Update: Chad says he'll practice; Tank brakes; Frigid Bowl; Palmer asks for no boos

[quote name='scharm' date='06 January 2010 - 12:59 PM' timestamp='1262800769' post='852706']
I would say the people booing at home games are the ones not happy about it. How is that even a question?

Everyone understands a struggling offense and it being the weak point and concern for it being better as a key to moving through the playoffs.

Point being - Don't be a bitch if you are going to the games. People booed at the Chiefs game because they are a bunch of dumbasses that don't really understand football games can be won other than throwing for 300 yards.

What's the difference between 3-3 or 21-21 halftime score? Nothing as it relates to winning. There is the ignorance in booing. If you are booing a winning team that isn't loosing then that's the proof that a segment of fans do care wether it is pass first or run first or they wouldn't be booing, duh.
[/quote]

Very well said Scharm.

JamieB: "They're not winning how I want them to win, or they're not dominating!"

"BOOOOOOOOO!!!"

When I have went to games in the past, the only booing I did was
at the other team and the refs. I was there to watch a team I love and
try to help them as much as possible.

I know the comparison has been made before, but I would feel like
I was booing my kid's team if I booed the Bengals. I know, pros, millions
of dollars, blah blah. But that shit doesn't make me love either team, or
support them any more or less.

[quote name='KoKaine7777' date='06 January 2010 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1262801638' post='852711']
[b]You read race into things I say. That's your own issue and your way with dealing and or not dealing with the issue at hand. As far as being exclusive who ever mentioned that? Again these are things some of you interject on your own.[/b]
[/quote]

First off, I didn't say Race Card to you in this thread.
And others have accused you of it on other topics too.
I was just pointing it out to you that a lot of people think
you inject race into almost every topic, with almost every post.

Like a wise woman once said, if the entire world calls you an asshole,
then maybe the entire world isn't really against. But you are indeed an asshole.

Think about it.

I am a person that has boo'ed the Bengals. The fans cheer 99% of the time. The KC game the teamed seemed to lack fire. While watching from home I am seeing every good team taking care of business. I expected the team to play with fire as they could wrap up the division.

I don't expect 30 points a game, we don't have the wide recievers to do it, but all the bone head stuff we do like false starts, illegal formations etc. We have to be near leading the leauge in "bone-headed" penalties.

For being a play-off team, they have had some very horrible moments. This is a tricky team, they just kept wining but you never got the feeling that we were playing well.

Would I boo at this weeks play-off game, no, they are playing a quality opponent.

The atmosphere at PBS will be electric this Saturday.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1262800259' post='852701']
blah blah blah 10-6, sweep blah blah, clinch blah blah

Who isnt happy about that? Nobody has made any argument against that and nobody is booing about being in the playoffs (what a silly statement)

If you cant understand that people see an O that has under-preformed to their talent level and are booing them due to that then I dont know what to say to you. People booed the Chiefs game because they got great field position and couldnt get into the endzone against a team that the last place Browns had just put up 41 points against (are you telling me the Browns have a better O than we do?). And spare the the strawman argument that this is our style of football. Nobody plays a style of football that they want to keep the other team in it. Nobody cares if this is a run first or pass first team, they care that the O is underpreforming.
[/quote]
Welcome to the NFL. What a team does one week has no bearing on what happens the next week. Who are you to judge whether it was our O under-performing, or the Chiefs D "over-performing?" That same Chiefs team also beat the stealers, and completely dismantled a broncos team that was playing for their playoff lives. Bottom line is, we won. We didn't fold like these two teams did against an "inferior" opponent. So why boo your team just because they aren't performing to your standards? I get that it's frustrating at times, but I'll take a win any way we can get it.

[quote name='Actium' date='06 January 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1262804572' post='852739']
Guys, we've got this all wrong. Carson asked for "no booze"--he doesn't want the fans to drink anything in the stands.
[/quote]

Hey, that worked for the Jets last week.

If anyone believes that we play a style of football designed to keep other teams close they have bought the bill of goods. I only have to go back to the hard knocks episode where Marvin layed into the team about letting teams hang around after getting beat by the rams in preseason (waits for someone to give me its preseason argument) to show that just isnt true. If you believe that you a damned fool.

[quote name='scharm' date='06 January 2010 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1262800769' post='852706']
I would say the people booing at home games are the ones not happy about it. How is that even a question?

Everyone understands a struggling offense and it being the weak point and concern for it being better as a key to moving through the playoffs.

