Reds sign Aroldis Champan

JBandJoeyV

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/aroldis-chapman-agrees-to-30mm-deal.html

Never really heard of him, but apparently he is one of the 3 best pitchers not in the MLB, along with Strasburg and Yu Darvish.

Signed to a 5 year 30 million dollar deal.

22 year old from Cuba.

HMMMMMM
[quote]1:12pm: Yahoo's Tim Brown narrows down the list of NL Central teams (via Twitter), eliminating the Brewers from the mix.

1:00pm: Buster Olney tweets that it's not the Padres or Dodgers. Seconds later, he chimes in that it's also not Colorado or Atlanta.

12:58pm: MLB.com's Joe Frisaro tweets that it's "definitely" not the Marlins signing Chapman. He hears that it's the Reds.

12:36pm: Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports confirms via Twitter that the Nationals are not the team signing Chapman.

12:27pm: In a follow-up tweet, Passan narrows the mystery team down to an NL Central club, speculating that the Reds look like the best bet. Passan adds that the $30MM deal is for five years.

11:40am: Aroldis Chapman has agreed to a $30MM with an unknown National League team, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports.

The last we heard on Chapman, his main suitors were American League teams (the Angels and Blue Jays) and the largest offer he'd received was around $23MM, so this would qualify as a major surprise.

On Friday, SI.com's Jon Heyman named the Nationals and Marlins as two interested NL teams, but Florida's last bid was around $16MM, so it's unlikely that they nearly doubled their offer to the lefty. Earlier in the week, we heard that the Astros and Mets were out of the running for Chapman. It looks like Washington could be the favorite, but we'll have to wait for more details on this one.[/quote]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='10 January 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1263155182' post='855547']
Sounds like a done deal.

[b]How long until he is in the majors.[/b]

Im having visions of Cueto, Volkie, Chapman....maybe even Bailey.

Could have the makings of a great rotation in a couple years.
[/quote]

He's a lefty who throws 100mph, so probably sooner than later.

its 5 years 25 million with a player option for a 6th year. he is probably going to start in AA and could make it to the majors this year.

if not then our 2011 opening day roster could have this crazy talented rotation:

Volquez-Bailey-Cueto-Chapman-Leake...that is RIDICULOUSLY talented but 2 guys that havent shown anything at the majors yet and the other 3 are damn young and not truly proven really. you have to like the potential though.

Niiiiceee. Hopefully Jay can get his average up this year and he and Joey can tear stuff up and go to the playoffs! Any chance we make a run at the wild card this year? I know we won't have Volq at the start of the year and I don't really know the outfield situation outside of Jay.

[quote name='JC' date='10 January 2010 - 09:13 PM' timestamp='1263176018' post='855767']
Niiiiceee. Hopefully Jay can get his average up this year and he and Joey can tear stuff up and go to the playoffs! Any chance we make a run at the wild card this year? I know we won't have Volq at the start of the year and I don't really know the outfield situation outside of Jay.
[/quote]
Stubbs showed a lot of promise the last couple months. We also have Dickerson.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' date='10 January 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1263181061' post='855806']
Votto? Phillips? Bruce? Rolen?
[/quote]

Potential doesn't = run production, as I don't remember them doing shit last year whether due to injury or just poor performance.

Just sayin'...

They are hoping he is good enough to be in the top 5 starters right away, but if not he'll go to the minors.

I would be happy with a opening rotation of Cueto, Harang, Bailey, Arroyo, and Chapman. Then when volquez is ready get rid of either harang or arroyo. But knowing the reds at least 1 of those 5 will be injuried anyways so it wont be an issue.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 January 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1263253007' post='856283']
I just can't get too excited about the Reds yet. Wake me up when its April. Looks like a good signing though.
[/quote]

I'm just really bummed that I'm having to turn to baseball this early...

• 2 weeks later...
[url="http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/dusty_baker_destroys"]link[/url]

[quote][size="6"]Dusty Baker Destroys Aroldis Chapman's Arm Within Minutes Of Arrival[/size]

[img]http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Aroldis.article_large.jpg[/img]

January 18, 2010 | Issue 46•02 | Onion Sports

CINCINNATI—Within just a few minutes of Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman's arrival in the United States, Reds manager Dusty Baker had already overused and mangled the 21-year-old's arm beyond recognition, team sources reported Sunday. Baker, who has been accused of overtaxing young pitchers' arms in the past, reportedly greeted Chapman with a bucket of 250 baseballs and told him to "hurl them" as fast as he could, later encouraging the fastballer to "go nuts" with his pitching style. "He didn't even let me stretch out first," Chapman told reporters through an interpreter. "And when I started to wince from the pain and soreness, he just gave me a thumbs up, winked, and told me to keep throwing." At press time, Chapman had already been to the hospital for an oblique strain, a torn rotator cuff, and his second Tommy John surgery of the week.

[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Archived