Not so good so far

oftt4

Thank you for the kind words...

Yes, Palmer cost us the game, somewhat.

But, Graham has to shoulder a significant portion of the blame... 35 and 28 yard field goals... gotta hit those.

Do, and we're getting the ball back at our 45 yard line with over 3 minutes to play, 3 timeouts, and the 2 minute warning in a 24-20 game instead of 24-14...

We'd have been able to run it down their throat - like Benson had all game. As any Steelers fan would know a 4 point, single score game, changes play calling significantly...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='10 January 2010 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1263138941' post='855377']
Thank you for the kind words...

Yes, Palmer cost us the game, somewhat.

But, Graham has to shoulder a significant portion of the blame... 35 and 28 yard field goals... gotta hit those.

Do, and we're getting the ball back at our 45 yard line with over 3 minutes to play, 3 timeouts, and the 2 minute warning in a 24-20 game instead of 24-14...

We'd have been able to run it down their throat - like Benson had all game. [color="#FF0000"]As any Steelers fan would know a 4 point, single score game, changes play calling significantly...[/color]
[/quote]

... for both teams. ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='10 January 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1263152445' post='855515']
... for both teams. ;)
[/quote]
Graham has got to go. It was dumb to tag him in the first place. I'm not saying he's awful, we should've moved on instead of giving him that big chiunk of change. Kickers are a dime a dozen. On a lighter side, how many people laughed their ass off after Rackers missed that FG last night?

As far as Palmer, you have to start giving him some of the onus. Yes, they've got a lot of O building to do, but if he is an elite or even a really good QB, he should be able to produce with what he has.

[quote name='Hooky' date='11 January 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1263215084' post='855922']
Graham has got to go. It was dumb to tag him in the first place. I'm not saying he's awful, we should've moved on instead of giving him that big chiunk of change. Kickers are a dime a dozen. On a lighter side, how many people laughed their ass off after Rackers missed that FG last night?

As far as Palmer, you have to start giving him some of the onus. Yes, they've got a lot of O building to do, but if he is an elite or even a really good QB, he should be able to produce with what he has.
[/quote]

Like Brady did without Welker?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='10 January 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1263152445' post='855515']
... for both teams. ;)
[/quote]

Let it go Jamie... :3:

even listening to the argument that 6 lost points in a playoff game, that was a final spread of 10, couldn't have changed the outcome is comical.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='12 January 2010 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1263313333' post='856537']
Let it go Jamie... :3:

even listening to the argument that 6 lost points in a playoff game, that was a final spread of 10, couldn't have changed the outcome is comical.
[/quote]

Whatever you need to believe.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='12 January 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1263318177' post='856562']
Good answer.
[/quote]

Well dude your going on and on about how the outcome of the game would have changed if Shayne made those two FGs because of how our players would have tried harder, do you really think the Jets would have just layed down?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='12 January 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1263318403' post='856564']
Well dude your going on and on about how the outcome of the game would have changed if Shayne made those two FGs because of how our players would have tried harder, do you really think the Jets would have just layed down?
[/quote]

No... but Benson alone had run for 169 yards... if you're done 1 score or less with limited time you can still run the ball, right?

When you're down multiple scores with time dwindling the running game becomes a non-factor.

Nobody here is saying we would have definitely won. All anybody here is saying is that those 6 points were HUGE. That game at one score is totally different in the last 5 minutes. Also, I like my chances A LOT better if the game is tight and the Jets have to throw the ball... Sanchez has shown a penchant for tossing picks.

Whereas, the Jets being up two scores with time dwindling, were able to continue to milk the clock with the run game.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='12 January 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1263318659' post='856565']
No... but Benson alone had run for 169 yards... if you're done 1 score or less with limited time you can still run the ball, right?

When you're down multiple scores with time dwindling the running game becomes a non-factor.

Nobody here is saying we would have definitely won. All anybody here is saying is that those 6 points were HUGE. That game at one score is totally different in the last 5 minutes. Also, I like my chances A LOT better if the game is tight and the Jets have to throw the ball... Sanchez has shown a penchant for tossing picks.

Whereas, the Jets being up two scores with time dwindling, were able to continue to milk the clock with the run game.
[/quote]

Ive never said the missed FGs werent huge, Ive only said I dont believe even if made that we would have scored and won the game.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='12 January 2010 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1263309212' post='856504']
Like Brady did without Welker?
[/quote]
Both Pats TDs were to Welker's replacement. That had nothing to do with the Pats' loss. The Ravens just kicked their ass from start to finish. They said that Ray Lewis knew exactly what the Pats offense was going to do every play, apparently, they were right.

Palmer had a crappy game,. You guys can blame the rest of the offense if you want, but realistically, you have to question what kind of SB chances we have with Palmer. If you think we need to maximize the strength of all the offensiv pieces around him to win big, than that dsicredits Palmer's standing as an NFL QB if they need to have everything perfect for Palmer to succeed. I'm watching all of these QBs with equivalent weaponry run up tons of yards while the Bengals passing game struggles. Is it really everybody else.? This is where some smartass jumps in and says, "OK, let's cut Palmer!". I'm obviously not saying that. But is it crazy to suggest that Palmer is a part of the offense that needs work also? Especially late in the season. It's embarrassing that Dirty Sanchez out-played Palmer in a big game and in the cold.

[quote name='Hooky' date='13 January 2010 - 07:31 AM' timestamp='1263385916' post='856816']
Both Pats TDs were to Welker's replacement. That had nothing to do with the Pats' loss. The Ravens just kicked their ass from start to finish. They said that Ray Lewis knew exactly what the Pats offense was going to do every play, apparently, they were right.

