WTF is going on at UT?

Lane Kiffin starts the story early last year, when he offered a scholarship to Daniel Hood, a defensive end from Knoxville who, as a 13-year old, was convicted of kidnapping and raping his 14-year old cousin. This was already on top of a whole litany of recruiting violations and smack talk to other SEC East teams.

Legally, things got interesting back in November, when three members of the football team (while wearing UT clothes) held a guy up at a gas station with a pellet gun at a gas station 2 blocks from campus, and escaped in a Prius. One of the victims, Cory Zickefoose, brushed the incident off, saying "It's Tennessee."

Several days later, another football player was arrested for trying to steal a polo shirt from a department store.

Now 4 basketball players are busted for driving around a rental car while intoxicated with marijuana and guns in the car. The guns had altered serial numbers, which is a real problem for these kids.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pms752sjlNI[/media]
The 50 second mark is hilarious.

Anyway, why is all of this shit hitting the fan at once? Should any NCAA violations be enforced at UT? Is every college town some kind of gangland, and the local media everywhere else just does a better job at suppressing it?

Well...

Regarding Daniel Hood... he wasn't involved in the situation that occurred when he was 13. I'm not saying he is a choir boy, but he was only present (not participative) when the "sexual event" took place and it only received criminal charges because I think one of them was 18, the other 16 (if I remember that correctly)... even the girl that was involved in that "sexual event" even wrote a letter to Catholic High School where Daniel now attends supporting him in that he's grown up. Anybody that is talked to at Catholic about this kid stands by him and supports him. Apparently, he's been a model citizen for the last 4 years...

As for the 3 football players... as it is reported, Jansen Jackson was in the store at the time the pellet gun "holdup occurred" and came out and told the guys to get in the car and lets go...
He's still on the team after a suspension, the other two, one a prized top recruit, are gone.

And, the 4 basketball players, still waiting on all the crap to come out about it... but Tyler Smith is just dumb. As for the others... whatever. If what they're accused of is true, they're thugs, kick em to the curb. Smith kills me because he's been a model teammate and student, captain, senior, legit NBA draft pick. To even allow yourself to be in that situation is just stupid.

We run a halfway house!!! :triniti: :hunter: :1441:

I will say... Lane Kiffin brings a lot of the media scrutiny on himself by running his cock-holster but Knoxville being small hurts as the cops have nothing else to do. Go check Florida's traffic violations (and sundry other criminal activities) since Meyer's been there - pretty interesting reading... or Meyer's and Richt's secondary violations... or Pete Carroll's secondary violations... Kiffin's pale in comparison.

But, you draw attention to yourself you better be squeaky clean. They've all had more actual violations than Kiffin has... but he runs his mouth.

Yeah, I was wondering about Smith, above all. He seems like one of those guys who never puts up the greatest stats, but he is a very long guard or small forward who is a very valuable role player. There isn't a team in the country that couldn't get this kid some minutes.

UT's AD Mike Hamilton announced earlier this week a zero tolerance policy regarding guns of any sort...

Found in possession of one - gone. About damn time. I wonder how many other major universities have this in place now... I'll bet not many.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' date='06 January 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1262836439' post='852998']
Well we've got weapons.....we still have got weapons.............that's terrible
[/quote]

I hadn't watched that clip until this morning...

That is just damn funny. I'd bet my house that he did that intentionally. He made it look like a gaffe - but he's a manipulator of the media and I guarantee is did that slip up intentionally.

Still funny as hell.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='07 January 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1262871887' post='853049']
UT's AD Mike Hamilton announced earlier this week a zero tolerance policy regarding guns of any sort...

Found in possession of one - gone. About damn time. I wonder how many other major universities have this in place now... I'll bet not many.
[/quote]
It's hard to tell, because most other major universities apparently don't have as many players roaming the streets with loaded weapons.

[quote name='#22' date='07 January 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1262881731' post='853091']
It's hard to tell, because most other major universities apparently don't have as many players roaming the streets with loaded weapons.
[/quote]

Yeah - I'm sure this type of thing is distinctly unique to UT and Knoxville, Tn... I think not.

[quote name='#22' date='07 January 2010 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1262909439' post='853330']
Prove it.
[/quote]

Well... about a 30 second search pulled up a study done that resolved that 26.7% of college male athletes carry or have carried a weapon as a college athete...

or

[url="http://www.fanblogs.com/florida_state/007566.php"]FSU Player Pled Guilty to Concealed Weapon[/url]

or

[url="http://www.concealedcampus.org/"]Colorado State actually allows students (all students) to carry concealed on campus...[/url]
This link also reflects that South Carolina students, yes athlete and non-athlete, can have weapons in their cars on campus... Same with Michigan State...

and... UK only has a policy stating that students, both athlete and non-athlete, as well as faculty and staff, are not allowed to have weapons inside University buildings or vehicles only... nothing specific as to "on campus"...

There are a few ... I think that "proves it."

[quote name='#22' date='07 January 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1262923094' post='853383']
Hahaha. How many athletes at these schools have been busted for guns in the last 3 months?
[/quote]

Whatever... you wanted me to prove that there are, or have been, college athletes with weapons.

Did that. But, again, whatever...

[quote name='#22' date='08 January 2010 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1262974132' post='853549']
It may seem like UT just kicked the best player off the team of the four, but I think Pearl is thinking of the future here, since Smith wouldn't be on next year's team, anyway.
[/quote]

Yeah - Tyler is gone. If he's guilty of it then he should be. He's guilty of being stupid... I know that.

I guess legally they've got to let the police investigation complete and get those finding before making a final determination. Or, you potentially run into the deal where the player comes back and sues the university (if the charges were to end up being false / dropped). There is a player suing a university right now for him losing his opportunity at a professional football career. The school booted him before the court process completed, etc. and then he was found not guilty later on...

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='12 January 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1263349783' post='856767']
And now Kiffin is apparently headed to USC after one year at Tennessee.
[/quote]

Yep. Good - he was a joke here.

[quote name='JC' date='12 January 2010 - 10:20 PM' timestamp='1263352815' post='856776']
So much for signing rocky top all night long after beating Florida..
[/quote]

Ha, ha. That is pretty funny.

[quote name='#22' date='13 January 2010 - 12:38 AM' timestamp='1263361105' post='856797']
CRAZY. Kiffin saying he left UT better than he found it is, a.) Disrespectful to one of the best college coaches of the last 25 years, and b.) not at all true.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that. What I find funny are all the Tennessee fans that are pissed and stuff. I said this when they fired Fulmer and went the "professional coach for hire" route...

It is no longer about the Orange tradition, or keeping it in the Tennessee family, etc. Kiffin had even cut the Vol walk down to like 1/4 of what it was in the past.

Once you started down this road with coaches they don't care about the school - these fans are blind if they think he did... and, he was bringing great players here because he was a good recruiter and he had good position coaches coaching them. I don't know how good a coordinator he was - apparently, neither did he because he hired Norm Chow away from UCLA to be his OC at USC...

And, the rioting - true. They had fires all over campus last night. Classy... didn't care for him when he was coach here, good riddance.

If I was picking the guy - I'd go back after David Cutcliffe at Duke. He was the OC here for years... he's built successful programs at Ole Miss, and they fired him because he didn't win 10 games his 3rd season after having 3 consecutive winning seasons for the first time in their history, and he's pretty successful at Duke as well. Tennessee guy through and through. The problem they've got now is the recruiting class will be shot - it is so late in the game at this point. You're about 3 weeks from signing day...

Archived