, Kelly had told his players he was happy in Cincinnati, and said on a radio show that he was staying.

All the change could lead to a distracted team for the bowl game.

"Our focus is to congratulate them for being 12-0 and getting them ready for the Sugar Bowl," Quinn said earlier Tuesday. "We've circled the wagons.

"Sometimes, it feels like you're drinking water through a fire hose. We have to get their minds off the process of who is the next coach and focus on the task at hand. The message isn't changing. It's just coming from a different voice."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4746710"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4746710[/url]

I think it is probably a good hire in terms of he should be successful on the field... even if it was Kelly's players - the same formula will be in play at UC too.

Where it isn't a good hire is that you're running that treadmill where if he has 3 years of success and a bigger, better job comes open (which they inevitably do every season) he's gone. If he's not gone then that most likely means he's not doing too well at UC... which then means the UC program is suffering...

Bottom line... in 3-4 years UC will be having another coaching search... either to replace this guy because he moved on to greener pastures, or because he got fired.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='16 December 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1260995662' post='843209']
I think it is probably a good hire in terms of he should be successful on the field... even if it was Kelly's players - the same formula will be in play at UC too.

Where it isn't a good hire is that you're running that treadmill where if he has 3 years of success and a bigger, better job comes open (which they inevitably do every season) he's gone. If he's not gone then that most likely means he's not doing too well at UC... which then means the UC program is suffering...

Bottom line... in 3-4 years UC will be having another coaching search... either to replace this guy because he moved on to greener pastures, or because he got fired.
[/quote]

UC is in the beginning stages of developing a national program. Coaching turnover is a necessary step in this until the facilities can be put in place and the program established enough that its a "destination job". It's not that far off however as the most important things are in place (BCS conference, support from Administration, support from fans, renovation in the works for facilities upgrade).

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='16 December 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1260995662' post='843209']

[/quote]

Also, if the ND job didn't come open, Brian Kelly stays here, and God knows how long he would have stayed. He truly liked Cincinnati as did his family. The ND job was his dream so he took it. I don't think another job would have been able to lure him away from what he was building here.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='16 December 2009 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1260993525' post='843200']
i really wanted the coach from East Carolina.
[/quote]

I liked him, but thought it was odd that he was in the running when he was already making the kind of money that the Bearcats would be offering (based on what Kelly was making).

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='16 December 2009 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1260995662' post='843209']

[/quote]
It comes down to money. UC has made GREAT strides in their football program. So much so that they are being talked about joining the Big 10. (For that to happen, in my opinion, they need a bigger stadium). This school in no longer just a Basketball school. If UC continues to be in the top 25, top 10, they will get more and more TV. And TV means money for the program. It also means Bowl games. And Bowl games means money for the program. And we all know what money does for programs. Money will allow UC to be allowed to pay coaches more.

On paper, I'd say that Butch Jones is better qualified to take over at UC than Kelly was 3 years ago when he took over at UC. He has experience in the Big East.

I'm glad to hear, as I think we all expected anyway, that Kerry Combs is still going to be with UC.

Archived