Point being - Don't be a bitch if you are going to the games. People booed at the Chiefs game because they are a bunch of dumbasses that don't really understand football games can be won other than throwing for 300 yards.

What's the differnece between 3-3 or 21-21 halftime score? Nothing as it relates to winning. There is the ignorance in booing. If you are booing a winning team that isn't loosing then that's the proof that a segment of fans do care wether it is pass first or run first or they wouldn't be booing, duh.
[/quote]

If you believe that they were booing because we werent throwing the ball around, you have fooled youself.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1262805850' post='852750']
If you believe that they were booing because we werent throwing the ball around, you have fooled youself.
[/quote]

You are absolutely wrong. If we ran the ball 3 times and punted you would hear way more boos than if we threw 3 times and punted. The idiots in my section boo and scream at Bratkowski when we run the ball in the first half on 1st down in a 0-0 game. They are ignorant. The most criticized coach on every staff if the offensive coordinator. Know why? Because every idiot fan thinks its as simple as run or pass. You've got the fans who say, my wife who knows nothing about football or my 6 year old son can predict the plays before they happen. And people REALLY think that is the case. It blows my mind. You never hear anyone say, "My 6 year old son was sitting in the stands calling the defenses." Because they think its more complicated. It isn't. The offense is just as complicating as the defense. However, everyone thinks they are offensive geniuses.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1262800259' post='852701']
blah blah blah 10-6, sweep blah blah, clinch blah blah

Who isnt happy about that? Nobody has made any argument against that and nobody is booing about being in the playoffs (what a silly statement)

If you cant understand that people see an O that has under-preformed to their talent level and are booing them due to that then I dont know what to say to you. People booed the Chiefs game because they got great field position and couldnt get into the endzone against a team that the last place Browns had just put up 41 points against (are you telling me the Browns have a better O than we do?). And spare the the strawman argument that this is our style of football. Nobody plays a style of football that they want to keep the other team in it. Nobody cares if this is a run first or pass first team, they care that the O is underpreforming.
[/quote]

what does booing accomplish other than pumping up the other team?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 02:22 PM' timestamp='1262805778' post='852747']
If anyone believes that we play a style of football designed to keep other teams close they have bought the bill of goods. I only have to go back to the hard knocks episode where Marvin layed into the team about letting teams hang around after getting beat by the rams in preseason (waits for someone to give me its preseason argument) to show that just isnt true. If you believe that you a damned fool.
[/quote]

You kill me. You go on and on about this team's weaknesses.
Then act like should boo because of the weaknesses.

No one ever said anything about it being designed to keep other teams around.
It is designed to help one of the youngest, most inexperienced teams, that has
played with a lot of heart and grit, win. And it has.

People are trying to get you, and others, to understand that you don't boo a team
that you are supposed to be there to support. Ecspecially when that team isn't
losing. They have one of the best home records in Franchise history this season.

"BOOOOOO (throughout the game)"

"Oh wait, they won?! They clinched the division and a Playoff spot???!!!"

"WHO-DEY MOTHERBITCHES!!!"

Lame.

[quote name='Hackettj22' date='06 January 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1262806530' post='852757']
You are absolutely wrong. If we ran the ball 3 times and punted you would hear way more boos than if we threw 3 times and punted. The idiots in my section boo and scream at Bratkowski when we run the ball in the first half on 1st down in a 0-0 game. They are ignorant. The most criticized coach on every staff if the offensive coordinator. Know why? Because every idiot fan thinks its as simple as run or pass. You've got the fans who say, my wife who knows nothing about football or my 6 year old son can predict the plays before they happen. And people REALLY think that is the case. It blows my mind. You never hear anyone say, "My 6 year old son was sitting in the stands calling the defenses." Because they think its more complicated. It isn't. The offense is just as complicating as the defense. However, everyone thinks they are offensive geniuses.
[/quote]

If people are booing because we are running and not passing they are idiots. I however dont believe that is the majority. I choose to boo because they cant score on teams we should beat, especially when they have a short field.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='06 January 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1262806715' post='852760']

[color="#FF0000"]No one ever said anything about it being designed to keep other teams around.
played with a lot of heart and grit, win. And it has. [/color]

People are trying to get you, and others, to understand that you don't boo a team
losing. They have one of the best home records in Franchise history this season.

Lame.
[/quote]

So this young inexperienced team plays down to their compition, keeps bad teams around and cant get in the endzone on a short field all designed to win. Are you telling me that you really believe that? Are you telling me that this same young inexperienced team wouldnt rather be up by multiple scores in order to padd the lead in case that inexperience takes over and they start making mistakes that allows the other team to get back in it or take over? Really?

