1 Day Minor League Contract on Ebay

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[u]Put me in, coach
River City Rascals auctioning one-day pro contract
Wednesday May 4, 2005
Cnn.com
[/u]

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- WANTED: Charitable someone at least 18 years old itching to take a crack at playing in a professional baseball game, ready to go deep but with deep enough pockets to buy the chance. Glove, shoes and a pen to sign an injury waiver required. Chewing tobacco not included.

Thinking the offer could be fair game as a gift or for anyone looking to fulfill a fantasy involving America's pastime, minor-league baseball's River City Rascals of the independent Frontier League are auctioning off a "one-day professional contract" with the team.

The highest bidder on the eBay listing that began April 28 and runs through 8 p.m. CDT Sunday gets to hit and gets a guaranteed half inning in the outfield May 20 when the Rascals host the Gateway Grizzles in their only preseason game at T.R. Hughes Ballpark in O'Fallon, a St. Louis suburb.

As of midday Wednesday, the only bid was $999.

The winner gets 20 tickets to the game, at least one trip to the batter's box and will be furnished with a uniform, with the jersey and hat theirs to keep. The player is on the hook for his or her own glove, shoes, transportation, meals, any housing or possible groin pull.

Proceeds from the sale go to the United Way.

On the team's Web site, the Rascals -- an independent team not affiliated with any major-league team -- said they consider the auction a natural extension of unique items already for sale on eBay, including everything from islands to and a wad of gum chewed by Britney Spears.

Messages were left Wednesday with the Rascals seeking comment on the promotion.

If the game is rained out, the winner will play with the Rascals when they again face the Grizzlies on May 21 at GMC Stadium in nearby Sauget, Ill.

Guest BlackJesus
If this was offered as being allowed to play in one play for the Bengals during the season I would pay at least 5,000 $

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='May 5 2005, 09:16 PM']If this was offered as being allowed to play in one play for the Bengals during the season I would pay at least 5,000 $
[right][post="88990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Most def. I would be selling everything I own, well almost.

Archived