Palmer had a crappy game,. You guys can blame the rest of the offense if you want, but realistically, you have to question what kind of SB chances we have with Palmer. If you think we need to maximize the strength of all the offensiv pieces around him to win big, than that dsicredits Palmer's standing as an NFL QB if they need to have everything perfect for Palmer to succeed. I'm watching all of these QBs with equivalent weaponry run up tons of yards while the Bengals passing game struggles. Is it really everybody else.? This is where some smartass jumps in and says, "OK, let's cut Palmer!". I'm obviously not saying that. But is it crazy to suggest that Palmer is a part of the offense that needs work also? Especially late in the season. It's embarrassing that Dirty Sanchez out-played Palmer in a big game and in the cold.
[/quote]

Agree that Welker being out was not the reason for the loss. The Pats played a few other games without Welker and they seemed to do fine. Brady just played like complete ass. Besides, they still had Randy Moss. He's pretty good.

As for the second part, "running up tons of yards" is overrated. The Steelers passing game ran up a shitload of yards and it didnt do us a damned bit of good. The thing is, like it or not, your passing game (and Palmer in particular) just wasnt that good this year.

You guys had a fantastic run game and a very good defense, just like the Steelers did a few years ago. The difference was that even though the Steelers didnt throw for a ton of yards, they were brutally efficient throwing the ball. I dont know if it is Palmers elbow or what, but this was easily his worst full season in the NFL. Lowest yards per attempt of his career, lowest comp % of his career, 2nd lowest passer rating of his career (discounting last year when he only played 4 games).

The Bengals need to figure out what is wrong with him.

[quote name='oftt4' date='13 January 2010 - 07:39 PM' timestamp='1263429542' post='856988']
Agree that Welker being out was not the reason for the loss. The Pats played a few other games without Welker and they seemed to do fine. Brady just played like complete ass. Besides, they still had Randy Moss. He's pretty good.

As for the second part, "running up tons of yards" is overrated. The Steelers passing game ran up a shitload of yards and it didnt do us a damned bit of good. The thing is, like it or not, your passing game (and Palmer in particular) just wasnt that good this year.

You guys had a fantastic run game and a very good defense, just like the Steelers did a few years ago. The difference was that even though the Steelers didnt throw for a ton of yards, they were brutally efficient throwing the ball. I dont know if it is Palmers elbow or what, but this was easily his worst full season in the NFL. Lowest yards per attempt of his career, lowest comp % of his career, 2nd lowest passer rating of his career (discounting last year when he only played 4 games).

The Bengals need to figure out what is wrong with him.
[/quote]

It's pretty simple if you watch the games, the WRs arent getting separation.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='13 January 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1263429930' post='856989']
It's pretty simple if you watch the games, the WRs arent getting separation.
[/quote]
To me it's pretty simple why the WR's aren't getting any separation. When you continually run 8-10 yards patterns and the OC doesn't call a pass play to keep the D honest it's easy for a DB/LB to hug those receivers a little tighter than they typically would because they don't have any reason to respect anything deeper given we rarely take any shots down field anymore. I know we lost that in Henry but Caldwell is fast enough to at least draw some attention. I think poor pass blocking has put the OC in a repetitious state of running shorter pass plays because they CAN'T give Carson or the receivers anytime to run anything deeper. One would typically say, "well then you need to get play action involved." Agreed but when you hand off with the same hand every play due to a bad thumb, it kind of takes play action out of the mix. As a fan you can sit back and watch every play action the Bengals ran this season Carson holds onto the ball with two hands but if he actually hands it off he only uses one. That is a problem. Hard to keep the defense honest when you can't complete a pass over 12 yards because your QB gets happy feet the minute he plants from his 300 step drop. In summary, O-line needs shored up which will help build Carson's confidence back and a fresh OC that is a little more creative with their plays as well as which ones they call at pivotal times throughout a game. The most creative play I saw all season was Chad's TD reception in Minnesota off the fake reverse and what do you know, it worked.

[quote name='Mule_Train' date='14 January 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1263499010' post='857165']
To me it's pretty simple why the WR's aren't getting any separation. When you continually run 8-10 yards patterns and the OC doesn't call a pass play to keep the D honest it's easy for a DB/LB to hug those receivers a little tighter than they typically would because they don't have any reason to respect anything deeper given we rarely take any shots down field anymore. I know we lost that in Henry but Caldwell is fast enough to at least draw some attention. I think poor pass blocking has put the OC in a repetitious state of running shorter pass plays because they CAN'T give Carson or the receivers anytime to run anything deeper. One would typically say, "well then you need to get play action involved." Agreed but when you hand off with the same hand every play due to a bad thumb, it kind of takes play action out of the mix. As a fan you can sit back and watch every play action the Bengals ran this season Carson holds onto the ball with two hands but if he actually hands it off he only uses one. That is a problem. Hard to keep the defense honest when you can't complete a pass over 12 yards because your QB gets happy feet the minute he plants from his 300 step drop. In summary, O-line needs shored up which will help build Carson's confidence back and a fresh OC that is a little more creative with their plays as well as which ones they call at pivotal times throughout a game. The most creative play I saw all season was Chad's TD reception in Minnesota off the fake reverse and what do you know, it worked.
[/quote]

While I do agree that the Oline needs fixed, there were times that they were protecting Carson and he had nobody to get open for him. I could see where having no deep ball which would move CBs up and not have to play off their guy could effect that though. Im just not sold that it was ALL the line.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='15 January 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1263588116' post='857428']
why is it that every time I come into the "Talkin' Shit" forum, Jamie is embarassing himself (and Bengals fans) in some capacity?
[/quote]

Blow me

Archived