I would argue that because of that inexperience they would want to be up by multiple scores to built in a cushion in case that inexperience does cause them problems.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='06 January 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1262806715' post='852760']

No one ever said anything about it being designed to keep other teams around.
played with a lot of heart and grit, win. And it has.

Lame.
[/quote]

I feel like we are fighting a non winnable battle. There is obviously no convincing them. I hope we make it to the Super Bowl, we will be the only team in history to have their fans boo their own team at halftime and then barely win the championship.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1262807049' post='852764']
So this young inexperienced team plays down to their compition, keeps bad teams around and cant get in the endzone on a short field all designed to win. Are you telling me that you really believe that? Are you telling me that this same young inexperienced team wouldnt rather be up by multiple scores in order to padd the lead in case that inexperience takes over and they start making mistakes that allows the other team to get back in it or take over? Really?

I would argue that because of that inexperience they would want to be up by multiple scores to built in a cushion in case that inexperience does cause them problems.
[/quote]

You simply don't get it. It is a design to keep us in every single game. We will be in a game against any of the powerhouses in the NFL. Unfortunately, that also means we will be in a game with a lesser team. But if the formula works, why change it? If we know that we can plays that style and barely beat the Chiefs vs trying to open up on offense and turn the ball over and put ourselves behind, what's the point? A win is a win, and our coaching staff, gameplan, and players all worked well enough to go 10-5(I'm not counting the NYJ game).

[quote name='Hackettj22' date='06 January 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1262807345' post='852768']
You simply don't get it. It is a design to keep us in every single game. We will be in a game against any of the powerhouses in the NFL. Unfortunately, that also means we will be in a game with a lesser team. But if the formula works, why change it? If we know that we can plays that style and barely beat the Chiefs vs trying to open up on offense and turn the ball over and put ourselves behind, what's the point? A win is a win, and our coaching staff, gameplan, and players all worked well enough to go 10-5(I'm not counting the NYJ game).
[/quote]

No you dont get it. You act as if I am asking for a return to the 2005 fast scoring offense. Im not, I get that time of possession argument and agree with that. However this isnt a time of possession argument. It isnt a open it up vs run it down their throats argument. I could give a shit if we passed the ball on every down or if we ran it on every down, what I do care about is that the end result puts us in the endzone. THAT is the argument.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1262807140' post='852766']
Is it really so hard for some of you to admit that the O has under preformed?
[/quote]

Underperformed to what?

They only have one O-lineman that is playing the same position he did last season.
They only have 2 O-linemen that were even starting for this team last season.
Their QB was coming back from an arm injury that caused him to miss 12 games.
Their leading reciever went to the Seahawks.
They have 2 TEs that wouldn't even be on the roster if it wasn't for preseason injuries.
They lost their #3 WR to injury and then death.
Their #6 overall pick that was slated to be the starting RT didn't start playing in games
until late in the season.

What exactly was you expecting them to perform to?

Oh and here is a fact for you.

The 2008 Stealers won 6 games last year by 7 points or less.
And they had 6 wins by more than 7 points. And 2 of them
were against the Ryan Fitzpatrick led Bengals.

The 2009 Bengals have won 6 games by 7 points or less.
4 of their wins were by more than 7 points.

The Stealers do it, they are great. The Bengals do it, they are letting
teams hang around and deserve to be booed.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='06 January 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1262807140' post='852766']
Is it really so hard for some of you to admit that the O has under preformed?
[/quote]

Yes.

People continue to intentionally confuse a run-heavy offense with an inept office. Clearly we do not have an issue with a run-heavy offense; the problem arises with when the running isn't effective and the team can't generate first downs. You have 4 tries (3, really) to get 10 yards--it doesn't matter how you get them.

Somehow the issue got all confused with whether it's okay to boo or not. These are really 2 separate discussions.

Still, be that as it may, 1 side within this thread is saying "is it okay to boo when your team is underperforming?" The other side, rather than answer, muddies the waters by subtly changing it to a different question--"is it okay to boo your team when they are playing a more boring kind of football that, on average, will produce wins?" Clearly these are not the same thing, and yet both sides continue to act as though they are equivalent.

I think that faction that has stated that they will boo, or at least theoretically supports booing, are being mischaracterized. This is not really necessary because the question can really be boiled down to,

"Is it ever appropriate to boo your team playing at home?" That is yes or no. I'm not concerned with reasons just yet, or the scenarios in which it is appropriate. Just yes or no. I'll start.

Yes.

Archived